AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Old games vs New games

Member Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah?'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-25-2010 03:34 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Old games vs New games

In general, old games seem to be harder than new games. Do you think that it's worth giving up difficulty for graphics?
    Do you prefer old or new games?

I miss games like Jumping Flash!
    Believe it!!

Senior Member Bun-chan has a reputation beyond repute Bun-chan has a reputation beyond repute Bun-chan has a reputation beyond repute Bun-chan has a reputation beyond repute Bun-chan has a reputation beyond repute Bun-chan has a reputation beyond repute Bun-chan has a reputation beyond repute Bun-chan has a reputation beyond repute Bun-chan has a reputation beyond repute Bun-chan has a reputation beyond repute Bun-chan has a reputation beyond repute Bun-chan's Avatar
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-16-2010 01:31 AM
    Threads

in new games you can do like 1000 things and its so confusing. I like old games where you can have fun even if you can only do a few things

Member Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah? has a reputation beyond repute Konichi-Wah?'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Bun-chan View Post
    in new games you can do like 1000 things and its so confusing. I like old games where you can have fun even if you can only do a few things
    I agree! Compare the original Pokemon to the new one. The original was so much fun, now in the newer games I have to worry about doing something at a certain time in the day on a certain day of the week. It can make it fun but sometimes just too confusing!
    Believe it!!

AF's Resident Color Taster Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead has a reputation beyond repute Sr Machinehead's Avatar
    Gil
    Mellow
    Gifts Chameleon Cookie Fuuko Starfish
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-19-2016 02:14 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sr Machinehead PSN ID: Sr_machinehead Steam ID: DocMK

Well new games aren't made for people wanting a challenge anymore. they are trying to take advantage of the fact that these so called new generation of gamers are spoiled and really care about graphics over gameplay. They put more effort into graphics and because of this fact and most companies put out a prettied up game that we have played ten times before. I hardly see anything revolutionary about a modern day FPS that introduces better graphics with the same gameplay if not worse than its predecessors. whatever happened to people playing on the hardest difficulty for the challenge rather than some achievement. But that's just my opinion that's probably riddled with holes.

Set made by me
    "Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

angel in flight poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra has a reputation beyond repute poshyterra's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2010 06:40 PM
    Threads

i find plenty of challenge in modern day games. there are still games that send me cursing back to the last checkpoint. and to say companies forsake difficulty and creativity for graphics is a heaping load of garbage. most this gen games offer difficulty settings. who do you think you are if you wish to rain on somebody's parade if they choose to play it on easy and then go back and try it on hard? games are meant to be fun for anybody if they have the desire to play them. just because they don't play Halo on legendary doesn't mean that companies are "dumbing down" games.

games of past generations are great. but that's just it. they're in the past. that time and era is gone and it's not coming back.

Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 04:41 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Sr Machinehead View Post
    Well new games aren't made for people wanting a challenge anymore.
    You're 15.

It's not that games are getting less challanging, it's that you're getting older, and thus smarter, and thus things that are usually a challange come easier.

And they still make challanging games. It's called play on...Whatever the mode about hard on your current game is. Legendary, Insanity, Survivor, veteren, you know...That sort of thing.
    The ones where getting shot three times are taking two steps to the left instead of two steps to the right means insta-death.

SES Member Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-19-2010 04:38 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 3815-8940-4087-6200

I don't see the connection between graphics and difficulty but games are ALOT easier than they used to be i'll give you that, the main reason I think they are easier is checkpoints and saves, it used to be if you lose all your continues (or die once in some cases) you had to start all over again compared to now when it's just a case of die try again and repeat, its also worth mentioning some of the difficulty on retro games came from being too cheap e.g Ninja Gaiden on the NES (see the latest AVGN).

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Ouch some people are touchy :P
    It's true that there are some games which have insane difficulty settings. And in response to us getting smarter as we get older that's true, I guess I do find them easier but Spyro seems to be harder now than when I was a kid. More games need to be like Final Fantasy 7 or Front Mission. I say make an insanely hard rpg mixing Oblivion and Dragonball Z
    Believe it!!

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

Old Games: Armored Core: The Last Raven (Hard beyond disgrestion.)

New Games: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Hard but easy because it actually helps you.)

That should explain everything.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

Star-Crossed Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2010 04:21 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0202-0359-4623-9027

LETS JUST STOP PROGRESSING THE INDUSTRY AND KEEP THE SAME GRAPHIXXXXX WE HAD IN '89, BECAUSE YOU CANT HAVE BOTH CHALLENGING GAMEPLAY AND GOOD GRAPHIXXXX.

If you only like retro games, then just sit in your corner with your snes or atari or whatever and play those games, but don't come in and gripe about today's games just because you're out of the loop. (Btw I hate FPS)

More games need to be like Final Fantasy 7
    This game is easy.

Well new games aren't made for people wanting a challenge anymore.
    This isn't the case everywhere, but I guess it is for those developing for girls and grandpa. (one of my personal pet-peeves)

And come now, there were easy games back in the day. The "hard" part in most of the popular arcade games was that it just got faster. Now how complex is that? Today we make games challenging in different ways, like stupid A.I.
    Last edited by Buruku; 02-10-2010 at 03:17 PM.
    A MaruDashi Creation

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I think you took me a bit seriously there! I never suggested we don't have good graphics, I love how real games look, was just seeing what people thought about the difficulty. Final Fantasy 7 was easy but it had such an amazing story. It's not like I don't love modern games, I loved MW2 and Assassins Creed 2 is in my top 5 favorites of all time. It's just like, I played a game once and after 40 hours was only 60% through, I miss that
    Believe it!!

Star-Crossed Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2010 04:21 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0202-0359-4623-9027

Quote Originally Posted by Konichi-Wah? View Post
    I think you took me a bit seriously there! I never suggested we don't have good graphics, I love how real games look, was just seeing what people thought about the difficulty. Final Fantasy 7 was easy but it had such an amazing story. It's not like I don't love modern games, I loved MW2 and Assassins Creed 2 is in my top 5 favorites of all time. It's just like, I played a game once and after 40 hours was only 60% through, I miss that
    I just know too many people who complain about games made today without actually playing them, and also using the excuse "they're not challenging enough" when it's actually because they're challenged that they don't stick to it. Doesn't everyone know that guy? There's one in every thread, just wanted to try and scare them away before they got here. Rawr.
    A MaruDashi Creation

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Buruku View Post
    I just know too many people who complain about games made today without actually playing them, and also using the excuse "they're not challenging enough" when it's actually because they're challenged that they don't stick to it. Doesn't everyone know that guy? There's one in every thread, just wanted to try and scare them away before they got here. Rawr.
    I agree, sorry if I wasn't very clear. I kinda just meant how I perceive the difference. Maybe it's because i'm smarter now, although using the game Spyro Year of the Dragon as an example, I'm sure I was better at it as a kid. But I know what you mean, never say a game is easy or hard without playing it. Like Knights of the Old Republic 1, relatively easy game VERY HARD final boss, well for me anyway!
    Believe it!!

Member ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??!'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-03-2010 12:02 PM
    Threads

i wouldnt say that games are any easier now, but i would say that there are MORE EASY games out their now. the video game industry has come a long way in the last 25 years and its no longer just the hobby of introverted nerds. videogames have become increasingly mainstream, (which was the aim from the start: more buyers=more money) and thus the industry has adapted, broadening its prduction. think about it: would you have ever seen a work out video game in 1990? yet wii fit was one of the top selling games of the last quarter. (im sure some one will dig and find an obscure pilates snes game, but i think you see my point).

anyways, the mainstreaming of video games means that the industry has had to open up and not only produce a large number of games but also a large variety, including a variety on difficulty. alot of games are beig made now so that your ppl other than the traditional video game demographic (nerdy young males ages 13-25) will be enticed to buy. these ppl include your grandpa, your little sister, and of course the male population that isnt yout typical gamer (hence the enormous success of madden,guitar hero, etc).

anyways, i think that the games that are still aimed at 'gamers': rpgs, puzzle/adventure games, established series, etc, still maintain their difficulty levels, even if they offer easier settings for casual gamers.

sorry if this is a 'tl;dr' post haha

Member ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??! has a reputation beyond repute ee ja nai ka??!'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-03-2010 12:02 PM
    Threads

also, tho, i do miss the SIMPLISTIC difficulty and length of older games. i remember playing mario64 (which i guess isnt actually 'retro'?) as a kid and being completely unable to complete certain levels and overwhelmed by its scope. 120 stars? rly? RLY??!! then again, i was only like 8 or 9...

Artistic Muse Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin has a reputation beyond repute Kirei Shijin's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Fuuko Starfish 258 - Mudkip Favorite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2012 10:31 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Definitely old games. There's just something about them that reminds me of the good old days. xD

Junior Member Isaac. is a splendid one to behold Isaac. is a splendid one to behold Isaac. is a splendid one to behold Isaac. is a splendid one to behold Isaac. is a splendid one to behold Isaac. is a splendid one to behold Isaac.'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2010 01:52 PM
    Threads

Play Phantasy Star 4. It's nice to look at AND it will frustrate you.

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think this depends on the game you want to talk about. I remember the original Doom. That game was pretty unforgiving at times, what with no ammo, no checkpoints - yeah you could quicksave if you wanted, but the game wouldn't hold your hand and do it for you...you couldn't even look up to see stuff that was shooting at you...

Modern Warfare 2 isn't hard. It's easy. It just cheats. I think the only CoD I found to be hard was United Offensive. Maybe CoD2 had it's moments too.

FEAR was easy, once you got going and got the hang of the powers, as was Timeshift, and Max Payne. Last FPS game that I had to stop and think about what to do was Crysis. And that was boss battles, and running out of ammo for my SCAR all the time. But it was never infuriating.

Senior Member rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch's Avatar
    Gil
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2014 05:35 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lots of bits PSN ID: rf_switch Steam ID: lotsofbits

I like them both. This switch to 3D games seems to have everyone thinking they need to make an epically long game. Which is fine I suppose. It's still pretty annoying when people complain about a game only taking 8 hours to beat. Some games shouldn't take any longer than that. To get the style of game we used to get on consoles you pretty much have to go the handheld route. Or now with WiiWare, XBLA, and PSN.

Older games were harder sure. If they had made them easy you'd beat a lot of them in 30min or so..maybe less. Just try playing older Arcade games with unlimited credits....
    Last edited by rf switch; 02-16-2010 at 02:01 AM.

Senior Member Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock has a reputation beyond repute Lily Rock's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts M1911 Battleship Favorite
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-03-2013 07:31 AM
    Threads

Old good Nintendo 8-BIT is the best game's ever, i still have the console.
    Heeey!

Senior Member rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch's Avatar
    Gil
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2014 05:35 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lots of bits PSN ID: rf_switch Steam ID: lotsofbits

Quote Originally Posted by Dabboo View Post
    Old good Nintendo 8-BIT is the best game's ever, i still have the console.
    If you really are 13 then I'm a bit surprised by that statement. It's not bad or anything...I'm just surprised is all.

Member WillemStyle has a reputation beyond repute WillemStyle has a reputation beyond repute WillemStyle has a reputation beyond repute WillemStyle has a reputation beyond repute WillemStyle has a reputation beyond repute WillemStyle has a reputation beyond repute WillemStyle has a reputation beyond repute WillemStyle has a reputation beyond repute WillemStyle has a reputation beyond repute WillemStyle has a reputation beyond repute WillemStyle has a reputation beyond repute WillemStyle's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-24-2010 04:15 PM
    Threads

Super mario ftw! Commander Keen! Sonic the Hedgehog! Supaplex!

Missing al those :'(

Closed Thread

Thread Information