AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The 00's in Music

Senior Member Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini's Avatar
    Gil
    Confused
    Gifts Favorite Mic Hello Kitty
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-28-2012 03:36 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Galactakus

Default The 00's in Music

So now that the decade is in the books (unless you're the type that counts '10 as part of the decade. In that case, almost), what's your opinion on it, music-wise? Also, what do you think we're (or just you) are gonna remember the decade most for? The 80's is always looked back upon as a great decade pop-wise, whilst a lot of people remember the 90's for the West Coast rap movement. So what's gonna be the talking point when we look back on the 00's?

I'm back, baby! Credit to my gurl Bou for the sig.

Junior Member FanoBliv has a brilliant future FanoBliv has a brilliant future FanoBliv has a brilliant future FanoBliv has a brilliant future FanoBliv has a brilliant future FanoBliv has a brilliant future FanoBliv has a brilliant future FanoBliv has a brilliant future FanoBliv has a brilliant future FanoBliv has a brilliant future FanoBliv has a brilliant future FanoBliv's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-27-2010 01:21 AM
    Threads

Everything was an utter failure. Nothing but generic songs with fake emotions and repetitive beats. The biggest music-related event in the 00's was Michael Jackson's death, unfortunately. Green Day released more emo-muck as did MCR, and now I have nearly lost all faith in Alternative and Rock. The only band that is ear worthy would be Cage the Elephant and Nightwish (before they removed Tarja). Adding to the great musical depression were Hannah Montana (with her flat, hoarse voice), Justin Beiber (DON'T even get me STARTED), and other horrible singers like Pinklon Thomas.

Rubbish, just pure rubbish, really

IMO, 00's will be remembered as the aforementioned "Great Musical Depression."

You never told us your standing, Shinigami.
    Last edited by FanoBliv; 06-25-2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Typo, Added to my Point.

Senior Member BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2013 05:02 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ask me for it Steam ID: askmeforit

Kanye West.

Also, the "garage rock revival" during the early part of the decade.

Also, the ridiculously increased exposure of indie bands such as Spoon, The Hold Steady, The White Stripes, and Arcade Fire, partly or even largely as a result of the internet, not to mention dozens of other up-and-coming hole-in-the-wall indie or semi-indie bands gaining a devoted cult fanbase (or at least 15 minutes of fame) virtually overnight as a result of internet exposure.

Speaking of the internet: the alleged death of the CD.

Speaking of the internet: internet leaks.

Speaking of the internet: that whole debacle where Wilco made an album, and Reprise Records (a Warner Bros. imprint) didn't want it, so they gave Wilco their album for free and released them from their contract, and then Wilco streamed the album from their website for months until they signed with Nonesuch Records (another Warner Bros. imprint), who released the album and it became a huge hit, selling over 500,000 copies; thusly, Warner Bros. basically paid Wilco to make an album, said they didn't want it, but then paid them a second time to release it. Also, it was a pretty good album.

Speaking of the internet: In Rainbows, followed by everybody and their mother (or at least, Trent Reznor and his mother) releasing a "free" version of their album.

But mostly, Kanye West.
    Last edited by BoldMushroom; 06-27-2010 at 01:40 PM.
    Get some exercise this summer and raise money to fight disease. Find a free charity walk in your area:
    AIDS Walk | Walk to Defeat ALS | Walk MS | Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
    Light The Night for Leukemia & Lymphona | Great Strides for Cystic Fibrosis

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FanoBliv View Post
    The biggest music-related event in the 00's was Michael Jackson's death,
    Kanye begs to differ. He says he'll let you finish but that his interruption of Swift was one of the biggest music-related events OF ALL TIME!

Also, one can not deny that this is the soundtrack of the 00s:

Last edited by Eris; 06-26-2010 at 02:12 AM.

Senior Member Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore has a reputation beyond repute Furore's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Gifts Ferrari Soccer Ball Favorite
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2012 10:37 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

There was music released in the 00's?
    Hmmm... Oh yeah, I think the Melvins released some stuff.
    Oh and Mudhoney released a new album, but it wasn't up to their older stuff.
    victoria aut mors

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Furore View Post
    Hmmm... Oh yeah, I think the Melvins released some stuff.
    They did a record with Jello Biafra if I recall.

Actually bigger than you. miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil has a reputation beyond repute miniPhil's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Violin Cds
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-02-2013 07:01 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: miniPhil

There was nothing wrong with the 00's at all. It saw the rise of creative commons music and some of my favorite albums of all time came out in this decade. Alien, Traced in Air, Prowler in the Yard and the Imagined Village. Nothing wrong with this decade.
    This is a Sig. It's horribly out of date.

Senior Member Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini has a reputation beyond repute Shini's Avatar
    Gil
    Confused
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by FanoBliv View Post
    You never told us your standing, Shinigami.
    I was trying to go for the faux impartial moderator shtick.

I think the 00's were pretty meh. The bubblegum pop movement in the early 00's sort of swept the decade, giving rise to your Miley Cyrus and your Jonas Brothers. Power pop and punk pop (same difference) became very prevalent, to the point where most alt. rock these days just sounds like pop. Teenage girls seem to be the guideline for whether music is good or not nowadays. If your fan base is made of them, you won the decade.

Having said that, I love Muse's Starlight, anything by MGMT, Maroon 5, got into country with some catchy Brad Paisley hits, almost fell in love with Taylor Swift, did fall in love with Amy Winehouse (Back to Black in particular) and oh yeah, there's that one guy. Eminem.

I also agree with BoldMushroom, the internet gave a lot of people a chance this decade that otherwise we probably would never have heard of. Lily Allen is one such case.

boopaloop! 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-20-2011 12:53 PM
    Threads

As I always say, if you want the good stuff, you have to dig through much garbage, or find a right place to look at, which kind of got easier with the popularity of Pitchfork and Last.fm (neighbors, similar artists, etc).

Still, this decade seriously lacked classics (and not only because of the artists' tendency to strip their album of its epicness with a single song). Compare this decade's top 20 with that of the previous few and you'll notice the difference.
    Last edited by 3pleT; 06-26-2010 at 05:23 PM.

STN-J Witch Hunter Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-26-2016 11:55 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Too many divas and boy bands, as well as teen idols, all Svengali manufactured.
    320 years have passed since the coven sank into the dark

I may have been born in The United States, but running through my veins is 70,000% UK blood.

Here's something from my blog:
    http://www.animeforum.com/blog.php?1...y-Special-Blog

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It is a decade defined by Hip-Hop and R&B.

One that has given massive acceptance towards remaking an remixing other's songs and making them one's own.

The 00's will also be seen as the beginning of "synthesized" music becoming increasingly popular. (i.e. techno, electronica, trance, Vocal manipulation.)

Edit: and Emo music. How the hell could have I forgotten emo music? oo"
    Last edited by Skylar1; 06-29-2010 at 10:54 PM.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Gil
    Confused
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 3pleT View Post
    Still, this decade seriously lacked classics.
    Definitely this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    Edit: and Emo music. How the hell could have I forgotten emo music? oo"
    And that. It's really branched out though. Started off as an alt rock offshoot. Now it's seeping into pop.

The Savage. -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Hungover
    Gifts Present Beer
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-25-2012 04:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The 00's in Music

The 00's were overall lacking in musical greatness with the exeption of....

1. Bruce Springsteen, special mention to the album Magic which is clearly the best album of the 00's
    2. Alter Bridge
    3. Green Day, remember that American Idiot came out in 2004

boopaloop! 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT has a reputation beyond repute 3pleT's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-20-2011 12:53 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by GAZKUL View Post
    The 00's were overall lacking in musical greatness with the exeption of....

1. Bruce Springsteen, special mention to the album Magic which is clearly the best album of the 00's
    2. Alter Bridge
    3. Green Day, remember that American Idiot came out in 2004
    The only thing I can partially agree on is American Idiot (good, but not spectacular). Other than that, you named one of the few Springsteen albums that are actually bad and a band that I wish I could unhear.

On the other hand, you failed to mention some really great albums, including (but not limited to):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Bemba_Sound_System
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Hotel_Foxtrot
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lib...Norton_Folgate
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_for_the_Deaf
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_A
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Jam
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_a_Blank_Planet
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ga_Ga_Ga_Ga_Ga
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_&_Antarctica
    Last edited by 3pleT; 07-13-2010 at 09:53 AM.

The Savage. -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL- has a reputation beyond repute -GAZKUL-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Hungover
    Gifts Present Beer
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3pleT View Post
    The only thing I can partially agree on is American Idiot (good, but not spectacular). Other than that, you named one of the few Springsteen albums that are actually bad and a band that I wish I could unhear.

With the exeption of The Boss we have different tastes in music.
    Last edited by -GAZKUL-; 07-17-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Member truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-21-2011 10:12 PM
    Threads

The 2000s will be remembered as crap due to the popular music.

When, in reality, the 2000s were beautiful musically, but no one actually looks for bands that aren't radio-friendly it would appear.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

It has been a decade of auto tune. That's how I'll remember it.

+
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
    Last edited by Capernicus; 07-16-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by truthillusion View Post
    When, in reality, the 2000s were beautiful musically, but no one actually looks for bands that aren't radio-friendly it would appear.
    People have been saying the same thing since the 60s.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Forever 12. Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-01-2013 07:01 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

We got Brokencyde. A band that was basically pooped from bacteria and put in emo clothing and given a dancing pig.

Thank God for the Michael Swaim commentary on that one.
    On this day of days, most epic and prideful, you were born 15 whole American years ago!
    Through the odds and by doing the impossible, you beat out hundreds of thousands of siblings in the great sperm race for the coveted egg.
    Probably via hax.
    Regardless! You won!
    So remember, whenever someone picks on you or calls you weak or small.
    Just remind them that you beat out a few hundred thousand other wimps.

And the grand prize was not dying!

Gil
    Hungover
    Gifts Present Beer
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

the thing with all these specialist types of music is that most of us don't know they exist and therefore can't judge the 00's based on anything other than popular music. I could say that they were great because of Achanak but because they arn't that mainstream and therefore not too many people have heard them.

Member truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-21-2011 10:12 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Gjallarhorn View Post
    People have been saying the same thing since the 60s.
    Then that'll probably mean that someone will find the 2000's god-like.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

It'll be known for auto tunning, seriously that exploded this decade. It's used by just about everyone now a days.

Senior Member Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth has a reputation beyond repute Ryth's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2011 03:57 PM
    Threads

Probably needs some tweaking and updating, but the 2k's were a pretty damn fine decade, and here is my top 100 list for it:

http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_...how=10&start=0

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information