AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: what camera should i get?

Junior Member STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-11-2009 12:07 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default what camera should i get?

i'm kinda new to this area.. im looking for a camera that can take good action shots and night shots because i like to take pictures when i go racing and take pictures of the cars at night in the houston light. I'm looking at a Nikon D80 but i dont know what to look for as far as a lense goes... i ask and ask and ask and at the end of it all i want to do this...

i took my signature pic with a D80 but i dont know what kind of lense it had on it or how it was set up so i hope that one of you camera guru's can give a noob a hand.

PLZ HELP!

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2020 05:11 PM
    Threads

Be a cool guy. Go for the gold and get a canon mark II 5d. lol jk. Fromthe looks of it, it looks like a telephoto Nikor with a aperature around 2.8. The shot used panning i believe. I don't know if that was any help but try narrowing the search with F2.8 and telephoto.

Senior Member Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-29-2008 02:22 PM
    Threads

Well, a normal kit lens can't do much. It's most likely a telephoto lens, as what International 4-8818 had said. In my term, it's like a bazooka.

Those are panning shots. Shutter speed must be 1/40 sec or lower.
    It's not mounted on a tripod, but hand held.

Heh, I've a D80 and my kit lens works fine with me with speed. xD
    As long as you practice, it should be no problem even with any type of lenses.
    Me? I'm a wallpaper critique...

Minitokyo ll ComicFiesta ll KAMCAO

::
    Cosplay Plan::
    - Ise Nanao
    - Yubari Gogo

Senior Member overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2010 03:34 PM
    Threads

Well I looked at the properties of the photo in your sig and it showed that the focal length used was 50mm - however I have to ask if the properties were edited in any way, a 50mm is just not normal for such a shot, though one could certainly be used if you were close to the car (50mm gives a view roughly similar to what the human eye can see - on a crop sensor camera its a little closer than that, but not by a huge degree).

Unfortunatly what you are after is going to cost a lot - the lenses typically used for motorsports (or indeed any sports) are generally wide aperture telephotos (things like a 300mm f2.8) and those really do cost a lot (several times the cost of the camera body).
    there are budget options on the market of course - lenses like a sigma 70-300mm APO - budget options are good for starting on, but are going to have smaller max apertures and also will be more noticably soft. Its all really dependant on how much money you are willing to put into the hobby and also how far you want to go with it in the longer term - saving for a pro lens is definatly worth it, but only if your really keen.

Starting out a lot can seem complex - especailly lens talk - which makes it hard to make a choice (I definatly found this). If you go Canon or Nikon then you have bought into a system and both have very extensive lenses on offer. From memory there are some problems with auto focusing with older lenses and some low level Nikon camera bodies, but I can't remember modles or makes (I am a canon shooter).
    If your confused now I suggest getting either a canon or nikon body and use the kit lens for a while as you get your feet. Also note that its best to spend money on the lenses and not on the camera body - the body only records the light whilst the lens controls and directly affects the amount and quality of light that you have to work with as well as dictating the view you are able to get.

sig by shougo amakousa
    Quote Eris:

There are no rules. They are just words on a piece of paper.

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

O_o; the photo in your sig says it was taken with a canon rebel xti, not a nikon d80. At 1/80th of a second and f9.0 (and yes, 50mm)

As for the cameras, options are many, Canon or Nikon, you can't really go wrong. If you get a standard zoom (18/24-70/100) or so, you can use it for panning in most situations (other then bleachers at a car racing event), and get a fast prime (there is a 50 1.8 in every system i think). After that you can start looking at what sort of shooting you really are doing, and what you need for.

Also for panning shot with a 70 - 2/300 type lens, look into getting a monopod, they can help, without adding a lot of bulk.

Junior Member STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi has a reputation beyond repute STi's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

here the real shot before it was edited.

how do i know what settings are best for action shots? cuz i've heard alot of "you just gotta play with it..."

Senior Member overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Its still saying the same detials as in your sig - which confuses me as you said you took the shot with a (I assume borrowed) Nikon. Could it be that you got the name wrong??
    The angle of view in the original is looking a bit more like a 50mm though - and looking at the shot it looks like it was taken at a roadside or possibly from the inside of a car? However it was taken for a 50mm it was taken faily close to the other car - when at a sports event getting so close is not always an option thus longer lenses are much preferd (by both the amateur in the stands and the pros that can get closer to the action)

As for the best settings - there are guildlines as to where to start with them and I would strongly recomend getting hold of and reading both of these books (if you only read one photography book then read the second!)

The Digital Photography Book by Scot Kelby -- this is your starting book; its content is basic and is aimed at giving you at starting point with what settings to use in a variety of situations. Its not trying to explain the whys of those settings, just giving you an idea of where to start with - its good for the novice with very little to no experience

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson - this is your why book. This book goes into more detail about taking a shot (making an exposure) and explains the whys of settings and also how to use the cameras manual settings to be more creative when taking a photo and not just relying on the suggested "correct" settings.

In general sports demands a fast shutter speed to freeze the action and thus avoid blur.
    Last edited by overwatch; 12-29-2008 at 07:32 PM.

sig by shougo amakousa
    Quote Eris:

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

i prob did get the name wrong... i tried so many different cameras that day from nikons to canons to sony etc etc...

and yes it was taken from the side of the road, but im also looking to take shots from inside a moving car.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Trying them out is the best thing - with bodies generally offering very similar standards and with lenses being wide ranging (at least for Canon and Nikon - other companies have differing ranges of lenses and some are limited, but I can't say which ones) erganomics of design and use of a camera are a very key aspect.
    If you find the handling of one better than the other then go for it.

Shooting from inside a car is definatly possible - focusing might be tricky though. Also don't stick your camera out of the window - otherwise a lorry going the other way will take it right out of your hands

sig by shougo amakousa
    Quote Eris:

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

i found myself liking the nikons and i was told that a D80 would be a good starting point. What kind of gear would i need to get the shots i want, or does it all really just boil down to how you have the camera set up?

Member Gnosis is on a distinguished road Gnosis's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-11-2009 07:55 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by STi
    i found myself liking the nikons and i was told that a D80 would be a good starting point. What kind of gear would i need to get the shots i want, or does it all really just boil down to how you have the camera set up?
    To get a good telephoto lens that works well in low-lighting conditions (i.e. around F/2.8), you will need to spend at least over 1,000 USD. For example, the Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8g ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom lens is around 1600 USD on Amazon. The D80 is a great Camera, though it is a couple years old and, ergo, lacks features such as dust-reduction. I bought the Olympus 510 and I am just getting to learn the ropes of working with a DSLR (I am used to point-and-shoot). To get the shots you want, you will have to spend at least 2,000 USD.
    Любовь в тебе и во тне как опиум.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Gnosis View Post
    To get a good telephoto lens that works well in low-lighting conditions (i.e. around F/2.8), you will need to spend at least over 1,000 USD. For example, the Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8g ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom lens is around 1600 USD on Amazon. The D80 is a great Camera, though it is a couple years old and, ergo, lacks features such as dust-reduction. I bought the Olympus 510 and I am just getting to learn the ropes of working with a DSLR (I am used to point-and-shoot). To get the shots you want, you will have to spend at least 2,000 USD.
    yeah i know its a little old but the price is good and its good for what im gonna use it for.

Closed Thread

Thread Information