AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why do you play a game

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Graphics

5 7.04%
  • Plot

25 35.21%
  • Friends/Family suggestion

3 4.23%
  • Saga you like

7 9.86%
  • other (explain)

31 43.66%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why do you play the games you do?

Tis not male! drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney has a reputation beyond repute drm0ney's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-24-2009 01:26 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    I live happily in a house with my family. (6 animals)
    Threads

Default Why do you play the games you do?

Um i hope the title makes sense. More or less what makes you play some games and not others.

But yeah. Do you go for
    graphics?
    Plot?
    Friend/family suggestion?
    It's a saga you like
    other (explain)

I'm a plot person.
    Only fools accept the obvious and go no farther.
    Common sense isn't so common anymore.
    "I'll follow you everywhere you go in my oh-so-inconspicuous bright red car and convince myself you don't notice."
    4// Itchy. Tasty.

Senior Member Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-14-2010 09:18 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

In some aspects, I go for as much gore and violence as I can handle. A little adult content doesn't hurt either. A cat is fine too. Puzzles are my source of win though.

Senior Member Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat has a reputation beyond repute Dogmat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-04-2010 12:06 AM
    Threads

Plot and gameplay. I love RPGs and tactical shooters. Probably why my two favorite games are FFVII and Metal Gear Solid 4. Both had amazing story and gameplay.

As for graphics, good graphics are really nice but don't always make a perfect game.

Senior Member BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom has a reputation beyond repute BoldMushroom's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-02-2013 05:02 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ask me for it Steam ID: askmeforit

Fun?

Innovation. Games that let me do or experience something new and interesting. Katamari Damacy is a good example. The hallucinations from Eternal Darkness are another. The combat system in The World Ends With You is another. I also like games with interesting universes, like Shadow of the Colossus and Killer 7, for largely the same reason.

I like games that have a lot of sidequests, things to collect, tasks to accomplish. I also like games that let you take something fairly weak and build it up to immense strengths, or where you can improve various skills and statistics. Games like the Symphony of the Night-style Castlevania games are like this; so is the game Contact for the DS. I've always enjoyed Star Ocean for that reason, too. Despite this, I've never warmed up to most MMORPGs.

I'm starting to warm up to games with good plots, though I'm finding that there is a sore lack of them. I think The Darkness was the last game I played with a really interesting plot.

I like games with a lot of exploration and freedom. One of the things I liked about The Darkness it was that even though the game had objectives and missions, it wasn't a linear set of levels, and the cityscape could be explored at the player's whim. It felt similar to Deus Ex in that sense. There wasn't a whole lot to do, or many rewards to reap from exploring, which was disappointing. But it was a fun freedom to have.

Same goes for Shadow of the Colossus. Exploration in that game is pretty exhilarating, though again, a lack of things to do and things to collect is sort of disappointing. It adds to the lonely mood of the game, I guess, but loneliness is a mood that I play video games to get away from, not to experience. (It is sort of ironic to play single-player games to escape loneliness, though.)

I play games for a lot of different reasons, though. Sometimes games that have a really loose, frantic feel like Shadow of the Colossus are fun in their chaos, but I also love Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War for having fluid, seamless, rock-solid gameplay. Those two games can also offer an enthralling challenge, but sometimes I like the cathartic feeling of easier games like Katamari Damacy or Dead Rising or even Bioshock.
    Last edited by BoldMushroom; 09-18-2008 at 10:59 PM.
    Get some exercise this summer and raise money to fight disease. Find a free charity walk in your area:
    AIDS Walk | Walk to Defeat ALS | Walk MS | Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
    Light The Night for Leukemia & Lymphona | Great Strides for Cystic Fibrosis

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Being a white magician.There is no other reason.

Senior Member Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax has a reputation beyond repute Dr. Hax's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
    Being a white magician.There is no other reason.
    Playing the medic/undead killer, huh?

I admire that considering I use a Monk with a Warrior subjob.

Benefits: Max HP Boost, Strength Boost, Increased chance for critical hits, Increased Evasion. Those are all with higher levels though.

That baby's my tank. I could use a medic any day. I think you and I might get along in the same game.

Senior Member Zombiliciouss has a reputation beyond repute Zombiliciouss has a reputation beyond repute Zombiliciouss has a reputation beyond repute Zombiliciouss has a reputation beyond repute Zombiliciouss has a reputation beyond repute Zombiliciouss has a reputation beyond repute Zombiliciouss has a reputation beyond repute Zombiliciouss has a reputation beyond repute Zombiliciouss has a reputation beyond repute Zombiliciouss has a reputation beyond repute Zombiliciouss has a reputation beyond repute Zombiliciouss's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-08-2009 09:34 PM
    Threads

Um... their fun. Seriously; the only game I played for a reason beyond "I enjoy it" is Tales of Symphonia. The story was amazing >.>

And Final Fantasy 7

Steam ID: Zombilicious

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hanai_Sempai View Post
    Playing the medic/undead killer, huh?

I admire that considering I use a Monk with a Warrior subjob.

Benefits: Max HP Boost, Strength Boost, Increased chance for critical hits, Increased Evasion. Those are all with higher levels though.

That baby's my tank. I could use a medic any day. I think you and I might get along in the same game.
    We could, but to be fair in an RPG I would be the guy that halps you get to the bar and get info from the guy that really matters.

AF's resident Crazy Cat Lady Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf has a reputation beyond repute Bulf's Avatar
    Starving
    Gifts Mario Bowser Shell Mario Bob-omb Mario Blue Shell
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-22-2014 12:38 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CaptainEllipsis Steam ID: CaptainEllipsis Wii Code: 2388 1485 3012 2739

When I play a game It's usually just a randomly brought game that turns out to be fun.

Gil
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
    We could, but to be fair in an RPG I would be the guy that halps you get to the bar and get info from the guy that really matters.
    Heh, yeah. Only thing is that in some of my games, that guy wants to kill you halfway though the later levels.

Senior Member Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu has a reputation beyond repute Brojasu's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-08-2010 02:58 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: i have 1 but idk it

usually story and gameplay, but theres a certain series that i I buy games in just cuz its in that series (and I want bragging rights about beating it before my friends :P) called Megaman X (X, Xtreme, Zero, ZX, any as long as its in the X series.... I don't care as much for megaman and could care less about that crap battle network XD)

We are Nemesis Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk has a reputation beyond repute Drifter Uk's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-23-2009 01:52 PM
    Threads

because theyre either fun, have a good plot or becasue its part of a series.
    some i buy because they look like the sort of stuf id enjoy, like ninja gaiden...

Senior Member Andy-X has a reputation beyond repute Andy-X has a reputation beyond repute Andy-X has a reputation beyond repute Andy-X has a reputation beyond repute Andy-X has a reputation beyond repute Andy-X has a reputation beyond repute Andy-X has a reputation beyond repute Andy-X has a reputation beyond repute Andy-X has a reputation beyond repute Andy-X has a reputation beyond repute Andy-X has a reputation beyond repute Andy-X's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-31-2010 07:38 PM
    Threads

good graphics to play on Xbox360 live.makes it more fun.
    Last edited by Andy-X; 09-19-2008 at 09:52 AM.
    CODE OF KARATE
    A person's heart is the same as heaven and Earth

The blood circulating is similer to the moon and sun

A manner of drinking and spitting is either hard or soft

A person's unbalance is the same as a weight

The body should be able to change direction at any time

The time to srike is when opportunity presents itself

The eye must see all sides

The ear must listen in all directions

Tireless Wanderer Lord Tsukuyomi has a reputation beyond repute Lord Tsukuyomi has a reputation beyond repute Lord Tsukuyomi has a reputation beyond repute Lord Tsukuyomi has a reputation beyond repute Lord Tsukuyomi has a reputation beyond repute Lord Tsukuyomi has a reputation beyond repute Lord Tsukuyomi has a reputation beyond repute Lord Tsukuyomi has a reputation beyond repute Lord Tsukuyomi has a reputation beyond repute Lord Tsukuyomi has a reputation beyond repute Lord Tsukuyomi has a reputation beyond repute Lord Tsukuyomi's Avatar
    Gil
    Asleep
    Gifts Soccer Ball
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-25-2012 11:40 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Tsukuyomi00

I like a game with a good story. Thats why my game library is mostly RPG's

Member Yuki's girl has a reputation beyond repute Yuki's girl has a reputation beyond repute Yuki's girl has a reputation beyond repute Yuki's girl has a reputation beyond repute Yuki's girl has a reputation beyond repute Yuki's girl has a reputation beyond repute Yuki's girl has a reputation beyond repute Yuki's girl has a reputation beyond repute Yuki's girl has a reputation beyond repute Yuki's girl has a reputation beyond repute Yuki's girl has a reputation beyond repute Yuki's girl's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-14-2008 07:40 AM
    Threads

I chose other, because I play games that just get me addicted to them. Harvest Moon is an addictive game, and I love to play it.

SES Member Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie has a reputation beyond repute Haoie's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-16-2017 05:34 AM
    Threads

I play to kill time. Does that count?
    If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.

Senior Member jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives has a reputation beyond repute jtdlives's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-28-2010 06:38 PM
    Threads

I love a good rpg that has good graphics and a good plot. The Zelda games are my favorite. I also like a good fighting game to.

Junior Member GaijinPunch is on a distinguished road GaijinPunch's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-30-2008 12:48 AM
    Threads

I'm married w/ a kid. I have very little time for games, except for ones that can be played in short bursts. Thus, I stick to arcade games for the most part. RPGs are a thing of my past, although I try one every now and again.

Senior Member UCantTameMe has a reputation beyond repute UCantTameMe has a reputation beyond repute UCantTameMe has a reputation beyond repute UCantTameMe has a reputation beyond repute UCantTameMe has a reputation beyond repute UCantTameMe has a reputation beyond repute UCantTameMe has a reputation beyond repute UCantTameMe has a reputation beyond repute UCantTameMe has a reputation beyond repute UCantTameMe has a reputation beyond repute UCantTameMe has a reputation beyond repute UCantTameMe's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-14-2008 07:30 AM
    U dont need to know cause you might be a STALKERRRR
    Threads

idk why but i like games that are rpg or like Legend of Zelda
    *No Siggy yet!*

Old and Cranky Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall has a reputation beyond repute Rem Nightfall's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-17-2009 11:44 PM
    Threads

I play games for the whole package, does it look good, does it feel good, is the story something I like, the characters.
    For me its the whole package and it has to be fun. If it isn't fun I'll be mad.

Wedding is in October. And I'm going to be a dad. Super excited.

Senior Member goddragon has much to be proud of goddragon has much to be proud of goddragon has much to be proud of goddragon has much to be proud of goddragon has much to be proud of goddragon has much to be proud of goddragon has much to be proud of goddragon has much to be proud of goddragon has much to be proud of goddragon has much to be proud of goddragon's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-07-2010 09:27 PM
    Threads

I play so that I can get my anger out and not hurt anyone. Also because it's fun.

Senior Member Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II has a reputation beyond repute Amray The II's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-24-2012 05:15 AM
    Threads

I play the games I do obviously because I have taken a liking to them.

The graphics of a game will not bother me in the slightest, therefore it is the plot and the actual gameplay and also the genre of a game that will attract me to that game. If it is a random battle, turn-based RPG then I will most likely purchase it or atleast try it. If it is a point and click, detecting, adventure game then, again, I will most likely purchase it. 2nd Dimensional, 3rd Dimensional..I could not care less. As long as the cast, the plot and genre, and also the gameplay itself are all quality then I will like it for those reasons.
    That which is; is the truth.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The plot and overall depth of the game. No matter what a large chunk of the gaming industry seems to think, a game is not something you can mass produce on a recipe and expect to get good games. This is why all movie spin off games suck.

A great game is a work of art. And I don't mean it looks pretty, in fact, some of the greatest games ever created use relatively crude graphics by today's standards. Excellent examples are Fallout, Broken Sword, The Longest Journey, Deus Ex, etc.

Pretty graphics become obsolete fast as hell, but a good story remains.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Bring Trent The Horizon Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon has a reputation beyond repute Bring Me The Horizon's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-23-2009 01:25 PM
    Northampton,Massachusetts,Williston Boarding School
    Threads

I play games cause they seem interesting and its nice to have something to do besides real life every now and then cause that game gets boring sometimes XD
    Oli Syckes=Sexy Beast

Junior Member Angeltsuki has a reputation beyond repute Angeltsuki has a reputation beyond repute Angeltsuki has a reputation beyond repute Angeltsuki has a reputation beyond repute Angeltsuki has a reputation beyond repute Angeltsuki has a reputation beyond repute Angeltsuki has a reputation beyond repute Angeltsuki has a reputation beyond repute Angeltsuki has a reputation beyond repute Angeltsuki has a reputation beyond repute Angeltsuki has a reputation beyond repute Angeltsuki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-29-2008 02:22 PM
    Threads

I'm a Bish person. I play Games for the Bishies or because my friends have suggested it. Go JAK AND DAXTER!!!
    Sig made by twilightdreams

CLick me!!
    [br]Feed Me![br]Adopted from Valenth

Closed Thread

Thread Information