AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dubbed and subbed.

Cold-Blooded IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess's Avatar
    Gil
    Asleep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-17-2011 10:46 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

I like only subbed animes. Reasons: (Sorry if this will be repeating, but I just give you my own reasons)
    1. Dubbed voice actors are terrible.
    2. I like japanese language very much, and they are always well-selected.
    3. I'm used to watching subbed and when I try to watch it dubbed I just miss those subtitres . And I can read subtitle well, without missing a second of anime action.
    4. Japanese is the language, that Anime was created in. Anime is japanese animation after all. And so there are some words that in english wouldn't sound too good..
    It is stupid to be afraid to die, but the most stupid thing is to be afraid to live.

Member alchemist4533 is on a distinguished road alchemist4533's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-14-2012 03:26 AM
    Threads

The only issue I have with dubs is that *on occasion*, they tend to alter the dialogue and aim it to a younger audience. Maybe that is also because they are being released on public television...
    Now if it comes down to dub voices vs original...well, to each their own. I personally enjoy sub, but there are a few anime in which I enjoy the dubbed better (Full Metal Alchemist), and some that I can not stand (Naruto). but again, I don't think there is a wrong or right answer.

みんなで歌おうよ!
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari has a reputation beyond repute Aku no Hikari's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-14-2013 06:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by IcePriestess
    3. I'm used to watching subbed and when I try to watch it dubbed I just miss those subtitres . And I can read subtitle well, without missing a second of anime action.
    4. Japanese is the language, that Anime was created in. Anime is japanese animation after all. And so there are some words that in english wouldn't sound too good..
    5. Dubbing the anime makes it lose its spirit. It becomes silly and uninteresting to watch. I imagine myself watching the first episode of Death Note in English... *pukes!!*

But you know what's even better than subtitles? If you are too good in the Japanese language and you understand everything and follow the conversations without the subtitles. (Yeah, that's gonna take YEARS <_<.. or maybe a native Japanese?? )
    Last edited by Aku no Hikari; 09-14-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Senior Member Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22 has a reputation beyond repute Bluemoon22's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2009 10:42 AM
    Threads

For me it depends on the anime. Normally I like subbed better because the voices are generally better in my opinion. I also dislike that sometimes the content (swearing, violence, graphic scenes) gets edited when it's shown in America. Most of it really isn't as bad as stuff that's shown over here anyways, I don't really see the point. But, there are dubs with voices that I'm a fan of, like Full Metal Alchemist. Also, if I'm trying to multitask I might watch a dub. It's hard to work on something else if you're trying to read subtitles.

Member Yuliya has a reputation beyond repute Yuliya has a reputation beyond repute Yuliya has a reputation beyond repute Yuliya has a reputation beyond repute Yuliya has a reputation beyond repute Yuliya has a reputation beyond repute Yuliya has a reputation beyond repute Yuliya has a reputation beyond repute Yuliya has a reputation beyond repute Yuliya has a reputation beyond repute Yuliya has a reputation beyond repute Yuliya's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-16-2010 02:48 AM
    Threads

I like dubs better, mostly because I do like to focus on what's going on rather than reading at the bottom of the screen. Plus, because I usually watch anime late at night, my eyes start to hurt from reading it on the computer.

And about the voices, it's all about which one you watch first. And personally, I find most voices, period, annoying, at first. I don't really have a preference. But I'll say that I really like Bankotsu's dub voice better for the sheer fact that his English voice actually sounds like a 17-year-old whereas his Japanese voice sounds like a 40-year-old man.

But I also do get mad when they edit it for younger audiences. Some characters I find really funny because they swear a lot and then they make them say something totally lame instead. (But then I just read the manga when I'm feeling a lack of swear words.)
    Last edited by Yuliya; 09-14-2009 at 09:07 PM.

Anti-Dentite Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus.'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-17-2010 08:30 PM
    Threads

I prefer the subbed more so because it's better to me. I mean don't get me wrong dubbed is okay with SOME anime; only being FLCL and a few others but I like subbed more. I can watch and read it at the same time because im use to it lol
    8.27.08 <----

Sig made by Novak~

"You know, I don't get it. Since when are you not allowed to ask a Chinese man where a Chinese restaurant is? I mean, aren't we getting a little too sensitive here? If someone asks me, "which direction is Israel," I don't go flying off the handle."
    - Jerry Seinfeld

Forever 12. Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-01-2013 07:01 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IcePriestess View Post
    I like only subbed animes. Reasons: (Sorry if this will be repeating, but I just give you my own reasons)
    Because you'be obviously heard every dub ever in the history of mankind. I mean, it can't be possible that English voice actors do good. (cough)Cowboy Bebop, Eureka Seven, Ghost in the Shell, BECK, Samurai Champloo (cough)

Because you've obviously heard every Japanese voice actor ever and even though they can over-dramatize basic situation like screaming at stupid moments like in Inu Yasha.

That one is more personal preference that doesn't need previous knowledge or makes a claim like Japanese voice actors are always well-selected.

4. Japanese is the language, that Anime was created in. Anime is japanese animation after all. And so there are some words that in english wouldn't sound too good...
    A lot of anime directors like the dubs more than the original.

5. Dubbing the anime makes it lose its spirit. It becomes silly and uninteresting to watch. I imagine myself watching the first episode of Death Note in English... *pukes!!*
    How the Heck does it make it lose it's spirit? By simply changing the language, a show can lose it's impact? I mean, there are some pretty crap dubs but obviously you haven't taken two seconds to look past this anime purist thinking and actually appreciate a good dub.

I mean, I didn't REALLY cry when I watched Castle in the Sky in English because English-dubbed anime is just silly and childish.
    On this day of days, most epic and prideful, you were born 15 whole American years ago!
    Through the odds and by doing the impossible, you beat out hundreds of thousands of siblings in the great sperm race for the coveted egg.
    Probably via hax.
    Regardless! You won!
    So remember, whenever someone picks on you or calls you weak or small.
    Just remind them that you beat out a few hundred thousand other wimps.

And the grand prize was not dying!

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by IcePriestess View Post
    Congratulations on having watched One Piece and Naruto.

Are you kidding me? Perhaps if you're unfamiliar with how Japanese sounds they all sound good, but there's a pretty good number of Japanese voice actors that just outright suck. The girl who played Maka in Soul Eater? The guy who played Ed in Fullmetal Alchemist?

1.Weeaboo.
    2. It's the meaning of the world that matters. There's also words that sound much better in english than in Japanese.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Junior Member HyenaMan has a spectacular aura about HyenaMan has a spectacular aura about HyenaMan has a spectacular aura about HyenaMan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-06-2011 06:54 PM
    Threads

I prefer Subs. Never had problems with long sentences and english is not my 1st language(maybe that's why I'm used to subs, long time with movies and tv series xD). Can't stand Dubbed animes but maybe because got used to subs. Tried Rurouni Kenshin dubbed, after the 3 episode went to the subs version, felt better to me but it's a personal opinion of course. Same thing with Full Metal Panic. But actually liked the way Golden Boy was dubbed(never tried the subbed of this one, didn't needed :P). It's all about everyone's habits and tastes I guess. regards

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

English voice actors are not selected well but if you actually try to say a sentence and hear what they say, it actually makes sense. On the other hand, Japanese voice actors are selected very well but saying a japanese sentences displayed as a subtitle in English sometimes will not make any sense. Either way, it just a manner of preference. I like English audio because the characters actually say stuff that makes sense.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

Junior Member LeRolls will become famous soon enough LeRolls will become famous soon enough LeRolls's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-03-2009 11:48 AM
    Threads

For foreign films I like listening to the original language track because it doesn't feel right to me to have it any other way but with anime most of the characters usually look either European or American anyway so it works for me.

Senior Member AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-08-2010 02:26 AM
    Threads

I definitely prefer subs over dubs. Dubs simply don't capture the essence of the Japanese language. Not to mention that the variety of English dubbers is limited, therefore repeated voice actors are repetitive.

My primary concern with dubs are that they simply don't capture the Japanese language, the emotions of the original characters, things that the English language can't do. Take Code Geass as an example. Lelouch in Japanese creates an image of a powerful, Artemis Fowl-esque teenager, but when I hear the English version of Lelouch, it simply sounds...bad. He sounds like the average kid, with no power in his voice, no sonorous "I, Lelouch Lamperouge, command you to DIE!" It lacks something that the English language, as well as the restricted selection of voice actors, cannot compensate for.

I agree, there are dubs that are worth watching (strangely, I wouldn't put Cowboy Bebop on my top 5 dubs. I personally think the dubs for Cowboy Bebop are severely overrated.) But the essence of the Japanese language and characters, in my opinion, can only be fully capture in the original language.

Granted, reading subs while watching the anime seems troublesome to most people. Thankfully, I'm granted the gift of reading very fast, so this obstacle is mere dust in my path.

I'm all in for subs, though I don't hate dubs (well, there are MANY anime series that I truly believe were ****ed up because of the dubs.)
    .::ANIME is DOPAMINE to me::.

[[
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]]

No Rain No Rainbow!!! OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Red Dango Fuuko Starfish Cake
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2018 12:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: k9craze

Arrow

I watch both. But I like sub more. I'm used to it, plus I can't (more like don't want to) buy dubs.

Of course it depends upon the person if they want subs or dubs.
    [Random words of wisdom here]
    [Photo signature here]
    [Random words here]

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I prefer to watch the dub, as long as it's available. I just prefer to hear my own language. I think Japanese is beautiful, and I don't mind hearing it, but after a long day of whatever I've been up to, I want to relax, not read subtitles.

If that's all that's available, or the English actors are terrible, then I watch the subs.

One thing that bugs me is literal translations. Most recent is from Bleach - Shinigami vs Soul Reaper. I am aware of what a Shinigami is, and would have just preferred that they use the Japanese word. They do it so hit-and-miss...it just bugs me.

The Man With No Signature The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-12-2010 10:09 AM
    Threads

First and foremost it's a thing of preference and my preference leans greatly towards dubs but I'm not choosy. I don't really mind it that much at all, i can equally enjoy a subbed show just as much or maybe even more than a dubbed one, or vice versa. Unless of course it's a case of epic fail.

------------

As far as i see it, a lot of the people that are pro-subs are either: (not limited to this forum only)

a) More used to it - This points out to people who were born in a country wherein subs are usually used in TV programming. This could also mean people with very little access to dubbed stuff.

b) Simply 'prefers it' - They simply prefer it, with a good reason of course.

c) Been misled by bad dubs - You see a lot of people complaining 'bout how bad the dubs of *insert shows here* are. Yes, they've seen a badly dubbed show (by their standards) and simply dismisses the fact that the shows they've seen aren't the only dubbed stuff in the world. Hence, they're all out against it, some even refuse to see an anime if it isn't subbed.

d) Just loves Japan.... SO MUCH - These are the folks who are just so caught up in the make-believe realm of anime and the Japanese ways reflected therein. They love the sound of the Japanese language, but most of them can't understand it. They claim to be able to (or have been able to) learn the Japanese language through it, but make them converse with someone fluent in it and you see them lose their tongue. This often hodge-podges with letter 'e'.

e) Suffering from a severe case of purism - These are the folks who are just so caught up in the make-believe realm of anime and the Japanese 'originality' present therein. They don't technically love the sound of the language but hearing anything other than it is absolutely unacceptable because it's "not the original voices, words, or the story anymore." This often hodge-podges with letter 'd'.

f) Just jumping into the bandwagon - Let's face it, subbing in anime has boomed during the past few years and because it's seemingly the 'in' thing, they go along with it. This often hodge-podges with 'c', 'd', and 'e'.

g) Mixed-up - Combination of two or more examples stated above. (or others not mentioned)

Take note that falling under c, d, e, and f are kinda *insert appropriate word here*. Don't you think?

C, with its negative nature can also be applied to pro-dubs as well.

----------

Subs aren't bad, they allow people with hearing impediments to comprehend what they're watching nonetheless.

Dubs aren't bad, they allow people with sight impediments comprehend what they're 'watching' (hearing) nonetheless.

Subbing works for countries where the majority of the populace speaks different languages.

Dubbing works for countries where the majority of the populace speaks a single language.

The pros and cons could go on....

What seems kinda *insert appropriate word here* is the fact that when threads like this one pop out, it's not uncommon to see someone (most of the time, a pro-sub person) who hands out rather *insert appropriate word here* reasons regarding their preference. Of course, they are entitled to their own opinion and baselines of preference, i'm not saying they're wrong and that people that are not like them are right. I'm merely pointing out a few things, and i know a lot of people will fall under the seemingly negative categories i've mentioned.

Resident Japanese Girl
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi has a reputation beyond repute suzumi's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-11-2014 01:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Gjallarhorn View Post
    Are you kidding me? Perhaps if you're unfamiliar with how Japanese sounds they all sound good, but there's a pretty good number of Japanese voice actors that just outright suck. The girl who played Maka in Soul Eater? The girl who played Ed in Fullmetal Alchemist?
    I fix your post for you. //15

And I like Paku Romi. I think she did an excellent job playing Ed.

I watch subs. ...And I laugh at the translation. =P

Personally (seeing as how I am Japanese and fluent in my language), I like subs better. I'm a seiyuu (voice actor) fanatic, and I watch a lot of anime based on the cast, so for me, if you change the cast, then a lot of the attraction is taken away.

I do enjoy some dubs. I personally loved the dub for "Laputa: Castle in the Sky". It was amazing!! I loved how they gave Sheeta a English accent. It made her character very classy. And the ad-libs were brilliant.

"Spirited Away", on the other hand, made me want to cry. In a bad way. The only person who's voice I felt matched the character was the girl who voiced Rin. She seemed to be the only one who could pronounce things properly. Now I get that "Spirited Away" must have been very hard to participate in (voice acting-wise), because even though it was translated, there were still a lot of Japanese terms and names that stayed the same. And I get that most Japanese names are hard to pronounce properly, but the entire time I was sitting there thinking; "Come on, you guys are professionals!! You can do better than that!"

It was very conflicting. >_<
    ELPHABA LIVES!!

Senior Member AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku has a reputation beyond repute AznOtaku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Crane View Post
    First and foremost it's a thing of preference and my preference leans greatly towards dubs but I'm not choosy. I don't really mind it that much at all, i can equally enjoy a subbed show just as much or maybe even more than a dubbed one, or vice versa. Unless of course it's a case of epic fail.

------------

As far as i see it, a lot of the people that are pro-subs are either: (not limited to this forum only)

a) More used to it - This points out to people who were born in a country wherein subs are usually used in TV programming. This could also mean people with very little access to dubbed stuff.

b) Simply 'prefers it' - They simply prefer it, with a good reason of course.

c) Been misled by bad dubs - You see a lot of people complaining 'bout how bad the dubs of *insert shows here* are. Yes, they've seen a badly dubbed show (by their standards) and simply dismisses the fact that the shows they've seen aren't the only dubbed stuff in the world. Hence, they're all out against it, some even refuse to see an anime if it isn't subbed.

d) Just loves Japan.... SO MUCH - These are the folks who are just so caught up in the make-believe realm of anime and the Japanese ways reflected therein. They love the sound of the Japanese language, but most of them can't understand it. They claim to be able to (or have been able to) learn the Japanese language through it, but make them converse with someone fluent in it and you see them lose their tongue. This often hodge-podges with letter 'e'.

e) Suffering from a severe case of purism - These are the folks who are just so caught up in the make-believe realm of anime and the Japanese 'originality' present therein. They don't technically love the sound of the language but hearing anything other than it is absolutely unacceptable because it's "not the original voices, words, or the story anymore." This often hodge-podges with letter 'd'.

f) Just jumping into the bandwagon - Let's face it, subbing in anime has boomed during the past few years and because it's seemingly the 'in' thing, they go along with it. This often hodge-podges with 'c', 'd', and 'e'.

g) Mixed-up - Combination of two or more examples stated above. (or others not mentioned)

Take note that falling under c, d, e, and f are kinda *insert appropriate word here*. Don't you think?

C, with its negative nature can also be applied to pro-dubs as well.

----------

Subs aren't bad, they allow people with hearing impediments to comprehend what they're watching nonetheless.

Dubs aren't bad, they allow people with sight impediments comprehend what they're 'watching' (hearing) nonetheless.

Subbing works for countries where the majority of the populace speaks different languages.

Dubbing works for countries where the majority of the populace speaks a single language.

The pros and cons could go on....

What seems kinda *insert appropriate word here* is the fact that when threads like this one pop out, it's not uncommon to see someone (most of the time, a pro-sub person) who hands out rather *insert appropriate word here* reasons regarding their preference. Of course, they are entitled to their own opinion and baselines of preference, i'm not saying they're wrong and that people that are not like them are right. I'm merely pointing out a few things, and i know a lot of people will fall under the seemingly negative categories i've mentioned.
    I'm choice B. Yes, I'm a bit used to it, but that's not the whole reason. It's not that I hate dubs because of some bad dubs (for some reason, the shows I watch are all pretty bad dubs, with just a few exceptions.) I'm not (insert word meaning adore Japan but not sharing the same ethnicity or race, because for some reason W-panese is censored), nor do I adore Japan. Nor am I E or F.

Again, I prefer subs simply because the essence of the Japanese language can't be easily captured by English. The flow of the words, the phonics, it's very hard to match in English. The limited selection of English dubbers also makes many shows sound very similar, and the low variety means some people are forced into a role that doesn't match their voice (ahem, Lelouch. It simply sounds so...childlike and awkward when the English Lelouch commands people to die in a higher pitched voice without the sonority the Japanese seiyu has). I know there are good dubs, and I sometimes watch them, but it's my preference for the sound of linguistics and expression of emotion from a wider range of voice actors/actresses that leads me to prefer subs greatly over dubs.
    Last edited by AznOtaku; 10-02-2009 at 09:01 AM.

[[
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]]

☆Good Lucky☆ BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-07-2012 08:05 PM
    Threads

I'm really not too picky, but I'll generally watch a dub if it's available, as long as it's a standable one. Generally i don't want to feel like I'm working at something when I'm watching anime.

Personally I could care less about linguistical differences or whatever. As long as it does not pierce my ears then I'm good. I'm not saying I'd want things like J-rock/pop to be engishized but as far as something like anime goes it's all good for the most part.

That being said, I don't really keep track of like what dubs are definately better then subs, since I tend to only watch the dubs or only watch the subs of a show (unless it happens to something that has aired on Adult Swim or Sci-Fi like Code Geass, or Gurren Lagan) so in general I never get to compare the two to actually see which one I like better.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by BestFly View Post
    I'm really not too picky, but I'll generally watch a dub if it's available, as long as it's a standable one. Generally i don't want to feel like I'm working at something when I'm watching anime.

Personally I could care less about linguistical differences or whatever. As long as it does not pierce my ears then I'm good. I'm not saying I'd want things like J-rock/pop to be engishized but as far as something like anime goes it's all good for the most part.

That being said, I don't really keep track of like what dubs are definately better then subs, since I tend to only watch the dubs or only watch the subs of a show (unless it happens to something that has aired on Adult Swim or Sci-Fi like Code Geass, or Gurren Lagan) so in general I never get to compare the two to actually see which one I like better.
    Code Geass and Gurren Lagann have pretty mediocre dubs, in my opinion. Both lack the energy, the passion, the ESSENCE the original had.

Listen to Lelouch's famous command in both Japanese and English. Then listen to Giga Drill Breaker in Japanese and English. I don't know about you, but I felt awe in front of Lelouch Lamperouge and wanted to scream Giga Drill Breaker while listening to the Japanese.

[[

Senior Member Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2010 10:15 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by AznOtaku View Post
    Code Geass and Gurren Lagann have pretty mediocre dubs, in my opinion. Both lack the energy, the passion, the ESSENCE the original had.

Listen to Lelouch's famous command in both Japanese and English. Then listen to Giga Drill Breaker in Japanese and English. I don't know about you, but I felt awe in front of Lelouch Lamperouge and wanted to scream Giga Drill Breaker while listening to the Japanese.
    It's definitely a YMMV issue. I thought both dubs were great. Generally, if the dub is good enough, I don't bother giving the sub a re-watch (I'll watch it once though). I prefer watching anime fully, not seeing the animation in my periphial vision half of the time. But you definitely have different taste in acting than me, since you didn't even like the Bebop dub (which even Watanabe himself preferred over the sub).
    My name is Kakashi Hatake. What I like....I don't feel like telling you that. My dreams for the future...hmm, never really thought about that. As for my hobbies...well, I have many hobbies.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Doom85 View Post
    It's definitely a YMMV issue. I thought both dubs were great. Generally, if the dub is good enough, I don't bother giving the sub a re-watch (I'll watch it once though). I prefer watching anime fully, not seeing the animation in my periphial vision half of the time. But you definitely have different taste in acting than me, since you didn't even like the Bebop dub (which even Watanabe himself preferred over the sub).
    I liked the Cowboy Bebop dub. I said it was overrated, since it was used in almost every argument, but I can understand why. I'd put it in the top 10, though, and class it better than the Japanese.

In any case, I did not feel Johnny Bosch matched up the power, the emotion, the confidence of the original voice. When the momentous time came when Lelouch shouted, "Obey me, world!" I didn't feel it in the English dub. My problems with the English dub was that it simply didn't capture the essence of Lelouch. The voice was too high, too childish. In the Japanese voice, he sounded powerful, confident that he could win, he voice was projected into my mind so clearly I had no doubt that this teenager would succeed in his endeavors. It had the best tone and sonority, something the English dub couldn't match.

As for Gurren Lagann, the English dub made it sound like a children's show. It ruined the complete epicness.

[[

Senior Member Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2010 10:15 PM
    Threads

Well, your criticism of Bosch's Lelouch really doesn't make sense to me. Aside from Eureka 7's Renton, ALL his roles I've heard he's delivered a powerful and confident voice (Ichigo Kurosaki, Rossiu, Itsuki Kouzimi though only the confident part here obviously, etc.). He's never sounded childish to me in any role, aside from Renton obviously, and whenever Ichigo is being an idiot.

As for Gurren Lagann, that's not much of a criticism. The characters ARE teens/kids before the time-skip (Yoko's only 14, believe it or not), and everyone sounds like an adult afterwards, except for Nia which obviously makes sense. Heck, in the final three episodes, you could practically feel the hot-bloodness coming from the dub cast (especially Kittan in 25).
    My name is Kakashi Hatake. What I like....I don't feel like telling you that. My dreams for the future...hmm, never really thought about that. As for my hobbies...well, I have many hobbies.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Doom85 View Post
    Well, your criticism of Bosch's Lelouch really doesn't make sense to me. Aside from Eureka 7's Renton, ALL his roles I've heard he's delivered a powerful and confident voice (Ichigo Kurosaki, Rossiu, Itsuki Kouzimi though only the confident part here obviously, etc.). He's never sounded childish to me in any role, aside from Renton obviously, and whenever Ichigo is being an idiot.

As for Gurren Lagann, that's not much of a criticism. The characters ARE teens/kids before the time-skip (Yoko's only 14, believe it or not), and everyone sounds like an adult afterwards, except for Nia which obviously makes sense. Heck, in the final three episodes, you could practically feel the hot-bloodness coming from the dub cast (especially Kittan in 25).
    Apparently my interpretation is different. I watched the sub first, so the feeling Lelouch gave me in Japanese was unmatched in the English. His voice was deeper, more sonorous in the Japanese, which I thought fit Lelouch's role perfectly, whereas Bosch's voice was higher and more childlike. It simply didn't sound right when he commanded people to die in English, but that's my preference.

I do realize that they're kids. But comparing the Japanese voices and the English ones, the majority of the series sounded like something that came out of Cartoon Network. It was too childish. It didn't sound epic until the last episode. That's most probably due to the reason that I didn't watch the entire second season, so I can only judge the first season.

[[

Junior Member animecholic is on a distinguished road animecholic's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-15-2009 10:13 AM
    Threads

well for me it changes with the type, if it's a romance i go with subbed but if it is something like code geass, witchblade, fate-stay night... you know animes that consist non-japanese terms/names etc. i will go with dubbed because a name's/term's original language use sounds better if you know what i mean.

boopaloop! TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer has a reputation beyond repute TheThunderBringer's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-08-2012 08:46 PM
    Threads

Subbed without a moments hesitation. Of the prodigious amounts of anime I've seen, there are only like...2 shows I prefer dub over sub.

Dubs for girl voices are what I hate the most, especially that cutesy little girl in every anime. When it's in Japanese, it's kawaii, in English...bleh.

Note why the dub for Azu Manga Daioh is TERRIBLE. Friggin' Osaka sounds like she has a Texan accent! It's nowhere NEAR like that in the sub!

Usually dub doesn't have as much emotion...with the exception of Yuske Yurameshi from Yu Yu Hakusho

In summary: I prefer sub 90% of the time
    Last edited by TheThunderBringer; 10-04-2009 at 02:47 PM.

"dude your user name is B.A! props! sounds like a stoner metal band *loves stoner metal*...i might steal it >.>"

-RaShayRitto

Closed Thread

Thread Information