AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dubbed Vs. Subbed?

Junior Member malign is a glorious beacon of light malign is a glorious beacon of light malign is a glorious beacon of light malign is a glorious beacon of light malign is a glorious beacon of light malign is a glorious beacon of light malign's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-19-2009 08:25 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Dubbed Vs. Subbed?

I am mostly here because I am looking to watch a couple of new anime and I want to know which is better, subbed or dubbed? I know that most anime fans will side with subbed, as it tends to be truer to the anime and most people dislike english voice acting, but- for the most part I prefer subbed anime; so long as it doesn't lose too much of its originality.

heres a short list of some I'm thinking about watching, is there any major difference in the dubbing of any of these?

-inuyasha
    -bleach
    -naruto
    -dragonball series
    -marmalade boy
    -death note
    -neon genesis evangelion

feel free to suggest any good anime, though I have seen a lot of the 'classics'.

Thank you!
    Last edited by malign; 01-19-2009 at 08:26 PM.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

They're all good dubs. Evangelion, Deathnote and Dragonball probably have the best dubs on the list. The Naruto dub is probably the worst on the list, but it's still good.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Having just deleted a bunch of posts I will say this:

He is asking if the dubs for those anime are good or not. This is not a Dubs vs. Subs thread. If you want to argue your point, go to the Dubs Vs. Subs thread. It should be right there on the first page of General.

Member Ai no nai has a reputation beyond repute Ai no nai has a reputation beyond repute Ai no nai has a reputation beyond repute Ai no nai has a reputation beyond repute Ai no nai has a reputation beyond repute Ai no nai has a reputation beyond repute Ai no nai has a reputation beyond repute Ai no nai has a reputation beyond repute Ai no nai has a reputation beyond repute Ai no nai has a reputation beyond repute Ai no nai has a reputation beyond repute Ai no nai's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-16-2009 11:20 AM
    Threads

Default depends

Some dont matter. Naruto and bleach did a great job on making the dubbed sound like the original. But for death note i recommend the subbed, the voice acting is so much better for subbed.
    This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you
    Now here I go. Shining Finger!!!!

Senior Member Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2010 10:15 PM
    Threads

-inuyasha (dub and sub about equal, just prepare to deal with a lot of repitition of certain dialogue)
    -bleach (equal. Though both versions portray Ichigo and a certain side to Rukia in a different manner, and it's up for debate on which one is more accurate)
    -naruto (equal, but only the DVD's unedited dub)
    -dragonball series (depends. Avoid the Ocean dub at all costs, though it's hard to find anyway. The sub is a bit better than the Funimation dub EXCEPT for Goku's voice, which the sub messed up completely in DBZ. So for Dragonball, go with the sub, for DBZ, go for the dub. Avoid GT if you value your sanity)
    -marmalade boy (haven't seen it)
    -death note (dub, since it has excellent voice acting and makes the show even more over-dramatic, which is very appropriate for this kind of show)
    -neon genesis evangelion (sub. The dub is good (starts off okay but gets great as it goes along), however the sub is excellent. Only dub VA I'd put above the sub's seiyus is Asuka, but the sub overall has an excellent cast)
    My name is Kakashi Hatake. What I like....I don't feel like telling you that. My dreams for the future...hmm, never really thought about that. As for my hobbies...well, I have many hobbies.

Member Furevor has a reputation beyond repute Furevor has a reputation beyond repute Furevor has a reputation beyond repute Furevor has a reputation beyond repute Furevor has a reputation beyond repute Furevor has a reputation beyond repute Furevor has a reputation beyond repute Furevor has a reputation beyond repute Furevor has a reputation beyond repute Furevor has a reputation beyond repute Furevor has a reputation beyond repute Furevor's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-29-2009 03:50 PM
    Threads

naruto dub in general is pretty poor. I prefer the sub.
    i was put off the death note dub after hearing Light speak for the first time. i think the voice doesnt suit the character at all.
    as for bleach i think the dub is pretty good.

thats my opinion anyway =)

Monster hunter Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack has a reputation beyond repute Kojack's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-09-2009 08:10 PM
    Threads

*I can't say for Inuyasha or Marmalade Boy, and the only experience I have with the voices of Bleach is from the Blade of Fates DS game.

The over9000 Dragonball Z is excellent (haven't seen original or GT, sorry), and Naruto from what I've seen (minimal) was good. I hold the opinion that Neon Genesis Evangelion and Death Note are better in English.
    Last edited by Kojack; 01-31-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Ice Tea ninja wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-24-2010 05:00 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1234 5678 91011

dragonball is good dubbs.
    naruto is HORRIBLE Dubbs!!! HORIBLE. he never stops saying beliive it, beleive it! ARGH
    anyway. i prefer subs
    Just Your Friendly Neighborhood Wowzabunny

Senior Member Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85 has a reputation beyond repute Doom85's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by wowzabunny View Post
    he never stops saying beliive it, beleive it! ARGH
    Yes, he did. Since like episode 25 and beyond.
    My name is Kakashi Hatake. What I like....I don't feel like telling you that. My dreams for the future...hmm, never really thought about that. As for my hobbies...well, I have many hobbies.

Junior Member ~Randy~__ is infamous around these parts ~Randy~__'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-16-2009 02:37 PM
    Threads

dubed of anything for me because who wants to read while watching something???O_O. AND i like to pay attension to what happens in the show instead of focusing on words. but i think that inuyasha and bleach did a really good gob on the voice actors along with code geass.
    Last edited by ~Randy~__; 01-31-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Senior Member Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116 has a reputation beyond repute Teddy2116's Avatar
    Gil
    Relaxed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2011 05:06 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: dragofgravity

for the animes you listed I've seen them dubbed first but when i actually watched them subbed the voice acting was sooooooooo much better. Some animes are good dubbed like Trigun and DBZ, I couldn't watch them subbed (eww that was painful). i guess it all depends on who they have dubbing the animes.

Ice Tea ninja wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny has a reputation beyond repute wowzabunny's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-24-2010 05:00 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 1234 5678 91011

Dubbed
    Just Your Friendly Neighborhood Wowzabunny

☆Good Lucky☆ BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-07-2012 08:05 PM
    Threads

inuyasha
    Dubs here are pretty solid. Not a lot of the voices annoy me. There's no reason not to watch the dubs over subs here.

bleach
    The dubs are watchable, but the subs are better. Everyone sounds older in the dub so you might have to get used to that. Since Bleach is one of those shows with so many characters not all the dub voices are great.

naruto

The dubs are just bad. I want to kill something every time someone says "believe it" the main casts voices are all fairly annoying. Especially Sakura, who I'm not saying as the best japanese voice to listen to, but at least that's barable. Watch the subs, kill dubs.

dragonball series
    This is one of the few shows where I can say the dubs are better than the subs. I don't know why all the shows can't get the quality dubs this one got, especially since it lasted forever. Watch the dubs, no reason to watch subs here.

marmalade boy
    ...I haven't seen this.

death note
    This show has good dubs, I can't compare to the subs since I've only seen it dubbed, but like most anime showing on adult swim the dubs are at least average.

neon genesis evangelion
    Both the subs and dubs were good. I have to give a slight edge to the subs. However, there's not enough going againt the dubs not to watch it if you don't like reading subs like me.

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

naruto[/B]
    The dubs are just bad. I want to kill something every time someone says "believe it" the main casts voices are all fairly annoying. Especially Sakura, who I'm not saying as the best japanese voice to listen to, but at least that's barable. Watch the subs, kill dubs.
    naruto is HORRIBLE Dubbs!!! HORIBLE. he never stops saying beliive it, beleive it! ARGH
    I find it funny that everyone gets pissy over him saying "Believe it!" in the english dub, but don't give a crap that he says "dattebayo" or "-ttebayo" every other line in the japanese dub.

I also think peole miss the point that Naruto, as a character, is supposed to be annoying.

Bring Trent The Horizon Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2009 01:25 PM
    Northampton,Massachusetts,Williston Boarding School
    Threads

i like subs better because a lot of the times the characters voices are age appropriate but dubs like Bleach and Naruto they all sound like little kids or teens with prepubescent voices
    Oli Syckes=Sexy Beast

that guy with the beard JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO.'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-21-2011 11:16 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jimbo8472

I hated the 4 kids dubs why do they feel the need to give each person a difrent accent. rather than just a difrent voice

☆Good Lucky☆ BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly has a reputation beyond repute BestFly's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-07-2012 08:05 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by JIMBO ^_^ View Post
    I hated the 4 kids dubs why do they feel the need to give each person a difrent accent. rather than just a difrent voice
    Lol like

Joey Wheeler: New York? That's where my accent used to live.

that guy with the beard JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO. has a reputation beyond repute JIMBO.'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

its like Hawkeye from one piece Oda ment to make him look spanish

4 kids: "hey lets make him French!"

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono1219 View Post
    Lol like

Joey Wheeler: New York? That's where my accent used to live.
    In the immortal words of Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged: "Brooklyn rage! BROOKLYN RAGE!!"

Senior Member Akito0o has a reputation beyond repute Akito0o has a reputation beyond repute Akito0o has a reputation beyond repute Akito0o has a reputation beyond repute Akito0o has a reputation beyond repute Akito0o has a reputation beyond repute Akito0o has a reputation beyond repute Akito0o has a reputation beyond repute Akito0o has a reputation beyond repute Akito0o has a reputation beyond repute Akito0o has a reputation beyond repute Akito0o's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-09-2010 02:29 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: I hate the wii !

On my own scale from 1-5 on how well they are dubbed.

-inuyasha 3/5
    -bleach 3.5/5
    -naruto 2/5
    -dragonball series 4/5
    -marmalade boy 3.5/5
    -death note 4.5/5
    -neon genesis evangelion 5/5 (This is my favorite anime, but i don really think is is one of the best dubbed anime of all time, except maybe for Asuka's voice, it is kind of annoying.

Member .Shino Aburame has a reputation beyond repute .Shino Aburame has a reputation beyond repute .Shino Aburame has a reputation beyond repute .Shino Aburame has a reputation beyond repute .Shino Aburame has a reputation beyond repute .Shino Aburame has a reputation beyond repute .Shino Aburame has a reputation beyond repute .Shino Aburame has a reputation beyond repute .Shino Aburame has a reputation beyond repute .Shino Aburame has a reputation beyond repute .Shino Aburame has a reputation beyond repute .Shino Aburame's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-26-2009 07:42 PM
    Threads

Best Subbed
    Bleach
    Worst Subbed
    Marmalade Boy

Best Dubbed
    Inuyasha
    Worst Dubbed
    Naruto
    Killing is business....and business is good.

Trust.
    Thanks Jagan Eye for Yoruichi sig! =] ^
    Check out Animerehab and AnimeHack! Great anime sites!

Visage Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma has a reputation beyond repute Necro'lic Enigma's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-28-2009 05:11 PM
    Threads

-inuyasha
    Not up to the mark for dub , but it was ok. I will prefer subs for this one.
    -bleach

Great dub , loved it. both for this anime , sub and dub.
    -naruto

Er...no no noway please , not at all good dub , would prefer subs..
    -dragonball series

Best dub ever , really a great job with the dubs no doubt.
    -marmalade boy

.......havent seen this one.
    -death note

Again one more anime count for the great dub , no problems at all with me.
    -neon genesis evangelion

....although it starts to get down further but still i think i still sticked around with the dubs......
    wish me luck for furture guys!!!!
    Thanks for everything!!!
    ^___^

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

I seen many talking about the dragonball z dubs I think it odd that they redub the music too I remember a lot of the japanese battle themes had trumpets in them, da da da de da! epic!

Senior Member AnimeGirlX95 is a splendid one to behold AnimeGirlX95 is a splendid one to behold AnimeGirlX95 is a splendid one to behold AnimeGirlX95 is a splendid one to behold AnimeGirlX95 is a splendid one to behold AnimeGirlX95 is a splendid one to behold AnimeGirlX95 is a splendid one to behold AnimeGirlX95's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-07-2009 12:07 PM
    Threads

If your going to watch Bleach, which I highly recommend, then you should watch it subbed. The voices in the English dub sound older than the actual characters are. A good example of this is Toshiro Hitsugaya's english dub voice. In the English dub he sounds like a 47 year old man! Where as in the subbed version, he sounds like he's about 13 and hasn't hit puberty yet. Which in my opinion is the way he should sound. He looks like a middle school kid, and is referred to as such by most people. Not only that but it takes longer for the Shimigami (Or soul reapers if you watch it dubbed) to age. Like Rukia said in the first episode that she had lived about 15 of Ichigo's lifetimes. Now, speaking of Rukia, we all know that she looks like a high school student. (No duh!) But her English dubbed voice sounds like she's in her late 20's. Not only that but Renji's English dubbed voice sounds like he's in his late 30's or 40's! So my suggestion is to watch Bleach subbed. I hope my opinions were helpful to some people.

Senior Member kenji174 has a reputation beyond repute kenji174 has a reputation beyond repute kenji174 has a reputation beyond repute kenji174 has a reputation beyond repute kenji174 has a reputation beyond repute kenji174 has a reputation beyond repute kenji174 has a reputation beyond repute kenji174 has a reputation beyond repute kenji174 has a reputation beyond repute kenji174 has a reputation beyond repute kenji174 has a reputation beyond repute kenji174's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-24-2010 06:47 AM
    Threads

I prefer subbed because you can hear the japanese language and I enjoy reading. Though the dubbed Evangelion is good.
    When there is nothing left to protect then what do I fight for?

Closed Thread

Thread Information