Quote Originally Posted by silverwings1415 View Post
I wouldn't say comapnies are afraid to try anything new. Nintendo gave Metroid to Retro Studios and look what happened. We got the awesome Prime series. Now they're giving the series to Tecmo with Another M.
Nice example!

Nintendo took something that was familiar like "Metroid", but turned it into something "new" by turning a side-scrolling platforming adventure game, into a first person shooter adventure game. I enjoyed Metroid Prime, even the second one... got a bit redundant with the third... and now I'm wondering what's going on with Metroid Other M...

Kingdom Hearts is the same game, with the same mechanics. Very little is done to add anything new, but try make up for this by adding extremely odd mini-games and say "NEW CONTENT!" when there's nothing really substantially new at all.

SE tried other things, The Last Remnant, and they weren't that great.
That's their fault, just because it's new doesn't mean it's good. One time Squaresoft tried something different from their Final Fantasy route... came up with Chrono Trigger. I don't have to tell anyone how much of a good idea that was...

The established works better for some reason and it's not because of a name.
Actually, I think the name plays a big part in established works... I mean, why did Squaresoft start the Final Fantasy franchise if each game was different from the previous one? Because a recongised name from a previous success is able to sell more, that's why.

Do you think that there aren't risks for producing any game?
Of course there are risks. But so far the game companies think we're retards who react poorly to new ideas and want only remakes and sequels. Unfortunately, it seems they're mostly right.

The sequel to KH is a lot different than KH 1. The combat was overhauled and the story started with a character nobody knew about. BIG risk.
The combat was very similar to the first game, with a few added moves here and there. To say "overhauled" would suggest going from "Attack/block" to "Ninja Gaiden battle controls", which isn't the case.

Also, they started with a new character, zomg! What a risk! I wonder how Final Fantasy VIII ever survived when Squall appeared instead of Cloud! Also note the new character was in the introduction, before playing the entire game as Good ol' happy go lucky Sora.

New is hard to create.
True, but remember that it's us who pay the money for their product. It'd be nice to know my money went towards a project that was difficult, but rewarding in the end... not just some game they whiped together in a 5 minute meeting.

I don't think companies should depend on their franchises as much as they do,
True dat...

but wouldn't you be disappointed too if your new game that has nothing to do with your best series got an average review and below average sales?
Well it severely depends. If their new game was bad, then it deserves to do poorly. If it's average, then no one should expect great sales... However, make an excellent game and surprise the hell out of people, then all their money are belong to us.