AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you choose a republican or a dictatorship form of government?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Republican system of government

12 85.71%
  • Dictatorship

2 14.29%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would you choose a republican or a dictatorship form of government?

Simple Truth CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2010 02:07 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Would you choose a republican or a dictatorship form of government?

So, If you were the leader/ruler (YOU, singular) of the highest authority (not some ceremonial rank) in your nation, would you choose a republican or a dictatorship form of government? Why would you choose so and what would you do with your choice?

It's about YOU believing and following the usual system of your government (democracy, communism, socialsim, and so on) or YOU seizing absolute power and doing things that you see fit in your nation.

It's not about common moral human ethics and principles. It's about what you really want, if you had that power.

As for the representations of these words over here,

In republican system of government, the power is held by the people or their representatives they elect.

While,
    In dictatorship, all the power is held completely by a single person in the nation by force or without the consult of all citizens. (to consider it evil, over here, is your own individual perspectives)

So, comment your thoughts, if you are serious on this matter or if you find it just amusing.

Well, there are way too many forms of government to mention. But, some do have common principles. And based on that, I termed them to fit the purpose of this topic. It's about:
    "If you were the leader/ruler of the highest authority in your nation, would you choose a republican or a dictatorship form of government?"

This topic is about you having absolute power (dictatorship) or you having power with some constraints while representing people's power(republican system).

Besides, you cannot divide all types of government into just two or three options. It's an ideology and your's can be quite different form mine. That's all.
    Last edited by CrystalAce; 05-06-2009 at 03:23 AM.
    "To do is to be" - Descartes, "To be is to do" - Voltaire, "Do be do be do" - Sinatra.

NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY

Old and Cranky Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-17-2009 11:44 PM
    Threads

Why do we have to choose between Republican and Dictatorship? Neither would suit me if I was the supreme ruler. I wouldn't see either choice necessary. But maybe if you can answer my question, I can answer yours more clearly.

Wedding is in October. And I'm going to be a dad. Super excited.

Simple Truth CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rem Nightfall View Post
    Why do we have to choose between Republican and Dictatorship? Neither would suit me if I was the supreme ruler. I wouldn't see either choice necessary. But maybe if you can answer my question, I can answer yours more clearly.
    To simply put,

Citizens are the key features of the nation. If there's no citizen then, there's no nation. As there is citizen in nation, the power of the nation is strengthened. And the power of the nation can either rest upon the citizen's shoulder or not.

If the power of the state is in the hands of citizens or the people they elect, it's called a republic state.

However, if the power of the state is not in the hands of citizens, then the form of goverment can be mentioned in many ways, such as dictatorship, monarchy, and so on.

Though, in the end, it would be other people who would have all the power of the state and not the citizens or the people they represent. And the most common hard-core anotonym for republic, in this case, can be dictatorship.

Though, you may have different perspectives in this case.

However, the point in this thread is that, would you represent the power of all the citizens in a republic manner with oppositions questioning or consulting you or, would you represent all the power by yourselves and do ultimately great things (maybe, good or evil) without being challenged or questioned as in dictatorship?

Let's put common moral human ethics and principles besides. It's about what you really want, if you had that power.

Yeah, it's just two choices as I didn't want it to get too complicated or side-tracked from this main question.
    Last edited by CrystalAce; 05-04-2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Communism is also called single-party REPUBLIC. It makes me laugh. HAHA!
    "To do is to be" - Descartes, "To be is to do" - Voltaire, "Do be do be do" - Sinatra.

Rising Falcon! Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Present Gurren Kamina Glasses
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-01-2017 11:40 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ErraticKyosuke

Dictatorship in the form of a republican government. That way I have all the power and the people think they have control. Everybody wins.
    I now know what hell sounds like; I recommend a tactical nuclear strike on my position. Tell my family I love them.

Old and Cranky Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Depending on the situation would be my choice. I don't agree with either choice, but depending on the situation. If the people had gone through war and still had their fears I would be a dictatorship only because a citizen with fear cannot make decisions because he would only make decisions based upon fear.
    If it was another situation then a republican set of government would be needed.
    Depends on the situation.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Itachi770 View Post
    Dictatorship in the form of a republican government. That way I have all the power and the people think they have control. Everybody wins.
    So, you say your choice is dictatorship in which you make people think they are in control i.e. dictatorship with lots of propagandas and illusions to satisfy the people while you do your own business of dictating, isn't it?...BANZAI...I see great potential of a great Dictator in you...you'll do well in your dictatorship ...

Rising Falcon! Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody has a reputation beyond repute Seņor Nobody's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Watch, by the time I'm 30 the world will bow to me.
    I now know what hell sounds like; I recommend a tactical nuclear strike on my position. Tell my family I love them.

~ Aura ~ Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-10-2010 02:48 PM
    Threads

The dictatorship wouldn't be too bad if it was dictated by the right person.
    ~ Aura ~

"If you are near to the dark
    I will tell you 'bout the sun
    You are here, no escape
    From my visions of the world
    You will cry all alone
    But it does not mean a thing to me ..."

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Watch, by the time I'm 30 I will bow to the world.
    Fixed your typo. I understand articles are hard to understand.

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

That remark was intended as a joke. I'm most likely destined to die in my mid 50's as an obscure accountant that died in his cubicle.

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

If I got to be dictator, I'd obviously go for dictatorship. Truly though, I don't think it'd be an oppressive regime. Citizens would have many of the same rights they have now - just no power over me being in office.

The death penalty would be more widespread, and some laws would be enforced more strictly.

Overall, though, my dictatorship wouldn't be a bad place to be.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by revile View Post

The death penalty would be more widespread
    I as a citizen of your nation would disagree with this. I do not believe in the death penalty. What happens to me the citizen who has spoken out?

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Rem Nightfall View Post
    I as a citizen of your nation would disagree with this. I do not believe in the death penalty. What happens to me the citizen who has spoken out?
    Isn't it obvious? You die.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Isn't it obvious? You die.
    Well maybe in your civilization. But what about his? I want to see how great his dictatorship would be.

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

You can speak out in my dictatorship. I'd only have you killed if you were involved in a violent or destructive protest.

It'd be a lot like what the US has now - we speak, and our elected officials don't actually listen.

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I was making a joke about his dictatorship. In mine, you can think whatever you want.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by revile View Post
    You can speak out in my dictatorship. I'd only have you killed if you were involved in a violent or destructive protest.

It'd be a lot like what the US has now - we speak, and our elected officials don't actually listen.
    Nice to know. And that is my problem with government in the first place.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It's a big part of the reason I hate the electoral college. The majority doesn't rule. Each vote should be counted individually. A Republican in New York or California has no voice, as a Democrat in Texas has no voice.

This only really works for national elections, everyone gets to be heard in state elections.

I would also employ compulsory voting laws, if it were up to me. I want 100% participation. I feel people who do not participate have no right to whine.

Anyway. If I'm dictator, and I cannot be elected or un-elected - I suppose I could pull a Saddam and be the only name on the ballot - then the point is moot.

I'd probably maintain a congress or parliamentary body. My dictatorship would rule with an iron fist, but most citizens would never see or feel that fist.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

This OP is made of fail. It uses 'republican' where context suggests democratic is intended, since the opposite of a republic is not a dictatorship but a monarchy, of which there are democratic variations.. Further confusion is added by the (to republican) eponymous American et. al. reublican parties.

TC;DR: Is it republican (as in the republican party) or republican (as in not monarchy)? In both cases, it's a false dichotomy.
    Last edited by Eris; 05-03-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Eris, in the English language
    Republican -> n, member of political party
    rebuplican -> adj, system of government

Had he used "democrat" it would fall under the same criterion to decide which term he meant.

The reason why he said 'republican' instead of 'democratic', is because a democratic government could very well not have elected officials--the land would be governed directly through the voting of people and thus you might not be an elected official. He's trying to cancel out that option by more specifically saying 'republican'. Either way you're going to be in charge, so it's more like an "under what terms would you like to rule" question.

It's not supposed to be a dichotomy... I mean had he covered all his bases his original question wouldn't work anymore because there is no single leader in an Anarchy/Direct Democracy/Oligarchy/etc.

I don't think that the topic is full of fail in the aspects which you mention... you seem a bit off today.

On topic -- I'd probably chose republican form of government. I wouldn't want a dictator screwing up everything I tried to accomplish after my death. Democracy provides a nice buffer.
    Last edited by Wio; 05-03-2009 at 04:31 PM.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    Eris, in the English language
    Republican -> n, member of political party
    rebuplican -> adj, system of government
    Since when can you make assumptions about text case on AF? Besides, it's still a false dichotomy.

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eris' View Post
    Since when can you make assumptions about text case on AF? Besides, it's still a false dichotomy.
    How about this: make the assumption and call them on it if they get it wrong.

Edit: Ah well, do whatever. I'm just explaining my interpretation of it all.
    Last edited by Wio; 05-03-2009 at 04:41 PM.

Cowboy Psychologist Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show has a reputation beyond repute Forgotten Show's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-29-2013 12:07 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Eris' View Post
    This OP is made of fail. It uses 'republican' where context suggests democratic is intended, since the opposite of a republic is not a dictatorship but a monarchy, of which there are democratic variations.. Further confusion is added by the (to republican) eponymous American et. al. reublican parties.

TC;DR: Is it republican (as in the republican party) or republican (as in not monarchy)? In both cases, it's a false dichotomy.
    Damn. Said before I could. Eris' post is dead on.

Bad Memory

Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotten Show View Post
    Damn. Said before I could. Eris' post is dead on.
    I have a question for you.
    Why does it need to be a dichotomy in the first place?

Also, when you consider the context of the OP, it cuts it really close.

Context: The country is ruled by a leader, which happens to be you.
    IF it is a democracy THEN it must be an indirect democracy aka republic.
    IF it is not a democracy THEN the people have no political power to check the leader. This is comes pretty close to what a dictator is. If the people can't check the leader, who does?

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I have a question for you.
    Why does it need to be a dichotomy in the first place?
    A false dichotomy is any question where you are given two options that are not mutually exclusive. There are possible options that are not covered. It is an informal fallacy that forces you to make a standpoint that you do not believe in.

IF it is a democracy THEN it must be an indirect democracy aka republic.
    IF it is not a democracy THEN the people have no political power to check the leader. This is comes pretty close to what a dictator is. If the people can't check the leader, who does?
    Then there's theocracies, oligarchies, plutocracies, tribal societies, various anarchistic forms of society, meritocracies, feudalistic societies, etc. None of these are (necessarily) dictatorships, and none of them are republican.

More commonly, constitutional monarchies are not dictatorships, and not republican.
    Last edited by Eris; 05-03-2009 at 09:36 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information