AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: hi..just one question..

Junior Member ophilia is on a distinguished road ophilia's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-30-2008 07:29 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Thumbs down hi..just one question..

hi..guys..girls
    i used to visit this forum and finally registered
    ok my question is i want to learn japanese language
    i know some words but want to start again
    so i want to ask from where should i start
    katakana or heragana or kanji?

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-25-2009 07:57 PM
    Threads

Of the three, you should start learning hiragana first, because it's the most widely used phonetic character set. After that, learn katakana, and then you can move on to kanji.

Slime forest is a rather nice game that can help you learn hiragana: http://lrnj.com/

Team Aki! -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-09-2013 12:09 AM
    Threads

As it says above. However, if you ask me "what" to start with to be able to learn Japanese in the more instant way is to understand Japanese language by listening. I just posted in a similar thread so I'm just gonna say the same thing here.

When I was a Japanese beginner, my teacher never gave any homework or reading out for the student to complete. Instead, he stood up for the whole 90 minutes of class time to talk about things in Japanese, such as introducing himself in Japanese, talk about the date like month, day, and year. He also asked each students basic questions in Japanese after a several lesson, such as "how old are you?" or "what colors do you like?", and we could guess what he is saying. It really helped me to learn quicker by getting used to communicating and understanding.

The most important thing in learning Japanese is understanding, rather than reading, writing, or speaking. When you go to Japan, you really need to understand what is that person saying. Speaking is optional as for foreigners, but the Japanese DO expect you to understand their language. As long as you can understand Japanese communications as the first thing in your lesson, I'm pretty sure nothing will challenge you.

I learned hiragana first after the listening part, which helped me a lot to remember how to write, because once you're used to the sounds, you're just fine in writing and remembering which symbol is which.

Anyway, just think about a baby that can't talk. Until the baby starts to learn how to speak the language, think of how the baby learn to say any words, by listening, right? The baby can't remember any symbols or to write it out. Listen more does help you to understand better.

Good luck to you^^
    Last edited by -akichan-; 10-30-2008 at 01:11 AM.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam has a reputation beyond repute Rinoa Iam's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-11-2008 12:18 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I agree with the two statements above. Communication is vital when learning a language, so getting a handle on the spoken language--or at least getting used to the sounds of it--is very important.

As for writing, I am also of the opinion that Hiragana ought to be learned first (this was how I did it). But here's another option: At the university I am studying at, they teach Katakana first. I asked my professor about this and told him how I'd read that learning Hiragana first was actually better. He explained that they teach Katakana to the students first because then they can start writing their names and borrowed English words in Japanese, using the language in an authentic way (as opposed to trying to write your name in Hiragana, which just doesn't fly with the Japanese language, lol).

So, while I think you should learn Hiragana first, I just thought I would throw in the argument for the other side in case you were considering that, LOL. Without a doubt, though, learn Hiragana AND Katakana before tackling Kanji. It will simply make your life a *little* easier when getting to that complicated stuff. ^_^

Ganbatte kudasai!
    「つれづれなる涙星になるまで 好きでいてもいいよね?」 - 米倉千尋

--日本語が間違えれば、知らせてお願いいたします!--

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

ok then... thank you all
    i agree with you all about lessoning to the language , am doing that now
    i used to lesson and understand some words and questions.
    now i learned how to say and write the numbers in japanese and find it easy
    and now moving to study the grammer rules in japanese sentences , and then will move to study the hiragana as u all said.
    and knowing some words in kanji is not that hard too,,,

thank u all again
    arigato

Team Aki! -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Actually, I can help with some kanji too, although I'm not totally a pro -.- but at least I'd feel happy by helping people <3

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

that is really great, i need your help and would be greatful if you help me
    by kanji words or what ever you know about this language

thanks alot akichan

Junior Member ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2008 08:35 PM
    Threads

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ophilia View Post
    that is really great, i need your help and would be greatful if you help me
    by kanji words or what ever you know about this language

thanks alot akichan
    I can be of some use here as well. Actually this is my first Japanese Class @ Rutgers University and I'm taking Japanese 101 (I am a senior). It is really comprehensive and quite challenging and makes you study allot. There is homework before the end of each class which really helps reinforce what you have learned in class and in the book, so when it comes time to take the test, you had practiced it already.

The professors here are all very worldy and well research. For example, my sensee is a native Japanese and lived in many countries, including China, Korea, Taiwan,etc.

The Material we are using is: Genki Textbooks.
    http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/index.en.html

It is very inexpensive and each lesson is pretty short but I have learned so so much! For example, before we started Lesson 1, we were already expected to read and write hiragana and already had a quiz on it prior to starting L1 in order to allow us to proceed. Then we moved to Katakana when we went on to the borrowed foreign words. In lesson 3 and beyond, we already started learning Kanji. Genki introduces you to the Kanji but in a very practical and well explained manner along with stroke order. The book gives you all four essential skills: Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking.

The Text Book has short lessons, and vocabulary, verbs, adjectives for each lesson. And short lessons on rules and it builds upon and with time you can construct more complicated sentences. It is just amazing! I can count to 999,999 and it didn't really require complex memorization just need to pay attention to some short rules about how they are pronounced. I can say the months, days, dates. Say time, etc, greetings, questions, how much, read numbers in Kanji.

All our tests are in Japanese so we are expected to comprehend them in Japanese and write them in Japanese. We also have to answer in Japanese. Also lots of homework lol! Its so much fun! I know there are allot of other material out there, but Genki helped so much.

Also this book on Mnemonics, Recommending "Kanji Pictographix by Rowley" Is very useful trying to memorize the hiragana and katakana.

Anyways hope this helped. PM me for anything. I am on Lesson 5 with Genki I. (Japanese 101).

Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Anyways hope this helped. PM me for anything. I am on Lesson 5 with Genki I. (Japanese 101).
    Japanese 101 and you know kanji already? Wow...interesting one. Normally Japanese 202 starts with kanji...o.o

Junior Member ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji has much to be proud of ryusan_daidouji's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2008 08:35 PM
    Threads

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by -akichan- View Post
    Japanese 101 and you know kanji already? Wow...interesting one. Normally Japanese 202 starts with kanji...o.o
    Ha ha ha. Genki is a wonderful course. ^.^ I'd recommend it. It's well known throughout the world.

Yes. Lesson 1 starts out forcing you to read hiragana. Then Lesson 2 is Katakana. lesson 3 and up introduces 10-15 Kanji. In lesson 3, Chinese Numbers are introduced:

we learned the character, how to write with them. as well as how to pronounce them. also what they mean. its neat ! ^.^

Then in Lesson 4, we learned
    kanji for days of the week, as well as 日本語 日本人 月
    下中上半 etc.

Lesson 5 we learned,
    山川元気天気今田女男見る行く食べる飲む

good stuff right? ^.^ still very basic. Genki also introduced several kanji for the hiragana but they are not required to memorize. Just those i mentioned above.

Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Learning kanji...First of all, you need to learn the meanings of each kanji characters, such like why is it written this way, and the strokes of writing it. Later on, you'll need to learn what we call writing Japanese with kanji.

Closed Thread

Thread Information