AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: why so much hate?

Senior Member mississippibaby has a reputation beyond repute mississippibaby has a reputation beyond repute mississippibaby has a reputation beyond repute mississippibaby has a reputation beyond repute mississippibaby has a reputation beyond repute mississippibaby has a reputation beyond repute mississippibaby has a reputation beyond repute mississippibaby has a reputation beyond repute mississippibaby has a reputation beyond repute mississippibaby has a reputation beyond repute mississippibaby has a reputation beyond repute mississippibaby's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-15-2009 04:00 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default why so much hate?

In sociology class last week we had a discusion on why so many countries seem to dislike america. During this discusion I heard two good theories one was that america is too involved in other countries business and are viewed as arrogant and overly self-rightous and in some cases they are trying to change the way other countries are ran. Another person in my class stated that maybe other countries that are religious based see america as a land of evil because we do alot of things that goes against their religion and they dont want our 'corruption' to spread over to them. These are all just theories that were brought up in class that I found interresting But I want to know whay you think so many other people or countries seem to dislike america?

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

If by corruption, they mean taking them out of their third world country status, then yeah we are spreading our evil. Most countries that the U.S. "helps" are struggling countries.

I just think America is the cool kid sitting at the table who wants to flip the uncool kids' plate onto his face then try to wipe the food off his face when he's done and laugh.

Senior Member Taikutsu_Remedy has a reputation beyond repute Taikutsu_Remedy has a reputation beyond repute Taikutsu_Remedy has a reputation beyond repute Taikutsu_Remedy has a reputation beyond repute Taikutsu_Remedy has a reputation beyond repute Taikutsu_Remedy has a reputation beyond repute Taikutsu_Remedy has a reputation beyond repute Taikutsu_Remedy has a reputation beyond repute Taikutsu_Remedy has a reputation beyond repute Taikutsu_Remedy has a reputation beyond repute Taikutsu_Remedy has a reputation beyond repute Taikutsu_Remedy's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-12-2009 09:38 PM
    Threads

Generally, I'm too busy hating things that are more immediate in my life to be bothered with hating America.

This of course changes completely whenever America has it's general elections.

Y'know, being the world's only superpower, where whoever get's elected president would hold an immense amount of global influence; voting Americans essential hold the future of the world in their hands.

So it'd be nice if our collective futures were decided on slightly smarter reasons then, "Change!" and "Obama's an evil Muslim terrorist!"
    === TaikutsuRemedy.blogspot.com Click on it...AND READ IT! ===

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The dislike against America in other western countries is to a large extent the result of the catastrophic diplomatic failures of the previous administration. The Bush administration lived by the ideal of cowboy diplomacy, ignoring the UN, and strong-arming other countries into supporting them.

While that might get other countries' governments to support you, it will create huge resentment amongst their populations, since you're basically hijacking the government they elected.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

What-ho! SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-15-2009 05:11 AM
    Threads

Hating America? Well, my country wouldn't know anything about that. If America was the jock of the world, England would be the weedy suck up behind him cheering him on.

A priori Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Hotflash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-09-2010 11:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I also want to point out that you have assumed that there are at least several whole countries that hate America. I don't mean to imply that there are not any countries that hate America either. I just mean to say that it is possible that the countries you do think hate America only hate them as a result of a small faction of people (i.e. the government), or a group of citizens who hold prominence over the media's attention.
    A man chooses.
    A slave obeys.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SSDynamite View Post
    Hating America? Well, my country wouldn't know anything about that. If America was the jock of the world, England would be the weedy suck up behind him cheering him on.
    Either that or the older brother that doesn't get as many girls.

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Hate? Well, the middle eastern nations that hate us do so because we support their mortal enemy [Israel], and because we meddle in their affairs. See Iran 1979 for an example.

Europeans? I don't think many Europeans really hate us. I think they may hate that our government can be very different from theirs in its approach, and that we rock the boat.

We are often caught playing the policeman of the world. We tend to do it when our own interests are at stake - explains involvement in Iraq while we ignore Sudan, because there's nothing of value there.

Clinton was a lecher, Bush was a cowboy, Obama is an idiot. I doubt Obama will be re-elected. He has three and a half more years to prove me wrong, but I think by then his base of support will be eroded and insignificant.

As for ignoring the UN, that could be a cause for some, but they must have forgotten the meaning of sovereignty. The United States is not bound to the wishes of the UN. It is a sovereign actor on the world stage, and may cooperate when it chooses. We do not need a UN blessing to engage in war, and neither does any other nation on earth. I think European countries forget that they have that right. OR does membership in the EU erase any sense of national identity and independence they might have had? I've always believed that surrendering certain aspects of power, no matter now small, takes away part of what it means to be from [country X], so that the people accept being European before they acknowledge that they are also English, Irish, etc. Of course, I'm American, so I could have that entirely wrong.
    Last edited by Cobra Commander; 05-10-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Jeezy Creezy kero_-_chan has a reputation beyond repute kero_-_chan has a reputation beyond repute kero_-_chan has a reputation beyond repute kero_-_chan has a reputation beyond repute kero_-_chan has a reputation beyond repute kero_-_chan has a reputation beyond repute kero_-_chan has a reputation beyond repute kero_-_chan has a reputation beyond repute kero_-_chan has a reputation beyond repute kero_-_chan has a reputation beyond repute kero_-_chan has a reputation beyond repute kero_-_chan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-07-2009 08:41 PM
    Threads

arrogance, its the general consensus from everyone i know, america is no.1 and they do thing like throw pride parades to make sure they and everyone else knows it. no one likes it when another person says they are better then you whilst ignoring their flaws, and the same applies to the larger scale, countries dont like one country saying they are the best, when clearly they arent in everything other then military.

set made by someone very dear to me, who i doubt you know.

boopaloop! None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above's Avatar
    Gil
    Stressed
    Gifts Xmas Tree Lamborghini Grapes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-01-2011 03:21 AM
    Threads

Sociology...
    Isn't sociology supposed to study the social structures, and the relationship between individuals and that structure?

What has the USA to do with that?

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkatex View Post
    Sociology...
    Isn't sociology supposed to study the social structures, and the relationship between individuals and that structure?

Sociology is the study of societies.

USA is a society in and of itself and a member of a global society of countries.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Manhattan_Project_2000; 05-10-2009 at 01:00 PM.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

The Poet Sword Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke has a reputation beyond repute Tetsanosuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2019 05:06 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkatex View Post
    Sociology...

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    Sociology is the study of societies.

USA is a society.

Discuss.
    /common sense
    /tingle

As for my take, those theories do seem ultimately shiny in this case, but Eris does make a lot of sense. Hell, I didn't like Bush, and I barely get into politics. @_@

Perhaps the world was never meant to make perfect sense.

Monster hunter Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-09-2009 08:10 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by revile View Post
    Europeans? I don't think many Europeans really hate us. I think they may hate that our government can be very different from theirs in its approach, and that we rock the boat.
    Over in Europe, us Canadians are often identified as American and we sometimes have to correct them so they treat us more kindly. Not exactly hate, but there's something there.

Most of the anti-American sentiments I've come across is along the lines Americans being both ignorant and arrogant, in an America = the world, "other countries exist?" sorta way.
    Last edited by Kojack; 05-10-2009 at 01:55 PM.

boopaloop! None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above's Avatar
    Gil
    Stressed
    Gifts Xmas Tree Lamborghini Grapes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-01-2011 03:21 AM
    Threads

First, common sense is not so common.
    Second, sociology is based on the development of theories on a macro or micro-level given the empirical data.
    I find it really superficial to come out with statements such as 'THEY HATE THE USA. They think we're evil.' There is a mainstream of approval of the US policy decisions and one of disapproval. Whether it is a collective feeling of the majority or not would depend on many factors. Wherever a large trend can be constated, there is a large chance of manipulation by the media or different actors according to their interests.

As I see it sociology is concerned with the own structure of society, with its internal rules (as side remark: which are nowadays largely externalising through the global economy).
    Internal rules such as how the social , the economical and cultural capital are influencing one another (Bourdieu); how the group is building up a particular dynamic mostly independent of Institutions (Durkheim); as how religion greatly influences the pattern of action (Weber).
    Thus, an approach such as how populistic aversions towards other states are created is necessary first, in order to mix the different subdisciplines for a complex and revealing study /answer on the OP's problem.
    Last edited by None of the above; 05-10-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Forever 12. Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-01-2013 07:01 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't think we're as hated as we are looked down upon in disappointment. Being one of the fattest countries with a failing education system who elected a moronic president into office twice.
    On this day of days, most epic and prideful, you were born 15 whole American years ago!
    Through the odds and by doing the impossible, you beat out hundreds of thousands of siblings in the great sperm race for the coveted egg.
    Probably via hax.
    Regardless! You won!
    So remember, whenever someone picks on you or calls you weak or small.
    Just remind them that you beat out a few hundred thousand other wimps.

And the grand prize was not dying!

Cowboy Psychologist Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2013 12:07 AM
    Threads

Hard to disagree with revile (even though he's a Texan, he's alright in my book). Still, for the reasons brought up by Hawkatex, I hope that this was a guided discussion, and that there were points to be made by the instructor throughout. Both psychology and sociology suffered miserably when their primary modes of thought were exactly such discussions, which offer nothing empirical to examine and accept as fact or denounce as falsehood.

Bad Memory

Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I think it's arrogant to hate an entire country. If you say you "Hate America" you're saying you hate all 300,000,000 citizens in it essentially. And how can you? Do you even know all those people? You don't. You can hate what the leaders and government of a country do, because they basically do all the stuff, but you can't really hate an entire country.

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

Junior Member Interstellar Girl has a reputation beyond repute Interstellar Girl has a reputation beyond repute Interstellar Girl has a reputation beyond repute Interstellar Girl has a reputation beyond repute Interstellar Girl has a reputation beyond repute Interstellar Girl has a reputation beyond repute Interstellar Girl has a reputation beyond repute Interstellar Girl has a reputation beyond repute Interstellar Girl has a reputation beyond repute Interstellar Girl has a reputation beyond repute Interstellar Girl has a reputation beyond repute Interstellar Girl's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-30-2009 03:19 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Cross Marian View Post
    I think it's arrogant to hate an entire country. If you say you "Hate America" you're saying you hate all 300,000,000 citizens in it essentially. And how can you? Do you even know all those people? You don't. You can hate what the leaders and government of a country do, because they basically do all the stuff, but you can't really hate an entire country.
    Couldnt have said it better myself. It just goes to show the state our world is in. If everyone would just step outside of their own selfish thoughts for just 2 seconds, and put themselves in someone else's shoes, we could gain a better understanding of one another and learn to live in harmony. The world does not need to be exactly the same for that, everyone has the right to be different. I dont understand hate at all, Its a useless emotion that causes nothing but trouble. While we are all hating each other we could be coming up with a compromise. The world is big enough for us all, why cant we just live in peace?

A priori Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas has a reputation beyond repute Petrol Gas's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Hotflash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-09-2010 11:47 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar Girl View Post
    Couldnt have said it better myself. It just goes to show the state our world is in. If everyone would just step outside of their own selfish thoughts for just 2 seconds, and put themselves in someone else's shoes, we could gain a better understanding of one another and learn to live in harmony. The world does not need to be exactly the same for that, everyone has the right to be different. I dont understand hate at all, Its a useless emotion that causes nothing but trouble. While we are all hating each other we could be coming up with a compromise. The world is big enough for us all, why cant we just live in peace?
    Because hate is easy, and ignorance is a safe haven for anyone who doesn't want to share other people's viewpoints about what peace is. On top of that, you have all of the people who think that violence, even just some violence, is okay.
    A man chooses.
    A slave obeys.

~ Aura ~ Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-10-2010 02:48 PM
    Threads

I think it is because of America's arrogance. America can never keep its nose out of other countries businesses. This become much more of an issue when Bush took presidency. The fact that the man never once admitted he made mistakes even though MOST of the nation could point out many mistakes he made. Many Americans have the attitude that the United States is the best country in the world. There is no BEST country. That is ludicrous. Many people here think that if you give any sort of constructive criticism on the United States that you're not being patriotic. There is a HUGE difference between being patriotic and being a nationalist. You can support your country yet still point out flaws it has. Going around thinking your country is the best and that it can never make mistakes is nationalism, and it is extremely ignorant.
    ~ Aura ~

"If you are near to the dark
    I will tell you 'bout the sun
    You are here, no escape
    From my visions of the world
    You will cry all alone
    But it does not mean a thing to me ..."

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I think the US is indeed the greatest nation on earth. Why? Because I live here, of course. That doesn't mean we're better than everyone else. Every nation has something to offer.

We have more freedom [or we'd like to think we do] than virtually anyone else, though the degrees of freedom are debatable. Many of our values are shared by our friends across the world. We have a great many regional differences, and the cultures there have created great and unique arts, cuisine, etc. We welcome those who would come to our country to build a better life [legally] and we have come a long way from the racism and xenophobia early immigrants experienced. We still have a long way to go. I see Mexicans every day. Some of them anger me because they disrespect our laws. Many others make me proud to see them becoming citizens, waving our flag and raising their kids to be stand up members of society. The people who come to work hard and get their slice of the American Dream are always welcome.

We aren't always right, though we'd like to think we are, but what some of you call arrogance - a fair criticism - stems from blind patriotism. A lot of Americans believe they're wrong to criticize our country. Well, that's stupid. I love the US whether it is right or wrong, and I can only hope for the best. Either way, it's my home. A lot of what I saw under Bush angered me - he wasn't the first to walk all over the Constitution in the name of the greater good, and he won't be the last. Obama angers me just as much, as does the blind support for either of them does. These people move us farther away from what we were meant to be every day they've spent in office.

We have a lot of ignorant people here, and unfortunately there is no IQ test to get a passport, so I suspect the world doesn't see the cream of our crop when they interact with our tourists. An American with manners and respect for others wouldn't stand out so much in a crowd. I think you folks in Australia and Europe notice our retards more than the decent folks from here. I can't blame you, they certainly do stick out. Loud mouthed tourist proclaiming escargot to be disgusting in an upscale Quebec restaurant, this one's for you! People have so little respect for difference, it's sad.

Edited to add - I don't think Nationalism is ignorant, it's part of patriotism. Not seeing your nation's flaws is blindness. We're all nationalists, even if it's only a little bit. If we weren't the "greatest nation in the world" would we have had the will to win WWII? And seeing as how our crippled navy defeated Japan...isn't it fair to think it? What about the UK? Standing alone against the Axis for so long, in the face of such immeasurable destruction and death - are they not also the greatest nation on earth? It works for everyone, except France. See...Poland stood up to German armor with mounted cavalry. At least they stood up and fought. France...well...never mind. This post is all in good fun anyway.
    Last edited by Cobra Commander; 05-11-2009 at 02:56 AM.

Don Asterisco TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2019 06:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Parugin

Oh, boy. Yet again, far too simplistic answers have been put forward.

There are several things about Americans that are annoying to the rest of the world.
    The first, and most amusing, is our origin. We are the washouts, the rejects, the runaways and the failures of the world, or our descendants were, and yet we have risen to be arguably the single most influential state in the world. This tends to irk all the countries we left behind.
    Secondly, we do play COPs and robbers a lot. To be fair, though, were we to stop, power would likely fill the vacuum, as history seems to indicate. The most likely powers to replace us would be either Putin's Playhouse (formerly Russia, formerly the Soviet Union) or China. Are the alternatives better? Come back to me when you've got an answer.
    Thirdly, our support for Israel does not produce the Middle East's hatred for the US, it just makes it a little stronger and more immediate.
    Fourthly, we have a big enough, pleasing enough land that we can get away with speaking only one language, maybe two at most. In much of the rest of the world, you can travel a few hours and need to speak several languages to survive. We have it easy, and many resent us for it.
    Fifthly, we're very proud. Why shouldn't we be, though? Given our origins, the fact that we've done as we have is akin to a toddler building a functioning fusion reactor. Maintaining it, though, is another matter...
    Sixthly, the Cold War made a lot of industrialized countries worry we and the Soviets would nuke them anytime, while all the proxy wars made the third world just a tad angry. Since there's no more USSR, we get the brunt of all that leftover anger, never mind thought or analysis of that era.
    Seventh...ly, we're comparatively simple in our social etiquette. We're generally much more blunt, often offensively so, and while it's normal here and no one cares, the rest of the world cringes at our mannerisms. Maybe I should demand they learn our customs if I travel, as is done to us when we get uppity tourists.
    Eighth...um...ly, many Americans hold onto a romanticized view of exotic lands, where those 'exotic' lands hold no illusions about the US. We're not nearly hard enough on our critics, so everyone criticizes and we assume their states are grand while we can easily see ours has faults. It must be realized that every society is terrible somehow, but it is not known what's wrong with it unless it's observed and studied. We tend not to do that as much as we should.
    Ninethly, we are unusually patriotic, but it's necessitated by our origins. In most parts of the world, the nation, meaning a people, and the state are roughly the same. It's just how the borders were defined. In the US, we have nothing in common but a language, a government and the fact that we left some other place- in short, patriotism. Without it, we'd quickly break into many, many factions and dissolve as a very loose nation and a state into civil warfare and anarchy.

All that makes us quirky is necessitated and to be expected, even if it is annoying as can be.

No Rain No Rainbow!!! OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Red Dango Fuuko Starfish Cake
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2018 12:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: k9craze

Lightbulb

because of their attitudes, traditions, culture etc.

I don't hate America I just sometimes dislike them.
    [Random words of wisdom here]
    [Photo signature here]
    [Random words here]

Team Aki! -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-09-2013 12:09 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by mississippibaby View Post
    In sociology class last week we had a discusion on why so many countries seem to dislike america. During this discusion I heard two good theories one was that america is too involved in other countries business and are viewed as arrogant and overly self-rightous and in some cases they are trying to change the way other countries are ran. Another person in my class stated that maybe other countries that are religious based see america as a land of evil because we do alot of things that goes against their religion and they dont want our 'corruption' to spread over to them. These are all just theories that were brought up in class that I found interresting But I want to know whay you think so many other people or countries seem to dislike america?
    I've been to America for 10 years, and the first few years were bright. I came from a country where people don't know and don't care about manners, cutting in lines, pushing people, screaming and swearing in customer services, money robbing in public, etc... When I first experienced America, the first thought was on the people. "people has very nice manner" was my first thought, even a neighbor would say hi to me was something I could never imagine before moving here. I couldn't even imagine cars would stop for me to cross.

As I'm in college now, I've met a lot of international students from the same country and other countries. They all told me that it is not everything they disliked. The school system is still as wonderful, but not after the economic crisis. There's a lot I noticed in people after the economic crisis. I was driving one time with a crazy car next to me, it was a woman and thinking she's about age of 45+. Considering the possibility of menopause, she was very frustrated for some reason. We were both at the light, and we went at the same time when the light turned green. She all a sudden cut in front of me with a very short distance without light signal, so I honked at her. She then gave me a finger calling me "effing asian not knowing about economy". At that time, I considered her as a racist and a furious person about the economy. Not just that women, but I notice a lot of people would put frustration on driving. At first, I didn't know why. But to think of it, it was all after the announcement of economic crisis.

People that says America is bad are mostly people from other countries. They view us different than how Americans view themselves. Cultural differences such as freedom, and how people can sew others for anything. Let say...back in my country, calling people fat is nothing, but here in America is a big thing. In my middle school, a very very fat person who needed 3 spots to sit was called chubby, not even fat. The person who joked with that person ended up being expelled...I didn't know why. At the end, I knew that the offended person brought her parents to complain. I even heard a rumor saying that they all ended up standing in court. In the restaurant I worked at, there was a little kid who ran in to the kitchen, while the parents gives her "freedom" to do anything you want. She ran in, and slipped. The kid's parents ended up sewing us, and our manager got in trouble.

I believe people from different culture would view what I just talked about as extremely ridiculous. I asked my mother one time, if a person saw my face, and got a heart attack, would I be the one in trouble. My mother (who is half Americanized) said yes, it is possible.

Y'know, although I live in America, but as an Asian, I would always protect myself whenever people comes up to me no matter in words or in action. I used to go through being excluded because of my race, even now I still experience frequent discrimination from Americans, telling me to go back to my country. I remember when me and my mom and my sister were out, we were being offended by an American, blowing smokes at us and pushing us assuming that we cannot speak English to call 911 on him. Surprisingly I did, in front of him with whatever people call American accents. He got scared and ran away. After that, I told my family not to be scared of Americans, just because they don't like us, because if they have the rights, then we also get the rights, because we hold the passport of this country.

Americans are also hard to serve, knowing this after I've worked at a restaurant for so many years. I couldn't accept customers eating 3/4 of the meal and return it for money as a deal before the cops enters. I also couldn't accept people wasting food, or even complain the different cooking with other restaurants. My boss, as a Chinese American told me that we shouldn't be scared of them, or even spoiling them, or else they'd do the same thing again.

In other hand, as far as I know. America once promised Taiwan that they will protect them if China attacks. Meanwhile, America helps China on something else. Knowing that no matter what America help Taiwan on, America is still helping Taiwan, meaning that they have a certain level of good relationship, while China means they are against with America. I also heard from many voices from other countries says that America would always want to get involved with other countries' issues when America isn't even involved in the first place.

My fiance, who's an international student in America. He's been here for 3 years, and this is not short. He straightly told me "I hate this country! I want to go back to MY country!"
    Last edited by -akichan-; 05-11-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Lawful Good~*I <3<3<3~Torm*~ Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah has a reputation beyond repute Zedekiah's Avatar
    Gil
    Curmudgeon
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-03-2015 11:24 AM
    Threads

The answer is quite obvious.

It's because of the Communists and Socialists.

They H8 you guys for pwning their super-utopian States.
    So they went into the School systems instead to screw things over from within.
    It worked wonders, at least here in Snoreway. Competence is way down, self-righteous polcor and arrogance way up.
    Last edited by Zedekiah; 05-11-2009 at 04:02 PM.

The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal.

Closed Thread

Thread Information