AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Germophobes?

Member HAL 9000 is on a distinguished road HAL 9000's Avatar
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-12-2010 01:56 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Germophobes?

What's your opinion on the people above? Are they overly obsessed with cleaning, or are they just being sanitary? Are they doing it to impress others, or for themselves only? And if they have children, do you think they should be homeschooled to avoid the viruses and other bacteria, or go to a normal school to not be affected by the same bacteria later in life?
    Avvie and sig set by me.

Member Elflet is on a distinguished road Elflet's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Gifts Be Mine Black Cat 041 - Zubat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-12-2010 01:06 AM
    Threads

Default Re: Germophobes?

The term phobia is actually a psychological disorder-in order to be a true phobia, it must be in combination: Disturbing, Atypical, Maladaptive and Persistent. Also, a phobia is different from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) which is different from Obsessive Disorder(OD) and Hypochondria.
    ,__,
    {o.o}
    ( /__)
    =="="==
    whoot.

Member HAL 9000 is on a distinguished road HAL 9000's Avatar
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-12-2010 01:56 AM
    Threads

I believe 'germophobe' is a bit nicer to the person / people than saying 'clean freak' or 'germ freak.' I'm going by respect with the name. I do not mean they are scared of germs, although they could be. I'm saying they either can't stand them, or they don't want to have them around.
    Avvie and sig set by me.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elflet View Post
    The term phobia is actually a psychological disorder-in order to be a true phobia, it must be in combination: Disturbing, Atypical, Maladaptive and Persistent. Also, a phobia is different from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) which is different from Obsessive Disorder(OD) and Hypochondria.
    OCD is closely related to phobias, in that you treat them the same way, and they have similar symptoms. Though excessive cleanliness is typically due to OCD (a cleaning ritual to alleviate the fear of having come into contact with a nonspecific germ or a chemical), and not to an actual phobia (a fear of germs). Or rather, as you see, there is generally some degree of overlap.
    Last edited by Eris; 09-12-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

boopaloop! 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-20-2011 12:53 PM
    Threads

For the second there I thought this thread was German-related.

Fuchsia Ruler Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah has a reputation beyond repute Meenah's Avatar
    Gil
    Sassy
    Gifts Heart Pisces Double Bento
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2016 06:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

^Lol.

Germophobes are pretty weird imo, I don't see whats wrong being all clean and sanitary. Its more of an extreme thing and they need someone to talk to. I don't like germs at all, and I like a clean enviroment. I don't want germs to ruin my life at all because of that.

Aggressively stupid Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte has a reputation beyond repute Nanobyte's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Kawaiislice Alice Pocket Watch
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-09-2024 10:36 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

You can't help it if you're afraid of something, I guess.
    You can like, try to get over it, or take chill-pills, but you'll always have that fear.
    I for instance have a fear of airplanes. ._.

Senior Member brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74's Avatar
    Gil
    Confused
    Gifts Cds Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2012 08:00 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Germophobes are very anal retentive people.

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Having actually been a germaphobe (>_> @ people hating...), I can say with some pretty good certainty that it is one of the most miserable and lonely things that one could probably experience. You're basically afraid... of everything that exists outside your own person. It is horrible, and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

Over the years, I've improved stupendously and have gotten to the point where I can function normally now. (there are little things here and there, but they are trivial and unnoticeable)

It definitely stems from OCD, which can manifest it's self in, well, anything really. I'm told it's an off-shoot side effect after adjusting with high-functioning autism, which I can't say for certain that is the case, but it is a reasonable possibility.

And, if I may, just say one last important note: I attribute my success with the OCD/germaphobia to the help and support from all of my friends. Probably the LAST thing you should do if you in fact know someone with a problem as such is to ostracize and ignore/make fun of them; this will only hurt the person more and most likely make the problem even worse.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Closed Thread

Thread Information