AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: *Read Before Posting!* How to Title Your Thread: A Tutorial

Just Some Color Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2016 01:16 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Default *Read Before Posting!* How to Title Your Thread: A Tutorial

How to Use the New Thread Titling System

Contents
    • Intro
    • How to Title Your Thread When Posting Fanfiction
    • How to Title Your Thread When Posting Original Fiction or Other
    • How This Helps You Use the Site’s Search Function
    • Final Note

Intro

As I’m sure some of you have noticed, there have been changes made to the titles of most threads in this forum. In fact, I have just finished changing all the threads in this forum to this new system, starting from the very oldest we have (dated at 2003 I believe).

Now, I don’t want anyone to feel I am admonishing him or her for having titled his or her work differently. In many cases, the titles were perfectly acceptable, and correct under the old guidelines. My reasons for making changes were to a) make it easier for you and I to manually search the forum for a particular story and b) make using the site’s search function feasible. I have tried to make the new system as simple and efficient as possible, and in fact used the most common methods for titling that I saw throughout the forum.

So without further ado, I shall present the new thread titling system and show you how to use the site’s search function using it. J

How to Title Your Thread When Posting Fanfiction

Fanfiction is loosely defined as fiction written by someone other than the original author using the characters or setting from that author’s piece of work (this may be an anime, a game, a television show, a movie, a book, and so on). Fanfiction will contain original elements, but it is the non-original elements (such as characters) that separate it from original fiction.

Title as follows:
    [Name of Original Work] [Fanfiction]: [Name of the story] [Part or chapter if needed]

So if I am posting, say, Chapter 2 of a Sailor Moon fanfiction story titled “Usagi’s Grand Day Out” I would title my thread as:

Sailor Moon Fanfiction: Usagi’s Grand Day Out: Chapter 2

As I stated above, what I’m looking to achieve is consistency to make searching easy. It should be clear from the title what the original work is, that it is fanfiction, and what the title of the story and chapter/part is (if needed).

Here is a list of all the titles currently in use (from my marathon of re-titling everything ^^). This is only the original works I’ve come across thus far. I’m sure more will be added when someone chooses to write about a new anime/game/etc. In some cases names have been shortened to preserve space. Please refer to this list before posting your story to make sure you’re using the correct title.

Beyblade Fanfiction:
    Bleach Fanfiction:
    Card Captor Sakura Fanfiction:
    Command & Conquer 3 Fanfiction:
    Daria Fanfiction:
    Death Note Fanfiction:
    Devil May Cry Fanfiction:
    Digimon Fanfiction:
    Doom Fanfiction:
    Dragon Ball Fanfiction:
    Eureka 7 Fanfiction:
    Evangelion Fanfiction:
    Final Fantasy Fanfiction:
    Final Fantasy X Fanfiction:
    Fruits Basket Fanfiction:
    Fullmetal Alchemist Fanfiction:
    Fushigi Yuugi Fanfiction:
    Games Fanfiction:
    Gundam Fanfiction:
    Gundam Seed Fanfiction:
    Gundam Wing Fanfiction:
    .hack//SIGN Fanfiction:
    Halo Fanfiction:
    Harry Potter Fanfiction:
    InuYasha Fanfiction:
    Karin Fanfiction:
    Kingdom Hearts Fanfiction:
    La Corda D'Oro Fanfiction:
    Love Hina Fanfiction:
    Macbeth Fanfiction:
    Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Fanfiction:
    MST3K Fanfiction:
    Naruto Fanfiction:
    Negima Fanfiction:
    One Piece Fanfiction:
    Outlaw Star Fanfiction:
    Ouran High School Host Club Fanfiction:
    Perfect Girl Evolution Fanfiction:
    Planetarian Fanfiction:
    Ranma 1/2 Fanfiction:
    Runescape Fanfiction:
    Sailor Moon Fanfiction:
    Sakura Wars Fanfiction:
    Sesame Street Fanfiction:
    Shakugan no Shana Fanfiction:
    Shuffle! Fanfiction:
    Skip Beat! Fanfiction:
    Sonic the Hedgehog Fanfiction:
    Spirit Fanfiction:
    Spirited Away Fanfiction:
    StarCraft Fanfiction:
    Teen Titans Fanfiction:
    TMNT Fanfiction: (for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
    Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle Fanfiction:
    Vampire Knight Fanfiction:
    WoW Fanfiction:
    X-Men Fanfiction:
    You're Under Arrest Fanfiction:
    Yu Yu Hakusho Fanfiction:
    Zelda Fanfiction:

How to Title Your Thread When Posting Original Fiction or Other

Unlike fanfiction, original fiction does not use characters and settings directly from another source such as an anime. The characters, plot, and setting are of your own creation. While an original work may be inspired from another source, it is still original if it is not using that source’s characters and setting. Original non-fiction is an original piece of writing about an actual event or person. This would cover writing about something that occurred in history, or an autobiography (about yourself) or biography (about someone else). While we don’t have any non-fiction writing in this forum that I know of, it is certainly allowed. I’ll add the title option for it anyway.

The currently existing titles for original fiction and other works are as follows:

Essay:
    Original Fiction:
    Original Non-Fiction:
    Round Robin:

So, for example, if I were posting Chapter 2 of an original fiction story titled “My Father’s Grave” I would title my thread as:

Original Fiction: My Father’s Grave: Chapter 2

Simple, yes?

How This Helps You Use the Site’s Search Function

As yes, now we’re getting to why I’m creating fairly strict guidelines for titling your threads, and why spelling in those titles will actually matter. I’m assuming not everyone is familiar with using the search function, so I’ll do this step-by-step with pictures.

First of all, the link to the Search function is found on the right side of the task bar at the top of the forum’s screen. I’ve placed a box around it to clarify.

First of all, when Searching you first want to specify exactly what forum you would like to search in. This is found on the right hand side of the Search page. For the purpose of this tutorial you’ll want to limit your search to the Fanfiction forum. As you can see I highlighted that as my choice and placed a box around it to clarify.

Now that we know what forum we’re searching in, it’s time to tell it what to search for. Move over to the left hand side of the Search page until you find the “Search by Key Word” box. I have placed a box around it to clarify.

When searching by key words there are two options. Use the drop down box to choose the “Search Titles Only” option.

Now you will enter the keyword(s) you want to search for. In my first example I’m searching for “Sailor Moon Fanfiction.” Then I will hit the button “Search Now” found at the bottom center of the Search page.

And there we go. The search came back to show me only threads with “Sailor Moon Fanfiction” in the title, in the Fanfiction forum.

Now, if I had wanted to search for “Original Fiction” instead, this is what the last two images would look like:

Again I’m searching in the Fanfiction forum, and only in the titles. This time I am entering “Original Fiction” as my key words. Then I will hit the “Search Now” button.

Now we have a very different result, with only threads in Fanfiction containing the words “Original Fiction” in their titles.

Using the Search function as your tool, you can easily find the kind of stories you want to read, or even search for the specific story title of something you’ve already read. Searching for “Naruto” or “Naruto Fanfiction” will bring up all Naruto fanfiction. Searching for “Fanfiction” will bring up all the fanfiction, regardless of fandom.

Final Note

I hope this was easy to understand and clarifies what I’m asking you to do, as well as highlights the importance of being consistent with your thread titles. The easier your story is to find the more likely it is someone is going to read and comment on it. Please refer to this thread every time you post a new story or chapter to make sure you’re titling your thread properly. And if in doubt, please send me a PM with questions. I will be adding more title references on here, as there is need for them. If you think I’ve missed one, please do PM me.

Don’t be shy asking about something you don’t understand. If you don’t understand it, it’s very likely someone else won’t either ^^
    Last edited by Fabala; 12-09-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information