January 11, 2010 (Renton, Wash.) – Today, Wizards of the Coast LLC announced a new six-book deal with New York Times best-selling author R.A. Salvatore. Published by Wizards of the Coast, the first book is scheduled to release in 2011 with a new book anticipated to follow once per year after that. Salvatore’s thrilling novels have sold millions of copies in more than a dozen languages and have appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list 22 times. His most popular character, Drizzt Do’Urden from the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms setting, will be featured in each of his six upcoming books.
“I’ve always maintained that I would keep writing Drizzt as long as it was fun and as long as people wanted to read it. Now I understand that this journey with Drizzt is more than just ‘fun’ for me,” says Salvatore. “Writing Drizzt is an exercise of constantly reminding myself to find new trails and adventures in my own life; the character remains fresh to me because there’s always a new turn, sometimes painful, often joyous, always alive.”
This new agreement marks more than 20 years that Salvatore has been working with TSR/Wizards of the Coast. From his first novel, The Crystal Shard, to his most recent release, The Ghost King, Salvatore’s novels have brought adventure and excitement to fans and fantasy readers around the world.
“We are delighted to ink a new multi-book deal with R.A. Salvatore, and we look forward to continuing our shared creative journey,” said Liz Schuh, Brand Director for D&D. “Together, we will bring six more thrilling Dungeons & Dragons stories featuring Drizzt Do’Urden to our loyal fan base.”
When asked how he feels about the new book deal, Salvatore affirmed, “My relationship with the whole team at Wizards of the Coast could not be better. And nothing makes me happier than the prospect of walking new roads with old friends.”
About R.A. Salvatore
R.A. Salvatore is best known as the creator of the dark elf Drizzt, one of the fantasy genre's most beloved characters. With over 15 million books sold in the U.S. alone, more than four dozen books to his credit, more than 20 New York Times bestsellers and numerous game credits, Salvatore has become one of the most important figures in modern epic fantasy. His first published novel was The Crystal Shard in 1988. Since that time, Salvatore has published numerous novels, including the New York Times best-selling Sea of Swords, The Thousand Orcs, and The Orc King.
About Wizards of the Coast
Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE: HAS) is the leader in entertaining the lifestyle gamer. The company holds an exclusive patent on trading card games (TCGs) and their method of play and produces the premier trading card game, Magic: The Gathering, among many other trading card games and family card and board games. Wizards is also a leading publisher of role-playing games, such as Dungeons & Dragons, and publisher of fantasy series fiction with numerous New York Times best-sellers. For more information, visit the Wizards of the Coast website at www.wizards.com
Wizards of the Coast, Dungeons & Dragons and Forgotten Realms are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast LLC in the U.S.A. and other countries. Other trademarks are property of their respective owner. 2010 Wizards.