AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Views on the War

Member broken_white_roses has a reputation beyond repute broken_white_roses has a reputation beyond repute broken_white_roses has a reputation beyond repute broken_white_roses has a reputation beyond repute broken_white_roses has a reputation beyond repute broken_white_roses has a reputation beyond repute broken_white_roses has a reputation beyond repute broken_white_roses has a reputation beyond repute broken_white_roses has a reputation beyond repute broken_white_roses has a reputation beyond repute broken_white_roses has a reputation beyond repute broken_white_roses's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-29-2008 07:07 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Views on the War

Just out of curiosity, what are your views on the war in Iraq? Did America have any right to invade in the first place? What are the pros and cons of the war? What should be done now?

Personally I feel that America wanted so badly to retaliate against the terrorists for 9/11 that we invaded without a second thought. Personally, that was 7 years ago(not to down play the tragedy in the least) and we arent there based on any priciple anymore. We have tried to help the Iraqi(sp?) people with their government, and still they revert back to senseless killing. So whats the poin? If they wanted our help, they would ask for it. Its all about money and oil now. Not to mention the fact that gas prices are sky rocketing because all of our tanks, etc. are sucking up our fuel. We went into this war with a purpose and principles and have come out with the death of thousands and debt. So whats the point of continuing? I think our soldiers have done a great service to our country but now its time to come home.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by broken_white_roses View Post
    Did America have any right to invade in the first place?
    According to international law? No. But on the other hand, international law is pretty much bogus. The war in Iraq and Russia's actions in Georgia are beautiful examples of this. It is what you use to justify killing the leaders of the losing party of a war, often for breaking laws that were invented after they committed their "crimes".

See the WWII aftermath, especially the Nuremberg trials, but also what happened in Japan. To sum things up: In war, every party makes atrocities, but only the losers pay for them.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Senior Member sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside has a reputation beyond repute sunnyside's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pocket Watch Katana Ice Cream
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2019 09:03 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Afganistan was a reasonable war.

Iraq we really didn't have a solid enough reason.

Our invasion wasn't exactly in agreement with international law. But, and I'm forgetting where it is, but we've got a law that says we don't have to obey international law.

However things in Iraq are finally looking like they're working out. Much of the country is already turned over to Iraqi forces, and the Iraq government worked out a arrangement with the Bush administration on a rough timetable for withdrawing. This means Obama and McCains plans aren't all that different anymore. The big difference being if stuff flared up again McCain would stay while Obama would continue pulling out.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    Our invasion wasn't exactly in agreement with international law. But, and I'm forgetting where it is, but we've got a law that says we don't have to obey international law.
    That's not it. The US is a permanent member of the UN Security Council, which makes UN sanctions against the US virtually impossible, since as far as I understand it, the US can veto against any UN sanctions against the US. Same goes for Russia, China, France and England. Then UN is toothless and hypocritical when it comes to war. It's not that the US is immune to international law, it's that the US can effectively choose to which nations it applies. The General Assembly can overrule the Security Council if things go all too far and implement international law against the US, but it has to be pretty big for that to happen.
    Last edited by Eris; 09-19-2008 at 02:34 PM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Senior Member +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+'s Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-07-2011 08:02 AM
    Threads

I can say as n' honest American, tha' t' war is absoulutely stuuupid. We're dranin money into it an' I'm bloody well sick of it! Cant they see how dumb it is t' throw lives away and spend billions on an unwinnable war? I be marooned in this country, someone please rescue me afore I use me one shot.

Fatal Frame II

Because Friendship is MAGIC!

Senior Member Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-24-2012 05:15 AM
    Threads

If you ask for my opinion the higher-ups, notably George Bush, is getting too cocky for his own good regarding recent incidents with both this "Second Gulf War" and the situation with Georgia and Russia.

If they are going to go around thinking they are the "greatest power of the world" then I for one think it will, quite literally, blow up in their faces. It will end up like another Vietnam, and even that was not even too long ago. Bush should remember that he is no Margaret Thatcher.. or better still, Winston Churchill. They are starting to get cocky with Russia too, and the UK will no doubt have to involve themselves in everything they do too, thanks to WWII.
    That which is; is the truth.

Senior Member +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+ has a reputation beyond repute +Namiko+'s Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-07-2011 08:02 AM
    Threads

Like I said,

RESCUE ME FROM THESE IDIOTS! I WANNA BE IN THE UK OR CANADA OR AUSTRALIA OR JAPAN OR ANYWHERE BUT HERE!!!!!

*crying* My Presidents a loooony!

Fatal Frame II

Because Friendship is MAGIC!

Closed Thread

Thread Information