AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: You’ve Got Blackmail: The AOL Account That Wouldn’t Die

Cirque Du Soliel Ciel Soleil has a reputation beyond repute Ciel Soleil has a reputation beyond repute Ciel Soleil has a reputation beyond repute Ciel Soleil has a reputation beyond repute Ciel Soleil has a reputation beyond repute Ciel Soleil has a reputation beyond repute Ciel Soleil has a reputation beyond repute Ciel Soleil has a reputation beyond repute Ciel Soleil has a reputation beyond repute Ciel Soleil has a reputation beyond repute Ciel Soleil has a reputation beyond repute Ciel Soleil's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-10-2009 10:08 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default You’ve Got Blackmail: The AOL Account That Wouldn’t Die

You’ve Got Blackmail: The AOL Account That Wouldn’t Die

By WSJ Staff

Jason Zweig writes the Intelligent Investor column that runs in Saturday’s Journal. Today, he takes on customer service.
    Back in 2000, I worked at a magazine published by Time Inc., a division of Time Warner. When Time Warner merged with AOL, all employees got a petite perk: a free AOL email account. I gave mine to my wife, who used it until last year, when she finally upgraded to Gmail and I left Time Inc. to join The Wall Street Journal.
    About a month ago, we started getting bizarre phone calls from a collections agency in India. They called five times, “concerning unpaid charges of $103.60.”
    When I asked what I was being charged for, I was told it was four months’ worth of something called “upgraded service” for AOL in late 2008.
    brainblips.com
    When did Franz Kafka take charge of AOL’s customer-service department?

I pointed out that we had never requested or agreed to any upgrade, nor used any AOL service other than email.
    Caller No. 4 informed me that the upgrade was “automatic.”
    I replied that we had never received a notice that it was going into effect. We had never gotten a bill, either.
    “A bill was sent to your AOL account,” said Caller No. 4.
    Would that be the AOL account that we hadn’t used in almost a year?
    “Well, it was sent to you,” she insisted.
    Please send a printed bill to my home address so I can formally dispute it, I requested.
    “I am sorry, sir, but we cannot do that.”
    Why not?
    “We are not authorized.”
    At this point, I decided to call AOL myself. After spending 10 minutes on hold, I reached a human being. She asked for the answer to the security question on the account–which we had set up nine years ago and neither my wife nor I remembered anymore. That was a dead end, so I asked her to send a printed bill to my home address. But she wasn’t authorized, either.
    By the time Caller No. 5 rolled around, I was out of patience.
    How can you charge me for something I didn’t order and certainly didn’t want, about which I was never informed, and for which I have received no bill of any kind?
    Replied Caller No. 5: “You did agree to it, sir. You agreed to it when you opened the account.”
    Really? I said incredulously. Can you file that?
    “Yes, of course, sir,” he answered. I could almost hear his nose growing as he hesitated. “It was on … it was on … page C of your original account agreement.”
    As if this weren’t preposterous enough, Caller No. 5 then offered me free AOL access “for the rest of your life” if I would just pay the $103.60.
    If it was a free benefit when I was an employee and it’s now free forever to anyone who wants it, I asked, then why exactly do I owe $103.60?
    “For the upgrade you requested, sir.”
    I didn’t request any upgrade.
    “Yes, you did, sir, on page D.”
    Wasn’t that page C a minute ago?
    “Yes, sir, quite right, page C.”
    At that point, I finally lost my temper. “Leave us alone!” I snapped.
    Caller No. 5 promptly offered to “settle” for $85.
    When I categorically refused to pay a penny of these fictitious charges, he warned that his collection agency would report my uncollected “bill” to the credit bureaus. (I suppose this might be announced with the message, “You’ve got blackmail.”)
    I told him to go ahead. By the time his report arrives, I will have filed a fraud alert with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
    I’m not the only former TimeWarner employee who’s gotten these phone calls from Kafka. It’s possible members of the general public have too. My advice: If AOL comes after you, then go after AOL.
    -----------------------------------------

After changing to a different ISP, A previous Time Warner Employee, now a writer for the Wall Street Journal, was harrass multiple times for unwarranted charges from AOL without a proper notifical to why.

The writer of this WSJ blog became fed up withthis and wrote about this blackmail.

Discuss!
    Last edited by Ciel Soleil; 07-05-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Gah. Mmmmmmmmmm has a reputation beyond repute Mmmmmmmmmm has a reputation beyond repute Mmmmmmmmmm has a reputation beyond repute Mmmmmmmmmm has a reputation beyond repute Mmmmmmmmmm has a reputation beyond repute Mmmmmmmmmm has a reputation beyond repute Mmmmmmmmmm has a reputation beyond repute Mmmmmmmmmm has a reputation beyond repute Mmmmmmmmmm has a reputation beyond repute Mmmmmmmmmm has a reputation beyond repute Mmmmmmmmmm has a reputation beyond repute Mmmmmmmmmm's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2009 03:26 PM
    Threads

1 - TL; DR.

2 - What's there to discuss?

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daris View Post
    1 - TL; DR.

2 - What's there to discuss?
    ^This.
    How is this news? Leave the news to SGI like it's always been. Everyone's news articles suck.

Senior Member Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight has a reputation beyond repute Miss Moonlight's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

You have to make sure that the articles you post have at least some discussion value.
    月の光は愛のメッセージ

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Yeah, AOL are jerks.

^That's as close to a discussion as anyone could possibly come in regards to this topic.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

STN-J Witch Hunter Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena has a reputation beyond repute Robin Sena's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-26-2016 11:55 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Blackmail is against the law.
    320 years have passed since the coven sank into the dark

I may have been born in The United States, but running through my veins is 70,000% UK blood.

Here's something from my blog:
    http://www.animeforum.com/blog.php?1...y-Special-Blog

Closed Thread

Thread Information