AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wannabe Japanese?

Moderator / Chat Admin Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-06-2013 05:06 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Well, half my goal in making these assertions was to see if anyone could actually come up with or defend anything relating to white culture (Caucasian culture or Anglo-American culture), and mostly what I got is people who think that white culture and American culture are the same thing - and furthermore even had it suggested that I'm a racist for implying otherwise. American no longer means "white" and suggesting that it does is the more racist point of view. I never said there's no such thing as American culture, and trying to play "gotcha" with examples of American culture means you missed the point so hard that clicking submit should have hurt your index finger.

In the past, white culture has always been defined either by what it is NOT, or as simply "normal". This, combined with the fact that, as Zedekiah indicated, white American history is currently defined by white guilt, starts to illuminate the reality of the current situation and how it came to be.

Caucasian America is simply a loosely associated series of subcultures and non-cultures. To put it another way, there is no white culture.

Is white culture Puritan of Mediterranean? Do the Hippies represent our culture, or do the rednecks? The truth is that these clashing subcultures have never truly bonded, and our beginnings as the bastard child of Europe are still evident today. There is simply too much land in America for a single culture to remain whole, and even with the advent of mass media, our regional dialects and quirks are as evident as ever.

If there is a common fashion style, it is only the ubiquitous American style, which is influenced to some degree by Puritan aesthetics, but also has evolved on it's own without thought to race. The t-shirt, for instance, is not necessarily "white" clothing, or a part of "white" culture. The t-shirt is simply a part of American culture.
    From - http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ure.html?cat=9

When you judge someone by the color of their skins instead of the content of their characters, you are being racist.
    I've not once come remotely close to doing this, Strawman.

What culture is complete without myths? Ever heard of King Aurthur, Zues, or Izanagi?
    Context fail. Myth is this context means lies and deceptions that are allowed to continue because they are easier to accept than the truth.

I'm sorry but this just reeks of ignorance. Try going to Europe some time and see how muslims are crammed into little ghettos or try visiting China and see how foreigners are treated and viewed.
    Hi. I lived in Germany for a year, traveled Europe while I was there, been to Japan twice and lived all across America. I know all about how racism and xenophobia manifest themselves in this country and others, this is not the same as a self-proclaimed "melting pot" that celebrates "Black history month" to make up for racial profiling while failing to realize the irony.

Its just what people do. Here in Canada, we refer to black people as African Canadians or Asian people as Asian Canadians.
    This is an Anglo-American behavior, which includes English-speaking Canada. My bad for implying I only meant USA in that example.

Stop putting Japan on this pure angelic pedastal that you have it on.
    Okay, what? I never said a word about Japanese culture, nor gave any opinion on it, positive or negative. Nice red herring though.

Still, one must wonder exactly how people claim we lack a culture when American cultural stereotypes exist.
    So stereotypes = culture now? "Americans are a bunch of lazy, greedy, racist rednecks who know everything about Britney Spears but nothing about world history before the end of World War II." ... I am disappointed with my new-found culture.

Just look at your own post. We're exploding with culture and you're doing every thing possible to hide or trivialize it.
    Also, just because someone does not find their culture appealing does not mean that it is in anyway flawed or shallow. All you are doing is making a bunch of generalizations about what American culture is.
    This isn't what *I'm* doing. This is what others are doing, and I'm simply saying "I don't blame you." Americans are pretty much famous for being a long list of ridiculous negative stereotypes, and I'm simply offering my understanding, or at least my sympathy, to the ones who don't have an ethnic identity to turn to, either.

To address the whole cowboy example:

The cowboys on the Texas trail were 30% African-American, Mexican, or Mexican-American. Cowboys were poor-as-dirt laborers who spent many days begging for work and rarely even owned the horse they rode. They were not heroes, they were impoverished shepherds. The historic American cowboy of the late 19th century arose from the vaquero legends of northern Mexico. Even the glorified cowboys are mainly famous for two things: Being outlaws and killing Native Americans. Hey, let's encourage THAT behavior!

Here's a couple questions so you can consider the point I'm trying to make:

What would you celebrate during Caucasian Heritage Month, if there were such a thing?

Can you think of any example of "white pride" that doesn't suggest or imply something racist, compared to "Latino pride" being perfectly acceptable?

I'm not saying this to be racist, or at least only as far as pointing out the failings of my own "race" is racist. But yes, I am frequently disappointed in America as a whole, too. I have to go back 1,000 years to trace my heritage to an Anglo culture I'm not ashamed of, and I no longer share their physical appearance or lifestyle.

tl;dr - America is not superior. Embrace your Japanophilia, at least you're enjoying something. Just don't be annoying about it.

Note: I am not a Japanophile and even at my "worst" I only ever wanted to visit there, for reasons including language study, history, religion, and music, not because I wanted to fulfill my fantasy of becoming a Japanese schoolgirl.

Anime Forum's First Generation

Quality Since 1999

Moderator / Chat Admin Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein has a reputation beyond repute Cless Alvein's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-06-2013 05:06 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Sanosuke23 View Post
    Just sayin', it can go either way on that one.
    I wanted to respond to you separately because I was highly amused at the way you "fixed" my post and you followed it up with some pretty good stuff. Unfortunately, even if Japan were a pit of despair that doesn't make anything I said about the unattractiveness of American culture to some Americans or the complete lack of Caucasian culture invalid.

They're generally mistaken, but if anyone really wanted to ask what *I* think the cultural foundations of American society are, beyond Pilgrims and Cowboys, what REALLY defines our culture, is mercantilism.
    I agree that this is a strong example of what American culture is. So does being rich and privileged define white culture for you as well? Serious question.

Anime Forum's First Generation

Quality Since 1999

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

Quote Originally Posted by Cless Alvein View Post
    I wanted to respond to you separately because I was highly amused at the way you "fixed" my post and you followed it up with some pretty good stuff. Unfortunately, even if Japan were a pit of despair that doesn't make anything I said about the unattractiveness of American culture to some Americans or the complete lack of Caucasian culture invalid.
    It doesn't, but those particular bits were pretty broad, and aren't really good arguments.

I think you're taking the opposite extreme on purpose, personally.

I agree that this is a strong example of what American culture is. So does being rich and privileged define white culture for you as well? Serious question.
    White culture/Caucasian culture DOES NOT equal American culture, first off. Second no, being rich and privileged is something of "white" culture I've never been exposed to, being neither particularly rich or particularly privileged.

American culture revolves around personal ambition and the freedom for everyone to pursue it. We came from colonists, seeking a place to live and practice their religion freely. We were being taxed without having a say in our own lives, so we rebelled and struck out on our own. In moves that are questionable in hindsight, we overtook the land the native Americans lived on and used it for our own purposes and took slaves. We fought one another for the rights of said slaves, and we welcomed the poor masses of the world looking to make their fortunes in a country where what you could do with your own two hands was the most important thing. Shockingly, some of these people have ended up leaving their families as rich as any family descended from the Mayflower, regardless of the color of their skin or the God they pray to. Be they African-American, Chinese-American, or Italian-American, they are American.

Has this emphasis on the self made us decadent over the years? Probably. Has it made us somewhat divided, because when everyone is a cultural pillar in and of themselves they tend to support like-minded groups? I'd say so. Does that mean we are culturally bankrupt? I say no. However unlike much older, more deep-seated countries where culture is the basic colors in which your identity is often painted, in America it's the canvas. This can be confusing to some, but it doesn't mean it isn't there. It just means that it's open to interpretation.

I suppose you could argue that we DON'T have a culture of our own if American culture by default is to define it in your own terms and most of the time those terms come from whatever culture your family came from. Then again, that willingness to accept the Other as a (sometimes distant)neighbor is one hallmark of an American mindset. It may not be right away, there may be some getting used to, but it'll happen eventually.

Of course there are idiots, when you're free to express any idiotic opinion under the sun there are bound to be a deluge of idiots to express them. That doesn't mean everyone is like that, or even most people. The country isn't perfect, but it isn't a hellhole either. It is somewhere in the middle, just like most things out there people seem to have rather... polarized opinions about.
    Visit the Toy Dungeon Studios Store and buy a shirt or zipper pull, damnit!

Senior Member Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic has a reputation beyond repute Sakura Holic's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-30-2010 06:45 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rikumi View Post
    BTW, bullies out there should leave the beawoos alone, stop flaming back and practice forgiving.

P.S. Every word of my statement above is just my opinion. No offense.
    Depending on what they do first IMO...
    And none taken. :]

Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuckie
    They kicked a girl out of their group and made her cry because she didn't believe Muroku and Sango from Inuyasha was a cute couple.
    Well not really... but Miroku cant fit anyone else.... LOL
    But that is harsh... Sad thing is... not only is it spreading on those anime/manga lovers but Lolita fashion too... =_______= (Going offtopic...)

Lets just say some crazy chick that lives in my state... that has no life posted a bunch of bad rep stuff about these girls and one of them is my friend....And the crazy chick thinks she knows more about gothica and lolita.... and she herself think she's all "THAT". -sigh-
    Seriously.... who ever tells a person, "Goth fail poser." is the goth fail itself. I do not like labels(that goes with negative compliments) because it just... IDK.... Not right. Plus its labels. Its my pet peeve. I mean.... WHY? Not only does it prove that the person saying the label is the poser but it also means that you're doing all this just to I guess, "fit in and not actually liking it.". I can not put the words together for this damned burning fiery feeling I have with this pet peeve of mine but.... off topic rant OVER! XD
    Last edited by Sakura Holic; 04-29-2010 at 08:22 AM.

[[ ~Missing the old アンティック-珈琲店~ ]]

Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I've never seen anyone like this. I've seen people into east Asian culture, but not really a "wannabe".

I find it silly that people would want to be someone else, when chances are they're fine the way they are. But that's just me ;o;

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

What about guys (or I suppose anyone, but it seems to be mostly Caucasian guys) who are obsessed with getting Japanese/asian women as objects and/or girlfriends? is that part of the "wannabe" Japanese thing, or just a symptom relating to it?
    Last edited by Miss Moonlight; 05-05-2010 at 08:07 PM.
    月の光は愛のメッセージ

Member truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion has a reputation beyond repute truthillusion's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-21-2011 10:12 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Holic View Post
    2) Its ganna be the same thing when some people listens to Gackt or Phantasmagoria or Suicide Ali ect. They're ganna be like "What teh eff is this?!" And really, American music... if you look hard enough there are a big handful of songs. Especially rap. And I dont usually look towards that. Now I look for Eminem.
    I'm a Morning Musume fan and a Phantasmagoria, but I know in terms of historical reference they're not even a speed bump.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say at the end about the handful of songs, though.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Moonlight View Post
    What about guys (or I suppose anyone, but it seems to be mostly Caucasian guys) who are obsessed with getting Japanese/asian women as objects and/or girlfriends? is that part of the "wannabe" Japanese thing, or just a symptom relating to it?
    I think it's more of just a simple xeno-fetish in general. The same way someone would like to be with a German, French, Russian, Latin, or any other forigen person; the fact that they appear forigen makes them seem more exotic and therefore more attractive.

It applies to both genders, and isn't limited to just a specific race.

EDIT @ long debate:

I think some of you are getting off track with the "Is there a white culutre" thing.

The reality is, it doesn't really matter either way. Wether or not there is a white culuture or there isn't is completely trivial to the point that NO ONE CHOOSE where they are born and who they are born as.

And in an age where Individualism and finding out who you are is top tier for youth, it is understandable why one would explore and expirement with other cultures, just like so many other things that young people do to make themselfs their own person.

It's a big shift from the orthadox sentiment of: Born to cutlure>>> Must confrom to said culture and not ask questions.

What we're seeing here is mass numbers people for the first time exploring new avenues of expression and creating a better picture for each person's individuality.

Young people are very comfortable with customization, and the power of have choice over what they want and who they are. It was only a matter of time before kids started asking themselfs something like, "Why can't I have a different race? I get to choose everything else about myself, from clothes, to religion, to lifestyle. Why don't I get a say in what race I am and what culture I have?"

And you know what? More power to them. So long as they're not shoving in other people's faces- who REALLY cares what culture they want to embrace anyways?

The reality is that you DON'T get to choose who you're born as and where, and that's not fair, especially if you don't like it.

It's been a long held veiw of mine that you shouldn't have to accept something just because that's "the way it is". And it makes me happy to see that people are starting to finally feel comfortable enough with themselfs to do whatever they feel is best and right for them.

If it makes you happy, who's it hurting?
    Last edited by Skylar1; 05-06-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    I think it's more of just a simple xeno-fetish in general. The same way someone would like to be with a German, French, Russian, Latin, or any other forigen person; the fact that they appear forigen makes them seem more exotic and therefore more attractive.

It applies to both genders, and isn't limited to just a specific race.
    Well, obviously not, but I was talking about males in general, and more specifically the white asian-fetished/phile male. You know, those guys who's one main wish and goal is to obtain said Japanese girlfriend so that their friends will think "omg cool, u are so lucky to has asian gf!" or something, not just because they admire the race or the people from it.

It can obviously span to any race/gender, but there are a lot of white males with "Yellow Fever" where their race places a role in why they'd want an Asian trophy wife/girlfriend.

There's a word I want to use that begins with a "W" (the title of this thread is the description of the word), but it's obviously bleeped out.
    Last edited by Miss Moonlight; 05-06-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    月の光は愛のメッセージ

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

Quote Originally Posted by Ericgamer1 View Post
    Young people are very comfortable with customization, and the power of have choice over what they want and who they are. It was only a matter of time before kids started asking themselfs something like, "Why can't I have a different race? I get to choose everything else about myself, from clothes, to religion, to lifestyle. Why don't I get a say in what race I am and what culture I have?"

And you know what? More power to them. So long as they're not shoving in other people's faces- who REALLY cares what culture they want to embrace anyways?

The reality is that you DON'T get to choose who you're born as and where, and that's not fair, especially if you don't like it.

It's been a long held veiw of mine that you shouldn't have to accept something just because that's "the way it is". And it makes me happy to see that people are starting to finally feel comfortable enough with themselfs to do whatever they feel is best and right for them.

If it makes you happy, who's it hurting?
    Which is understandable, to an extent. Yes, no one chooses who they are born as or what culture they are born in. Embracing another culture to complete a part of oneself makes sense in this case.

HOWEVER, to embrace another culture without really knowing anything about your own (having no real reason to leave your culture) or the culture that you are embracing really makes no sense whatsoever. Like I said before, it would be more acceptable to embrace the Japanese culture while abandoning one's own if people actually did it like educated people.

Beawoos like eating ramen (freeze-dried ramen) with chopsticks, yet some don't even know the Japanese word for "chopsticks". They like using Japanese words in every conversation without truly knowing what these words mean (or rather, the social implications of using them in Japan). This is not embracing a culture; this is trying to pretend that one is part of it. And beawoos do not act this way because they read books about Japan, watched some Japanese documentaries or even talked to some Japanese people and decided to emulate the culture. They act this way because they watched anime and decided to get their cultural lessons from Sailor Moon and Naruto. There is a difference between using anime as a stepping stone and motivation TO LEARN the Japanese culture and getting the cultural lessons FROM anime.

How can one claim to "embrace" the Japanese culture if they don't know any food beyond ramen? If the only Japanese authors that they can give are manga-ka? If the only Japanese sport they know is Sumo wrestling? If the only reason for visiting the country that they love SO MUCH, the origin of the culture that they emulate everyday, is to buy a bunch of anime stuff?

Japan has long history in the arts. Painting, Ukiyo-e, sculptures. The history of Japanese architecture has a history as long as any other aspect of Japan (if not longer). Calligraphy, the way they wear traditional dress, and even the way food is presented is an art. How can one claim to "embrace" this culture if they don't even know that? If they don't even care to know?

That is what the problem is. Its one thing to take interest in a culture, to gain more respect for that culture over one's own, to embrace it and emulate that culture everyday because of one's love and respect for it. However, beawoos don't do that. They make half-baked attempts at being something that they are not, something they truly do not understand anything about and don't even care to figure it out. They are not trying to embrace a foreign culture to replace their own, to find something that completes them; they are trying to delude themselves by pretending that eating ramen, saying "baka", watching subs, and insisting that Japan is "like, totally the most sugoi place in the whole kawaii world, desu!!" makes them Japanese.
    Last edited by wolfgirl90; 05-06-2010 at 02:52 PM.
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

Awaken Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1 has a reputation beyond repute Skylar1's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Mario 1-Up Mushroom Aria Neko Mario Piranha Plant
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-16-2022 04:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well, I was specifically refering to those who wish to educate themselfs through the use of reasearch and college courses in a respectable and appropriate manner. I probably should have made that distinction earlier.

My point was to say that someone, (like myself) who is genuinely interested in learing about forigen cultures, should not face ridcule or stigma from doing what they personally feel is best for them.

It is because of the fanatics that have perverted the treament of the Japanese culture as if it was some shallow movie series, and then go on to engross themselfs in a superfical perspective of it.

It makes me sad that those type of people have contaminated the perception from others to those who are serious about learning the proper way of emulation in another's culture.

There is one key word in all of this, and that is Repsect. Now, one can have respect for something as still have little interest in it. But being disrespectful just because you don't like where you came from is a no no imo. You shouldn't feel obligated to embrace your own culture or roots just the same as you shouldn't feel as if you can't embrace the culture of another country, BUT you have to do it respectfully regaurdless of which direction your culture compass is pointing. Being offensive and blantely rude, it doesn't matter WHY you're doing it, one will quickly find themselfs in a very bad place.

Respect is everthing.
    Last edited by Skylar1; 05-07-2010 at 11:58 AM.
    The Brighter the Light the Darker the Shadow

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cless Alvein View Post
    Well, half my goal in making these assertions was to see if anyone could actually come up with or defend anything relating to white culture (Caucasian culture or Anglo-American culture), and mostly what I got is people who think that white culture and American culture are the same thing - and furthermore even had it suggested that I'm a racist for implying otherwise. American no longer means "white" and suggesting that it does is the more racist point of view. I never said there's no such thing as American culture, and trying to play "gotcha" with examples of American culture means you missed the point so hard that clicking submit should have hurt your index finger.

In the past, white culture has always been defined either by what it is NOT, or as simply "normal". This, combined with the fact that, as Zedekiah indicated, white American history is currently defined by white guilt, starts to illuminate the reality of the current situation and how it came to be.
    There has never been a "white" culture. At least not as far back as recorded history goes. There have only been cultures defined by countries, ethnicities, etc which may have been composed of people that were caucasian. But the culture of the Romans was not that of the Vikings and so on for all the different regions. Now there is, at its broadest, a "western" culture, more specifically an "American" culture, and than within that a wide array of subcultures.

In any case I like anime and manga, and find the country and its game shows interesting, but I don't know that I'd ever want to go there.

I'm 6'2", broad shouldered, and hairy all over. There would probably just be a sasquatch scare if I came over.

More seriously I do worry I'd be looked at in a negative light. Conversly when I went to China for six weeks back in....hmmm maybe it was in 2000, the general impression towards me seemed to be extremely positive, like I could get into clubs for free and such and people were always wanting to get their picture taken with me. It probably helped that Clinton's relations with China were excellent.
    Last edited by sunnyside; 05-07-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Junior Member Chopsy is on a distinguished road Chopsy's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2010 11:16 AM
    Threads

This thread is interesting haha.
    I love japanese music and dramas, and although not as much as in the past, I love anime and manga. More recently there hasn't been much anime I particularly want to watch over drawing or studying, but I still have a great respect for anime. The language I find to be very nice imo.
    We have an anime group at my college, and I think most of the people there go about their japan loving in a good way. Casually, even.

One day we were meeting up with the anime group from another area, and when these guys arrived, they were all wearing their naruto gear and whatnot (we were going out for an evening meal...). I think we all sort of had to double-take to make sure we had seen right. There really is a limit =/ I understand cosplay is fun, and people obviously want to show their love for anime. But heck I would never wear cosplay items out on the streets for no reason.

As for spouting random japanese, yes it's annoying, especially when it's said wrong or makes no sense whatsoever. Thankfully I don't know anyone like that <3 We actually had a teacher who tried to teach us, but he made quite a few mistakes. Nonetheless he did pretty well. I actually found that most of the group were kinda uninterested in learning it. I have yet to find someone who does the insert japanese word here stuff.

Some of my favourite bands are japanese/korean. And, yes, sounding shallow, but heck, I find them hot and some of them sing really well. I honestly find the asian music scene more interesting as a whole to my tastes. I sing in japanese. But does that make me a wannabe? A lot of people ask me why I listen if I don't understand. But when I listen to any music Im not always listening out for lyrics, be it in english or any language.

I do fear though that these people who claim to love japan sp much but know nothing will go there and have their dreams shattered...

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90 View Post
    How can one claim to "embrace" the Japanese culture if they don't know any food beyond ramen? If the only Japanese authors that they can give are manga-ka? If the only Japanese sport they know is Sumo wrestling? If the only reason for visiting the country that they love SO MUCH, the origin of the culture that they emulate everyday, is to buy a bunch of anime stuff?
    They only care about the otaku subculture. They don't care about language and all that other crap, and frankly there are Japanese don't care about their own culture too. I'm not sure what the exact problem is here.

Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgirl90
    I don't know, it's like they only care about their own idealization of it.
    月の光は愛のメッセージ

Junior Member Toko_Toko_Tokyo!-san? has a reputation beyond repute Toko_Toko_Tokyo!-san? has a reputation beyond repute Toko_Toko_Tokyo!-san? has a reputation beyond repute Toko_Toko_Tokyo!-san? has a reputation beyond repute Toko_Toko_Tokyo!-san? has a reputation beyond repute Toko_Toko_Tokyo!-san? has a reputation beyond repute Toko_Toko_Tokyo!-san? has a reputation beyond repute Toko_Toko_Tokyo!-san? has a reputation beyond repute Toko_Toko_Tokyo!-san? has a reputation beyond repute Toko_Toko_Tokyo!-san? has a reputation beyond repute Toko_Toko_Tokyo!-san? has a reputation beyond repute Toko_Toko_Tokyo!-san?'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2010 02:15 PM
    Threads

Haha. That definition is hilarious! (you know you know some people who fit that description perfectly )

Is it an accurate description, though? Probably not. Personally I love Japanese culture and I do lean towards it more than my own (Korean/American) but it's obviously something that a lot of people enjoy to partake in. Japanese culture is so rich and unique and is often better than American culture (eat junk food and watch tv all the time, oh wait I guess I do celebrate American culture!). I don't see any harm in loving anime, and having watched days and days of anime in Japanese, I do not pronounce Japanese incorrectly. Also, a lot of Japanese culture and Korean culture is similar in the first place: respect your elders, eat rice, laugh at americans (jk! )... Was I making a point? *reads over what has been typed so far*... Haha. It seems kind of scatter brained.

My post's cliffs notes: Who cares, japanese culture rocks!

Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wannabe Japanese?

I got tired of it after a while. It was the "thing" to do/be interested back in high school, and that's about it. I still have my collections, but I rarely add to them (financial issues put a damper on that), plus there are many more important things to spend your money on. I haven't watched anime in a long while.

As for the japan/asiaphiles, those will always exist, as long as their inferiority complex tells them that asians are better/more interesting, and everything american or non-asian sucks.
    Last edited by Miss Moonlight; 01-26-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Reason Anime Haters exist is cause of WANNABE JPNS, at least in my area. Goddamn it, they are weird and annoying, v_v

EDIT: Goddamn it, stupid filter. =_= What's wrong with the W word?
    Last edited by Hanamaru Kunikida; 01-26-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Aleyna's Wifey *with a heart sign* Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket's Avatar
    Gil
    Goofy
    Gifts Tengu Mask Green Tea Pocky
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-24-2012 08:31 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Holic View Post
    Chinese. Because I know how Chinese people can be at times and it just irritates me because I can not believe I am Chinese...
    Wow... You hate being a Chinese? Personally I don't see anything wrong being Chinese you should actually be proud of where you came from, I mean don't you even know what the Chinese people have accomplished through the years?! xD Specially the ancient times~

As for the topic I think it's just really annoying when I see people trying to pretend they're from some other country, yes it may not be as fun as your own but still - what's with the over-acting? Just keep it to yourselves, not everyone enjoys pretenders~
    Proud Wife of Aleyna ♥
    Proud Mother of Uta ♪

Senior Member under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain has a reputation beyond repute under the rain's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-15-2011 11:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: revolucionary

I 'm a little more culturally Japanese than most Americans, but I have the excuse that I'm actually part Japanese and so inherited some of it.

(COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderation Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555 is infamous around these parts Videogamer555's Avatar
    Gil
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2012 10:00 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Nintendo of Japan invented console based online downloadable games (Satellaview) back in the 1990's, LONG before Microsoft in the USA even dreamed of it (XBox Live Arcade).

Japan has tons of promotional items surounding its games (figurines, posters, etc, etc). American games have hardly anything in this regard.

The Japanese have discovered how to make animated films appeal to a wide range of ages. American cartoons are 99% for kids.

The first widespread popular game consoles were made by Japanese companies Nintendo and Sega. The American company Microsoft is a bit late to the party, wouldn't you say?

Japan > America

Nuff said!

Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida has a reputation beyond repute Hanamaru Kunikida's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Gifts Penguin Movie Ticket Gabumon
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2024 02:28 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    Nintendo of Japan invented console based online downloadable games (Satellaview) back in the 1990's, LONG before Microsoft in the USA even dreamed of it (XBox Live Arcade).

Japan has tons of promotional items surounding its games (figurines, posters, etc, etc). American games have hardly anything in this regard.

The Japanese have discovered how to make animated films appeal to a wide range of ages. American cartoons are 99% for kids.

The first widespread popular game consoles were made by Japanese companies Nintendo and Sega. The American company Microsoft is a bit late to the party, wouldn't you say?

Japan > America

Nuff said!
    I COMPLETELY AGREE, YOU SIR ARE GOD.

Lol, go to hell, noob.

Straight Outta Motown! Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy has a reputation beyond repute Token Black Guy's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Paint Palette Mic Sunglasses
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-28-2014 02:35 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sleepy_Ninja313

Japan > America

Nuff said!
    Man that is whack!

Token Black Guy

Aleyna's Wifey *with a heart sign* Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket has a reputation beyond repute Anuket's Avatar
    Gil
    Goofy
    Gifts Tengu Mask Green Tea Pocky
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-24-2012 08:31 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Japan > America

Nuff said!
    You always find a way to make my day, that's why I'd just wish that I won't wake up anymore. VV can I call you that? Stop making my day... for my own good, please? ^ ^
    Proud Wife of Aleyna ♥
    Proud Mother of Uta ♪

Senior Member Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra's Avatar
    Gil
    Woot
    Gifts Kawaii Ice Cream Cone Apple Systems NES Controller
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-24-2011 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Japan has tons of promotional items surrounding its games (figurines, posters, etc, etc). American games have hardly anything in this regard.

Japan > America

Nuff said!
    You, sir, don't have what it takes to try and sound intelligent, so don't.
    Last edited by Shinn Kamiyra; 01-26-2011 at 11:10 PM.

My thanks to Xey Oiz for the awesome new set.

"Screw being normal and be awesome instead!"

Closed Thread

Thread Information