AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Rate this anime

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll

69 63.30%

21 19.27%

9 8.26%

3 2.75%

0 0%

2 1.83%

1 0.92%

0 0%

0 0%

4 3.67%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [TV Series] Clannad

Senior Member gd0929918 has a reputation beyond repute gd0929918 has a reputation beyond repute gd0929918 has a reputation beyond repute gd0929918 has a reputation beyond repute gd0929918 has a reputation beyond repute gd0929918 has a reputation beyond repute gd0929918 has a reputation beyond repute gd0929918 has a reputation beyond repute gd0929918 has a reputation beyond repute gd0929918 has a reputation beyond repute gd0929918 has a reputation beyond repute gd0929918's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-24-2009 02:42 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default [TV Series] Clannad

Type:
    TV series - 24 episodes + 2 specials (not OVA's) (there's also a movie, but i'm not including it in here)
    Genre: Drama, Comedy, Supernatural, Romance

Plot synopsis
    Clannad is set in a high-school located in some Japanese town. Okazaki Tomoya is a third-year student who doesn`t take his studies seriously. Always late for class, he`s seen as a delinquent by the rest of his classmates who are busy preparing for their entrance examinations. Needless to say, he hasn`t too many close friends either.
    Tomoya seems not to mind too - until one day he meets a girl, Furukawa Nagisa, who is left alone without friends on this school, because everybody she knew already graduated. What a clumsy girl, he thinks at first. But he can`t leave her alone and so, while helping her, he meets a few other girls from his school. Although he doesn`t care much about them at first, he soon opens his heart to them as they get to know each other better.

Story (8/10)
    The first half of the series was actually quite a weird story... But after Fuko's story arc is finished, it starts to go into the more serious part of the story. I thought it was really well done by doing that, even if it did seem to drag on just a little bit in a couple of episodes.

Characters (8/10)
    I really wish they had shown more of the twins together. For some reason they reminded me a lot of Tsukasa and Kagami from Lucky Star (I honestly don't know why even).
    But the main stars, Okazaki and Furukawa really make this show a beautiful romance.
    Not to mention her parents are so awesome.

Art/animation (10/10)
    OMG, probably one of the most beautiful art styles of any anime I've seen so far. It really makes it seem like a much more mature romance show simply because of it, while still maintaining that stylized "teenage romance" side.

Voice acting, music (9/10)
    Really well done. The music was amazing, the voice talents felt (sounded?) so natural, and there really isnt a whole lot else to say about this.

Overall (9/10)
    WATCH IT.
    That was the only thing i knew about it going in. It was given to me without an explanation of the story or anything, except to watch it. The only reason I'm not giving this a 10/10 is because there isn't enough Fuko in the last half to satisfy me.
    If it just tastes sweet
    Let's put some salt on it

2. Likes Maiku12 liked this post
    Junior Member Lenwë has a reputation beyond repute Lenwë has a reputation beyond repute Lenwë has a reputation beyond repute Lenwë has a reputation beyond repute Lenwë has a reputation beyond repute Lenwë has a reputation beyond repute Lenwë has a reputation beyond repute Lenwë has a reputation beyond repute Lenwë has a reputation beyond repute Lenwë has a reputation beyond repute Lenwë has a reputation beyond repute Lenwë's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-09-2009 01:19 AM
    Threads

Story (9/10)
    The main story is focused on Tomoya helping Nagisa trying to open again the Drama Club but in the meantime 3 other "plots" occur, first helping Fuko giving away starfish made of wood to everyone in the institute so they can assist to her sister's wedding, then helping Kotomi making friends and forget her past & the final one is the Fujibayashi sisters and Tomoyo feelings towards Tomoya.

Characters (9/10)
    Every character has it's little angel and eventually you will develop some feelings for one or two character's, maybe the only character that doesn't fit very well into the environment/story is Fuko and her story definitely takes a lot of episodes that maybe could have been used to develop more the friendship between all the characters.

Art/Animation (10/10)
    This anime is enjoyable on native high resolution, it has a lot of details and characters are well made definitely a joy for the eyes, the characters really feel alive and even the background one's are well made.

Voice Acting, Music (10/10)
    Voices are well syncrhonized and match what you see on screen, you really feel the joy or the sadness in the voice and the drawings, the intro and ending are enjoyable and I enjoyed both of them.

Overall (10/10)
    Definitely worth watching, you will laugh and cry on some episodes, the OVA's are worth and one of them gives the possibility for an alternate space/plot that will probably work too and after watching the movie you will probably want a movie based on that alternate plot.

Senior Member BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen has a reputation beyond repute BDNguyen's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-21-2009 11:29 AM
    Threads

Story (8/10)
    Slow but steady. I like how this series focuses on specific characters then going back to the original plot, Tomoya helping Nagisa with the drama club.

Characters (10/10)
    The characters are simply precious. There is something unique about each of them and one can actually develop affection for the character. Sometimes you hope you will see a certain character that you're especially fond of.

Art/animation (10/10)
    The animation is smooth and the art style is very nice, as expected of Kyoto Animation.

Voice acting, music (9/10)
    The voice actors really put feeling into their roles and the composed music had deep emotion suitable for a romance and drama setting.

Overall (9.25/10)
    Brilliant piece of work, horribly underrated, and kudos to Key and Kyoto Animation.

Member NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2009 08:15 PM
    Threads

Story (7/10)
    The story was given an seven (7), because of the several unnessecary episodes. Most of the episodes, just had the typical romance anime plots, where girl-meets-boy-and-they-talk-or-cry. I did however, like the girl living in an alternative dimension Earth along with a robot. Some people seemed to hate that part, but, in my opinion, it was the part that made the series good. And, the only thing I enjoyed in the "real" parts, was the comedy showed by Okazaki, and the kindess showed by Nagisa.
    Characters (9/10)
    The characters are pretty well designed/made. Okazaki, as a delinquent, started to meet Nagisa. And he started changing, or he changed himself. That is a really good improvement, in my opinion. BUT, some of the supporting characters, are just those typical sidekicks or those typical has-crush-on-main-character.
    Art/animation (8/10)
    The art was flawless. But, at some points in the anime, it seemed as if it was the worst animation ever. But, that could also depend on the quality of the video. May it be in HD or may it be in those raw videos.
    Voice acting, music (10/10)
    This would actually be a one word answer, but, I'll still say more than a word. Excellent. All the voices match the characters. In some anime, characters NEVER match their own voices. For E.g: Sakai Yuuji from Shakugan no Shana.
    Overall (10/10)
    All in all, this anime was pretty funny at some points, along with some pretty depressing and teary moments.
    I totally recommend it to anyone who likes Romance/Drama.

Member NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL is infamous around these parts NightL's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2009 08:15 PM
    Threads

Story (7/10)
    The story was given an seven (7), because of the several unnessecary episodes. Most of the episodes, just had the typical romance anime plots, where girl-meets-boy-and-they-talk-or-cry. I did however, like the girl living in an alternative dimension Earth along with a robot. Some people seemed to hate that part, but, in my opinion, it was the part that made the series good. And, the only thing I enjoyed in the "real" parts, was the comedy showed by Okazaki, and the kindess showed by Nagisa.

Characters (9/10)
    The characters are pretty well designed/made. Okazaki, as a delinquent, started to meet Nagisa. And he started changing, or he changed himself. That is a really good improvement, in my opinion. BUT, some of the supporting characters, are just those typical sidekicks or those typical has-crush-on-main-character.

Art/animation (8/10)
    The art was flawless. But, at some points in the anime, it seemed as if it was the worst animation ever. But, that could also depend on the quality of the video. May it be in HD or may it be in those raw videos.

This would actually be a one word answer, but, I'll still say more than a word. Excellent. All the voices match the characters. In some anime, characters NEVER match their own voices. For E.g: Sakai Yuuji from Shakugan no Shana.

Overall (10/10)
    All in all, this anime was pretty funny at some points, along with some pretty depressing and teary moments.
    I totally recommend it to anyone who likes Romance/Drama.

Junior Member Sakurei is on a distinguished road Sakurei's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-21-2009 02:22 PM
    Threads

Story (10/10)
    i really like the mix of comedy and romance as well as the "splitted" plot, that was devived in the main story and 3 branches, 1. branch was the fuuko arc, in which tomoya and nagisa are distributing fuuko's starfishes, the 2nd was kotomi, who's had no friends until tomoya arrives and helps her to get some and the last was the tomoyo and twin arc, which centers about their feelings toward tomoya

Characters (10/10)
    i really like all character very much, tomoya who's always taunting sunohara and fuuko, kyou who's worried about her pig and beating sunohara up when he's just touching it, kotomi who absolutely cant play the violine, yet she always tries, fuuko who tinks she's mature, yet she is pretty childish, tomoyo (my absolute favorite) who is always there if sunohara needs a good beating, nagisa who is always trying to give her best, the shy ryou who cant confess, and of course nagisa's parents, who are just hilarious

Art/Animation (10/10)
    the Art is just beautiful, I've rarily seen an artwork this beautiful, it's seems mature yet it isnt overdone really one of the most beautiful animations ive ever seen.

Audio (9/10)
    the voice acting itself was very well done, the feelings the characters are feeling are clear, you can kinda feel it too. but i didnt really like the ending of clannad and the opening was rather average as well

Overall (10/10)
    Overall clannad is an absolute masterpiece, ive really seen a lot, but clannad is definitely one of my top 3, it's very hard to surpass clannad in my opinion. absolutely a mustwatch for every comedy/romance fan

Senior Member agiup is infamous around these parts agiup's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-26-2009 10:38 PM
    Threads

Story (10/10)
    so romantic and heart touching story..... i also love the comedy parts.... this story really get me inspired!

Characters (10/10)
    the characters here cute especially the girls, i love them... how i wish i could meet someone like them in real life.. hehe..
    the characters here have different traits here and a funny attitude.

Art/Animation (10/10)
    the animation is cool, especially when they used a romantic settings, it really gets me to a romantic mood.

Audio (10/10)
    the voice are all cute especially the girls voice.. they got the perfect rhythm

Overall (10/10)
    one word "PERFECT"

Member RanChii has a reputation beyond repute RanChii has a reputation beyond repute RanChii has a reputation beyond repute RanChii has a reputation beyond repute RanChii has a reputation beyond repute RanChii has a reputation beyond repute RanChii has a reputation beyond repute RanChii has a reputation beyond repute RanChii has a reputation beyond repute RanChii has a reputation beyond repute RanChii has a reputation beyond repute RanChii's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-12-2009 08:50 AM
    Threads

Story 8/10

Clannad has a very interesting plot and some scenes can truly force that tear out of your eye. I gave it an eight over ten since most of the episodes at the beginning was plain, random and not to mention boring, but as you continue to watch it, the air around them soon changes.

Characters 10/10

Each character in Clannad gives off their own unique personality. The roles they play in the anime made the story more enticing. I gave them a ten since all of them really played their part to make the story beautiful.

Art/Animation 10/10

Kyoto Animation produces great quality art and animation. The scenery was drawn perfectly and the emotions of the characters were executed flawlessly. Clannad is one of the anime I find very catching to the eyes and this art will move you to watch more of the anime.

Voice Acting/Music 10/10

I gave this anime's audio presentation a ten since the actors who voiced over the characters gave out the emotions that they have to portray perfectly. There were no awkward sounding moments. The music of the anime goes well with the story. Each character has their own theme and it really works out to the whole flow of the anime. I can say that the melody is truly unique and brilliant.

Overall 10/10

If you would watch the whole series, I'll bet you'll fall in love with it too. This Romance-Drama anime can truly captivate your heart since it deals with (some) real life situations that you can connect with. I can say that Clannad is no ordinary anime for it shows you the world of fantasy and magic all at the same time.

.xox.
    .|I'm still learning how to make great graphics
    o(>_<)o|.

Member TrueTears has a brilliant future TrueTears has a brilliant future TrueTears has a brilliant future TrueTears has a brilliant future TrueTears has a brilliant future TrueTears has a brilliant future TrueTears has a brilliant future TrueTears has a brilliant future TrueTears has a brilliant future TrueTears has a brilliant future TrueTears has a brilliant future TrueTears's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-07-2009 07:00 AM
    Threads

Story – 8/10
    Similar to Key’s other works, Air and Kanon, Clannad attempts to throw the Republican punch; it plays with your emotions without giving a reason for doing so. Thankfully Clannad does a much better job than the pathetic campaign that the Republicans are currently running (and no, I’m not going to begin comparing Tomoyo to Sarah Palin if anyone was wondering).

Clannad’s story is about Tomoya Okazaki, a young delinquient in his last year of high school. When Tomoya was young his mother died in an accident. This event led Tomoya and his father into a downward spiral where they both became distant from one another. One night, Tomoya and his father got into an argument which eventually turned into a fight between father and son. As a result Tomoya seriously injured his shoulder and was unable to continue playing on the high-school basketball team. It was at this point where Tomoya began avoiding his father and roaming around the streets at night. He then began coming to school late and skipping classes together with his best friend Youhei Sunohara. Due to his actions, people began labeling Tomoya as a delinquient. Now in his last year of high school, Tomoya continues to half-*** his way through his life. Tomoya no longer cares about his future or others… until one day when he meets Nagisa Furukawa, a typically shy and gentle girl. It turns out that Nagisa was actually held back a year due to the fact that she was sick in the previous year and missed most of her classes. Since most of her friends graduated and left town, Nagisa is left with no friends. Tomoya, who feels that Nagisa is in a similar situation to his, approaches her. It is then that Nagisa tells Tomoya of her dream to join the drama club; because she always wanted to act in a play. Together, the two of them muster enough effort to go to the drama room after school only to find that the club shut down. Disappointed with the outcome, Nagisa leaves. After some thinking Tomoya, who feels that he has nothing better to do with his life, attempts to help Nagisa reorganize the drama club. Along the way, Tomoya meets many other (beautiful) girls, who all happen to have their fair share of problems. With nothing else to do, Tomoya eventually helps to solve each of their problems while at the same time coming to the realization that he himself has one.

Clannad’s story is told in a number of arcs. Each arc focuses on a specific character and their family central problems. Within each arc, Tomoya and Nagisa help that character identify the problem and find ways to solve it. In doing so, Tomoya learns more about the importance of having a family while Nagisa develops some personal courage. For this genre of anime, Clannad does a good job in steering clear from the pit of flaws and clichés that many other animes constantly fall into. In general, the story arcs in Clannad are well executed and told very nicely with some light supernatural elements thrown in. The backgrounds of each arc character are fleshed out and presented to the viewers in a way in which we can easily make connections and relate to each character. While the stories of each character are neither deep nor profound they are often sad; usually involving a tragic death or a tale of misfortune. Unfortunately, the episode length of the story arcs is quite unbalanced. Two of the main character’s arcs are cut extremely short due to some arcs being far too long and to a point, overly fleshed out.

Often times, Kyoto Animation (now KyoAni for simplicity) seems to be the Hollywood of anime; spawning shallow pop culture shows with over the top production values. Some of the animes produced by KyoAni such as The Melancholy of Suzimiya Haruhi and Lucky Star rely heavily on otaku-central humor. The humor sported by the above series often gets repetitive and dull since it is only targeted at one specific group. Thankfully, the overall experience of Clannad is not bogged down by unnecessary otaku humor. Oddly enough, the humor is actually used in parts of Clannad’s story to provide comic relief (usually involving the misfortune of Youhei Sunohara) to prevent the show from feeling too depressing. Additionally, the comedic scenes in Clannad are not just otaku-specific and are more quirky, witty and slapstick oriented. Unlike Zero no Tsukaima, which doesn’t t know when to draw the fine line between cruel and funny, Clannad seems to understand its reputation and swiftly draws that line. Overall, I enjoyed the humor in Clannad and felt that it added to the show rather than detracting from viewing experience. It’s nice to see that KyoAni has finally learned that there are anime fans out there that do not enjoy excessive amounts of otaku humor; Clannad being a key example of their progress.

Surprisingly there is very little romantic development in Clannad (which the opening would hint otherwise since it quite clearly showcases the five main girls in typical harem format). The main focus of Clannad is families and not so much romance, although all families eventually begin with some romance. There is some romantic tension between Tomoya and the other girls (mainly Nagisa) but it never gets to the point where a harem is formed. More than anything the romance of the show just fleshes out the main characters and makes them memorable in the end.

Animation – 9/10
    KyoAni is known far and wide for having extremely high production values. Some fans even consider the studio to be the gods of anime and for good reasons too. The animation in Clannad does not disappoint, all characters are fluidly animated. There is not a single dull facial expression or a stiff body figure on screen at any time (although at one point Tomoya does get rather stiff, but this is not due to a drop in animation). The lighting effects in Clannad are also superb, as they are usually used in conjunction with character’s feelings to convey the mood. Overall I have very few complaints (if not any) about the animation in Clannad except that I know KyoAni’s has even greater potential in terms of animation as seen in their previous masterpiece Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid.

Sound – 8/10
    Another strong point of this anime is its sound and voice acting. The opening song "Megumeru ~cuckool mix 2007” by eufonius is a direct remix of the Clannad game opening. It fits the tone of the show nicely and is enjoyable to listen too along with the opening animation. The ending them “Dango Daikazoku” (The Big Dango Family) by Chata is a metaphorical song of the show’s main theme and the animation that goes along with it is quite cute and charming. Most of the BGM in Clannad was either reused or remixed directly from the Clannad visual novel. People who have played the game before will recognize many similar tracks, which may lead to mixed feelings. It would have been nice if KyoAni had taken the time to create new tracks, although in doing so they may have destroyed the overall feel and mood of Clannad. The voice acting is handled quite well by the voice actors. Most of them were able to breathe life into each of their respective characters and with great passion too. Overall, sound is pretty solid in Clannad earning a respective value of 8.

Characters – 8/10
    Most of the characters in Clannad are taken from a bottomless pool of anime archetypes including the quiet bookworm, the gentle girl and your typical tsundere. Thankfully, some of the characters in Clannad end up being more than dry bologna. I’m glad that I finally get to have a few slices of black forest salami.

My goodness, if the delinquents at my school offered to solve my personal problems and spoke without swearing every other sentence, I would declare world peace everywhere. It’s strange that Tomoya seems to be the nicest and most decent delinquient that I have ever seen. In some respects his character almost seems unnatural, although I guess Tomoya only developed in this fashion due to living with a dysfunctional father. Complaints aside, Tomoya is a painfully honest young man who is frantically dealing with his own personal problems. Tomoya is a truly admirable character as he draws upon the failures in his life to make sure those around him do not end up that way. Through helping others, Tomoya eventually comes to the realization of his own problems and changes with the help of others.

At first glance, Nagisa doesn’t really seem to fit the role of a heroine as her character is a combination of the shy, gentle girl archetype. Nagisa is initially afraid of speaking in front of others but nevertheless wants to join the drama club. Most of Clannad’s story revolves around Nagisa and her fight to overcome her shyness. With Tomoya’s help, she eventually matures into a strong-willed person with a mind of her own. In turn, Nagisa is the one who helps Tomoya get over his distrust of everyone and his negative view on life. Oddly enough, Nagisa seems to be one of the few characters in Clannad who doesn’t have an immediate family issue. Nagisa’s family happens to be very close with each other, a rarity in modernized societies today. Watching Nagisa’s family members interact with one another gave me a heartwarming feeling and made me realize how similar my family is to hers. Even Tomoya is welcomed into the family at one point, showing just how generous they are. I understand that not everyone is blessed with a warm, loving family, but I hope that this example illustrates that almost anyone can find a family in this world, even if they are not related by blood.

The four other main girls in Clannad aren’t quite as developed as Nagisa (in terms of character, not figure) but they still have more than ample screen time. First of all there’s Kyou Fujibayashi (your typical tsundere), Kotomi Ichinose (the shy, intelligent bookworm), Tomoyo Sakagami (the combo master) and Fuko Ibuki (the starfish obsessed bozo). All of the main girls have their own respective arcs in which their personal stories are told. Each girl is equally likeable due to their individual personalities and complex personal lives, although some such as Kotomi and Kyou seriously run the risk of falling within the bottomless pool of anime archetypes. One last notable mention is Youhei Sunohara, who is the main source of comic relief in Clannad. Sunohara is probably the most humorous character due to his wacky antics and idiotic behavior which often results in him being bullet-kicked by Tomoyo. While every character in Clannad belongs to an anime archetype, KyoAni does an excellent job in differentiating most of them from other common fodder. These characters are part of what makes Clannad such an enjoyable and at times humorous show to watch.

Enjoyment – 9/10
    While it’s not a groundbreaking story, Clannad doesn’t try to play up to anything more than it is. Clannad is simply a heartwarming story about the importance of a family. While some character’s arcs did not receive as much screen time as others, the main story is not greatly affected. Clannad’s story isn’t without flaws, but it still stands strong and will be remembered if not for its heartwarming story, then for its wacky, original sense of humor. People who enjoy a blend of drama, humor and slice of life will more than enjoy Clannad. Those who prefer a more serious tone to their animes (such as myself) will still find reasons to enjoy Clannad as its story is not purely positive.

11. Likes Maiku12 liked this post
    The Palmtop Tiger blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661 has a reputation beyond repute blueangel06661's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Hedgehog PPG Bubbles Alice
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 07:05 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: blueangel06661 Steam ID: blueangel06661

Story (9/10)
    The overall main story [and the side story's] were all really enjoyable. Unlike most anime's currently airing Clannad was not huge on random fillers and usually got to the point with a comic relief here and there. The story of Clannad was really dramatic but yet sweet. Good enough to capture ones' attention.

Characters (10/10)
    I think all the characters were lovely with their own personality. You really got to know everyone important in the series rather than assume you know them. Key in general has done an excelent job at their character plots. I've watched hundereds of anime's and have forgotten many of the main characters in shows and how they act. But I have never forgotten any of the characters in Key's work. Clannad was no exception to this.

Art/animation (10/10)
    The art was amazing and it had a soft yet hard edge to it. It wasn't too mushy that it seemed silly but not to sharp like it needed to be serious all the time. The colors in the show were well blended and mixed.

The voices were chosen really well. There was a nice cute voice for Nagisa and one with more of an edge to it for Tomoya. However the music was brilliant. I enjoy the songs played very much. I have most on my iPod. Very cute and romantic.

Overall (10/10)
    This really is a wonderful anime and I ALWAYS reccomend it any chance I get. It's not my personal favorite but it is surely worth a watch. I do hope one day it becomes an anime classic. It is surely would move your emotions as the tales of these characters unwind.

今日...明日...永遠に...
    Interested in Pop-Up Cafes in Japan? Dango News is the place for you.
    Dango News
    | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Senior Member XSmoky has a reputation beyond repute XSmoky has a reputation beyond repute XSmoky has a reputation beyond repute XSmoky has a reputation beyond repute XSmoky has a reputation beyond repute XSmoky has a reputation beyond repute XSmoky has a reputation beyond repute XSmoky has a reputation beyond repute XSmoky has a reputation beyond repute XSmoky has a reputation beyond repute XSmoky has a reputation beyond repute XSmoky's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts One Piece Flag Gurren Dai Gurren Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-15-2010 11:38 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: xsmoky7

Default Re: [TV Series] Clannad

How about a short review on Clannad?

Whenever someone asks me for my recommendation for an anime to watch, Clannad and After Story are always in my top 5 for recommendations. I loved the story, the character development was amazing, the characters themselves had actual effort put into them, there was even some comic relief throughout the show that was placed perfectly.

The Clannad series is one of my all time favorites. I recommend everyone see this show. It is definitely worth your time and will stay with you long after the last episode.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Member tomabird has a reputation beyond repute tomabird has a reputation beyond repute tomabird has a reputation beyond repute tomabird has a reputation beyond repute tomabird has a reputation beyond repute tomabird has a reputation beyond repute tomabird has a reputation beyond repute tomabird has a reputation beyond repute tomabird has a reputation beyond repute tomabird has a reputation beyond repute tomabird has a reputation beyond repute tomabird's Avatar
    Gil
    Buzzed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-26-2010 07:52 PM
    Somewhere between your fridge, and that guy's lawn. Yeah.
    Threads

Story (9/10)
    The story itself starts as a simple romance story, but its got that "mysterious" effect that draws you in after each episode. The serious parts and the gags are balanced out nicely until the excellent ending(the play). You can really feel the drama of the stories, while making you laugh at the same time (damn you, Sunohara xD). Easily a classic anime, and a nice introduction for After Story (which in my opinion, is the best anime of the genre to date).
    Characters (8/10)
    Good characters, with vibrant personalities. Score dropped to 8 because of the obvious "harem" setup of the anime, and the fact that three of the frequently recurring characters (Ryou/Kyou, Tomoyo) were all crammed into one short arc. Sure, they had their OVAs, but still, the anime would have been better to expand on the supporting characters.
    Art/Animation (9/10)
    Very fluid, one of the better animes in any genre in this aspect. You can really see the expression on their eyes(beautifully done), faces, and bodies. Plus points on the "Fuko Master" bits too. Oh, and Tomoyo's combos, I really feel for Sunohara, the art put into the intensity of the kicks was rightfully intense.
    Voice Acting/Music (10/10)
    No complaints here, everyone had perfect voicing. Exceptional work from Tomoya's, Fuko's Akio's, Sunohara's. and Kyou's voices.
    Overall (9.5/10)
    Excellent anime, a very good example of an anime that shines even without relying heavily on erotic scenes. The "simple, but powerful" impression left by this anime can change lesser men ). Its sequel, After Story, would probably need a higher number than 10 for its ratings, just saying xD.

Junior Member lilsakurakaori is on a distinguished road lilsakurakaori's Avatar
    Gil
    Confused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-20-2011 11:28 AM
    Threads

Story(9/10) I give the story this rating because there were some episodes that weren't necessary for the series and it seemed to me it went off the from the plot. The show kept my attention and I always craved for more.
    Characters (9/10) The characters were well-developed. Okazaki changed from a trouble maker to a nicer person, if you wan to call it that, because of Nagisa. Nagisa was such a shy person, but as the series progressed she kind of opened up more to others. The others characeters were pretty good. Probably, the only other two characters I liked were Sunohara and Kotomi.
    Art/animation (10/10) The art in this anime was amazing. I loved it. I'm not much of an art person, but I like the way the characters were draw.
    Voice acting, music (10/10) The japanese voice acting pretty much matched each character. I don't see this very much in most anime, but this one actually hit the mark. The English voice acting was horrible. Usually, I don't complain about English voice acting because there are some pretty good people who voices do match the characters, but I didn't care for the english one bit. I loved the music. Especially, Dango Daikazoku song. It's so cute.
    Overall (10/10) The whole anime is excellent and it made me smile at the end. I highly recommend this anime to people who like romance and I also recommend the second part Clannad: Afterstory if you liked this one.

Junior Member Adanadhel is on a distinguished road Adanadhel's Avatar
    Gil
    Aggressive
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-25-2011 05:28 PM
    Threads

Well, I've been surprised again.

A pity it was in a negative way this time. Due to the enormous repercussion Clannad has I thought I would give it a chance, since so many people said it was beautiful, tear-jerking, sad, etc.

Drama my arse.

Clannad is drama as much as Naruto is.

Yeah, you read it right. I'd dare say that Naruto might even be more successful on its attempts to drama than Clannad was. I was utterly disappointed by how lame the attempts to pull tears out of your eyes in this series are.

The producers relied so much on (poor) humor, that every time where you had a "dramatic" moment it ended up coming across as exaggerated or unnatural.

Even more unnatural are the attempts to a supernatural approach. They just don't fit, sound forced and nonsense.

Clannad might have been a lot more enjoyable if it was reduced to 12 episodes only. There were at least 7 complete unnecessary episodes, and several other ones that could have been reduced to half of what they are. Not only does this dramatically decreases the pace of the series but it also gives the show an overall feeling of lack of creativity since the episodes just drag on lame jokes and useless dialogues.

The characters are really shallow, extremely stereotyped and hard to connect with. They overreact or act unnaturally on almost every conflict that they face. Nagisa's constant promptness to tears drove me crazy.

While Kyoto Animation did a good job on Air and Kanon (2006) it's hard to understand what they were trying to do in Clannad. There was an attempt on focusing on family relationships, but even this is extremely poorly done.

The soundtrack is very repetitive, the art has nothing original to it and quite often I felt annoyed by the voice of some characters (Nagisa being the most annoying of'em all).

Once again, it's really difficult to me to understand the hype behind some animes. I'll give a chance to Clannad ~after story~. Since my expectations are so low I might as well be surprised positively this time.

Story: 4/10
    Art/Animation: 6/10
    Voice Acting/Music: 3/10
    Character: 3/10
    Overall: 4/10
    Instead of worrying about the world we're gonna leave to our children we should worry about the children we're gonna leave to the world.

Member Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun has a brilliant future Seifuku-kun's Avatar
    Gil
    Bored
    Gifts Cheese Gun
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-20-2011 08:47 AM
    Threads

Story(9/10)
    The story is awesome! It is somewhat chaotic since the anime is based on the game (which I have also played). The game has 13 different endings.. Of course there are not so many endings in the anime, but they have still incorperated a lot into a single story.
    The genious thing is that they decided to make 2 OVA's that have completely different endings than the main story.!
    Let me say this, I dont agree with the choice the main character makes in the main story, but the first OVA saves my day!

Characters (10/10)
    The characters are all different and you can easily see that a lot of effort has been put into shaping them. Perhaps a bit colouresque, but very charming.

Art/animation (10/10)
    The design is flawless. It is pure art and I have no complaints!

I love the voice acting. Absolutely prima! As for the soundtrack - it is fantastic. I had to get the OST and I listen to it a lot!

Overall (10/10)
    It is a MUST SEE! Even if high school, teenage girls and drama is not for you, you WILL still enjoy this. Clannad will make a deep hole in your heart and then patch you up again...well mostly anyways! xD
    I have seen the entire series 2 times in 3 weeks. As for my favourite episode (OVA#1), I have seen it 9 times... Yeez, I'm such a baka!

PS. Should be watched with Japanese audio and English subs.
    PPS. Keep your hands off Tomoyo-chan, she is mine! mewhahaha! xD

Junior Member epicfacegonewild is on a distinguished road epicfacegonewild's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-22-2012 09:13 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Animefreak9604

this anime made me ball and cry for my mommy! THIS ANIME IS REALLY SAD!

Senior Member darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21 is infamous around these parts darkrider21's Avatar
    Gil
    Cloud_9
    Gifts Decepticons Leo AK47
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-20-2014 04:00 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: darkwolf1911

10 on everything i loved clannad i loved it so much
    live life to the fullest because you are not guarantied a tomorrow

Senior Member Nitzer has a reputation beyond repute Nitzer has a reputation beyond repute Nitzer has a reputation beyond repute Nitzer has a reputation beyond repute Nitzer has a reputation beyond repute Nitzer has a reputation beyond repute Nitzer has a reputation beyond repute Nitzer has a reputation beyond repute Nitzer has a reputation beyond repute Nitzer has a reputation beyond repute Nitzer has a reputation beyond repute Nitzer's Avatar
    Gil
    Wicked
    Gifts Jupiter Star Wand Top Rainbow Ribbon 001 - Bulbasaur
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-14-2012 08:11 PM
    Threads

I didn't like how every one he dies

Junior Member sm00zy has a reputation beyond repute sm00zy has a reputation beyond repute sm00zy has a reputation beyond repute sm00zy has a reputation beyond repute sm00zy has a reputation beyond repute sm00zy has a reputation beyond repute sm00zy has a reputation beyond repute sm00zy has a reputation beyond repute sm00zy has a reputation beyond repute sm00zy has a reputation beyond repute sm00zy has a reputation beyond repute sm00zy's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-17-2012 06:02 PM
    Threads

Definitely worth watching. It took me a while to actually get into the Anime since the story doesn't really start to take shape until after the "Fuko" thing, and even then there are a bunch of distractions. But still very enjoyable. The story itself could be kinda confusing at times, but after i finished season 2 it was very clear. Characters were not very "unique", you had the classic "Funny yet clumsy best friend who hits on girls", "the shy and timid girl. and her opposite twin" and so on. I wasn't a big fan of the character design at first tho it steadily grew on me , the artwork was really nice tho. I enjoyed watching the Anime just for its artwork, but i found the character design to be a bit off. Like their eyes where too far apart from each other, this is very normal in "older" Animes tho. The music in the Anime was amazing, loved it so much that i downloaded the soundtrack. The Anime itself relies strongly on the emotions of its viewers. so if your not a person that likes "dramatic" Animes i would not recommend this one. So I give this Anime a 9/10 in total.

Story: 8/10
    Artwork: 9/10
    Characters: 9/10
    Music: 10/10

Senior Member GaHoolianGirl100 has a reputation beyond repute GaHoolianGirl100 has a reputation beyond repute GaHoolianGirl100 has a reputation beyond repute GaHoolianGirl100 has a reputation beyond repute GaHoolianGirl100 has a reputation beyond repute GaHoolianGirl100 has a reputation beyond repute GaHoolianGirl100 has a reputation beyond repute GaHoolianGirl100 has a reputation beyond repute GaHoolianGirl100 has a reputation beyond repute GaHoolianGirl100 has a reputation beyond repute GaHoolianGirl100 has a reputation beyond repute GaHoolianGirl100's Avatar
    Gil
    Nerdy
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-21-2014 12:29 AM
    That grey spot in between sanity and insanity
    Threads

Story 9/10 I love the story,and it had the ability to make me cry.But,I think they set up some wonderdul thongs,and dropped them.Like the short Misae story.Otherwise it was wonderful.

Artwork 9/10 I have seen some animes with terrible artwork,but this was not one of them.They artwork was wonderful and really well done.But there is one reason I give it a 9.I can't see the girl's mouths half the time!

Voice-Sub-10/10 I love the character's voices.The emotions are clear and visable.When Ushio says Papa,it strikes a cord,more than when she says Daddy.

Voice-Dub-8/10 I think they casted very well.But I have one beef.They prounuce Nagisa's and Ushio's name wrong.I can't display it here,but if you watch the sub,then the dub,you'll see.

Music 10/10 The music is wonderful!I think what they play always befits the mood,and I feel emotions each time the songs are played.They are also catchy.I find myself humming "Dango Daikozoku" all the time.

Overall I believe it is the best anime I have ever seen.This might not ne saying much,but I think it ranks #1.The characters are relatable and 3D,the story and artwork is good,and I can over look the dub.

I hope many share my opinion on this wonderful anime.

Member Lugias has a reputation beyond repute Lugias has a reputation beyond repute Lugias has a reputation beyond repute Lugias has a reputation beyond repute Lugias has a reputation beyond repute Lugias has a reputation beyond repute Lugias has a reputation beyond repute Lugias has a reputation beyond repute Lugias has a reputation beyond repute Lugias has a reputation beyond repute Lugias has a reputation beyond repute Lugias's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Four Leaf Clover Gir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2013 12:44 AM
    Threads

I'm watching the After Story right now, but I have to say that it is one of the best anime I have ever seen.
    The story is low, but as someone said up there, it keeps you wondering what will happen next. Also, the characters are no flat and you can see how they feel, what they think, their personal history and what they want to do. I've cried with it many times, I've become a little bit of a whiner lately xD
    The backgrounds and the music are awesome too. Their voices show their emotions pretty well, unlike some anime where you can say if the character is trully sad or he's just bluffing.

Junior Member DoctorPinsLove is on a distinguished road DoctorPinsLove's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-17-2012 12:59 AM
    Threads

I find it difficult to put a number on these shows...

Clannad for me was extremely slow in the beginning (much like high school). The characters were under developed but their personalities were clear, the school plain and boring. Okazaki was your normal delinquent and Nagisa your normal shy-socially awkward girl.

Then going through Tomoyo, Fuko, Shanahara and all the other arcs Nagisa and Okazaki grew closer together, like a normal couple would. Finally seeing Okazaki saying I love you to Nagisa you couldn't help but smile at the scene.

In after story Nagisa and Okazaki become closer. Okazaki struggles to become an adult while Nagisa supports in every way possible. Okazaki struggles with his relations to his father, getting a job, money situations and everything else an adult struggles with in real life. Eventually he marries Nagisa and they live happily, Nagisa eventually becomes pregnant.

I think this was the most scarring part of the anime. I absolutely knew that Nagisa was going to die around giving birth. Seeing Key's other works (Kanon and Air) I knew for a fact Nagisa wasn't going to live through giving birth, the mysterious illness didn't my deduction.

The thing is that I felt like Okazaki had the same feeling too. Every day he would worry about Nagisa knowing that she was weak and the pain of giving birth might make her succumb to death. Still he respected her wish to keep the baby... which also hurt me even more.

To give this a real life prospective the scene of Nagisa giving birth then dying was one of the worst things I could ever imagine because it was so helpless. Okazaki was helpless, Nagisa was helpless, everyone around them was shut out in a white cloud of hopelessness and sorrow while Okazaki held Ushio.

It was the worst thing I could ever imagine...

Banned Forum / Chat neogalaxy is infamous around these parts neogalaxy is infamous around these parts neogalaxy is infamous around these parts neogalaxy is infamous around these parts neogalaxy is infamous around these parts neogalaxy is infamous around these parts neogalaxy is infamous around these parts neogalaxy is infamous around these parts neogalaxy is infamous around these parts neogalaxy is infamous around these parts neogalaxy is infamous around these parts neogalaxy's Avatar
    Gil
    Goofy
    Gifts Compass
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2013 02:10 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Phxndnassasin13

10/10 on all aspects, Very Good Anime !

26. Likes Explorer Oak liked this post
    [[sweeter than sugar]] hatoko_hinata has a reputation beyond repute hatoko_hinata has a reputation beyond repute hatoko_hinata has a reputation beyond repute hatoko_hinata has a reputation beyond repute hatoko_hinata has a reputation beyond repute hatoko_hinata has a reputation beyond repute hatoko_hinata has a reputation beyond repute hatoko_hinata has a reputation beyond repute hatoko_hinata has a reputation beyond repute hatoko_hinata has a reputation beyond repute hatoko_hinata has a reputation beyond repute hatoko_hinata's Avatar
    Gil
    Angelic
    Gifts Panda Violin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2012 08:42 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Story (10/10)
    Very good story. Realistic and emotional. I love how this anime shows real life together with its ups and downs.

Characters (9/10)
    I love how I can always find something to relate with each character. They each have their unique traits and characteristics. And they are well-developed throughout the series.

Art/Animation (10/10)
    Definitely great art and animation. It was one of the first things I noticed and what primarily pushed me to see the series. The details, the colors, the movements. Everything is absolutely fantastic!

Voice Acting, Music (9/10)
    I like the voices and music, especially the music.

Overall (10/10)
    I definitely recommend this anime! It touches your heart and it makes you smile, laugh, sob, and cry. It takes you through life and it's journeys. A truly wonderful anime.
    Set made by GoodyLucky. Fans are in my Journal. Thank you so much!

Senior Member thelegend117 is on a distinguished road thelegend117's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Systems Xbox 360 Controller 025 - Pikachu
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-21-2015 01:38 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: heart stopper10

This was my favorite anime....it was the first anime to ever make me cry aha....it grabs every emotion a person can feel and it makes you feel all of them....the characters and there stories were well thought out and you can make connections to them which helps contribute to the quality of this anime...i can watch this anime over and over and still feel the way i did when i first watched it.....my favorite...wish there was more to the adventures....all in all 10/10

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information