AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: long term sequels

Junior Member teankun is a splendid one to behold teankun is a splendid one to behold teankun is a splendid one to behold teankun is a splendid one to behold teankun is a splendid one to behold teankun is a splendid one to behold teankun is a splendid one to behold teankun's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-29-2018 12:33 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default long term sequels

With Tron: Legacy about to be released, I’ve been thinking about other long-term sequels, movies that are release a decade or more after the original. Let me clarify that for me this excludes remakes or re-imaginings such as Tim Burrton’s Planet of Apes, but those that are actual additions to the continuity and preferably also have the original characters via the original actors. For example, Tron: Legacy has Bruce Boxleitner and Jeff Bridges reprising both their respective real world characters of Alan Bradley and Kevin Flynn as well as their program characters respectively Tron and Clu.
    One of the earliest long-term sequels I can remember is 1983’s Psycho II, sequel to one of Alfred Hitchcock’s most famous movies released almost twenty years after the original. In fact, that was the tag line: “It's 22 years later and Norman Bates is coming home.” This starred the original actor, Anthony Perkins, and he would also star in a later sequel in 1986 and a prequel in 1990.
    Another long-term sequel about this time is 2010, sequel of Kubrick’s 2001:A Space Odyssey. This was also an adaptation of the book 2010 which, of course, itself was also the sequel to the book 2001, both of which written by the same person, Arthur C. Clarke. (Clarke also wrote two more sequels, 2061 and 3001, but so far there have been no plans to make these movies.) The character Heywood Floyd is in both movies, but is played by different actors, William Sylvester in the original and Roy Scheider in the sequel. On the other hand, Keir Dullea played the character Dave Bowman in both movies and Douglas Rain also did the voice for HAL 9000 in both movies.

Off hand I can’t think of too many other long-term sequels in the 80’s or 90’s, but here have been quite a few in the second half of the past decade. There was the fourth Indiana Jones movie, the fourth Rambo, and the final Rocky movie. One particular note of Rocky Balboa was the actor’s age was incorporated into the plot with the character’s age.
    The long-term sequel trend contrasts with the Star Wars prequels. While generally these involved totally new characters played totally new actors (with the exception of Ewan McGregor playing a younger Alec Guinness), most of actors reprising their roles, namely Frank Oz, James Earl Jones, Peter Mayhew, and Anthony Daniels, were primarily voice roles; in any case, their older features were never shown. The only reprising actor to actually do an on screen performance with his face totally visible was Ian McDiarmid reprising the role as Palpatine aka the Emperor. Fortunately, the actor’s older features was already compromised in the earlier movie Return of the Jedi, when the younger actor was given extreme makeup to give a deformed look so that the while older actor looked as a younger (as well as less deformed) character. He also played the role in the DVD version of The Empire Strikes Back
    Anyone else know of any other long-term sequels I might have missed?

in other forums I was reminded of the franchises for:
    Terminator
    Toy Story
    Die Hard
    Wall Street
    as well as
    1939 - The Wizard of Oz
    1985 - Return to Oz
    1961 - Hustler
    1986 - The Color of Money
    1974 - Chinatown
    1990 - The Two Jakes
    1974 - The Godfather Part II
    1990 - The Godfather Part III
    1977 - The Rescuers
    1990 - The Rescuers Down Under
    1981 - Escape from New York
    1996 - Escape from L.A.
    1976 - Carrie
    1999 - The Rage: Carrie 2
    For a couple others not in the 80s or 90s:
    1991 - Silence of the Lambs
    2001 - Hannibal
    1941 - The Maltese Falcon
    1975 - The Black Bird

The Savage. -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Hungover
    Gifts Present Beer
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-25-2012 04:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: long term sequels

the only one i can think of off the top of my head is Blues Brothers 2000

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Alice in Wonderland could be an odd consideration since it's technically a sequel but of the book, not of a movie.

Straight Outta Motown! Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Paint Palette Mic Sunglasses
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-28-2014 02:35 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sleepy_Ninja313

I Heard that there will be a Kill Bill 3, but Quentin Tarantino wants ten years to pass by, so that means it will come out in 2014.
    Man that is whack!

Token Black Guy

Senior Member Jmosies has a reputation beyond repute Jmosies has a reputation beyond repute Jmosies has a reputation beyond repute Jmosies has a reputation beyond repute Jmosies has a reputation beyond repute Jmosies has a reputation beyond repute Jmosies has a reputation beyond repute Jmosies has a reputation beyond repute Jmosies has a reputation beyond repute Jmosies has a reputation beyond repute Jmosies has a reputation beyond repute Jmosies's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-20-2011 10:17 PM
    Threads

Would Predators count? I never saw it so I'm not sure if it's a direct sequel.

Closed Thread

Thread Information