AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Since when did having an opinion become an insult?

They should have named it Doom4 or something DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM! has a reputation beyond repute DOOM!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Drunk
    Gifts Binoculars Kawaiislice Medkit
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2023 04:46 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Re: Since when did having an opinion become an insult?

Quote Originally Posted by YokoKuwabara View Post
    They refused to sell them the cupcakes because the cupcakes were gay.
    They sure were and I agree. Goddamn gay cupcakes!

It's never safe to turn off your computer - Silent Strike

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

There doesn't need to be laws that force companies to treat everyone equally. First of all, it doesn't really solve the problem, because a ban will not convince the evil store owner of anything. Second of all, you're going to helping out the evil store owner by giving him business. Freedom of speech and boycotts are the weapons with which this ideological battle should be fought.

All of the arguments I've seen for laws which prohibit denial of service in any occasion (even discrimination) have not really convinced me. The most amusing one would be the one about a minority living in some small village were everyone is a racist and denies them of service. Why would a person chose to live there in the first place? Even if laws forced the racists to serve them, they would still always feel unwelcome. In addition, they'd be helping those racists turn a profit.

Lastly, I'm fine if the LBGT + friends community wants to boycott the bakery. Nonviolent boycott is the best response to nonviolent denial of service. The government, which uses violence as its ultimate means, is not the answer to this kind of problem.

Oh great and powerful Eris. Give us a sign as to guide us on our lofty quest of knowledge.
    You don't need to be such a tool. Use that round thing above your shoulders.
    Last edited by Wio; 09-29-2010 at 03:41 AM.

Senior Member brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74's Avatar
    Gil
    Confused
    Gifts Cds Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2012 08:00 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    There doesn't need to be laws that force companies to treat everyone equally. First of all, it doesn't really solve the problem, because a ban will not convince the evil store owner of anything. Second of all, you're going to helping out the evil store owner by giving him business. Freedom of speech and boycotts are the weapons with which this ideological battle should be fought.

All of the arguments I've seen for laws which prohibit denial of service in any occasion (even discrimination) have not really convinced me. The most amusing one would be the one about a minority living in some small village were everyone is a racist and denies them of service. Why would a person chose to live there in the first place? Even if laws forced the racists to serve them, they would still always feel unwelcome. In addition, they'd be helping those racists turn a profit.

Lastly, I'm fine if the LBGT + friends community wants to boycott the bakery. Nonviolent boycott is the best response to nonviolent denial of service. The government, which uses violence as its ultimate means, is not the answer to this kind of problem.

I don't believe any of us disagree with you on that, but really,there is no real reason to boycott a place because they refused to make a special order because of what the special order was.

And yes, gay cupcakes. If they are cupcakes that stand for homosexuality, and so many people insist on refering to homosexuals as gay, then how would that title not apply?

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't believe any of us disagree with you on that, but really...
    Unless you're misunderstanding me, I think you're wrong. I think it's far more common that people use litigation and legislation "to convince" others of their beliefs.

...there is no real reason to boycott a place because they refused to make a special order because of what the special order was.
    Well we're not talking about MLK here, we're talking about LBGT. They are not known for their tolerance. I'd say that bakery got off easily considering the movement it's crossing. He could have been sued or even had his family threatened.

Senior Member Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis has a reputation beyond repute Anoleis's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-18-2016 04:10 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I was asking that Eris close the thread if it seems fit. Seeing as people are now just bickering over the minute details of the original story.
    Last edited by Anoleis; 09-29-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information