AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Stuff to buy in Japan

Junior Member janet999 is on a distinguished road janet999's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-19-2008 03:57 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Thumbs up Stuff to buy in Japan

Hello all,

I'm currently on holiday in Japan and it's great. One thing I've noticed is there loads of strange stuff you can buy here. My friend suggested that I should buy some Japanese goods whilst I'm here and sell them for a profit when I return to the UK if I'm clever. Unfortunately I know nothing about manga and anime but she said people on this site might know what would be good to buy.

So, do you? What would you buy from Japan to sell whilst back in the UK? Not just manga related but other items as well if you know anything.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Janet

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2009 08:17 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

I know that crafty things are pretty popular in the US right now. Amigurumi, other knitting and crochet patterns and tools. I've also noticed some clothing and accessories are becoming popular. Think harajuku- fruits, gothic lolita, etc etc.

Pink is the new Pooky
    Party it up in Wallpapers
    | join the AF Gaia guild!
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

musing of a mod : Illuminated Spirits : Theme: uber_pink

Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87 has a reputation beyond repute Ertai87's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2010 08:18 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

While I can't say I'm a fan of buying "souvenirs" and then turning them for a profit back home, there are some things you can buy.

First of all, of course manga and anime is popular. Try to find manga or anime that haven't been released in the UK. I know North America has yet to see such series as Doraemon, Lucky Star (Lucky Star is currently being released, but they're being slow about it), Yakitate Japan, and the new Evangelion 101, so those might be popular. However, remember that pretty much anything you buy will be in Japanese, for native Japanese people, so you might have a hard time selling it to people not versed in the language.

Additionally, Japanese video games are quite unique. I advise against buying anything for the Wii, XBox (original or 360), or Playstation (any of them) because those consoles are what's known as region-locked, meaning if you don't have a Japanese console, you can't play Japanese games (not entirely true, but that's the basic idea). However, the Nintendo DS and the Sony PSP are not region-locked, so those games are safe to buy and play in any region. For suggested games:

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (1 and 2)
    Taiko no Tatsujin (1 and 2)
    Jump Super Stars
    Jump Ultimate Stars
    Tingle's Rupee Land
    Mother (1, 2, and 3)

All except Mother are DS games. Mother is a Famicom game, Mother 2 Super Famicom, Mother 3 Game Boy Advance. However, Mother 1 and 2 were re-released in a combined version for GBA. Mother 3 is almost impossible to find (I found 1 copy between all the game stores I went to, and I went to *a lot* of game stores). Also, the Mother series are RPGs, meaning they might also be difficult to sell to people not versed in Japanese, although I can vouch for their quality (Mother 2 was released stateside as the incredibly popular Earthbound, rated the #1 game most people want to be put on the Wii Virtual Console, and I've personally played Mother 3 and almost finished it).

None of those games are available anywhere outside Japan (internet stores notwithstanding), although the Ouendan series has an English version called Elite Beat Agents. The basic game is the same, but the songs are different (and imo better) in the Japanese version.
    日本語をならっている。 まちがえれば、おねがい知らせてください~!

Quote Originally Posted by Paraphrased from LavaBug
    I remember that day 'cause it's Sailor Mercury's birthday...or is it my mom's?

Здравствуйте!
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333 has a reputation beyond repute aishiteru333's Avatar
    Gil
    Torn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2020 08:46 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Goth/Amai Lolita would be very popular once you return to the UK... I wish I went to Japan, I would spend all my money on Lolita. Also, figurines would make nice gifts if you sold them.

Ruby_MoonT has a reputation beyond repute Ruby_MoonT has a reputation beyond repute Ruby_MoonT has a reputation beyond repute Ruby_MoonT has a reputation beyond repute Ruby_MoonT has a reputation beyond repute Ruby_MoonT has a reputation beyond repute Ruby_MoonT has a reputation beyond repute Ruby_MoonT has a reputation beyond repute Ruby_MoonT has a reputation beyond repute Ruby_MoonT has a reputation beyond repute Ruby_MoonT has a reputation beyond repute Ruby_MoonT's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-15-2008 10:31 PM
    somewhere near the happiest place on earth
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I was going to suggest goth/loli stuff as well but those things are expensive in Japan as well so I don't know how much of a profit you can make. (Actually, I think everything in Japan is expensive so I'm not sure if you'll make a profit off selling anything)

But if you still want to go for it, then there's a somewhat cheaper goth/loli shop called "Body Line" in Harajyuku. They have an online store but they have a store at Harajyuku's famous Takeshita street. If they haven't moved the store since last time I've been there, it should be located around middle of the street on a second floor of another shop.

Other things I would suggest are anime goods from Animate. Posters, keychains, cellphone straps are the basics but Animate also has bags, cups, pens, etc. Pretty much the goodies they sell at anime stores/conventions. Then you can prolly bring them back and then jack-up the price . There's a main store in Akihabara (of course) and there's another store in Ikebukuro. (the Ikebukuro store is catered more toward the female fans so they might have *coughYaoistuffcough*)

Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) will be made into anime for the fall 2008 season!
    aka the series that my avatar is from that no one seems to know about...

Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-25-2009 07:57 PM
    Threads

Technically speaking, the Animate in Ikebukuro is the headquarters of Animate.

Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulshift View Post
    Technically speaking, the Animate in Ikebukuro is the headquarters of Animate.
    Yeah, I was a bit surprised to learn that when I went there after I moved to Meguro. It's a lot more crowded there now after what happened in Akihabara.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Closed Thread

Thread Information