AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Yes or No to piracy

Member MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2009 06:22 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Wio View Post
    It's a good thing I never said such, otherwise I would have been wrong, right?
    Assumption. Sorry, my bad in that regards.

So what happens? They dedicate their self to something more productive and society as a whole wins.
    Depends on how you want things to be. If you think the literature, gaming, movie/TV, animation, art industry, engineering products, and scientific work should be left unprotected – then yes, this world would be very economically productive, but so not much scientifically or culturally. It's not profitable under such a system.

My problem is with copyright, not plagiarism. I don't have a problem with someone registering a work under their name, I have a problem with them going after people who "pirate" their work.
    Only universities/schools strictly define and punish plagiarism. In criminal and civil courts, plagiarism would falls under copyright laws. If you throw those out, there's very little (lawfully) that one can do to protect one's intellectual property. In that case, less people would pursue intellectual professions- in all fields, not just art.

Pretty much all copyrighted things are monopolies. To be more accurate they're called competitive natural monopolies. The purpose of copyright law is to allow artists to monopolize on their work.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "exploitation" though.
    I'm in agreement with changing the copyright laws, giving a person an alloted time (15-25 years) is reasonable, but 70 years after death seems a little excessive... Just an opinion...

Never. The artists on YouTube don't depend on copyright to stay viable.

Since you know basic economics, you should know that copyright laws create monopolies which in turn create dead-weight losses in the market, which is bad for the economy.

They would do so to thank them.
    “Bad for the economy” does not necessarily equate to “bad for society.” We would throw government and all its programs out the window if that were the case. Public education, roads, social security, law enforcement, etc. are all funded by taxes that also produce deadweight loss.

Either way, the intent of that part of my post was to demonstrate one thing: people rarely (if at all) give more than they feel is moral or lawful. I have never heard or seen a person randomly walk up to an author who spent hundreds (maybe thousands) of hours producing his work and say “Hey, I loved your book, here’s $10.” Now move that up to a multi-million dollar movie budget- how does a writer or director accumulate such funding if everything is bootlegged or downloaded? Even if a few bucks were given to him here and there, the kindness and generosity of people won’t suffice, especially for those just starting out.

They wouldn't and shouldn't. However creating art doesn't require that you bankrupt yourself.

True, perhaps I was over exaggerating that point. Nonetheless; literature, art, music, scientific research, etc. all require equipment and training – and thus, a loss of time, money, and resources that could be spent elsewhere.
    Last edited by MetalKnight; 04-30-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Anime Sekai Kenkyuuin GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™ has a reputation beyond repute GrimStride™'s Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Systems NES Systems NES Controller Iron Man MkII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-01-2011 10:45 AM
    Threads

Its too bad the arguement took place over night(for me)

So let me just add a simple perspective.Around me people who actually intend to buy a certain movie,software or a game and have the resourses make it happen,do it.People who don't want to pay ridiculous prices simply dont do it and it just so happens that they have the option to download it.If i dont have the money to get Photoshop i simply wont buy it.Tell me if somepne actually knows a person who has more than enough money to buy such an item but just downlods it for the fun of it.I personally dont know such a person and since i live in such a country and interact with these kinds of people daily i could say this goes for alomost everyone.If i were a millionaire or just had enough money to spare for such pleasures i would gladly do it.There aren't as many people as some believe to be actually enjoying it and thinking its cool.So piracy is something like robin hood without the stealing from the rich part lol .Atleast thets the general way of thinking round here
    Last edited by GrimStride™; 04-30-2008 at 02:08 AM.

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    If we were to use the loss of potential for profit as a definition for stealing, then any resale or transfer of an object representing copyrighted material should be considered stealing. If I buy a used copy of MGS4, it's not as though the seller is going to send money to Konami to cover the losses the incurred versus me buying a new one. Whether I lose the master copy or not in the transfer makes no difference to the copyright owner's profit margin, but the people who call digital piracy stealing generally have no problem with the existence of used-goods resellers.
    To be honest, I think it is possible to restrict the resale of a good under copy right law. I mean I saw a copy of Leopard with a "not for resale" sticker in the corner.
    I think that you're right in that the resale of used goods isn't considered stealing unlike downloading. However when you buy a copyrighted good you essentially buy the rights to use and, and when you resell the good you essentially are selling those rights of use because technically you won't be able to use it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalKnight View Post
    Depends on how you want things to be. If you think the literature, gaming, movie/TV, animation, art industry, engineering products, and scientific work should be left unprotected – then yes, this world would be very economically productive, but so not much scientifically or culturally. It's not profitable under such a system.
    I defend the concept of patents, which protect actual invention. However art and invention are two different things.

Invention fills a want that has always existed.
    Art creates a want and then fills it.

People have always wanted the to fly. As a result the plane was invented. However no one ever wanted the Beatles until they existed.

Also, cultural productivity doesn't mean anything to me. I mean recently culture has been anything but productive and copyright law is as strong as it could possibly be. If anything copyright law restricts people from using already-existing art to make even better art.

Only universities/schools strictly define and punish plagiarism. In criminal and civil courts, plagiarism would falls under copyright laws. If you throw those out, there's very little (lawfully) that one can do to protect one's intellectual property. In that case, less people would pursue intellectual professions- in all fields, not just art.
    Like I already said, my problem is restricting use, not assigning credit. Get rid of copy right law and make new laws for assigning credit.

I still think that an artist that only does art to promote themselves or make money shouldn't be an artist. If they can't do art because they enjoy it then they shouldn't screw around with art.

“Bad for the economy” does not necessarily equate to “bad for society.” We would throw government and all its programs out the window if that were the case. Public education, roads, social security, law enforcement, etc. are all funded by taxes that also produce deadweight loss.
    I don't agree with social security for one, and as much as I don't mind education being subsidized, to have it controlled by the government isn't something of which I approve.

Roads, law enforcement, and other subsidies funded by taxes have positive externalities which justify them.

Copyright law may encourage artists, but it also has a negative externalities in that it allows artists to restrict things which should always be in the public domain.

If two people think of extremely similar ideas, the one who makes the idea tangible is the one who wins while the other is screwed. How do you justify this?

Either way, the intent of that part of my post was to demonstrate one thing: people rarely (if at all) give more than they feel is moral or lawful. I have never heard or seen a person randomly walk up to an author who spent hundreds (maybe thousands) of hours producing his work and say “Hey, I loved your book, here’s $10.” Now move that up to a multi-million dollar movie budget- how does a writer or director accumulate such funding if everything is bootlegged or downloaded? Even if a few bucks were given to him here and there, the kindness and generosity of people won’t suffice, especially for those just starting out.
    The reason for this is because many of those artists make tons of money.

But look at open source projects on the web. They always have donations options and people donate money. They sell shirts and other goods for profit. They even will put their work on CDs and sell those CDs. All of these are examples of voluntary support.
    Last edited by Wio; 04-30-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

EDIT: Sorry about the double post.

Junior Member Kauro_Dono has a reputation beyond repute Kauro_Dono has a reputation beyond repute Kauro_Dono has a reputation beyond repute Kauro_Dono has a reputation beyond repute Kauro_Dono has a reputation beyond repute Kauro_Dono has a reputation beyond repute Kauro_Dono has a reputation beyond repute Kauro_Dono has a reputation beyond repute Kauro_Dono has a reputation beyond repute Kauro_Dono has a reputation beyond repute Kauro_Dono has a reputation beyond repute Kauro_Dono's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-30-2008 04:23 PM
    Threads

Well for me...
    .. you Get what you Pay for..
    ^_^

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

To be honest, I think it is possible to restrict the resale of a good under copy right law. I mean I saw a copy of Leopard with a "not for resale" sticker in the corner.
    I think that you're right in that the resale of used goods isn't considered stealing unlike downloading. However when you buy a copyrighted good you essentially buy the rights to use and, and when you resell the good you essentially are selling those rights of use because technically you won't be able to use it anymore.
    I agree- that is how the law works. My point is that the moralistic argument (i.e. depriving the owners of their money) is stupid in light of the fact that a perfectly legal channel does the exact same thing but isn't, apparently, immoral.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Junior Member .Seth has a reputation beyond repute .Seth has a reputation beyond repute .Seth has a reputation beyond repute .Seth has a reputation beyond repute .Seth has a reputation beyond repute .Seth has a reputation beyond repute .Seth has a reputation beyond repute .Seth has a reputation beyond repute .Seth has a reputation beyond repute .Seth has a reputation beyond repute .Seth has a reputation beyond repute .Seth's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-13-2008 10:14 PM
    Threads

I am not against piracy, but then I am not against people getting fined or jailed for it, either. "If you don't get caught, it isn't against the rules" is my view on this particular subject.

Digital Plague demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-02-2012 02:19 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    I agree- that is how the law works. My point is that the moralistic argument (i.e. depriving the owners of their money) is stupid in light of the fact that a perfectly legal channel does the exact same thing but isn't, apparently, immoral.
    Its not the depriving the developers of their money, it is more not rewarding people for their hard work or repaying a company for its R&D costs.
    1st rule of economics, there is no such thing as a free lunch.
    [my stuff] I make my sigs.
    When one bad reps, its a common curtsy to leave one's name. So one can return the favor, in kind.
    [It is your responsibility to keep up the the Magna not mine, so don't be mad at me if you "think" this gives something away.]
    MySpace FaceBook
    Those with a destiny must be sure of themselves and their purpose. If their motivations are not pure, then they may not be the right person to lead the cause.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by demonplight View Post
    Its not the depriving the developers of their money, it is more not rewarding people for their hard work or repaying a company for its R&D costs.
    Thanks for the pointless rephrase. I guess you missed the part where I said "moralistic" and not "economic".

And even from a economic view, allowing resale but not allowing digital piracy still makes no sense in the end. Reselling media still completely deprives the source company of the money they would reap from the sale of new product.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Where did you get the idea that downloading was free? Do you think that the time I spend enjoying the entertainment is free too?
    I could be using that bandwidth and time on something else. It's called "opportunity cost".

You're totally perverting this rule. From an economic standpoint it doesn't mean "you have to pay", but "you pay, regardless".

Member MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight has a reputation beyond repute MetalKnight's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I defend the concept of patents, which protect actual invention. However art and invention are two different things.

Invention fills a want that has always existed.
    Art creates a want and then fills it.

People have always wanted the to fly. As a result the plane was invented. However no one ever wanted the Beatles until they existed.

Also, cultural productivity doesn't mean anything to me. I mean recently culture has been anything but productive and copyright law is as strong as it could possibly be. If anything copyright law restricts people from using already-existing art to make even better art.

…it allows artists to restrict things which should always be in the public domain.
    Like I already said, my problem is restricting use, not assigning credit. Get rid of copy right law and make new laws for assigning credit.
    We won’t agree on this point, since it’s heavily based on our opinions on what we believe what is fair and moral in regards to intellectual property and what is valuable to our society.

The main reason I don't agree with such a distinction spurs from the question, "Why should a person be able to monopolize on a want that has always existed but not one that he himself has created?"

I still think that an artist that only does art to promote themselves or make money shouldn't be an artist. If they can't do art because they enjoy it then they shouldn't screw around with art.
    I agree partially on the second point, but I also believe people should try to work with things they love doing. If art is one’s passion, he should be able to pursue it with a sustainable living. Again, just a personal opinion...

I don't agree with social security for one, and as much as I don't mind education being subsidized, to have it controlled by the government isn't something of which I approve.

Roads, law enforcement, and other subsidies funded by taxes have positive externalities which justify them.

Copyright law may encourage artists, but it also has a negative externalities…
    A copyright law isn’t a negative externality, more like a subsidy/tax. A subsidy for creating an original piece of work… and a tax for crafting things like… Kids Bop IV from other artists' original work.

If two people think of extremely similar ideas, the one who makes the idea tangible is the one who wins while the other is screwed. How do you justify this?
    I can see this happening in the science and engineering fields, where we discover- not create, the rules of our universe… It’s happened between Newton and Liebniz when they were discovering the principles of Calculus.

…But to create a picture, book, movie, or song stroke for stroke, word for word, character for character, note for note isn’t likely (of course, it may happen if one has already heard/read/saw the piece). In either case, copyright does allow room for fair use/citation of material.

The reason for this is because many of those artists make tons of money.

But look at open source projects on the web. They always have donations options and people donate money. They sell shirts and other goods for profit. They even will put their work on CDs and sell those CDs. All of these are examples of voluntary support.
    Hm… Since I don’t know much about this I won’t debate it, but I am curious.

How much do these programs bring in, enough to upkeep servers, script other programs, and make sure it’s worth the time for the people who work on it?

The one problem I see may be the problem of free riders, and the negative mentality it brings to method. For example, in initial startup of the Soviet system, many people were industrious and willing contribute for the greater good of their fellow worker… But many began to laze off as they began to realize that regardless as to how much they put in, everyone would receive product in the end. In the same sense, people obtaining all entertainment for free may become less and less willing to contribute if they see no obligation to do so.

Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Why should a person be able to monopolize on a want that has always existed but not one that he himself has created?
    Inventions solve problems. It's as simple as that. You need to encourage problem solving. A piece of art doesn't solve a problem. It merely entertains.

BTW, the patent system is far less tenacious than copyright law. Patents don't last 75 years after death.
    Why is this? Because inventions, unlike art, MUST be released to public domain sooner. They're necessary.

I agree partially on the second point, but I also believe people should try to work with things they love doing. If art is one’s passion, he should be able to pursue it with a sustainable living. Again, just a personal opinion...
    I'm not saying they shouldn't. I'm saying that there shouldn't be an arbitrary restriction on art--that those who can't sustain living without such a system should get a day job or not do art.

A copyright law isn’t a negative externality, more like a subsidy/tax. A subsidy for creating an original piece of work… and a tax for crafting things like… Kids Bop IV from other artists' original work.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. Copyright law isn't a subsidy/tax.

It's supposed to encourage creativity by granting artists monopolies, but at the same time it also restricts creativity by restricting art at the whims of artists.

…But to create a picture, book, movie, or song stroke for stroke, word for word, character for character, note for note isn’t likely (of course, it may happen if one has already heard/read/saw the piece). In either case, copyright does allow room for fair use/citation of material.
    It's actually not uncommon for people to have similar inspirations, then create something very similar to each other's work, and then accuse each other of copying each other. With copyright law, not only will one lose credit on their work, but they won't be allowed to expand on their own work due to it violating copyright law.

How much do these programs bring in, enough to upkeep servers, script other programs, and make sure it’s worth the time for the people who work on it?
    Basically, yeah. The people who make the programs don't do it to make money. They do it for the accomplishment.

The one problem I see may be the problem of free riders, and the negative mentality it brings to method.
    This doesn't apply. The people are supposed to enjoy the works for free. If you donate it's a way of saying "thank you". Gratitude doesn't need obligation because it's sincere gesture rather than a business one.

Just think about fanfics. They're pieces of art that can't be copyrighted, yet they entertain lots of people.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I understand the logic behind advocates against piracy (anime producers these days are paid very little and the industry is suffering because of this), but I think the government and companies are fundementally mistaken in their current approach. They seem to have the flawed idea that you can simply make people stop doing it by campaiging against it. They should start looking into alternative measures with the assumption that piracy occurs (especially over the Internet). You can already buy music or e-books over the Internet, but the process isn't still perfect. As the system stands now, only people already fans of a particular series will buy a DVD. I usually rent the anime I watch, as the price is fairy reasonable (about 300 yen), but on the other hand very few people would be willing to pay over 10,000 yen (= 100 U.S. dollars) to buy twenty-something episodes of a series they'll probably only watch once. It's fairly ridiculous.

With sites like youtube or veoh or niconico already in existance, I can't see why they won't make a site where you can watch material with advertisements legally, instead of just cracking down on them in the vain hope that they'll magically disappear. I'd be more than happy to sit through a couple minutes of advertisements to watch a show or a movie.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Digital Plague demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight has a reputation beyond repute demonplight's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

the there is no such thing as a free lunch means every thing cost somebody something. it does not refer to opportunity cost as you describe it.

mp2k, the point you made I had alread mad, I was just adding to what you had said. My first post on the topic actually.
    Last edited by demonplight; 05-01-2008 at 06:25 AM.
    When one bad reps, its a common curtsy to leave one's name. So one can return the favor, in kind.
    [It is your responsibility to keep up the the Magna not mine, so don't be mad at me if you "think" this gives something away.]
    MySpace FaceBook
    Those with a destiny must be sure of themselves and their purpose. If their motivations are not pure, then they may not be the right person to lead the cause.

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Why is software different from any other product? Just as much work goes into designing a car, they're riddled with copyrights, trademarks and patents -- and still, you won't find a "not for resale" on a car. You buy the DVD -- you own the DVD (not the contents, perhaps, but the disc is yours.)

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Senior Member Hypergraphian has a reputation beyond repute Hypergraphian has a reputation beyond repute Hypergraphian has a reputation beyond repute Hypergraphian has a reputation beyond repute Hypergraphian has a reputation beyond repute Hypergraphian has a reputation beyond repute Hypergraphian has a reputation beyond repute Hypergraphian has a reputation beyond repute Hypergraphian has a reputation beyond repute Hypergraphian has a reputation beyond repute Hypergraphian has a reputation beyond repute Hypergraphian's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2010 09:13 AM
    Threads

For me I'm a piracy supporter at the moment. My country is unfortunately the world's best place for piracy and it's because we don't exactly have many vendors selling the authentic option. Actually, we don't have any vendors selling original animes around here, which sucks. The shops that we have mainly sell bootlegs and charge us a hefty price for them as well. I had a couple of friends buy them for years thinking they were the real thing, sad. In other words, we are heavily reliant on those (God Bless them) diligent subbers and their good work. Without them, I don't think we'd have any anime to watch at all.

However should a licensed distributor set themselves up, I will cease to support piracy, provided they bring in all the latest shows. Otherwise, I guess you could say it will still be legal for us to download since technically, no one would own rights to the new titles anyway.

On ordering online? I live in a country where that is way too expensive. My currency is crappy and if I had to do that I'd be broke. It's just not affordable.

~*Why don't they get tired, Because they're fools, Don't fools get tired, How can fools get tired?*~ www.hypergraphiansmuse.blogspot.com
    AF Family
    "Red" - Younger brother
    "*Ninna* ~ Hatake - Sister-in-law"

Banned Forum / Chat Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-29-2008 12:08 PM
    Threads

I ldon't mind spending a lot on DVD's. It just makes them more treasurable. Things are given a high price for a reason and that must mean that they are worth it.

Next Week the first special edition volume of "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" is going to be released here in the UK. Now I 'COULD' just go on Ebay and buy a pirate copy of the complete season OR spend thirty whole pounds on just the first volume. Guess what...I'm going to get the First genuine Volume. ^_^
    Reason: PIRACY SUCKS!! I cannot stand poor quality and terrible subtitles! Plus you get lots of items and extra's with the official release. XD
    Fully - Fledged - Absolute - Hardcore ''Otaku''
    Just Like This 'Kawaii' Girl Here.[Izumi Konata]

Senior Member Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-20-2016 09:10 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Amray View Post
    Things are given a high price for a reason and that must mean that they are worth it.
    the high price doesn´t mean that they worth it. the market is very speculative and when we are talking about new things even more.
    but the price is very linked with quality but we cannot forget that are people who give value to things so a 300$ Iphone may be an affordable thing some guy and to another something that don´t value a penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypergraphian View Post
    For me I'm a piracy supporter at the moment. My country is unfortunately the world's best place for piracy and it's because we don't exactly have many vendors selling the authentic option. Actually, we don't have any vendors selling original animes around here, which sucks. The shops that we have mainly sell bootlegs and charge us a hefty price for them as well

However should a licensed distributor set themselves up, I will cease to support piracy, provided they bring in all the latest shows. Otherwise, I guess you could say it will still be legal for us to download since technically, no one would own rights to the new titles anyway.
    You support piracy or you "accept" piracy? It´s different..
    i understand your point of view although in my opinion you shouldn´t support piracy only because in your country you cannot get access to anime or stuff like that.
    here in portugal is very difficult to get any manga or anime. there are few stores where we cam get good stuff. very few. but i still don´t support piracy.

it´s hard to say but the world is not all democratized and people don´t have the same opportunities. Japanese or American people have so much more opportunities of get good manga or anime stuff than portuguese people as an example. and we have to understand that.
    i love Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu and there was a concert in japan about it with the cast singing and dancing the anime songs. it was very difficult to people from other countries be there.

So if we have the conditions to get the stuff very well. if we don´t we shouldn´t support piracy for that..

Quote Originally Posted by Datenshi View Post
    As the system stands now, only people already fans of a particular series will buy a DVD. I usually rent the anime I watch, as the price is fairy reasonable (about 300 yen), but on the other hand very few people would be willing to pay over 10,000 yen (= 100 U.S. dollars) to buy twenty-something episodes of a series they'll probably only watch once. It's fairly ridiculous.
    i payed 175 € (more or less 115$) for the whole collection of Friends
    manga i buy is about 10$ each (very expensive for portugal)
    animes are about 30$ each
    and i can get all that for free if i download them in the internet
    but do i do it? no.. why? i think it´s wrong and i want a big and real collection of manga and anime and for that i have to save money. i don´t have money this month? wait for the next one. it´s simple. if we don´t have conditions we just have to wait.

I even spent more than 200€ buying Queen´s DVD
    Last edited by Kobarokawa-San; 05-01-2008 at 01:17 PM.
    The Supreme Ruler
    of The Whole
    Universe

Banned Forum / Chat Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray has a reputation beyond repute Amray's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-29-2008 12:08 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kobarokawa-San View Post
    the high price doesn´t mean that they worth it. the market is very speculative and when we are talking about new things even more.
    but the price is very linked with quality but we cannot forget that are people who give value to things so a 300$ Iphone may be an affordable thing some guy and to another something that don´t value a penny.
    That is not really what I meant. Sorry about my choice of words.
    What I meant was that if you look at any Classic DVD they are often even more expensive than the newer released ones. That is because they are so decent that they shall remain at a reasonable price due to it's popularity and awesomness.

Well something beyond the lines of that anyway. ^^;
    Fully - Fledged - Absolute - Hardcore ''Otaku''
    Just Like This 'Kawaii' Girl Here.[Izumi Konata]

Senior Member Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San has a reputation beyond repute Kobarokawa-San's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-20-2016 09:10 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Amray View Post
    That is not really what I meant. Sorry about my choice of words.
    What I meant was that if you look at any Classic DVD they are often even more expensive than the newer released ones. That is because they are so decent that they shall remain at a reasonable price due to it's popularity and awesomness.

Well something beyond the lines of that anyway. ^^;
    I understand your point Amray and i believe in that too
    only we that understand the real value of the things accept their high price right?
    i wanted to buy the first special edition volume of "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" but i don´t find it here... and i am sure i wont
    but i will try to order it in the internet
    The Supreme Ruler
    of The Whole
    Universe

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

the there is no such thing as a free lunch means every thing cost somebody something. it does not refer to opportunity cost as you describe it.
    Most economists will use the quote to demonstrate the latter purpose- opportunity cost. However, it is equally fitting to interpret quote as a comment on the distribution of costs.

Graphic Designer omniking3 has a reputation beyond repute omniking3 has a reputation beyond repute omniking3 has a reputation beyond repute omniking3 has a reputation beyond repute omniking3 has a reputation beyond repute omniking3 has a reputation beyond repute omniking3 has a reputation beyond repute omniking3 has a reputation beyond repute omniking3 has a reputation beyond repute omniking3 has a reputation beyond repute omniking3 has a reputation beyond repute omniking3's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-03-2008 10:57 PM
    The world which I create from my perceptions
    Threads

I admit to having pirated almost 1,000 US dollars in fonts, and another 5000 US dollars on Photoshop CS3, but then again, I'm not selling my work, and im HELPING people learn photoshop, people who in turn WANT TO GO BUY IT. And about the fonts...fonts are artwork, artwork that can be use over and over again to make more beauty. Do you know why i decided to download a font? because I saw it somewhere and asked about it. Once again, only more publicity for the creator. I understand that piracy can hurt the cash-flow of businesses and people more than it help though, so I dont pirate anything else but graphic design stuff. I'm all for freedom of art, so I like creative commons. Art is about spreading beauty and knowledge, not SELLING IT. I hate people who try to sell photoshop work. Screw that, even if i had the cash i wouldn't buy it, because id rather learn how to MAKE IT MYSELF, so i could TEACH OTHER PEOPLE, so they would be happy knowing something.
    Last edited by omniking3; 05-01-2008 at 03:01 PM.

My Fan Bars:

Currently taking requests! YAY!

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

At some point it actually gets to this, why are people pirating software when there are many free ware applications that are competitive a list I found for example
    THE LIST

Also if you are a student you can often get discounts on many software packages.
    THE DISCOUNTS

With this in mind if you are a citizen of a nation, who does honor copyright laws, then despite what you believe you are breaking the law, and violating a social contract. making it unethical.
    Last edited by demonplight; 05-01-2008 at 03:50 PM.
    MySpace FaceBook

Senior Member Red Phantoms is just really nice Red Phantoms is just really nice Red Phantoms is just really nice Red Phantoms is just really nice Red Phantoms is just really nice Red Phantoms's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-18-2009 04:09 PM
    Threads

well actualy in some developed coutry it TOO expansive to get the licence and their connection is too slow to get those freeware in instant so most of them will chose to pirating it. well i sure that those pepole are honor it but you just cant dictate their wallet about their dire needs except you donate for their bill and make their conection faster. even with the interpol swarming around those country you cant kill piracy that easily.
    Last edited by Red Phantoms; 05-01-2008 at 04:22 PM.
    We observe all.....Then when do we move?
    We cant just wait and see right?
    Well just let your imagination works since we are the Phantoms
    Zieg Phantoms!!!

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Still doesn't mean that it is ethical.
    Also if they don't have the speed to DL the free stuff, how do they get the pirated stuff.
    And what countries are we talking about?

With this argument i find a problem because Open source software is often funded so that people in developing countries can get competitive software.
    I will go further to compare Gimp to PhotoShop.
    Un less you are doing large High resolution imaging, there is no real difference.
    The only reason I have CS 2 is because I bought 5 copies for 5 computers, and sold only 4 of them. so mine now.
    Word processors you can get along fine with open office.
    Internet fire fox.
    Even WoW can be played on free servers.
    OS there is Ubuntu.

Additionally if your country is really that bad off why does the common person need PhotoShop? I can understand a OS, but things like luxuries are different. I am refering to places like the Congo, where they don't have schools.
    And don't tell me China is a developing country, they just don't care about international laws such as patents, and copyrights. they just feel that it is there right to take it. One of the reasons you can find low quality knock offs of Ipods, and even get things such as LCD picture frames with computer viruses on them.

"China Steals Nukes, and Counterfeits American Crafts!"
    1999-07-25 until 1999-07-25
    Made in the USA Foundation: American Crafts Project
    Washington, DC, USA United States of America

Target Stores are selling counterfeit American Crafts, charged the Made in the USA Foundation in a complaint filed with the International Trade Commission March 26, 1999. According to the craft artist, T. M. Hoff of New Paltz, New York, Target Stores ordered one of his pottery lanterns a few years ago and sent it to China to have cheap copies reproduced.

The Made in the USA Foundation has joined T.M. Hoff Handmade in filing the complaint with the International Trade Commission. Joel D. Joseph, chairman of the Foundation said, We have let China walk all over us. China steals our nuclear weapons and missile technology and illegally copies our intellectual property. From movies and music to software and even craftwork, China has no respect for our copyrights, trademarks and patents. According to Hoff, Dayton Hudson (parent of Target) ordered samples for product evaluation in 1996. Two years later, cheap Chinese copies began appearing in Target Stores across the United States. Mr. Hoff added: An organization as large as Dayton Hudson should pay a product designer for the goods they sell. In our case it copied the design of our most important product and offered us nothing in return. We are a four-person studio business operating out of our home. I guess they thought we were too small to fight back. The complaint seeks to have the counterfeit goods seized and destroyed. T.M. Hoff and the Made in the USA Foundation also seek to prohibit the importation of these counterfeit lanterns. The Foundation working with the Rosen Group, Inc and AmericanStyle Magazine has established the American Crafts Project to assist craft artists when their works are copied overseas. For more information call: Joel D. Joseph Wendy Rosen American Crafts Project AmericanStyle Magazine 202.822.0197 410.889.3093 Made in the USA Foundation American Crafts Project 1828 L Street NW #1000 Washington, DC 20036 Fax: 202.822.6062
    Last edited by demonplight; 05-01-2008 at 04:19 PM.
    MySpace FaceBook

Closed Thread

Thread Information