AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Being Shallow

Anime Sekai Kenkyuuin GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™'s Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Systems NES Systems NES Controller Iron Man MkII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-01-2011 10:45 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Re: Being Shallow

I don't see why we need to call anyone silly or be so defensive about this matter. Truth is , a lot of people value what they perceive as beauty , just as much as personality(like YokoKuwabara said).
    And i don't see anything wrong with that. Maybe judging by looks alone can be a considered "shallow" but otherwise it's pretty normal to prefer a more aesthetically plasing partner.
    @Miss M
    Things aren't black and white. If you enjoy being with 500 pound , smelly gamers , that's fine. I think you should get off your moral high horse and stop judging people for not wanting to settle for someone whose looks they don't like.

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -Mihawk- View Post
    I don't see why we need to call anyone silly or be so defensive about this matter. Truth is , a lot of people value what they perceive as beauty , just as much as personality(like YokoKuwabara said).
    And i don't see anything wrong with that. Maybe judging by looks alone can be a considered "shallow" but otherwise it's pretty normal to prefer a more aesthetically plasing partner.
    @Miss M
    Things aren't black and white. If you enjoy being with 500 pound , smelly gamers , that's fine. I think you should get off your moral high horse and stop judging people for not wanting to settle for someone whose looks they don't like.
    Hm, I didn't think I was "judging" anyone or being rude. I was simply explaining my own opinions. That's what discussion forums are for ...

I also said nothing about "500 pound smelly gamers" nor did I say "you need to be with someone who you find unattractive". I simply pointed out the connection between certain traits don't always fit, and how over-generalizations aren't always true to reality.

Also, I think I explained pretty well in my posts how things aren't always black and white.

I'm not entirely sure of what "moral high horse" i'm on. Maybe you need to learn how to comprehend posts.
    Last edited by Miss Moonlight; 09-20-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

If you value form over functionality, in people or in objects, to the point where functionality is practically irrelevant, you are shallow. This is an observation not an insult, and anyone that uses it as one or interprets it as one when it isn't is stupid. If you value functionality over form, to the point where form is practically irrelevant, you are practical. This is an observation not a compliment, and anyone that uses it as one or interprets it as one when it isn't is stupid.

That being said, most people favor practicality and depth in a person. If this matters to you, feel free to change this about yourself. Complaining about how unfair or mean people are because they do not find these qualities(or lack thereof) endearing in you makes you whiny in addition to shallow/deep and impractical/practical. Similarly, if your standards for attractiveness are too high, good luck finding and keeping someone.

As for finding a romantic partner or partners, there is nothing wrong with basing your choices entirely or mostly upon looks PROVIDED ALL INVOLVED UNDERSTAND THIS. Implying otherwise through word or deed is duplicitous. In addition, if you come to a situation where you are no longer physically attracted to the person SO LONG AS YOU ARE OPEN AND HONEST WITH THEM ABOUT IT AND ATTEMPT TO DISCUSS IT WITH THEM, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Hell, if you want to lie and cheat I guess that's up to you, but don't expect people to think you're all that trustworthy. Untrustworthiness is another one of those traits which people typically find unpalatable. If this is a problem for you, well, it's your choice.
    Last edited by Sanosuke23; 09-20-2010 at 04:29 AM.
    Visit the Toy Dungeon Studios Store and buy a shirt or zipper pull, damnit!

Senior Member brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74 has a reputation beyond repute brolyx74's Avatar
    Gil
    Confused
    Gifts Cds Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2012 08:00 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

One thing I should clear up. I'm not really talking about marriage. I'm talking about like high school, college, bar dating. You know, it starts out dating, and could possible turn into a long term relationship, but that may or may not be your first goal. Its somewhat different when your in a long term commitment with someone, because you have formed a bond with them, but for like boyfriend girlfriend, college, bar scene, that sort of stuff, I see nothing wrong with it.

Senior Member Bugsiee has a reputation beyond repute Bugsiee has a reputation beyond repute Bugsiee has a reputation beyond repute Bugsiee has a reputation beyond repute Bugsiee has a reputation beyond repute Bugsiee has a reputation beyond repute Bugsiee has a reputation beyond repute Bugsiee has a reputation beyond repute Bugsiee has a reputation beyond repute Bugsiee has a reputation beyond repute Bugsiee has a reputation beyond repute Bugsiee's Avatar
    Gil
    Asleep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-22-2011 08:54 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think it's okay to be shallow to a certain extent. I think you should draw the line when you start putting people down just to make yourself feel better or to make yourself seem perfect.
    I should have seen it in the sky at first, but now i see it in her eyes fireworks.
    All i see is fireworks, every night it's fireworks, all i see is fireworks, taking off like fireworks. - Drake feat Alicia Keys

boopaloop! 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-20-2011 12:53 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Moonlight View Post
    And really, if you had a wife and she was scarred from an accident, she would instantly become your "friend"? getting a divorce over such an issue seems outright ridiculous.
    Exactly in what part of my sentence did I say the word "instantly"? It's not like I would run for the door or form a quick verbal strategy to dump her. I just couldn't be satisfied with her looking like that and I would probably consider the alternatives after a while.

And I guess you can be supportive and stay with her because you desire to, which I imagine would be a lot cheaper than paying for surgery.
    Desire to be romantically involved with someone who now barely looks like a woman? No, I would desire to be there for her because of what we had, but permanently sacrificing my sex life for her would be a bit too much.

Then again, if she wants the surgery (considering it would be her body), that's an altogether different issue.
    Someone willing to suffer this much because of some crazy principle is an idiot and I don't associate with idiots.

But, telling her "you need this surgery because I can't stand to look at you" probably wouldn't work well in your favor.
    Again, you appear to think of me as the real life version of some It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia character. I'm not an idiot, I would be subtle, take it slow, and start with the ways it would benefit her, not me.

Closed Thread

Thread Information