AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Gaming as an Olympic Sport

boopaloop! IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-12-2012 02:03 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    I live in South Africa, Kempton Park, Birchliegh
    Threads

Default Gaming as an Olympic Sport

Do you think that Computer Gaming should become an Olympic sport? I know there was some talk about it for the previous Olympic Games , but the majority of the participating nations voted against it, I just want to hear your opinions. Personally I don't think it would be fun to watch but even the people that aren't good at sports need to have a chance to participate in something they are good at on a grand stage infront of millions.
    Last edited by IFS; 05-15-2009 at 05:14 AM.

Millionaire Campaign:
    Making millionaires out of everyone

This was unknowingly
    brought to you
    by .Elmer
    and knowingly
    sponsored by Baka Baka!!!

avi made by my sweet cousin .Elmer

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Saying computer games should be an Olympic sport is a little like saying "board games" should be an Olympic sport. The question is which game; FPSs, strategy war games, or something like Tetris? On top of that, player populations rise and fall constantly as new games come and go, so even if you took the most popular game at the time, you'd probably have to replace it with something else in a few years. In that sense, I don't see how it could be something a person could devote a lifetime of training to.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

boopaloop! IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS has a reputation beyond repute IFS's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-12-2012 02:03 PM
    I live in South Africa, Kempton Park, Birchliegh
    Threads

well, I'd say mainly fps and strategy games, things you can play competative against eachother, different nations can play strategy games against eachother like C&C or Warcraft or Starcraft, the nations participating in this can then determine who's got the most logical mind, the concept of a strategy game and real life war is the same, each has their own batallion and a limited amount of resources and the point is to defeat the other army(I'm not saying its exactly the same, skill of the soldiers and amount of military power need to be taken in consideration), this can also be used to recruit strategist to increase military power. But thinking about it the Olympic games might be to much but gamers need more credit, some train just as hard as all the other people who participate in the Olympic Games but people see it only as a recreational pass-time.
    Last edited by IFS; 05-15-2009 at 06:41 AM.

Millionaire Campaign:
    Making millionaires out of everyone

This was unknowingly
    brought to you
    by .Elmer
    and knowingly
    sponsored by Baka Baka!!!

avi made by my sweet cousin .Elmer

The Man With No Signature The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-12-2010 10:09 AM
    Threads

Uh, circles don't fit where squares should be.

Sports and gaming are two different things, two different fields. Just because gamers need a grand stage where they could showcase their skills doesn't mean that stage should be the Olympics. Athletes or let's say "Olympians" undergoes rigorous physical and mental training, and it applies to discipline as well. How the hell would you do training in gaming? Play and stay in front of a monitor for hours? Do finger exercises to increase button-mashing capabilities? Gimme a break.

Why do beauty pageants, dog shows, cooking, spelling, and board games aren't considered olympic sports?

Because circles don't fit where squares should be.

Senior Member Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Evil's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Gifts Black Guitar
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-24-2014 08:32 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: OG_APPLEJACKS

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Crane View Post
    Uh, circles don't fit where squares should be.

Sports and gaming are two different things, two different fields. Just because gamers need a grand stage where they could showcase their skills doesn't mean that stage should be the Olympics. Athletes or let's say "Olympians" undergoes rigorous physical and mental training, and it applies to discipline as well. How the hell would you do training in gaming? Play and stay in front of a monitor for hours? Do finger exercises to increase button-mashing capabilities? Gimme a break.

Why do beauty pageants, dog shows, cooking, spelling, and board games aren't considered olympic sports?

Because circles don't fit where squares should be.
    Well put. However, on the off chance that gaming should become an olympic sport, the Nintendo Wii/Wii Sports would probably be the most like system to be used being that its the only "physical" thing in gaming unless you count DDR but that's not gonna cut it.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Seeing as video games are not an athletic competition, no, I do not think it should be a part of the Olympic Games.

To quote from Eris on a previous topic similar to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eris
    No, gamers are not athletes, that's mainly wishful thinking from pasty 25 year old virgins, living in their mothers' basement.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

The Man With No Signature The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane has a reputation beyond repute The Grey Crane's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-12-2010 10:09 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Storm View Post
    Well put. However, on the off chance that gaming should become an olympic sport, the Nintendo Wii/Wii Sports would probably be the most like system to be used being that its the only "physical" thing in gaming unless you count DDR but that's not gonna cut it.
    Okay on the off chance of things... Still, I don't think so.

There's no place for Wii Sports in the olympics because tennis and boxing are played at the olympic games. You don't really see baseball, golf, and bowling being contested at the olympics, but then again they are recognized by the olympic committee. This means they could be a part of the olympic games sooner or later.

Would the committee choose emulation over the originals? No, that's not gonna happen. Not unless Satoru iwata gets included in the olympic committee.

Senior Member Scarred DNA has a reputation beyond repute Scarred DNA has a reputation beyond repute Scarred DNA has a reputation beyond repute Scarred DNA has a reputation beyond repute Scarred DNA has a reputation beyond repute Scarred DNA has a reputation beyond repute Scarred DNA has a reputation beyond repute Scarred DNA has a reputation beyond repute Scarred DNA has a reputation beyond repute Scarred DNA has a reputation beyond repute Scarred DNA has a reputation beyond repute Scarred DNA's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2009 03:55 PM
    Threads

The Olympic Games originally consisted of both physical and non-physical disciplines.

They need to separate the games into 2 categories - Mental/Mind sports and Physical sports.

And if they are going to recognize Chess (though it isn't played), then all other cognitive disciplines need to be recognized.

Ignoring sports of the mind in favor of physical sports makes no sense to me. Yes, the sheer size of the celebration/competition is becoming overwhelming, but at least try to work something out like a category split.
    Even his enemies have him as their emergency contact.
    He's a lover, not a fighter.
    But, he is also a fighter, so don't get any ideas

Senior Member rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch's Avatar
    Gil
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2014 05:35 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lots of bits PSN ID: rf_switch Steam ID: lotsofbits

I don't think it should. I would prefer that the Olympics would just be full of sports where you need physical ability. And sports where they aren't judged (hello ice skating).

Also....Even if I know how to play a game. I don't like watching people play. When I was in Korea I saw some of those StarCraft compititions on TV. It bored me.

It's also too early to tell if one game will ever become timeless enough that in 40 years people will still be playing it competitively. StarCraft is 10+ years old now. But we'll see if that holds up as a major form of competitive gaming once StarCraft 2 comes out and is out for a while.

I'd almost rather see a "World Cup" of gaming. Besides. If you think about it. The FIFA World Cup is waaaayyyy more popular than Olympic Football/Soccer
    Last edited by rf switch; 05-15-2009 at 04:34 PM.

AF's resident Crazy Cat Lady Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf's Avatar
    Starving
    Gifts Mario Bowser Shell Mario Bob-omb Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2014 12:38 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CaptainEllipsis Steam ID: CaptainEllipsis Wii Code: 2388 1485 3012 2739

I say no. Even though it would be enjoyable, video games =/= Sports. Gamers aren't usually very athletic anyway.

Old and Cranky Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-17-2009 11:44 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEllipsis View Post
    I say no. Even though it would be enjoyable, video games =/= Sports. Gamers aren't usually very athletic anyway.
    What are you talking about? If you win you run around like crazy out of excitement as well as jump up and down. hahahahahahahahaha.

I'm kidding.

Wedding is in October. And I'm going to be a dad. Super excited.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gjallarhorn View Post
    Seeing as video games are not an athletic competition, no, I do not think it should be a part of the Olympic Games.
    On the otherhand, Curling is an Olympic Sport. The bar is sufficently low that Gaming objectively should qualify. However, subjectively I think that Curling shouldn't be an Olympic Sport and neither should gaming.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

SES Member Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD has a reputation beyond repute Ryuuzaki HD's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-19-2010 04:38 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 3815-8940-4087-6200

they could play mario and sonic at the Olympic games that takes alot of energy and dead or alive 4 that takes a hell of alot of skill but we all know it will never happen. can you actually see people buying tickets or even bothering to watch on tv a couple of guys playing games?

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't see how a guy that benchpresses 600 lbs. be in the same tournament as a guy that spends 50 hours a week playing Halo. It just wouldn't be fair.

Closed Thread

Thread Information