AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Elfen Lied- LILIUM

Junior Member SakuraLeeChan is on a distinguished road SakuraLeeChan's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-21-2008 12:52 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Elfen Lied- LILIUM

The lyrics

Konnichiwa,

I just wanted to correct the translation for the lyrics, as someone who studies latin at school I noticed a few things ^^

Os iusti meditabitur sapientiam- The Mouth of justice meditates wisdom
    Corrected sentence:
    The Mouth of Justice is meditating wisdom,
    Okay, the verb meditabitur is actually present passive indicative and would usually be translated as 'is being...' but to make it into more natural english but keeping the basic translation 'is meditating' fitted.

Et lingua eius loquetur indicium- and his language, the tongue is made clear.
    Corrected sentence:
    and his tongue is speaking of a sign.
    lingua means tongue and eius his. loquetur is also present passive so 'is speaking' fitted. indiciumis an accusative word so it is the thing being spoken.

Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem,- Bless man which suffers temptation
    Corrected sentence:
    A happy man who suffers temptation,
    Beatus vir means a happy man, qui means who and suffert being the present active indicative means 'suffers' or 'is suffering'. tentationem is the accusative, so it is what the happy man is suffering.

Quoniqm cum probates fuerit accipient coronam vitae.- Since, he, with striving, will have received life's crown.
    Corrected sentence:
    Since he is with approval, they recieve the crown of life.
    ahh~ this sentence was a mess xD I found it difficult to translate myself but first of its Quonium NOT Quoniqm. yeah, a typo. ^^
    Quonium means since, fuerit is the perfect active so it is 'He is' ( english words in the perfect active are translated with 'ed' on the end but since you can't do that with the verb to be, that is how I translated it.) ^^ cum means with and probates (after a very long time of searching) means approval. accipient is the present active (plural) and translates as 'they are recieving' or 'they recieve' (not to be confused with the infinitive) . coronam is the accusative, its the thing being recieved and vitae is singular genitive so its 'of life'.

Kyrie, ignis divine, eleison Oh Lord, Fire Divine, have mercy!
    Corrected sentence:
    Oh Lord, Fire by divine power, have mercy!
    Kyrie and eleison is actually greek ^^ *nods* the fire divine and fire by divine power (yes! xD it rhymes) thing is very minor, and I changed it because the translation already given suggests that divine is a noun while divine is actually an adverb. (strange considering there is no verb as it doesn't agree with eleison for obvious reasons...) The rest is correct.

O quam sancta, quam serena,quam benigma, quam amoena O castitatis lilium- Oh, How Holy! How Serene! How Kind! How Pleasant!Oh Pure Lily!
    Corrected:
    Oh, how holy! How serene! How kind! How pleasant, Oh Lily of chasitity.
    All of the beginning is right for this part but at the end- castitatis is the genitive singular of castitas which means chastity. so its 'of chastity'.
    Oh, and its Benigna NOT benigma. ^^
    So...
    Before:
    The Mouth of Justice meditates wisdom,
    and his language, the tongue is made clear.

Bless man which suffers temptation,
    since he with striving, will have recieved life's crown.

Oh Lord, Fire Divine, have mercy!

Oh, how holy! How serene! How kind! How pleasant! Oh pure Lily!

The full corrected version:

The Mouth of Justice is meditating wisdom,
    and his tongue is speaking of a sign.

A happy man who suffers temptation,
    Since he is with approval, they recieve the crown of life.

Oh Lord, Fire by divine power, have mercy!

Oh, how holy! How serene! How kind! How pleasant, Oh Lily of chasitity.

And the two typos:

Quonium NOT Quoniqm.
    benigna NOT benigma.

[/endless explaining]

Ja ne,
    -Sakura L.
    Last edited by SakuraLeeChan; 02-21-2008 at 12:55 PM.

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

Not only that but it actually had the wrong credits... not the poster's fault though, something in the coding went berserk and it copied the ED's credits.

Oh DM, must you do things so ignorantly at times...

But hang on a minute; though your last two lines do sound like what it should, some words would probably be changed to suit the rest if you know what I mean... for instance, "information" is too modern.

...so that you know where you can find me

Junior Member SakuraLeeChan is on a distinguished road SakuraLeeChan's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-21-2008 12:52 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Okay ^^ I thought that too but finding another meaning for indicium was argh xD does ' a sign' sound a bit better? ^^

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

Yep, looks fine now.

...so that you know where you can find me

Closed Thread

Thread Information