AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Question about particle "Wo/o"

Junior Member Ah Nee May is on a distinguished road Ah Nee May's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-09-2009 04:09 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Question about particle "Wo/o"

I've seen translations in romaji(specifically of lyrics) use both. I've been told that theres no 'correct' one.

Can someone explain to me more specifically what that means? and if so, which one is correct?

The lyrics I'm referring to is in Clannad's After Story OP

"Kimi dake wo" ; "kimi dake o"

Second question:
    What is the difference between "kimi dake ga" and "kimi dake wo/o". I understand for the english's translation purposes they come out as "its only you" but what's the difference between them?

Third question:
    "Kimi dake to" is translated as only with you, correct?

Fourth question:
    When typing "wo or o" in a japanese input keyboard, which one produces the character that fits "kimi dake wo/o"

Fifth/wrap-up(hopefully last) question:
    I might be able to draw this from the other 3 question's answers but I guess its safer to put it here.
    Whats is the difference between "kimi dake wo/o" "kimi dake ga" "kimi dake to"(which i think is only with you)? If I were to make any sentence would they be able to be used interchangeably?(I'm suspecting -to most likely can't but not sure)

I am interested in the Japanese language but frankly dont have the time(in college) to learn more about it. My curiosity is a result of my anime-hobby. Sorry for any questions which may seem basic because that's the level I'm not even up to yet.
    Last edited by Ah Nee May; 09-09-2009 at 01:28 AM.

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

1) When spoken, wo is pronounced as o. That's the source of a lot of Jap to Eng spelling discrepancies, but both are correct.

2) I may be wrong, but as I understand it ga is used with certain verbs instead of wo. But it's honestly been 3 years since I took a Jap class and I can't give you a definite answer here.

3) Yes, to is translated as with.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Is A Girl ;)
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-14-2014 10:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

4) you type in "wo"

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

を (that's the particle you're talking about) is a sentence particle that signifies an active verb, when spoken is pronounced 'o'. 'wo' is its archaic form. In song diction however, it is pronounced 'wo' because it is softer to pronounce in songs. Hence, transliterations often type 'wo' because it is how the particle is sung. In normal spoken Japanese though, it is almost always pronounced 'o'.

My transliteration convention puts the particle down as 'wo', except when the singer (is forced upon or normally) pronounces it as a clear 'o'.

2) 'ga' is the subject marker. Indeed, both can be in one sentence.
    kimi dake ga watashi wo aishite iru.
    You are the only person who is loving me.

3) In most cases 'to' means 'with'. as in
    watashi wa anata to hanashite iru.
    I am talking with you.

5) I think from the 3 pointers above you can deduce that
    wo is verb marker;
    ga is subject marker;
    to is 2nd person marker.
    'kimi dake wo' depends on what verb follows it (or the one before, in the case of inverted sentence order) and who the subject is (the noun before a wa or ga).
    'kimi dake ga' implies the person is the only one doing (insert verb).
    'kimi dake to' means subject (noun before wa or ga) is doing (insert verb) with only that person.

...so that you know where you can find me

Senior Member Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán has a reputation beyond repute Capitán's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts 025 - Pikachu Ceiling Cat Albatross
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-19-2014 02:52 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AzureDark View Post
    を (that's the particle you're talking about) is a sentence particle that signifies an active verb, when spoken is pronounced 'o'. 'wo' is its archaic form. In song diction however, it is pronounced 'wo' because it is softer to pronounce in songs. Hence, transliterations often type 'wo' because it is how the particle is sung. In normal spoken Japanese though, it is almost always pronounced 'o'.

My transliteration convention puts the particle down as 'wo', except when the singer (is forced upon or normally) pronounces it as a clear 'o'.

2) 'ga' is the subject marker. Indeed, both can be in one sentence.
    kimi dake ga watashi wo aishite iru.
    You are the only person who is loving me.

3) In most cases 'to' means 'with'. as in
    watashi wa anata to hanashite iru.
    I am talking with you.

5) I think from the 3 pointers above you can deduce that
    wo is verb marker;
    ga is subject marker;
    to is 2nd person marker.
    'kimi dake wo' depends on what verb follows it (or the one before, in the case of inverted sentence order) and who the subject is (the noun before a wa or ga).
    'kimi dake ga' implies the person is the only one doing (insert verb).
    'kimi dake to' means subject (noun before wa or ga) is doing (insert verb) with only that person.
    ^^ This person got it. I read your stuff and thought "wow its complicated" then after 5 seconds of thinking about placements.... its not hard at all.

Junior Member Ah Nee May is on a distinguished road Ah Nee May's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-09-2009 04:09 PM
    Threads

thanks for all the replies, helped me a lot. one more thing i understand

Closed Thread

Thread Information