AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Activision: We're whiny little babies

This is my AWESOME face! Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2009 06:54 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Activision: We're whiny little babies

If you've been following up on developer Double Fine Productions since they released Psychonauts (all zero of you), you know they've been making a heavy metal-based action game called Brutal Legend, with Activision set to publish it. However, Activision eventually decided that they didn't want it and dropped the game, leaving Double Fine to look to other publishers and signing on with EA.

Now, Activision apparently saw the interest Brutal Legend got during E3, thought "Oops, we screwed up", and are now suing because of it. Not EA though, they're suing Double Fine, claiming that they still have a valid contract to publish the game.

Suing to get back a game...they never actually wanted...right, hopefully it goes no further than this, because I can imagine a lot of people will be miffed if Activision somehow prevent this from being released.
    The Tao of Rayne - Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience...if that fails, try something in the dairy variety.

SES Member Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-19-2010 04:38 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 3815-8940-4087-6200

I don't think they have a legitimate reason to sue them from what youve said but I think there could be more to it than that, I just hope the game does get realesed im looking forward to playing it especially because Jack Black is in it.

This is my AWESOME face! Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife has a reputation beyond repute Storm Strife's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuzaki HD View Post
    I don't think they have a legitimate reason to sue them from what youve said but I think there could be more to it than that, I just hope the game does get realesed im looking forward to playing it especially because Jack Black is in it.
    Well, the full reason appears to be the following;

Activision are claiming they still have a valid contract to publish the game. They had invested $15 million in funding for the game, but Double Fine missed a crucial deadline last year and then asked for another year and $7 million to finish the game. After that, negotiations fell through and Double Fine is presumed to have turned tail and fled, signing up with EA. Activision, however says that they never relinquished their rights, and and Double Fine wronged them when they transferred the publishing rights to Electronic Arts.

I doubt we're going to be able to see the whole story, so we can only watch and wait.
    The Tao of Rayne - Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience...if that fails, try something in the dairy variety.

SES Member Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

In that case i don't think its too unreasonable for activision to want too sue they should at least get the money back.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The more I read into this, the more confused I get. Apparently, after looking over the games Vivendi had when they merged with Activision, Activision chose to pick up Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Ice Age, Prototype and an unannounced game, leaving a load of other games in limbo. This was back in August.

Then in December, EA picks up the title, leading us to now. At the same time though, Activision has collected monetary compensation from Atari for publishing both Ghostbusters and the latest Riddick game. Which they also dropped. In fact the full list of games dropped are / were Ghostbuster, Brutal Legend, Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, Wet, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, World at Conflict: Soviet Assault, Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust, Zombie Wranglers, and a bunch of Live Arcade titles.

So, honestly? I have no clue what the hell is going on. But I still have my thoughts that this could be fuelled by money and the fact that're going to lose out on it.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

I think they had to drop games because of money issues after the merger with Blizzard but other than that I don't have a clue whats going on.

Senior Member Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-08-2010 02:58 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: i have 1 but idk it

I saw this, and I can say Im hearing more crap about Activision everyday. Im really getting sick of them, they even admitted they wouldn't publish a game if it didn't have potential to be milked yearly. Theyre getting far worse than EA ever was, just think of all the GH games this year.

A lot of people are starting to boycott them at some major game sites. Theyre either not buying there games at all or getting them used.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Most major game developers milk games yearly Ubisoft have been at it for years with Tom Clancy games (although it died down a bit now) Harmonix are milking Rock band, Infinity Ward are milking Cod, Microsoft with Halo, Square Enix with FF and sony with every single game they have so im still going to buy Activision games as far as I know they are having money problems so its only natural they will want to exploit the Guitar Hero franchise.

Senior Member Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster has a reputation beyond repute Light Buster's Avatar
    Gil
    Fine
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 American Flag Ribbon AK47
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Light Buster PSN ID: Lightbuster88

I really don't see why they have to sue Double Fine. They already got Call of Duty on their side so that should be enough.
    WARNING: This user is wanted for unauthorized access into Ultratech archives. If you see this user in person, please contact Ultratech immediately.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I'm betting on EA because they have more money, ergo better lawyers.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

SOS Fox McCloud Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09 has a reputation beyond repute Dark Wolf 09's Avatar
    Gil
    Amazed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-08-2010 03:36 PM
    Threads

Its just like milking a cow, when a farmer milks a cow, and patents that product, would you drink that same product? What are the chances of you buying that same product because it became so famous through sales in the markets.

But the farmer wants more help to make more sales so they add more and more publications (third party), this is exactly what the farmer wants, because they want to be famous and wants more sales and money to make a better brand of milk, or cheese.

See reason why they want to have more money is because Activision wants more titles, and bigger hits because of the reproduction charges, and also because were going through tough economy, I don't think its an ideal choice for them to sue EA, 'cause EA has bigger and better sales, and hits.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    I'm betting on EA because they have more money, ergo better lawyers.
    Ah, but is it possible for EA to sue Activision for attempting to suing Double Fine?

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Strife View Post
    Ah, but is it possible for EA to sue Activision for attempting to suing Double Fine?
    EA would almost certainly be paying for Double Fine's defense. They might find a way, but I'm betting they settle out of court, which is usually how it happens.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Closed Thread

Thread Information