AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Requesting Criticism(Prismacolor help?)

Senior Member Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Gifts Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-25-2012 04:29 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Requesting Criticism(Prismacolor help?)

In Art 2, I currently have a project where I'm working with color pencils, specifically Prismacolors.
    I'm not too experienced with them, especially with skin tone, which I really need help with. Whenever I look over my shoulder and look at my fellow classmate's artwork, I get jealous because her skintone looks amazing- it looks like a few notches down from hyperrealism. She is one of the best artist in the class, so am I, and another small group in Art 2.

I'm having a lot of trouble with skin tone. I either press too hard or use the wrong colors, and I don't overlap them lightly as I should. I restarted on the project, so now I'm about three weeks worth of work behind.
    I'm having trouble with my faces(and yes its me) so I have to have a lot of colors to work with(I have the Prismacolor Premier color pencils in a set of 24)

Ignore my foot, I'm double jointed. . .
    I put a lot of freaking white around my eyes on the first face because I used the green undertone too dark, and I gave up darkening my face in the second one.
    Notes I have right now:
    Coloring~
    Keep Pencil Sharp
    Color Lightly
    Slowly build color to intensity(if blending)
    Use accent colors to attract interest
    Use complementary colors to make more vivid darks
    Closer lines
    Skintone~
    Green/Blue undertones for dark areas
    Yellow in light areas
    Light layer of peach
    Blend red in medium tones
    Light layer of white
    Blue, purple, or brown in dark areas

Gahhhhh. . . I wish I had my Prismacolor blender, but I let my friend borrow it and he keeps forgetting to bring it back ;_;
    I have trouble with everything, because I really don't know how to vary my pressure, and I think I choose too dark of a color on everything.
    Any more tips with prismacolors? Note that I restarted on a new sheet, and that these shown are my first works. I just need more tips so I don't repeat my mistakes, mainly on darkening.
    Also if you can suggest a color palette for both my faces, that would really help =3
    ooshy ooshy ooshy
    Website|Deviantart
    Msn, email, icq, Facebook? Ask

Senior Member Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-06-2012 04:02 PM
    I live at my house. haha I know right hilarious?
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Mokochocolatte View Post

Green/Blue undertones for dark areas
    Yellow in light areas
    Light layer of peach
    Blend red in medium tones
    Light layer of white
    Blue, purple, or brown in dark areas

I would actually not use those color combos at all, not if you're going for realism.
    you can play around with things like that in paint, because it blends well, that's not the case with colored pencil (as you know)

Stick to white, black, orange, brown, red, pink, and colors of that sort of tone. Otherwise the contrast is unrealistic.

I'd say the rest is good, a useful tip is that if you have turpentine *which most art rooms have for oil painting* you can use it with a paintbrush and it blends colored pencil together beautifully.

Senior Member Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet has a reputation beyond repute Alphabet's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Gifts Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolley View Post
    I would actually not use those color combos at all, not if you're going for realism.
    you can play around with things like that in paint, because it blends well, that's not the case with colored pencil (as you know)

Stick to white, black, orange, brown, red, pink, and colors of that sort of tone. Otherwise the contrast is unrealistic.

I'd say the rest is good, a useful tip is that if you have turpentine *which most art rooms have for oil painting* you can use it with a paintbrush and it blends colored pencil together beautifully.
    Ahh, but my art teacher is amazing, otherwise Patty from last year wouldn't have mastered coloring. She's like god for coloring, especially since her artwork which was color pencils and she got a 4 at State competition. I'll stick with the colors that coffee man(teacher) gave me because it worked so well for everybody. Green/Blue is just undertones, which I have under my eyes and around my hand that are fairly visible. We start with our undertones and the red, then a layer of peach, then a wash of white, and build over that. Coffee man did a demonstration for us with the colors and it blended quite well and looked like real skin(he did his hand).
    This is realistic, and I don't think coffee man would allow turpentine on our paper. . .
    ooshy ooshy ooshy
    Website|Deviantart

Senior Member Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall has a reputation beyond repute Annie Hall's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-06-2012 04:02 PM
    I live at my house. haha I know right hilarious?
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Well, you did ask for advice and the best I can give you is to abandon that color scheme. But, if it works for you then that's great.

Personally I'm more of a paint person anyway, and I would freak out if I had to do a color pencil drawing without turpendine...
    Luckily my art teacher lets me do whatever I feel inspired to do, since it's AP. I hate art classes that demand things from you.
    Last edited by Annie Hall; 12-04-2009 at 06:41 PM.

Senior Member brokenORCHID is infamous around these parts brokenORCHID is infamous around these parts brokenORCHID is infamous around these parts brokenORCHID is infamous around these parts brokenORCHID is infamous around these parts brokenORCHID is infamous around these parts brokenORCHID is infamous around these parts brokenORCHID is infamous around these parts brokenORCHID is infamous around these parts brokenORCHID is infamous around these parts brokenORCHID is infamous around these parts brokenORCHID's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-25-2010 09:00 AM
    Threads

For pencils I don't think the colours you've got are the problem Ive seen people in my class make realistic pieces with just 2 or 3 shades.

From looking at your pictures I think you re leaning too hard in some places and too light in others if you want good advice on you're technique ask the girl from you're class for some help.
    ........Never have a whole life,always broken......

Member GP.Cò has a reputation beyond repute GP.Cò has a reputation beyond repute GP.Cò has a reputation beyond repute GP.Cò has a reputation beyond repute GP.Cò has a reputation beyond repute GP.Cò has a reputation beyond repute GP.Cò has a reputation beyond repute GP.Cò has a reputation beyond repute GP.Cò has a reputation beyond repute GP.Cò has a reputation beyond repute GP.Cò has a reputation beyond repute GP.Cò's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-12-2011 01:34 AM
    Threads

Can you use water color? I think it's better than pencil
    For ex, my friend arts

My gal: http://gponizuka.deviantart.com/
    Love manga, love anime forever

Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Gifts Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GP.Cò View Post
    Can you use water color? I think it's better than pencil
    For ex, my friend arts
    I forgot to mention that I'm in Art 2 Drawing.
    ooshy ooshy ooshy
    Website|Deviantart

The spawn of Lou Barlow! Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri has a reputation beyond repute Tsuna Kadiri's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-22-2010 08:10 PM
    Threads

Wow, I'm discovering this a little late, but I could help some. I go to an art university, so I have a decent amount of experience!

Always start off light. Light pressure, lightest color, think of lighter beige/yellow tones to begin with. You go too dark or apply too much pressure, especially at first, your ability to blend and create a smooth color transition lessens.

Despite what type of Prismacolors you have, they all manage to blend pretty well. I know my art teacher in high school had the Scholar Prismacolors (they're a little different than the more basic ones you can get at any craft store) so if there's a chance, those are nicer to use. Least in my experience.

That's just some basic advice. Don't think of a specific color pallate too much, I'd say. The notes you have are nice pointers but you definitely don't have to stick to them. Don't think, just work!

I have a few portraits I've done with Prismacolor pencils, if you'd like to see them or anything just message me or something. Might be helpful to look at.

Blizzard's #1 Forum Rat Vyndrasta has a reputation beyond repute Vyndrasta has a reputation beyond repute Vyndrasta has a reputation beyond repute Vyndrasta has a reputation beyond repute Vyndrasta has a reputation beyond repute Vyndrasta has a reputation beyond repute Vyndrasta has a reputation beyond repute Vyndrasta has a reputation beyond repute Vyndrasta has a reputation beyond repute Vyndrasta has a reputation beyond repute Vyndrasta has a reputation beyond repute Vyndrasta's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts Nachos
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-09-2011 08:09 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I was directed here by your sig Mokochocolatte.

I cant leave without saying that's a great attempt to draw your self.

Don't worry too much if you're having a hard time. People say that Leonardo Da Vinci worked on his Mona Lisa painting for nearly 5-6 years. 4 years on her lips alone. I wouldn't know, but behind me mentioning that is maybe you will get it right soon.

Beautiful pic by the way.

-LV
    the lovely miss keri hilson - - -

Not taking any sig/av request - - -

Closed Thread

Thread Information