AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Future SOTWs

Moderator Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Be Mine Alfa Romeo Spider JTS Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-12-2017 03:31 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default Regarding Future SOTWs

ATTENTION

Regarding all future Signature of the Week Competitions, they will be officially canceled. The reason for this is because it has recently come to my attention that some of the competitions have become unfair to those who enter. AKA, cheating.

I had had my suspicions for some time, until I received an anonymous PM from a user that basically told me that there were discussions being held on the basis of which signatures to, and not to, vote for. Regarding this, I took it upon myself to test this theory in a few competitions.

After over viewing many former and recent competitions, it came to my attention that some very low quality signatures were winning competitions against very high quality signatures. Another thing I noticed was how many votes were mere copies of other votes, repeating words and phrases on the basis of why they felt an entry deserved to win.

Given this, the SOTW is canceled until I determine a ‘fair’ way of hosting this and other contests (the BOTM, WOTM, and DOTM; which may have also become unfair). I do not want to create a contest in which people are not allowed to vote, but it appears that at this point I must create a board of Judges in order to choose instead of regular members.

On my own note, I would just like to mention that this will in no way make a person look any more skilled in terms of signature just by winning this competition. It will also run across as an insult to anyone who thinks of entering, to never enter ever again if they are only going to lose over and over.

boopaloop! Tranquiose has a reputation beyond repute Tranquiose has a reputation beyond repute Tranquiose has a reputation beyond repute Tranquiose has a reputation beyond repute Tranquiose has a reputation beyond repute Tranquiose has a reputation beyond repute Tranquiose has a reputation beyond repute Tranquiose has a reputation beyond repute Tranquiose has a reputation beyond repute Tranquiose has a reputation beyond repute Tranquiose has a reputation beyond repute Tranquiose's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-03-2015 11:59 PM
    Threads

I do agree but who will be the judges? what if the judges would do the same.
    but nice explanation.

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

Quote Originally Posted by InnerApple View Post
    but nice explanation.
    Oh, don't worry. Serated will know. It's good to hear about what's happening here. Cheaters will never prosper.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

Moderator Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv has a reputation beyond repute Vintniv's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by InnerApple View Post
    but nice explanation.
    At this moment, its possibly going to be a handful of the Moderators, maybe some members; but they wouldnt be allowed to enter the contest ever. I am not sure at the moment, I would LOVE to just continue the simple task of letting you guys be the judges.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Buster View Post
    Oh, don't worry. Serated will know. It's good to hear about what's happening here. Cheaters will never prosper.

You give me way too much credit.

AF's resident Crazy Cat Lady Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf's Avatar
    Starving
    Gifts Mario Bowser Shell Mario Bob-omb Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2014 12:38 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CaptainEllipsis Steam ID: CaptainEllipsis Wii Code: 2388 1485 3012 2739

I have an idea. Couldn't we have the staff, and the people who enter it judges? Although that would call for the votes to not be anonymous....and they could still cheat. So nvm.Or couldn't an admin check the PMs, and see who was doing the cheating? That way we could have public polls, and you could just not count their votes? Either way, I hate to see this canceled D:

boopaloop! Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-19-2013 11:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The way I used to hold the signature/avatar voting was having people PM me, so votes were private.

I dont like the idea of users not being able to be judges, or only letting mods/select users be judges but not able to enter the contest.

We always had a "Do not vote for yourself, and do not tell people to vote for you" rule anyway, so if they were caught doing it, their signature would be removed from the contest.

If people are writing the same thing on why they're voting for a signature, then discount all similar votes. Although that's still unfair, because if I like the text and that's IT on a sig, then I'm going to say so.

I don't recall ever seeing it said "you may not discuss the submissions in chat". I've seen it discussed in chat, and I've even participated in the discussions, but they've never been "Vote for this signature over this one." It's been "I can't decide which one to vote for! They're all so great! I like this one for x reasons, but I like this one more I think!" Hell, me and teed were doing that a few contests ago because I seriously could not decide which of the 3 I liked the most I wanted to vote for. In the end I decided to vote for the one that had the nicest font.
    making emo kids[/URL] cry since 1998

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Gifts Jade Disc Cookie Cookie
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2017 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: GameGeeks

Why not just ban the people who do that from voting? That way members still decide and we get more quality votes? Like the poster above me said, ignore carbon copy votes but if votes are similar, like say two people really like one sig's text then give them the benefit of the doubt until you see a pattern with them. I personally don't like judges and think things should be decided by the people, in this case members. Though I am curious by what you mean by low quality sigs? I'll look through past tournaments but would still like to hear your opinion on what's considered low quality. If you mean beginner type sigs why not hold two tiers of SOTW? One for the more professional sigs and one for the beginners? That way people starting out can have some fun and learn while those who have been doing it for a while can still have some healthy competition. People could just submit the sigs to you directly and you decided which one it belongs in.
    Last edited by GameGeeks; 04-04-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Gil
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

@Hyphen.

The reason I never did polls in the beginning is because you didnt have to be registered on the forum into to vote in a poll. Also, because people could do it so anonymously that you could vote your own signature while logged off, and go to say your school or a library and vote again from there, meant you could infinitely vote your own signature into victory.

@Gaga

I had a rule for people not voting for themselves or having people vote for you. But, much like all of my other rules; it seems to have gone unnoticed. Given that you have discussed voting not on the basis of who not to vote for doesnt mean that others have not.

But on my own note, I never vote for signatures on the basis of whether or not the font looks good.

@GameGeeks

If I could do that, I would. But due to the fact that some one brought up the concept of using the Private Chat system in AF chat defeats the purpose. Another thing is the usage of other private systems such as AIM or MSN. We cant really track that.

I do like the idea of dividing the SOTW between skilled, and rookie though, but even then I question whether or not people might get touchy on my own judgment on what I think is good versus not. Unless everyone wants me to do that?

Geek of Games GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks has a reputation beyond repute GameGeeks's Avatar
    Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

True about messengers, but as the people who do it get banned it should eventually stop happening if you see a trend, either copy and pasted responses or voting for lower quality sigs.

As for judgment on quality, yeah, you might face scrutiny for it, but as not only a mod but the host of the SOTW you have to deal with it. You could get a group of judges for that decision though. But winners should be chosen by the members though.

Senior Member FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-21-2017 02:41 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ThomasakaDes

Suprise that people are so desperate to win a SOTW that they actually discuss with others who to vote for, pathetic.

On my own note, I would just like to mention that this will in no way make a person look any more skilled in terms of signature just by winning this competition. It will also run across as an insult to anyone who thinks of entering, to never enter ever again if they are only going to lose over and over.
    Agree.

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Not all do that. Some like LG discuss the fact that they can't pick one. Which is completely different from the problem Serated is talking about.

Senior Member .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts A Duck 149 - Dragonite
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-24-2016 11:02 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

If people have an urge to discuss the entries in chat why not have an official discussion thread were the discussions about the entries can be monitored and if someone breaks the rules in any way its a hell of a lot more easier to detect.

If i'm frank, you could never stamp out cheating on any level, just try and find ways to reduce the chance of it if anything. But even with that discussion thread you can bet there will be talks in chat and on messengers about entries because some people are very thick headed. But i think you've made the right call here.

Lex Luger R.I.P
    ¦ Sexy Logo By Me ¦ R A R E R E N D E R ¦ Tutorial requests and PSD Requests open ¦ Tag Thread

Senior Member FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango has a reputation beyond repute FluffyDango's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    Not all do that. Some like LG discuss the fact that they can't pick one. Which is completely different from the problem Serated is talking about.
    I didn`t talk about everyone of course, I obviously were talking about the ones that discuss it :P

boopaloop! Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

That's my point Serated. If I have a hard time decided what signature I like best, I start nitpicking small things, placement of text, coloring of the signature. There's been 2 contests I can remember vividly where I liked two signatures so much, but I went with the one that had the better text.

I just don't see HOW you notice people are "cheating". Can you post straight up examples of people posting similar replies? At this point in the game, you're canceling an image contest A LOT OF PEOPLE enjoy, so calling out 1-3 people for cheating or questionable voting isn't really going to matter in the long run if we can figure out a new way of voting, or punish those who are cheating.

Promised Protector Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance has a reputation beyond repute Balance's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Ceiling Cat Gurren Kamina Glasses Cow
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-24-2014 05:38 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Gaga View Post
    We always had a "Do not vote for yourself, and do not tell people to vote for you" rule anyway, so if they were caught doing it, their signature would be removed from the contest.
    If you were caught. Obviously Serated hasn't caught anyone because he had his trust in everyone it seems.

I don't recall ever seeing it said "you may not discuss the submissions in chat". I've seen it discussed in chat
    That's not what Serated was saying. He was saying that he had suspicions on what to vote for and what not to vote for in the chat.

Quote Originally Posted by GameGeeks View Post
    If you mean beginner type sigs why not hold two tiers of SOTW? One for the more professional sigs and one for the beginners? That way people starting out can have some fun and learn while those who have been doing it for a while can still have some healthy competition. People could just submit the sigs to you directly and you decided which one it belongs in.
    That actually sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tattster View Post
    ...why not have an official discussion thread were the discussions about the entries can be monitored and if someone breaks the rules in any way its a hell of a lot more easier to detect.

...But even with that discussion thread you can bet there will be talks in chat and on messengers about entries...
    To be honest, I don't think there's any real way to moderate that in any way as you have stated.

Junior Member Mikahcho is on a distinguished road Mikahcho's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-24-2011 04:26 PM
    Threads

I have a small suggestion...

I've already posted a suggestion to Serated, but here's a different one...

I'm part of a small anime forum, and seriously, it is THE friendliest forum ever! I don't mean to make this forum sound bad though, this one is much more successful (:
    But what I'm proposing is that you can easily draw up an agreement with the forum. Send me, or another member on that forum, the sigs, we can make a voting topic, and only those we trust will have their vote counted.

The reasons that this approach will work:

-The community on this forum isn't as big as this one. The relationships between the forum members is VERY deep, so we know exactly who can and who can't vote fairly.
    -The risk of an unfair vote is practically impossible. Votes from new members wouldn't be counted.
    -If this sites name and URL is announced each time a voting session takes place, members from our site will have the chance to join your site, and I'm sure similiar will happen for our site. Beneficial for both sites.
    -It will be the start of a new relationship, where we can exchange GFX tips and tricks and generally get along.
    -We'll be doing the grunt work, all you have to do is make and send the sigs over, we'll do the rest. Ofcourse, you can have the link to the voting page, to see how it's all going.

The site I'm talking about isn't mine. I'm not giving you this idea to raise the popularity of the site. It may be hard to believe, but I'm just interested in helping you guys out.

Whatd'cha think? I'm not gonna post the forum now, it'd seem lime I'm advertising haha! I can pm it to you, Serated, if you wish. I know the forum I'm speaking of would be delighted to help (:

I think this is a good oppurtinity for all of us.
    It's Wrong That Passion Is Dying, Whether Under The Sun Or Under Flourescent Lights

Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

I just don't see HOW you notice people are "cheating". Can you post straight up examples of people posting similar replies? At this point in the game, you're canceling an image contest A LOT OF PEOPLE enjoy, so calling out 1-3 people for cheating or questionable voting isn't really going to matter in the long run if we can figure out a new way of voting, or punish those who are cheating.
    There is not really many people enjoying the SOTW on this site.
    On full GFX forums the SOTW`s have over 15-20 Entries, then it`s fun and hard to vote becaus many of them are on a high level.
    On this site there is at most 8 entries.

Edit: Well if you count everyone that votes, ok there is many.
    But it`s more fun if alot of people enters too.
    Last edited by FluffyDango; 04-04-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

You could always try going for a SOTM contest instead.
    It's Wrong That Passion Is Dying, Whether Under The Sun Or Under Flourescent Lights

Senior Member .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty. has a reputation beyond repute .Tatty.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts A Duck 149 - Dragonite
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-24-2016 11:02 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

You say that Des,

But i've failed to see an entry from yourself. Don't preach about it if your not going to do it yourself. :/

Also i like this idea of two tier competitions.

Lex Luger R.I.P
    ¦ Sexy Logo By Me ¦ R A R E R E N D E R ¦ Tutorial requests and PSD Requests open ¦ Tag Thread

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Someone mentioned having admins scanning PMs. I'm against that for two reasons. The first is it's an invasion of privacy. Second that's a little overboard for something like SOTW. I'm fin with chat admins/moderators scanning chat for such talk or looking through the logs. That's because everything said there is said publicly, so it's fair game in my opinion.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Using a two tier system won't get rid of the problem. It'd only make the problem harder to notice.

Think about it. Up until now, you can tell if someone may be cheating, because one sig is bad, whilst the other is good. If people keep voting for the bad one, something may seem fishy.

But when using a two tier system, both sigs will be of similiar skill. So if people secretly agreed to vote for a sig, you wouldn't be able to realize very easily.

Instead of treating the illness, you'd just be covering up the symptoms!

Gil
    Paranoid
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

My intention of suggesting the two tier system wasn't to fix the problem. It was to give those starting out in sig making a competition that they'd have a chance of winning. It had nothing to do with the current problem other then the problem giving me the idea about it.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Oh, sorry GameGeek, my mistake. But unless this problem is cleared, that two Tier system may be worthless, unfair voting would continue.

But it's a good idea, in regards to fair competition (:

Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Photoshop
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Tattster View Post
    You say that Des,

But i've failed to see an entry from yourself. Don't preach about it if your not going to do it yourself. :/

Also i like this idea of two tier competitions.
    I entered the Vertical themed SOTW, the one with the Aion extraction from Sera

Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

If he hasn't caught anyone, then he has no reason to stop the contests, because no one is cheating.

Honestly, I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to the moderator, if you are a moderator, please log into your name, and provide me with the answers I am seeking. Oh, you aren't? Then how is it possible you know what goes on behind the scenes here?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information