AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Recommend an anime for EoE fan

Member vassock is infamous around these parts vassock is infamous around these parts vassock is infamous around these parts vassock is infamous around these parts vassock is infamous around these parts vassock is infamous around these parts vassock's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-09-2011 09:51 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Recommend an anime for EoE fan

SPOILERS included.

So I watched some anime and I must say I'm pretty happy with it. I am pretty much done with what I have so I was wondering if you have some recommendations on where to go from here. Here is some of what I've seen and what I thought:

DBZ: Decent anime, but it fails to stir emotion and it never really goes anywhere with its episodes. Death is not permanent and not really death and it just seems to drag on and on even if you ignore the "filler" episodes.

Fullmetal Alchemist + movie: Great one. Kind of sad at times and I was rather impressed. Impressive animation. Ending is sad, but not as bad as it could be.

NGE and End of Evangelion movie: By far the best anime I've seen. Horribly depressing if you watch EoE (Misato's death) and it has to be by far the most depressing series (if you include EoE) I have ever seen. I can't even think of any games, movies or anything else that comes close. My only gripe is that the ending of EoE could have given the viewers a bit more closure.

Watching now: Saikano. Kind of sad, but cannot even touch the sadness of EoE. I was expecting it to be even harder given the reviews I've read. Oh well, perhaps the last episode will do it for me. Did anyone else think that Saikano's animation was somewhat less expressive/emotional than that of EoE?

So where do I go from here? Can NGE be topped? I prefer English dubs.
    Last edited by vassock; 12-14-2009 at 10:43 PM.

The Man With No Signature The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-12-2010 10:09 AM
    Threads

Correct me if I'm wrong but you sound like you're looking for depressing stuff, right?

Forgive me, but in my opinion NGE doesn't even come close to thee stuff when it comes to being "sad":

Grave of the Fireflies - Will show you the harsh realities experienced by civilians in wartime Japan.

Barefoot Gen - Just like Grave of the Fireflies, shows you what people had to go through during the aftermath of the atomic bombing.

The Cockpit: Kamikaze Stories - Yes, wartime Japan again, but this time we are looking at the soldier's perspectives.

Member vassock is infamous around these parts vassock is infamous around these parts vassock is infamous around these parts vassock is infamous around these parts vassock is infamous around these parts vassock is infamous around these parts vassock's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Crane View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but you sound like you're looking for depressing stuff, right?

Forgive me, but in my opinion NGE doesn't even come close to thee stuff when it comes to being "sad":

Grave of the Fireflies - Will show you the harsh realities experienced by civilians in wartime Japan.

Barefoot Gen - Just like Grave of the Fireflies, shows you what people had to go through during the aftermath of the atomic bombing.

The Cockpit: Kamikaze Stories - Yes, wartime Japan again, but this time we are looking at the soldier's perspectives.
    I saw Grave of Fireflies, and while it was more sad in the short-term (especially if you watch the very beginning right after you watch the ending), I feel as though they could not get the viewers to become as attached to the characters as they could in NGE. They spend 24-25 episodes developing the characters and then they die just like that (and the Misato death scene is super sad). Well, I guess what is more depressing and haunting varies from person to person. I'll look into the latter two you mentioned since I saw the first one already.

It's not that I'm looking for depressing stuff, it's that I'm looking for deep stuff. And generally deep and depressing go together.

Also, what do you think about Outlaw Star? Barefoot Gen 2?

The Man With No Signature The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-12-2010 10:09 AM
    Threads

Gen and Cockpit are deep and serious and depressing, some major characters were even drawn in an unrealistic and odd way (by anime's standards). You know, drawn that way to bolster up the characters' jolly and happy-go-lucky personalities only to be killed brutally and do some heroic acts in the end.

Just imagine characters that look like a cross between Shin-Chan and Astro Boy being gunned-down...

Well, you know what i mean...
    Last edited by The Grey Crane; 12-15-2009 at 12:42 AM.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Crane View Post
    Gen and Cockpit are deep and serious and depressing, some major characters were even drawn in an unrealistic and odd way (by anime's standards). You know, drawn that way to bolster up the characters' jolly and happy-go-lucky personalities only to be killed brutally and do some heroic acts in the end.

Just imagine characters that look like a cross between Shin-Chan and Astro Boy being gunned-down...

Well, you know what i mean...
    Couldn't really say as I haven't seen those. Personally, I like it when the series can develop a regular looking character and then kill it in a sad way. That's why I keep mentioning NGE and Misato.

boopaloop! TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2012 08:46 PM
    Threads

If it's deep/sad or whatever, Ergo Proxy is fantastic. Quite possibly my favorite anime (and I've seen NGE, it can be topped lol...just not easily =p)

"dude your user name is B.A! props! sounds like a stoner metal band *loves stoner metal*...i might steal it >.>"

-RaShayRitto

Senior Member Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2010 10:15 PM
    Threads

Code Geass
    Cowboy Bebop
    Fantastic Children
    All Gundam series (except G Gundam, which is more goofy but not bad if you get in the mood for that sort of thing, and Seed Destiny, which is just awful)
    Kino's Journey
    Noein: To Your Other Self
    Now and Then, Here and There
    Paranoia Agent
    Place Promised in Our Early Days
    Princess Mononoke
    Tekkonkinkreet
    When They Cry ("Higurashi")

These may not top Evangelion, but they mostly have a nice mix of seriousness, sad moments, and some can be deep.
    My name is Kakashi Hatake. What I like....I don't feel like telling you that. My dreams for the future...hmm, never really thought about that. As for my hobbies...well, I have many hobbies.

Member AutisticOtakuGirl is infamous around these parts AutisticOtakuGirl is infamous around these parts AutisticOtakuGirl is infamous around these parts AutisticOtakuGirl is infamous around these parts AutisticOtakuGirl is infamous around these parts AutisticOtakuGirl is infamous around these parts AutisticOtakuGirl is infamous around these parts AutisticOtakuGirl is infamous around these parts AutisticOtakuGirl is infamous around these parts AutisticOtakuGirl is infamous around these parts AutisticOtakuGirl is infamous around these parts AutisticOtakuGirl's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-15-2010 08:19 PM
    I live in Orlando Florida (you know, the Disney state.)
    Threads

If you're interested in an anime with the same level of trippy symbolism and weirdness or something that makes you go "WTF!" I would suggest Adolescence of Utena. In fact I believe the same people who worked on End of Evangelion also worked on this one.

Closed Thread

Thread Information