AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Censorship!!!

Member M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X.'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-02-2009 07:14 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Censorship!!!

Alright, this thread is a little discussion about censorship in different entertainment mediums and why certain ones seem to be sensored more than others, and how this may apply to anime and manga, (the reason for the placement of this thread in the general anime/manga section)

Backround first: Over the years, different entertainment mediums have been subject to various levels of censorship, some unrerasonable. It's hards to pinpoint where it started, but one of the earliest examples was of course: writing. Shakespeare, for example, faced scrutiny due to the "inappropriate" subject matter of some of his place, aminly Taming of the Shrew. Naturally back then, sex in any form in any public show/mass produced writing was, to say the least, "looked down upon". (another example of narrow-minded fearing change...a recurring theme in my posts.)

Another example is comics when they came out, supposedly "rotting brains" of children evrywhere. Rock music faced rediculous levels of censorchip due to it's rumored "satanic" content.

The point is, nowadays, things have changed around a little. No one really cares about books anymore, you can write whatever you want nowadays, or maybe just nobody reads anymore, but whataver. Music has also loosened up a bit. Even movies are getting more into topics that wouold be considered controversial even at soon as 15 years ago. However, the cartoons on tv, if you've noticed or wached parental education programs to laugh at their rediculousness, are becoming increasingly "dangerous to our youth", teaching us that violence is the way to solve problems, etc..., and most of the series mentioned in this talk are anime.. (or, just cartoons from japan, for all you damn literalists).

But why? Is it just the fact that Japanese people are a lot more loose about what is and is not suitable for you8ng peoples' viewing? And if so, then why aren't other forms opf entertaimment attached to as much stigma as cartoons and still some comic books...? No on cares, once again, what book a child reads for the ,most part. (trust me, I know from experience.), and sure, movies have the ratings system, but I've gotten into "R" movies many times, and I'm not only 16... no Id, no nothing. The only other entertainment form that is subject to this is video games, but onyl stuff like GTA...

Why do you think different forms of entertainment are so differently looked at/

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

First, let me just say that America =/= Japan. Culturally, people are considered to be "adults" at a typically younger age.

Now, to answer your question: Different forms of entertainment in target audience.

In Japan, media such as anime is marketed toward many different age groups, from infants to adults. As such, different shows will contain different, obviously more mature content.

Here in the U.S., as far as our history with animation goes back, it's been something that has been mostly target at the youth. And many animated shows which are target at adults are especially perverse, have foul language, or say "controversial" things.

When importing something from a culturally different country such as Japan, for the most part people will view the content from their own cultural viewpoint. They see anime, and since it's animated, see it as something which goes for a youth demographic. Thus, when people see such series, they ask why this is appropriate for children. They censor it.

In addition, since they have a different standard for what children and young adults can see or hear in media, when it comes to another country it is, again, viewed in that country's culture. Things that could be said and done in shows directed toward slightly younger groups in Japan would be considered viewable by a relatively "older" group in the U.S.

Movies and videogames are not the only things with rating systems. Television shows are often rated, usually indicated at the beginning of the show with a small box in the corner of the screen.

With music, there is the "Parental Advisory" notice.

With video games, the target audience is generally mid-teens, older teenagers, and people in their 20s. While of course there is also a large youth demographic, it is important to note that the primary audience for most videogames are slightly older. Hence the amount of T and M rated games, especially amongst very big titles.

With something like music, the target audience is based in the style of music itself, so it is up to the listeners' opinions of what is and is not appropriate.

And, obviously, when it has to do with kids and young teenagers, it is their guardians' decision for what they feel is and is not appropriate for them. This can seem oppressive though, during the later part of youth, as the child is finding their own identity.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Banned Forum / Chat Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-29-2008 12:08 PM
    Threads

Here they show programmes for younger audiences during the daytime, more mature things just after 8:00PM so that some of the younger generation have the chance to view them, and then more adultic things later, totally uncut. Never has the UK skipped an episode or cut an Anime, unless it is on some crap channel like Jetix where they only show more of the Anime aimed at younger audiences. The UK aired Elfen Lied uncut with the exception of the child rape scene, and also showed the whole Excel Saga series uncut. Both of which never made it to other countries on television. They even had to stop Excel Saga in Japan towards the end.
    Fully - Fledged - Absolute - Hardcore ''Otaku''
    Just Like This 'Kawaii' Girl Here.[Izumi Konata]

Junior Member alliop has a reputation beyond repute alliop has a reputation beyond repute alliop has a reputation beyond repute alliop has a reputation beyond repute alliop has a reputation beyond repute alliop has a reputation beyond repute alliop has a reputation beyond repute alliop has a reputation beyond repute alliop has a reputation beyond repute alliop has a reputation beyond repute alliop has a reputation beyond repute alliop's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-09-2008 07:53 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by M.X. View Post
    Alright, this thread is a little discussion about censorship in different entertainment mediums and why certain ones seem to be sensored more than others, and how this may apply to anime and manga, (the reason for the placement of this thread in the general anime/manga section)

Backround first: Over the years, different entertainment mediums have been subject to various levels of censorship, some unrerasonable. It's hards to pinpoint where it started, but one of the earliest examples was of course: writing. Shakespeare, for example, faced scrutiny due to the "inappropriate" subject matter of some of his place, aminly Taming of the Shrew. Naturally back then, sex in any form in any public show/mass produced writing was, to say the least, "looked down upon". (another example of narrow-minded fearing change...a recurring theme in my posts.)

Another example is comics when they came out, supposedly "rotting brains" of children evrywhere. Rock music faced rediculous levels of censorchip due to it's rumored "satanic" content.

The point is, nowadays, things have changed around a little. No one really cares about books anymore, you can write whatever you want nowadays, or maybe just nobody reads anymore, but whataver. Music has also loosened up a bit. Even movies are getting more into topics that wouold be considered controversial even at soon as 15 years ago. However, the cartoons on tv, if you've noticed or wached parental education programs to laugh at their rediculousness, are becoming increasingly "dangerous to our youth", teaching us that violence is the way to solve problems, etc..., and most of the series mentioned in this talk are anime.. (or, just cartoons from japan, for all you damn literalists).

But why? Is it just the fact that Japanese people are a lot more loose about what is and is not suitable for you8ng peoples' viewing? And if so, then why aren't other forms opf entertaimment attached to as much stigma as cartoons and still some comic books...? No on cares, once again, what book a child reads for the ,most part. (trust me, I know from experience.), and sure, movies have the ratings system, but I've gotten into "R" movies many times, and I'm not only 16... no Id, no nothing. The only other entertainment form that is subject to this is video games, but onyl stuff like GTA...

Why do you think different forms of entertainment are so differently looked at/
    When you say "unreasonable censorship" I think you're suggesting that some censorship is reasonable. You seem to forget that all censorship is unreasonable.

So have you visited The Temple of Set recently? I've always wanted to go there and visit LeVay but that can't be done now because he is dead.

Member M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X. has a reputation beyond repute M.X.'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Sure, I don't like censorship in any form, but I do realize that some of it must be tolerated by creators, otherwise the only people allowed to watch anything would be people over 18.....and the little kidz shows I guess.

Another funny thing is the fact that many people I know that watch stuff like Family Guy, etc.... still tell me that cartoons, comics, and games are only for kids, and newscasters on the other hand, along with parent groups like to rattle off about how cartoons, comics, and games are destroying our youth...

Ningen Nante _Freddie_ has a reputation beyond repute _Freddie_ has a reputation beyond repute _Freddie_ has a reputation beyond repute _Freddie_ has a reputation beyond repute _Freddie_ has a reputation beyond repute _Freddie_ has a reputation beyond repute _Freddie_ has a reputation beyond repute _Freddie_ has a reputation beyond repute _Freddie_ has a reputation beyond repute _Freddie_ has a reputation beyond repute _Freddie_ has a reputation beyond repute _Freddie_'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-10-2009 07:33 PM
    Threads

Sorry, but those posts were TL;DR

So I'm just putting in my random bit.

I think Censorship is an abomination to the media. Television shows are works of art, and should be viewed the way the artists intended. Censorship desecrates more than "Naughty words, or Violence" it ruins plots, relationships, and the message from the artist.

Tenjou Tenge was so heavily edited into an incoherent mess, the story was ravished and even the 18+ version was edited.

In Initial D, Tokyo pop edited out softcore sex scenes and all but erased a relationship between two characters!

As if kids are going to read those manga anyway. In my opinion teens should be able to read those mangas, and if parents don't want their "kids" to read them, then it is their problem.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
    Sorry, but those posts were TL;DR

So I'm just putting in my random bit.

I think Censorship is an abomination to the media. Television shows are works of art, and should be viewed the way the artists intended. Censorship desecrates more than "Naughty words, or Violence" it ruins plots, relationships, and the message from the artist.

Tenjou Tenge was so heavily edited into an incoherent mess, the story was ravished and even the 18+ version was edited.

In Initial D, Tokyo pop edited out softcore sex scenes and all but erased a relationship between two characters!

As if kids are going to read those manga anyway. In my opinion teens should be able to read those mangas, and if parents don't want their "kids" to read them, then it is their problem.
    **omg, I actually agree with someone on this forum, the apocalypse is nigh!**

anyway, yeah, it makes it seem all chopped up, even if you've never seen the original version.

Don't worry about the world going to hell, because there's nothing you can do about it anyway. Just sit back, and enjoy the ride...

Closed Thread

Thread Information