AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: 81st Annual Academy Awards

Senior Member Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-03-2010 01:32 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default 81st Annual Academy Awards

If you did not watch, or do not care for, the Academy Awards, AKA "The Oscars", please refrain from posting about your apathy in this thread, as it is pointless and spammy.

Anyway, for those of you who did watch or at least will be checking the results, what are your thoughts?

Heath Ledger won Best Supporting Actor. Absolutely no surprise there. He deserved it, and it is very sad that he was not alive to accept it. I didn't see his ex-fiancee at the show, though; as the mother of his daughter, shouldn't Michelle have been the one accepting the award? Not that I have anything against his family taking it, but I thought she'd at least be present.

I was quite surprised, but very, very pleased that Sean Penn won Best Actor for his role in Milk. I expected Mickey Rourke to win because I had heard so much hype about him. Also expected and pleased to see that Kate Winslet won; her acceptance speech was amusing to see.

I love Penn for the little speech he gave when he accepted his award. Apparently the car he arrived in had been vandalized by hateful messages, predictably homophobic ones.

I was surprised that Slumdog Millionaire won so many awards! It's a great movie, but damn! I really wanted "Down to Earth" from WALL-E to win for Best Song, but yeah, SM's music is really great.

Is was also great to see that they brought the child actors from Slumdog Millionaire to the awards show.

I haven't seen many of those movies so I need to make a list of DVDs to check out this year!
    This post has been approved by Dancing Alec™

Senior Member Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium has a reputation beyond repute Equilibrium's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Typewriter Dolphin Systems PS3
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-01-2014 08:48 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

No Best Picture nomination for The Dark Night or WALL-E, but 13 nominations for The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button?

Whoa, wait a minute, whoa...Brad Pitt has been nominated for Best Actor for playing a passive sponge man with two and a half expressions? This is a performance about makeup and CG. Button is very worthy film in some respects, but this is comic relief. This is ridiculous.

Is Tropic Thunder the first comedy in which an actor got nominated? And yeah, if you're going to pick RDJ, why not just give him the goods for Iron Man?

As for TDK getting shafted, I didn't think it was the best, but that it was probably more deserving than The Departed. I imagine it's the "comic book ghetto" origin which kept it from making the list. LOTR at least was based on a series of novels, thus making it "legit".

Reader is seriously creepy and has had no critical consensus behind it as far as I could see. For it to be in there instead of DK or even Rev Road is ridiculous, as is nominating Winslet for that role and not RR.

By the way - Jolie looked like she had a chunk of Kryptonite on her ring finger.

SES Member Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-16-2017 05:34 AM
    Threads

Another year, another rigged ceremony.
    If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.

Senior Member Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie has a reputation beyond repute Ollie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-03-2010 01:32 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    By the way - Jolie looked like she had a chunk of Kryptonite on her ring finger.
    I noticed that. Do emeralds of that size even exist outside of a royally owned jewelry collection?
    This post has been approved by Dancing Alec™

Senior Member The Wing Man has a reputation beyond repute The Wing Man has a reputation beyond repute The Wing Man has a reputation beyond repute The Wing Man has a reputation beyond repute The Wing Man has a reputation beyond repute The Wing Man has a reputation beyond repute The Wing Man has a reputation beyond repute The Wing Man has a reputation beyond repute The Wing Man has a reputation beyond repute The Wing Man has a reputation beyond repute The Wing Man has a reputation beyond repute The Wing Man's Avatar
    Gil
    Shh
    Gifts 028 - Sandslash Tron LightCycle Falcon
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-15-2023 11:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I wish it hadn't been such an obvious year, slumdog was winning so many awards before hand it was an easy call but the fact it won 8 oscars shows how overrated it is.Good movie and I was happy to see Boyle get an oscar, but the fact they didn't nominate the dark knight just because the Weinstein brothers put a huge push toward the reader getting a best picture nomination was upsetting.

I was also very upset let the right one in didn't get a nom for best foreign film and I was sure waltz with bashir would win, there was a pretty big snub when it didn't and this mistake happens too much in the category.I think it was a good oscars and Jackman was pretty good, I have been watching them since I was a kid and it wasn't a very strong year for movies like 1999 or 2006 but still ok.

I think the best moment of the night was either the Apatow short or the ending where they showed clips of films for 09, we got a small look at public enemies and that got me really excited.Slumdog millionare winning certain awards like sound mixing and film editing upset me, but I thought it would end up winning about 7 oscars and well it did that and some.

I felt bad for Mickey Rourke):
    -TWM-

Senior Member queenelfaria2 has a reputation beyond repute queenelfaria2 has a reputation beyond repute queenelfaria2 has a reputation beyond repute queenelfaria2 has a reputation beyond repute queenelfaria2 has a reputation beyond repute queenelfaria2 has a reputation beyond repute queenelfaria2 has a reputation beyond repute queenelfaria2 has a reputation beyond repute queenelfaria2 has a reputation beyond repute queenelfaria2 has a reputation beyond repute queenelfaria2 has a reputation beyond repute queenelfaria2's Avatar
    Gil
    Confused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-26-2010 02:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I um, didn't see any of them yet, lol. Not even Dark Knight. But it was pretty much a given that Heath Ledger would get that award. So I watched to see who would accept it for him.

I loved how they had the prevous winners in the actors' categories make tributes to the nominees. It was like a warm welcome to a select club and all the nominees were so touched by it. I never noticed Angelina's ring...only Brad Pitt's teariness during Anthony Hopkin's presentation.

I think Hugh Jackman did a great job as host this year...not as many awkward jokes and lots of singing. Didn't even miss Billy Crystal or any of the other previous hosts at all. He even got in a plug for his Wolverine movie.

By the way did anyone notice the previews for all those movies coming up for this year? Some of them looked interesting but another Ice Age movie...when will it end?

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie has a reputation beyond repute tenzo_groupie's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2010 09:49 PM
    Threads

I had a feeling that Sean Penn would win Best Actor and Heath Ledger, Best Supporting Actor.

I thought Hugh Jackson did a wonderful job hosting this year, its a change from the comedians I normally see.
    Last edited by tenzo_groupie; 02-23-2009 at 04:11 AM. Reason: grammar error

~Thanks to Paprika for the awesome sig. ~

unknown LiLi. has a reputation beyond repute LiLi. has a reputation beyond repute LiLi. has a reputation beyond repute LiLi. has a reputation beyond repute LiLi. has a reputation beyond repute LiLi. has a reputation beyond repute LiLi. has a reputation beyond repute LiLi. has a reputation beyond repute LiLi. has a reputation beyond repute LiLi. has a reputation beyond repute LiLi. has a reputation beyond repute LiLi.'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-01-2010 03:55 AM
    Threads

I haven't watched the Oscars but i did read the news online. Bless Branglina, they didn't win any Oscars this year but they did smile all the way through (;
    And yay, Robert Pattinson was there (:
    concrete jungles where dreams
    are made of,
    there's nothing you can do~
    I
    NY

Dream With Me Magical Soul has a reputation beyond repute Magical Soul has a reputation beyond repute Magical Soul has a reputation beyond repute Magical Soul has a reputation beyond repute Magical Soul has a reputation beyond repute Magical Soul has a reputation beyond repute Magical Soul has a reputation beyond repute Magical Soul has a reputation beyond repute Magical Soul has a reputation beyond repute Magical Soul has a reputation beyond repute Magical Soul has a reputation beyond repute Magical Soul's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-13-2009 04:09 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: Dream ♥

Meh the winners we're chosen before people voted = rigged, who cares anyway?

Senior Member Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum has a reputation beyond repute Anime Forum's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    376 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-04-2022 08:14 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Wall-e won =D

I really enjoyed that animated feature, it was a great movie.
    Nonon Jakuzure - Best Kill la Kill bae
    Ota "The Cutest Otaku" 2016 - Lol, how's your account doing lately? Oh wait.
    Pretty damn great! #spoke2soon

Visage Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-28-2009 05:11 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by -Raiken- View Post
    Wall-e won =D

I really enjoyed that animated feature, it was a great movie.
    Same here , i threw my popcorn on my brother with joy when they announced the winner....was so happy.
    That movie really "Deserves" that award. I am super happy with the result.
    wish me luck for furture guys!!!!
    Thanks for everything!!!
    ^___^

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I don't follow these things but I heard that Departures (Okuribito) won best foreign language film for the first time from Japan, which has me feeling a bit happy.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Great Witch of Britannia wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90 has a reputation beyond repute wolfgirl90's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Eva Penpen Wolf Full Moon
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2014 03:53 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisturbedWiccan PSN ID: Wolfdragon63 Steam ID: Wolfgirl90

While I love Wall-E, it winning the Oscar for Best Animated Feature did not surprise me at all, considering its competition. Sorry, but I don't think Kung Fu Panda and Bolt should have been nominated anyway (but, when think about the other crappy animated movies that came out, well...).

I did not watch the Oscars (something about Hugh Jackman doing it, I don't know...by the way, did he do a good job?) but after watching the Cobert Report last week, I apparently didn't need to. Stephen Cobert used what he calls "The DaColbert Code" to figure out who would win. He got them all right! Again!
    http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...ar-predictions
    This is my war face.

This is what happens to trolls who mess with me.

boopaloop! None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above has a reputation beyond repute None of the above's Avatar
    Gil
    Stressed
    Gifts Xmas Tree Lamborghini Grapes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-01-2011 03:21 AM
    Threads

Have not watched it.

But I greet the awards for Wall-E, Milk, the Reader, Toyland and Heath Ledger.

Interesting to see how low-budget movie got awarded [For example - Toyland costed 30 k euros, while all the actors consented on not getting paid for their prestations].

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It's become blatantly obvious that Hollywood does not care about creating original movies anymore, and has decided it is much more fun to urinate over the audience for 2 hours instead.

They should do what porn did and drop the plot all together. Just make a 90 minute CG car chase and sprinkle it with explosions and few shower scenes. Today's moviegoers don't have the attention span to keep track of a plot anyways. But there's ubiquitous ADD for you.
    Last edited by Eris; 02-23-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I didn't get to watch it, although I wanted to.

I am still a bit upset that Gran Torino was not up for Movie of the Year, or Clint Eastwood for Best Male Actor in a leading role.

I think Slumdog Millionaire was very overrated and overhyped. It was a good movie, but I feel much of the acclaim that it received was because of how and where it was made, rather than the film itself.

Heath Ledger was no surprise. Even if he wasn't that good in the role he would have gotten it just because of the public frenzy surrounding his death. Granted, he did deserve it.

I still haven't seen Milk, though I want to.

Benjamin Button, Doubt, and Revolutionary Road should not have won, let alone have been nominated for, anything. Button and Road were awful, and Doubt was nothing special.

Robery Downey Junior I can understand being nominated for BSA in Tropic Thunder over Best Male Lead for Iron Man. Iron Man was a great movie, but Downey's role was not spectacular. I think his role in Tropic Thunder was better.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Senior Member Lenks has a reputation beyond repute Lenks has a reputation beyond repute Lenks has a reputation beyond repute Lenks has a reputation beyond repute Lenks has a reputation beyond repute Lenks has a reputation beyond repute Lenks has a reputation beyond repute Lenks has a reputation beyond repute Lenks has a reputation beyond repute Lenks has a reputation beyond repute Lenks has a reputation beyond repute Lenks's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-08-2009 10:37 AM
    Threads

Stopped caring after Springsteen wasn't nominated for best song. That really made me upset that he won a Golden Globe, but wasn't even considered for an Oscar.

But, I did see a few of the results and was most shocked by Penn's win. I haven't seen Milk, but I know Penn is a great actor, so it's still really good he won.

Closed Thread

Thread Information