AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Anime Movies

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 10:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Talking Top 10 Anime Movies

I've been trying to come up with a new subject, and wouldn't you know it would be the most obvious. I should have done this one a long time ago.

I am not going to get into a discussion about these films right now. I will come back later and do that simply because there are just too many to discuss.

So here is my list in reverse order:

10. Tokyo Godfathers
    9. Okko's Inn
    8. A Silent Voice
    7. Spirited Away
    6. A Letter to Momo
    5. Your Name
    4. Princess Mononoke
    3. Only Yesterday
    2. Mirai
    1. Grave of the Fireflies

Honorable Mention:

Ponyo
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion
    Summer Wars
    Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Millennium Actress
    Miss Hokusai

There is a lot of Studio Ghibli in that list. Obvisouly.

So I will discuss later. Meanwhile, post here about your own favorite anime movie.

Palace of the Fans, Cincinnati

Senior Member Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier has a reputation beyond repute Digimon_Sommelier's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts 007 - Squirtle 258 - Mudkip Gabumon
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2024 12:40 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Top 10 Anime Movies

Ladies and gentlemen, the time has come for my Top 10.

1. Digimon: The Movie
    2. Pokemon: The Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back
    3. Paprika
    4. Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop
    5. Spirited Away
    6. Ponyo
    7. Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie
    8. Weathering With You
    9. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - Mugen Train
    10. Jujutsu Kaisen 0

I loved all of them, except I took issue with Frozen Teardrop's plot, where they had to kill a little girl to restore peace. I mean, holiest of craps, that was awful.
    Last edited by Digimon_Sommelier; 04-09-2022 at 09:07 PM.
    My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I hope to see Jujutsu Kaisen 0 this week.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Tokyo Godfathers was inspired by John Ford's 3 Godfathers. The reason I say inspired, rather than a re-make, is because I don't believe John Wayne would ever appear in the same film as a drag queen. It is a completely different movie.

Tokyo Godfathers has excitement, comedy, and a few teary-eyed moments. We certainly lost director Satoshi Kon way too soon. Among anime directors, I might put him second to Hayao Miyazaki.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Looking over my list, I noticed a lack of dark anime. Odd, since I am a fan of dark anime. Then I remembered Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue. I've talked about that one before as a good Halloween anime. Add it to my honorable mention list.

But for now, the next movie on my Top 10 list, starting at the bottom, is Okko's Inn. This one tugs at your heart. It begins harshly enough with the auto accident which makes Okko an orphan. Not a typical beginning for a film which makes you feel good at the end. Okko goes to live in the inn owned and operated by her grandmother. Though she seems to have adjusted to the loss of her parents, Okko still needs to find herself -- and she does with the help of two ghosts and a demon.

Okko's Inn has some good characters in it, especially our little heroine Okko who proves to be strong and resilient. It's a good family film, though you might consider if your youngest can handle a story which begins with a child losing her parents.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Maybe I'm just a big softie at heart, but A Silent Voice is another one of my favorite anime movies. It is directed by Naoko Yamada, who also directed the TV series K-On, as well as the K-On movie.

Grade school boy Shoya leads his class in bullying the new girl, Shoko, who happens to be deaf. Eventually, Shoko is forced to change schools, and although the entire class was responsible, it is Shoya who gets the blame. Fast forward several years, and Shoya's life is a total mess. He just happens to be reunited with Shoko, and a relationship develops. I felt that they film does not really explore the possibility of romance, but instead it falls just short. Still it does tug at your heart.

The English language release trailer:

The original Japanese release trailer:

Note the difference in the marketing approach?

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-29-2024 04:10 PM
    Threads

Welcome to the Space Show
    Little Nemo
    Ghost in the Shell
    Kaku Ren Bo
    Summer Wars
    The Boy and the Beast Wolf Children
    Ah! My Goddess
    When marnie Was There
    Vampire Hunter D
    Into the Forest of Fireflies’ Light
    Earwig and the Witch

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

It didn't make my list, but I did like The Boy and the Beast. I missed Earwig and the Witch. I hope Netflix gets the DVD.

But speaking of Studio Ghibli, the next film on my list, which now I think should have been rated higher, is Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away. This film not only has great animation, but a fully developed storyline, complex and well developed characters, and that Ghibli magic. The English dub is even better than decent! Even the trailer gets to me.

Although I really hate the way Disney puts their name all over this trailer. They did purchase the US distribution rights, but the trailer would make those who did not know better think Disney produced this movie. Disney isn't that capable.

One of our local theaters is advertising a Studio Ghibli festival. About a half dozen films will be given a two day showing each over the next few months. Anyone else see this in their local theater?
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 03-29-2022 at 08:20 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Sixth on my list is A Letter to Momo. Again, a young girl tries to get over a tragic loss, but this time with the help of three half-witted goblins who help her find her courage.

Well drawn and animated, with a rich story, A Letter to Momo is another heart-wrencher. You won't forget this film.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Number 5 on my list is Your Name. A high school boy and a high school girl, strangers to each other, begin exchanging bodies. Not that they want to. So you can guess where this will lead. A bunch of laughs with the two finally meeting and falling in love. Well, that does happen. But there is a tragic twist, a fight against time itself, and a coming disaster which threatens the entire population of a small town.

Your Name is directed by Makoto Shinkai, who also directed The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Weathering With You.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

What is the most popular Studio Ghibli film of all time? I have no idea. But if I were to place a bet, I think it would be on Princess Mononoke.

Miyazaki takes a power play with political overtones and mixes it with fantasy and mythology. Again, he creates some great characters for us. Interestingly, even the bad guys are not necessarily all bad, just maybe ethically confused? If you have not seen it, its a great watch:

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Only Yesterday is another Studio Ghibli classic, only one with a bit of controversy. Studio Ghibli sold the American distribution rights for all their films to Disney under the condition that Disney not change anything. This might have been in response to Disney screwing up the English dub to Kiki's Delivery Service. Disney objected to a reference to menstruation in Only Yesterday. Since they were not allowed to cut the reference in the English dub, it would take years before Only Yesterday could be seen in the US. It was worth the wait.

This is more of an adult anime. Twenty-seven year old Taeko has reached a crossroads in life, and the spirit of her childhood tries to help her make the right decision. Maybe some of you have been there. If so, you would appreciate this film.

Last edited by PictureGuy; 04-02-2022 at 08:02 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Talking Re: Top 10 Anime Movies

Mirai is a great film, though the title is a bit misleading. Even the trailer is misleading. The story is not about Mirai, but her older brother, four-year-old Kun. You may not think a kid that young would have an identity crises, but think about it. What goes through a child's mind when he discovers he is just one small part of an entire world?

Mirai is directed by Mamoru Hosoda, who also made Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, The Boy and the Beast, and most recently Belle.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Don't just read this thread. Contribute! Talk about your favorite anime movie!

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

And now we come to the top film on my list, Grave of the Fireflies. Of course it would have to be a Studio Ghibli film, but expect no fantasy nor a happy ending. A 14-year-old boy must care for his 4-year-old sister by himself during the final months of World War II. Grave of the Fireflies may be the saddest anime I have ever watched.

I know people are reading this. Instead of just reading, post about your own favorite anime film(s). I am getting a bit tired of these one-way conversations.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

When I first made out my list, I left off Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue. When someone asks for a recommendation for a Halloween anime, this is the one I recommend. It's a classic psycho drama, mind f-ck.

I remember Mima when she was sane.

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2024 08:26 PM
    Threads

Akira
    Macross Do You Remember Love
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Your Name
    Princess Mononoke
    Spirited Away
    Perfect Blue
    Ghost in the Shell
    Char's Counterattack
    Fist of the North Star
    Last edited by ParaParaJMo; 04-06-2022 at 02:24 PM.
    Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

Senior Member Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n has a reputation beyond repute Clayton_n's Avatar
    Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Did I mention Paprika? That was awesome.

Anime is a lot like sex. Done right it's a beautiful act of creation that brings a little more light into the world. If it's sick and wrong... it's even better.

Author of "Slasher School Days", "How to Be an Anime Character", and "The Complete Lesbian Storybook" available from Amazon.com

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ParaParaJMo View Post
    Char's Counterattack
    Fist of the North Star
    I have seen or at least heard of all the others on your list, but these two I don't know. Tell us about them.

BTW, at the end of the month, Perfect Blue will have a 25th anniversary showing at the AFI Theater in Silver Spring, MD, just outside Washington DC. I hope I have the time to check it out. I never saw it in an actual theater.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_n View Post
    Did I mention Paprika? That was awesome.
    I didn't care for Paprika when it first came out. But the way everyone keeps going on about it, I think I should give it a second chance.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Honorable Mention: Ponyo

I really hate it when Disney puts their name all over a Studio Ghibli trailer. Sure they own the US distribution rights, but everyone goes away thinking this is a Disney film. Studio Ghibli's worst is better than what Disney puts out nowadays.

But speaking of Ponyo. I really loved the background art. It reminded me a bit of van Gogh.

It's a great kids film. Maybe the best kids film in the past 20 years.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 04-06-2022 at 09:05 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Honorable Mention: Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion

The first two Puella Magi Madoka Magica movies were a rehash of the series. The third is an entirely new story, just as dark as the original. As I say, this is not your little sister's magical girl anime. Nothing is as it seems, except for the betrayal.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Honorable Mention: Summer Wars

Boy meets girl. Boy tries to save mankind from a virtual world invasion. Boy gets girl.

I like the psychedelic look of the virtual world.

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2024 08:26 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    I have seen or at least heard of all the others on your list, but these two I don't know. Tell us about them.
    For Char's Counterattack, I'm going to take it that you're not a Gundam fan. It's a movie that concludes the rivalry between Amuro and Char, which started in the first Gundam series.

And Fist of the North Star is more of a fan service movie about how Kenshiro has to find Yuria, his true love, but with violence that is more faithful to the original manga.
    Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ I've seen a few of the Gundam franchise series. Some I like, some I don't, some I an neutral on. If I am going to get into a mecha anime, series or movie, it will have to have a different twist. Too many are just rehashing prior mecha anime. I liked Iron Blooded Orphans for a while, but I got bored about 2/3 of the way through.

But that's just me. I recognize that the Gundam franchise is one of the most successful in anime. It has it's audience, and it gives them what they want.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Honorable Mention: Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind

Two of Miyazaki's trademarks are flying and a concern for the environment. Nausicaa has them both.

It's got Capt. Picard on the English dub!
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 04-09-2022 at 08:24 PM.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Honorable Mention: My Neighbor Totoro

This is the film that first gave Studio Ghibli it's reputation. I understand that Hayao Miyazaki put some autobiographical material into the script; i.e., a mother who is absent from her family due to illness. It may be for children, but it is a movie adults can well appreciate.

BTW, where did everybody go this weekend? It got suddenly quiet again.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Honorable Mention: Millennium Actress

A lost love leads a young girl on a lifelong journey to becoming an iconic film star. This anime is more for adults, though some older kids should appreciate it.

Doesn't one of the characters look like a character from Paranoia Agent? Well, they are both from Satoshi Kon.

Gil
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I just saw "The Spine of Night" Starring Lucy Lawless

Last edited by Clayton_n; 04-12-2022 at 08:57 PM.

Member Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip has a reputation beyond repute Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-06-2022 03:44 AM
    Threads

This thread has reminded me that I really need to watch some of these anime movies!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information