AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How many anime/manga do you own?

Senior Member Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2013 03:47 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by sev121993 View Post
    Actually, I recall reading somewhere that japanese actually do pay to watch tv. So they do have to pay out of their pockets.
    Well, we pay for cable here too, but that goes to the service provider not the broadcasters - they still rely on commercial spots to pay the bills. Broadcast fees these days are like an added "utility bill" to go with your internet, cellphone, etc., as nobody watches "free" television anymore. Of course, it was nothing like that when I was young - we just needed heat, power, water, and phone. If you do stuff online though, then you've already paid for that through your ISP and power company, in the same way you pay to watch cable TV through your cable company.
    Last edited by Neddog; 05-06-2009 at 06:15 PM.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The Japanese pay for TV, even if they don't watch it, without cable. You'll find that you DON'T have to pay for basic T.V. If you want cable that's on your own, don't expect people to feel bad.

As to your question of why I don't watch when the anime hits stateside on DVD... First of all, I live in Canada. If it takes 6 months for it to hit US shelves, it'll take 12 months to reach here. If it takes a year to see it in the US, it'll take at least two years here. That is, if there were actually shelves to buy them off of in the first place... There are very few anime viewers in this area, and that kind of thing simply isn't sold. This isn't Hollywood theater made for a North American audience.

How would a person in Japan feel if you told him that in order to support the anime industry he should pay to buy every show he watches on DVD, and not leech it off the television broadcast? Even if he was willing to pay that much, and even if he was willing to wait that long to see what everybody else has already seen, I suspect he wouldn't be able to get them all even in Japan.
    Suck it up. I've met people that wait three years for a series to hit stateside and don't complain.

You'll find that Japanese anime fans have jobs, school, etc. They don't have all day for anime. They decide to buy the series because they couldn't catch it, so OF COURSE they buy it.

On a sidenote what is this "simulcast" website that you pay for? I've sure never heard of it. Chances are it's illegal.

Senior Member Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Suck it up, Diocletian? I never complained about anything... You're the one who criticized me for not having an extensive DVD collection!

As for Simulcast, we had discussed that extensively already, and no it's not illegal. Crunchyroll simulcasts the shows they have licensed 1 hour after the airing in Japan.

I bet you also tell everybody who has Photoshop installed on their computer that they're pirates, huh?
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

How would I call PSers pirates? By telling you to suck it up, is to not get all sad about series rarely coming to Canada. Don't tell me Canada doesn't have any anime because even places in the middle east have it. You might find a gem or two.

I haven't criticized you for anything. What you don't understand is Crunchyroll puts those shows up so that when, and if, they do finally arrive you buy them.

Crunchyroll doesn't do that for all series. To-Love-Ru and other series aren't on there so where do you actually see them. When I watch fansubs, I make sure that the series is unobtainable. To the point that after 10 searches, I couldn't find anything.
    Last edited by Diocletian; 05-06-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
    How would I call PSers pirates?
    Um... You told me that I'm "destroying the anime industry" and that simulcast airings online "must be illegal". So yeah, of course I would expect that you also call all software owners pirates.

By telling you to suck it up, is to not get all sad about series rarely coming to Canada. Don't tell me Canada doesn't have any anime because even places in the middle east have it. You might find a gem or two.
    Um... I was sad about that? No, YOU insulted me and criticized me for watching new shows instead of only buying old shows to watch on DVD. I'm not complaining about Canada's lack of anime, I'm just telling you that I like to watch the shows when they're still on the air. I suspect a lot of others on this forum watch currently aired shows too or we would have nothing to talk about, na?

Responding to your personal attacks and explaining why I do things the way I do is not complaining about my situation! You're the one who needs to "suck it up" and allow other people the freedom to live and freely discuss the shows we love here without being put under fire for watching them!
    Last edited by Neddog; 05-06-2009 at 06:42 PM.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

What you don't understand is Crunchyroll puts those shows up so that when, and if, they do finally arrive you buy them.
    Exactly. So what's wrong with watching them before they hit DVD, and how is this destrcutive to the anime industry? I think you're the one not understanding this concept...

Not everybody who watches a show on TV wants to own the series on DVD. Not everybody who goes to see a movie buys it on DVD after so they can watch it over and over again at home. However there is a section of people who do, and that's what they are banking on when they air a show publicly for all to watch. Owning something on DVD is NOT a necessity for people to watch a show "legitimately", and that's what I've been telling you all along.

This same concept is used with concession stands in theaters. The reason we are able to watch movies at a relatively low ticket price (when compared to the expense of making the film), but have to pay an exorbitant price for popcorn and soda, is so that those who can afford to buy concessions will help fund the low ticket price so that the general public can enjoy the film regardless of financial standing. When that movie later hits DVD, there will be again another select portion of that broad market who purchase the DVD because they want to have it in their own possession, thus furthering the profits for the franchise. This is not a "must do" for everyone, and the rest of us are not criminals for watching the show without buying the DVD, or for sitting in a theater for two hours without popcorn.
    Last edited by Neddog; 05-06-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Senior Member Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pokedex 025 - Pikachu
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2012 01:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Oh gosh I own about 18-22 different animes. And as for manga 2 complete sets
    1.Fruits Basket at leat until Vol 23 comes out
    2. Dragon Ball Z
    Gero Server Guru

Senior Member rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch's Avatar
    Gil
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2014 05:35 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lots of bits PSN ID: rf_switch Steam ID: lotsofbits

I don't really own much. Most of what I own is on VHS actually. I still watch them too, like my Record of Lodoss War boxset. Which unfortunatley is dubbed. But back when I bought it there was a $30 difference between subbed and dubbed Anime....never did understand why the dubbed stuff back then was always cheaper when studios had to hire english voice "actors" for them.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2010 09:49 PM
    Threads

I've only have first three volumes of Hana-Kimi and My Heavenly Hockey Club plus the first six of Boys Over Flowers.

~Thanks to Paprika for the awesome sig. ~

Senior Member Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2010 10:15 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by rf switch View Post
    never did understand why the dubbed stuff back then was always cheaper when studios had to hire english voice "actors" for them.
    The common misconception amongst fans was that the companies were trying to push the dub. This wasn't the case, the dub VHSes were simply selling far better, so the companies could charge less on them and still make a profit.
    My name is Kakashi Hatake. What I like....I don't feel like telling you that. My dreams for the future...hmm, never really thought about that. As for my hobbies...well, I have many hobbies.

The Ays Princess Aysami_Kishima has a reputation beyond repute Aysami_Kishima has a reputation beyond repute Aysami_Kishima has a reputation beyond repute Aysami_Kishima has a reputation beyond repute Aysami_Kishima has a reputation beyond repute Aysami_Kishima has a reputation beyond repute Aysami_Kishima has a reputation beyond repute Aysami_Kishima has a reputation beyond repute Aysami_Kishima has a reputation beyond repute Aysami_Kishima has a reputation beyond repute Aysami_Kishima has a reputation beyond repute Aysami_Kishima's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2009 06:24 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: ????????? idk

I have 20 manga and 9 anime dvds.
    Imma kittie named ARI!^^ Here me meow... meow... haha^^

Rawr... he's my awesomatical family:

lil sisters: Sailor Mystery & Tsuki Moon88
    big sister: yilin
    big brother: ~Zetromis~ & TheDesertFox

always looking for more family nd friends. xp ^^hehe

cookies rawk... btw...

I'm just so Domo! Dengaku has a reputation beyond repute Dengaku has a reputation beyond repute Dengaku has a reputation beyond repute Dengaku has a reputation beyond repute Dengaku has a reputation beyond repute Dengaku has a reputation beyond repute Dengaku has a reputation beyond repute Dengaku has a reputation beyond repute Dengaku has a reputation beyond repute Dengaku has a reputation beyond repute Dengaku has a reputation beyond repute Dengaku's Avatar
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-30-2010 07:31 PM
    Threads

I have literally like 400 books from different series (Complete RuroKen, Death Note, etc.). I have numerous full season DVDs and the entire Trinity Blood and FMA series on DVD.

Made by me. =D

Closed Thread

Thread Information