AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Anime Cliches...this should be fun.

Senior Member John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson has a reputation beyond repute John Watson's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Mars Crystal Henshin Pen Rainbow Ribbon Sagittarius
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2014 12:03 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Anime Cliches...this should be fun.

Dont you think anime cliches kill the show entirely? When you spot a cliche...you just wanna stop watching? xD I wanna know what cliches you HATE and maybe some you actually like. Be specific, alright? This should be a funny thread. So name 3 you like, and 3 you rage at when you witness them.

Cliches I like:

- The emotional "grab the wrist before they run away and pull them into a tight embrace and confess your love to them" cliche. *Sigh* Romantic~

- The loud, blood-curtling scream a character makes when a person they love dies in their arms. I love that I dunno why...>>;

- Stupid and silly male leads in a shounen anime. Naruto, thats why. ♥ Not every male lead has to be super cool, gorgeous and strong right?

Cliches I RAGE at:

- Pathetic female leads who always needs to be rescued by some hawt random dude that showed up outta nowhere!

- Too much talking during epic fight scenes! No one wants to hear your life story so get on with the fighting plz. Or when the character alluva sudden has a super strong secret attack ready and explains how they're gonna use it. Why didnt you just use it the first time?!

- Any hotspring scene in anime EVER. Random dumb fanservice too. We already know whats gonna happen...

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'd like to point out that it's not whether the show is cliche or not, it's how you use them. Certain character archetypes automatically can make a show bad, such as tsundere. Some anime like Angel Beats! and Setokai no Ichizon fail to use any cliches correctly.

A show that destroys any cliches is Kamichu! a generic story about a middle school girl in love who just happens to be a god. Might as well plug in the review I did. It's honestly one of the best anime out there in terms of using a weak premise to its advantage.
    Last edited by Diocletian; 07-03-2010 at 11:02 PM.

boopaloop! TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2012 08:46 PM
    Threads

The character with amnesia, of course!
    "Who are you, what's your name?"
    "I-...I don't remember...but I bet that througout the show my memories will start coming back, and then place together some kind of something that has to do with EVERYTHING."

"dude your user name is B.A! props! sounds like a stoner metal band *loves stoner metal*...i might steal it >.>"

-RaShayRitto

Senior Member Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2010 09:06 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by TheThunderBringer View Post
    The character with amnesia, of course!
    "Who are you, what's your name?"
    "I-...I don't remember...but I bet that througout the show my memories will start coming back, and then place together some kind of something that has to do with EVERYTHING."
    xD

I think no one cliche can be bad if used right. Even amnesia can be done right, take a look at the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. Granted, not good, but the premise that Freddy may not have raped those kids was actually pretty interesting, and the fact they blocked all that out and try to go over that was an interesting idea. Even tsuandres can be done well, just look at Rukia. Bleach is a disappointing series, but Rukia is one of the better parts of it.

Although having to have a loli character in any fanservice series ticks me off like you wouldn't believe.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Sudden amnesia

The indecisive male lead in every ecchi and/or harem series and most romance series.

Suddenly an idol becomes a regular character.

Awesome badass killer character becomes a non-killing hero of justice. (Easily my biggest pet peeve)

Shouting attack names before attacking, rather than attacking and not shouting anything, or shouting while attacking.

Swords magically beating guns. Bull. Crap.

Getting stronger out of desperation to protect friends.

Mecha and technology in general being treated like voodoo-magic in futuristic settings.

The pure girl that's a part of every adventuring group, and is in fact absolutely useless; you know, the kind that's always a healing mage in crappy JRPGs. A good example being Orihime from Bleach.

Poor use of tsundere or dojikko...which accounts for almost all use of either cliche.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Pathetic female leads who always needs to be rescued by some hawt random dude that showed up outta nowhere!

Going to elaborate on that and say female leads that are built up to be strong characters but then suddenly become helpless when the main villain captures them. Why couldn't the female character simply kick the villains ***?

Not sure if it's a cliche but I hate it when a show follows the formula hero gets beaten, hero trains, hero wins. That just makes the show predictable and tells you how the show will end. These types of shows always have the heroes coming out unharmed. The biggest culprits of this is DBZ and Bleach. Now to show a good anime that uses this formula I'll go with the original Dragon Ball. They at least added to the training. Either with comedy or adventure. Not just punching air under gravity or some other such nonsense. I'll admit bleach tried be in depth with the training but 90% of the time they don't show the training making it so it has no impact on the show since they cut to something else.

For the most part I don't mind cliches as long as they're done well.

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 11:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
    Some anime like Angel Beats! and Setokai no Ichizon fail to use any cliches correctly.
    Says a guy who hasn't even seen half the show.
    Fail.

AF's Messiah. The Second Coming. Jesu Christo. .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Gifts Heart Rainbow Ribbon Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2014 01:25 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sev121993 PSN ID: sev121993 Steam ID: sev121993

The fact that if someone is slapping in anime, it always, always goes in slow motion with the exact same sound effect. And did I mention the same shocked expression on the slapee? -_-
    Also the guy falling on top of the girl in logic defying positions and staring at each other awkwardly for about 5 seconds.
    Last edited by .Sev; 07-04-2010 at 01:02 AM.

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 11:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: Anime Cliches...this should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by sev121993 View Post
    Also the guy falling on top of the girl in logic defying positions and staring at each other awkwardly for about 5 seconds.
    I find that cliche rather cute but it becomes much less cute when he ends up groping her somewhere and she screams and smacks him. =_=

I think ecchi cliches are the worst type. I also hate memory erases-those just really suck. And...um...hmm OH when a girl smacks a boy just because she's jealous of another girl. I hate that.

I think my *favorite* cliche is the CPR Kiss. Whoever first came up with that is a freaking genius. XD I also love the dramatic "we'll make you THINK this character died and now everyone is crying but five minutes later the character is fine-we're just teasing you lol" (anime's not the only one that uses that though) But I especially love when a guy does that to a girl to freak her out-it's so funny. XD

I really think it's impossible to make an anime that has NO cliches at all though. I mean, what hasn't been done before, right?
    Last edited by 小美ドクロchan; 07-04-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Senior Member Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid has a reputation beyond repute Darkseid's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by 小美ドクロchan View Post
    THAT IS NOT MY OPINION THEREFORE YOU ARE INFERIOR TO ME IN EVERY WAY.
    :3

Quote Originally Posted by 小美ドクロchan View Post
    I think ecchi cliches are the worst type.
    I second that, and triple for anything common in an harem anime. Those are the only cliches that really annoy me.

Little Green Miko Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome has a reputation beyond repute Kagome's Avatar
    Gil
    Blah
    Gifts Kawaiislice Aria Neko Pluto Garnet Orb
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2023 10:19 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kagxme4988 PSN ID: KagomeMiko

Running girls always tripping! That annoys the hell out of me...I know the Japanese consider it cute-but ya know, once you've seen it a few hundred times-it stops being cute. '_'

Though-I think ALL cliches are listed rather nicely on www.LawsofAnime.com. Check that out and laugh your head off at the truths it spills.
    How'd You Like That On Your Lawn?!
    "I may be empty, but I'm not worthless!"

...Clear...

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I really think it's impossible to make an anime that has NO cliches at all though. I mean, what hasn't been done before, right?
    Apocalypse Zero, Black Lion, The Skull Man, Eat Man '98, etc.

I'd like to throw this out there, if a show takes about...five episodes out of thirteen don't defend it. That's about half of the show right there. I shouldn't have to watch up to a certain point for it to get good.

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I'd like to throw this out there, if a show takes about...five episodes out of thirteen don't defend it. That's about half of the show right there. I shouldn't have to watch up to a certain point for it to get good.
    Baccano.

Just throwing that out there.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Baccano! was one episode of bad. It wasn't more than five.

P.S. Jacuzzi Splot is the most retarded name ever.

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Baccano! was one episode of bad. It wasn't more than five.

P.S. Jacuzzi Splot is the most retarded name ever.
    I meant that it took at least four episodes for the big hook to get everyone in. Oh Ladd, you crazy. :3

And it's indeed quite retarded.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

As cool as Lad is, Isaac and Miria hooked me on the show. It seemed like everyone had bad intentions on that show except for them.

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

As cool as Lad is, Isaac and Miria hooked me on the show. It seemed like everyone had bad intentions on that show except for them.
    The only comedic relief that never got on my nerves.

I heard they had a cameo on Durarara.

AF's Messiah. The Second Coming. Jesu Christo. .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev has a reputation beyond repute .Sev's Avatar
    Gil
    Dead
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Also, anyone in anime has an insane amount of blood. I mean buckets are a standard measure of blood in anime.

And judging by my knowledge of anime, that's just a flesh wound.
    Last edited by .Sev; 07-04-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Nah, that's obviously from a visual or sound novel, so she probably just got....that thing that happens in every episode of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.

Gil
    Dead
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    Nah, that's obviously from a visual or sound novel, so she probably just got....that thing that happens in every episode of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.
    Deaded?

And that's the only picture I could find... >-<

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I stopped watching Durarara on crunchyroll at episode four because it got licensed. They better get that out there quick, because I'm running out of anime to watch.

^ You could have used retarded Elfen Lied as a reference.

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I stopped watching Durarara on crunchyroll at episode four because it got licensed. They better get that out there quick, because I'm running out of anime to watch.
    It's getting a dub, just found out.

BTW, the Special Victims Unit deals with children, old people and......people who get.....seriously, can I say it on this site?

The Savage. -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Hungover
    Gifts Present Beer
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-25-2012 04:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~duongsaa/mor...animeRules.htm

great link that a freind sent to me after i introduced him to anime. very on topic.

Senior Member The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher has a reputation beyond repute The Butcher's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-23-2011 08:57 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: goku100107

-Trying to convince a villain to become good

-Making a bad *** character go to a wimp

-Talking during a fight for a long time.

I know there is more,but I'll edit this post later if I think of some.

Gil
    Dead
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

^ You could have used retarded Elfen Lied as a reference.
    I can't believe I didn't think about that. That's like the perfect example. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    BTW, the Special Victims Unit deals with children, old people and......people who get.....seriously, can I say it on this site?
    Oh... That's what you mean...
    Did you just say old people?
    O.O
    Oh lord, not that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information