AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Religious bias in the classroom

Senior Member Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Gabumon Cylon Centurion
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2017 08:07 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Religious bias in the classroom

I am currently enrolled in a basic philosophy class. Our current reading is that of Lucretius' "The Nature of Things." After asking our opinions on it, one girl said to the professor that she hated it because it ranted on the "evils of religion" Well what about his theory on atoms? "He called religion evil!"

So fast forward to the next class, the professor asks us a simple question, "Is it possible to literally see the atomic structure of wheat?" Same girl, "Well, what about God, because he sees everything."

Honestly, you're not helping yourself or the discussion every time you bring up God. I'm not an atheist, but I honestly think that when it comes to the classroom, religion should be brought up as little as possible, and if possible not at all. By relying on "Well God..." as an answer defeats the purpose of you learning and answering questions. Do a little more thinking, it's not that hard.

Thoughts, opinions, hatred, all is welcome in this discussion.
    No power in the 'verse can stop me...

Senior Member Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-24-2012 05:15 AM
    Threads

It is like jumping from atop a cliff and expecting God to catch you;
    Irrelevant, unreliable, and extremely stupid.
    That which is; is the truth.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kajiwara View Post
    Don't listen to him. Jumping off cliffs so you can be caught by god is awesome. I'd go so far as to say that if you haven't jumped off a cliff to prove you believe in god, you are clearly going to hell. Just make sure you bring any and all kids you may or may not have when you do it, and remember that:

Matthew 17-20: And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

If your prayers can move mountains, then it would be incredibly easy for God to change the jagged rocks into a ball pit, or grant you the powers of flight.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

What-ho! SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-15-2009 05:11 AM
    Threads

If the professor wanted a discussion (which is usually what philosophy classes involve) then there is no reason that religion should not be brought up. If someone sees it as a valid point, then that point should be addressed and not just cast aside as irrelevant or unimportant.
    I can see how it could get annoying, but if this girl believes it is important then it is- just as important as everyone else's opinions.

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

If you were talking about, say, economics 101 or physical chemistry OK.

But you're in a freaking basic philosophy discussion class! And you're covering a text that specifically addresses religion! You shouldn't be trying to suppress someone bringing up their religion, you should be asking, I don't know, if their god being able to see the atomic structure of things matters to them at all or is it just that god must be able to do all things.

Or maybe for spicier debate just lay your cards on the table and say what you just posted here and see what happens.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SSDynamite View Post
    If the professor wanted a discussion (which is usually what philosophy classes involve) then there is no reason that religion should not be brought up. If someone sees it as a valid point, then that point should be addressed and not just cast aside as irrelevant or unimportant.
    I can see how it could get annoying, but if this girl believes it is important then it is- just as important as everyone else's opinions.
    Though, in this case, it doesn't seem like the girl in question is using sound reasoning, which makes what she is saying little more than unwanted noise.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Senior Member Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    If your prayers can move mountains, then it would be incredibly easy for God to change the jagged rocks into a ball pit, or grant you the powers of flight.
    This is more pointless than burning someone alive to prove they are human, and not a whitch.

Remember; "God does not use whitchcraft!" Did 'you-know-who' not teach you anything during his rants here?

Senior Member Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-14-2010 09:18 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I am currently enrolled in a basic philosophy class. Our current reading is that of Lucretius' "The Nature of Things." After asking our opinions on it, one girl said to the professor that she hated it because it ranted on the "evils of religion" Well what about his theory on atoms? "He called religion evil!"
    To some, religion may be considered evil. Look at the Crusades, the Iraqi Jihad, and other such battles and missions. These were set into motion because the gods of their designated religions supposedly "told" them to do it as if it were a divine battle decree. However, these ideas of their God(s) telling them this really messed up their minds and soon thereafter, they became religious zealots, fighting solely for the purpose of either convert or suffer by "God's Hand". This "God's Hand" is in the form of the zealot's weapons. Religious wars drive people into lunacy and madness.

So fast forward to the next class, the professor asks us a simple question, "Is it possible to literally see the atomic structure of wheat?" Same girl, "Well, what about God, because he sees everything."
    Since this is not a science-based question, I will only answer the "God" part. It sounds like this girl is a huge fan of her God. I don't know her religion so I can't say for sure. Were this the time of the Crusades, I think she would be either an advocate of her religion or one of the brutal zealots giving others of different religions an ultimatum of converting to her religion or dying.

Now getting onto the science bit, look at the Scopes Trial. It is evident that we evolved from primates. We were not created by God. She wants to bring up religion? Bring up science and evolution as a counter-argument.

Honestly, you're not helping yourself or the discussion every time you bring up God. I'm not an atheist, but I honestly think that when it comes to the classroom, religion should be brought up as little as possible, and if possible not at all. By relying on "Well God..." as an answer defeats the purpose of you learning and answering questions. Do a little more thinking, it's not that hard.
    If you have the time to say "Do a little more thinking." on here, shouldn't you be able to tell this girl the very same? The only time a god or set of gods should be mentioned is either when talking about different cultures or in school that teach about that country's major religion.

This is more pointless than burning someone alive to prove they are human, and not a witch.
    It was pretty cool how Buddhist monks immolated themselves alive as a demonstration though.
    Last edited by Dr. Hax; 09-24-2008 at 02:35 PM.

What-ho! SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite has a reputation beyond repute SSDynamite's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Though, in this case, it doesn't seem like the girl in question is using sound reasoning, which makes what she is saying little more than unwanted noise.
    Yes, what you say is true. But I mean in general. This person seems to be saying that religion should be talked about less in school... yet the point of a philosophy class is to pretty much discuss the questions and answers of the world and seeing as religion is a big issue which creates both questions and answers then there's no reason to cast those views aside.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Yes, what you say is true. But I mean in general. This person seems to be saying that religion should be talked about less in school... yet the point of a philosophy class is to pretty much discuss the questions and answers of the world and seeing as religion is a big issue which creates both questions and answers then there's no reason to cast those views aside.
    Religion should be talked about where religion is due. In this case, the person in question seems to want to make religion the only topic. In philosophy, it is important to examine different historical and contemporary viewpoints, and if you are going to throw a fit every time one of these viewpoints is going to differ from your own, you're going to interfere with the education.

kiseki no umi bizou is infamous around these parts bizou is infamous around these parts bizou is infamous around these parts bizou is infamous around these parts bizou is infamous around these parts bizou is infamous around these parts bizou is infamous around these parts bizou is infamous around these parts bizou is infamous around these parts bizou is infamous around these parts bizou is infamous around these parts bizou's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-26-2008 01:34 AM
    Threads

I think there should be a class in school completely devoted to theology. And any discussions about religion should be kept to that class and that class only.

Although this girl seems to want to attribute everything to God, she's erasing the point of learning anything. If she wants to talk about God all the time, advise her to go to a church rather than school. She'll function much better there.

Senior Member Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare has a reputation beyond repute Velvet_Nightmare's Avatar
    Gil
    Angry
    Gifts Purple Ribbon Gabumon Cylon Centurion
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-03-2017 08:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vine View Post
    I think there should be a class in school completely devoted to theology. And any discussions about religion should be kept to that class and that class only.

Although this girl seems to want to attribute everything to God, she's erasing the point of learning anything. If she wants to talk about God all the time, advise her to go to a church rather than school. She'll function much better there.
    I guess I should have mentioned I attend a Catholic university. Yeah, that's actually an important detail...
    No power in the 'verse can stop me...

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet_Nightmare View Post
    I guess I should have mentioned I attend a Catholic university. Yeah, that's actually an important detail...
    ....if that is the case then I assume these unlogical little outbreaks happen quite regularly, correct?

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Religion should be talked about where religion is due. In this case, the person in question seems to want to make religion the only topic. In philosophy, it is important to examine different historical and contemporary viewpoints, and if you are going to throw a fit every time one of these viewpoints is going to differ from your own, you're going to interfere with the education.
    Yes, I know what you mean. But I'm not trying to say religion should be talked about all the time- I'm just saying that when someone has a point it should be taken into consideration, regardless of whether it is to do with religion or not. Then, if someone disagrees then their argument can be put forward.
    Just like people shouldn't throw a fit if someone opposes their religious viewpoint, people shouldn't huff and puff every time someone mentions the big "G" word.

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

Then it's really your own fault that you are being offended. You are the minority, so deal with it. =3

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    If you were talking about, say, economics 101 or physical chemistry OK.

But you're in a freaking basic philosophy discussion class! And you're covering a text that specifically addresses religion! You shouldn't be trying to suppress someone bringing up their religion, you should be asking, I don't know, if their god being able to see the atomic structure of things matters to them at all or is it just that god must be able to do all things.

Or maybe for spicier debate just lay your cards on the table and say what you just posted here and see what happens.
    Parts of religion are philosophy. Like the Christian idea that you should ignore slights against you (not that anyone follows that) or the Buddhist idea of Karma (in practice. In theory not so much). But the parts that this person has brought up are not philosophical in the least. They are a baseless refutation, and mythology (or theology, your choice) respectively.

The person ignored the reason of a philosopher because they said something negative about their hypothetical cloud-man. You can disagree with any philosopher you want, but you shouldn't get butthurt about everything they say simply because they disagree with your beliefs. For example, I find Pascal to be extremely relevant on some issues, even though I think he's a raving nutter that should have been institutionalized due to some of his other musings (see: Pascal's Wager).

In the other case, what does it matter if Yahweh can see wheat molecules or not? It's about as relevant to the question as pondering how many angels could fit on the head of a pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajiwara
    This is more pointless than burning someone alive to prove they are human, and not a whitch.
    How is that pointless? Everyone knows witches burn because they are made of wood. Some would point out that people burn too, but that's proof of how crafty Satan is. This is why the decision to burn someone to death should only be done with the blessing of the Angry Mob. Plus, if they are actually a good Christian, they are going to heaven so you'd be doing them a favor.

Remember; "God does not use whitchcraft!" Did 'you-know-who' not teach you anything during his rants here?
    1. Yahweh is all powerful.
    2. The Bible says he will grant prayers, up to and including mountain moving.
    3. The Reverend Mavericker informed me that Yahweh has granted everyone, including myself, the powers of prophetic visions. I know I am correct that Yahweh will magic Christians so that they don't die from cliff-jumpings, so long as they call out to him and ask him to intercede on their behalf ( ) because Yahweh told me in a super secret vision, ergo I am correct.
    Last edited by Manhattan_Project_2000; 09-24-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

The Lich Sith Lord Overlord Darth Fluffles has a reputation beyond repute Overlord Darth Fluffles has a reputation beyond repute Overlord Darth Fluffles has a reputation beyond repute Overlord Darth Fluffles has a reputation beyond repute Overlord Darth Fluffles has a reputation beyond repute Overlord Darth Fluffles has a reputation beyond repute Overlord Darth Fluffles has a reputation beyond repute Overlord Darth Fluffles has a reputation beyond repute Overlord Darth Fluffles has a reputation beyond repute Overlord Darth Fluffles has a reputation beyond repute Overlord Darth Fluffles has a reputation beyond repute Overlord Darth Fluffles's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-30-2010 01:20 PM
    Threads

Yes, I know what you mean. But I'm not trying to say religion should be talked about all the time- I'm just saying that when someone has a point it should be taken into consideration, regardless of whether it is to do with religion or not. Then, if someone disagrees then their argument can be put forward.
    Just like people shouldn't throw a fit if someone opposes their religious viewpoint, people shouldn't huff and puff every time someone mentions the big "G" word.
    Hearing you and Eris's discussion, I thought I'd make an imput. I agree with both of you to a degree, I'm with Eris when she said the girl lacked a sound reasoning and just basically went on to assume there is a God. I also am in a Philosophy class, every time "God" is mentioned, "Well, if God were to" basically stating it in a way to where no one makes claims s/he is there or not (Even the people in my class who are religious). So making the assumption s/he is there is as what Eris described as "Unwanted noise"

However, I do agree with your view that their thought should be taken into consideration to provide an arguement back. Despite how annoying it can get, and bothersome, I'll agree into what you've had to say.

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

I didn't know we were allowed to cite the Reverend Mavericker here. I thought we were trying to avoid making him a martyr for the cause, since his views are so vehemently opposed by the bible.

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Capernicus View Post
    I didn't know we were allowed to cite the Reverend Mavericker here. I thought we were trying to avoid making him a martyr for the cause, since his views are so vehemently opposed by the bible.
    He received visions directly from god that told him he was right. I mean, who are you going to believe? The infallible Word of God as put in the Bible, or the infallibler Word of God beamed into your head when no one's looking? Certainly it's easier then trying to decide what's correct when the infallible Words of God in the Bible don't agree with other infallible Words of God also present in the very same Bible.

Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

The lonely wolf Howling Star has a reputation beyond repute Howling Star has a reputation beyond repute Howling Star has a reputation beyond repute Howling Star has a reputation beyond repute Howling Star has a reputation beyond repute Howling Star has a reputation beyond repute Howling Star has a reputation beyond repute Howling Star has a reputation beyond repute Howling Star has a reputation beyond repute Howling Star has a reputation beyond repute Howling Star has a reputation beyond repute Howling Star's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-09-2020 02:43 PM
    Threads

Well The Mavericker is gonna hate me for this. But I thought it was funny to make my six hunderd sixty six'th post here. Muhahaha

I am religious for a bit not to much but a bit. I looked at it like this. A you can say I don't believe B you can try it for a while. It's not like your having a contract etc xd.

Super Assome! Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon has a reputation beyond repute Dxon's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-31-2009 02:10 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kajiwara View Post
    Well that pretty much sums it all up.

I'm atheïst.

Message from me:

Internizzle serizzle bizzle
    AF family:
    - Temperance: Raccoon Pet. xD
    - Kitsune~girl: Sister :3

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

But this person isn't making a point. S/he's being disruptive. What s/he's doing is somewhat similar to classical skepticism. Whenever the classic skeptics saw someone discussing something, they ran up to them and bombarded them with the question "But how do you know that?" When they answered, they asked the same question, and kept at it ad nauseum. While the point of that exercise (vicious infinite regress) is that knowledge itself is impossible, once you come to that conclusion, you have to move on.

You can use the existence of a god to prove anything -- no matter how ridiculous, which may be a relevant point in itself (see Descartes' device "deus deceptor"), but not inherently so. What the person is doing is making this point over and over again, not really contributing anything meaningful to the discussion causing disruption rather than insight.
    Last edited by Eris; 09-24-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Vikky's #1 slave WolfShot has a reputation beyond repute WolfShot has a reputation beyond repute WolfShot has a reputation beyond repute WolfShot has a reputation beyond repute WolfShot has a reputation beyond repute WolfShot has a reputation beyond repute WolfShot has a reputation beyond repute WolfShot has a reputation beyond repute WolfShot has a reputation beyond repute WolfShot has a reputation beyond repute WolfShot has a reputation beyond repute WolfShot's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-30-2009 03:29 AM
    Threads

In my honest opinion, religion is something that should be avoided in school. Seeing to the fact that many different ethnicities of many different religions attend school. I'm an Agnostic, so religion isn't really important to me but still. Religion is a rather touchy subject, since there are die-hard religious people around.
    '' A being that inherits the shape of a Wolf, but retains the mind of a man. Who can switch between the form of a man or beast at a moments' notice... He got the best of two worlds. Better be afraid... Cause he'll either tear your throat out...Or shoot you.''

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowShot View Post
    In my honest opinion, religion is something that should be avoided in school. Seeing to the fact that many different ethnicities of many different religions attend school. I'm an Agnostic, so religion isn't really important to me but still. Religion is a rather touchy subject, since there are die-hard religious people around.
    I can't see a better reason to discuss religion in school. Naturally, it needs to be done on an abstract level, but simply leaving it alone will allow fundamentalism and other venomous ideas to fester causing trouble in the future. Much the same way fascism needs to be discussed in school.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowShot View Post
    I think it depends on what school you go to. I go to a catholic school and it's compulsory for me to take RE (religious education) all the way up to my final year. For me, it's taught me far more valuable things than all the other lessons have put together over the years I have been at that school. But I've not been taught that "God exists, Catholicism is the right way to be." I have been taught "Some people believe that God exists and catholics believe that their religion is the only fully true religion." along with aspects of other religions and a whole other load of things such as how religion (not just Catholicism) is portrayed in the media.
    So what I'm trying to say is teaching religion is teaching people about these 'die-hard religious people' and their beliefs and the arguments for and against these beliefs.

But this person isn't making a point. S/he's being disruptive. What s/he's doing is somewhat similar to classical skepticism. Whenever the classic skeptics saw someone discussing something, they ran up to them and bombarded them with the question "But how do you know that?" When they answered, they asked the same question, and kept at it ad nauseum. While the point of that exercise (vicious infinite regress) is that knowledge itself is impossible, once you come to that conclusion, you have to move on.

You can use the existence of a god to prove anything -- no matter how ridiculous, which may be a relevant point in itself (see Descartes' device "deus deceptor"), but not inherently so. What the person is doing is making this point over and over again, not really contributing anything meaningful to the discussion causing disruption rather than insight.
    Yes, you're right. But surely there are the people who say "But why don't you believe that?" to the people who ask "But how do you know that?" ?
    So there always going to be people who question or disagree with your opinion/beliefs. So shouldn't we accept that that is their belief and if necessary argue our own case?

Closed Thread

Thread Information