AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Why do no manga characters look Japanese?

Junior Member shadowlight166 is on a distinguished road shadowlight166's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-01-2008 02:10 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Why do no manga characters look Japanese?

I'm a relatively new fan of manga and I've noticed that nearly all of characters in manga and anime look European and not Japanese. Does anybody know why?

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 11:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Anime was inspired by the early Disney style of large eyes. They took this concept and exaggerated it a bit. The reason for the bright-colored hair and eyes is to distinguish the characters from each other.

If you think about it, characters with ONLY black hair and dark eyes would be very boring to watch.

If you are familar with Rumiko Takahashi's works (Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2) most of her characters look quite Japanese (ignoring the large eyes) unless they are not humans or foreign.

Nice Boat Captain Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Strawberry Nunchaku Blue Saber
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-09-2021 05:03 AM
    The Hellish Death Realms where demons dwell (a.k.a. Planet Earth)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 小美ドクロchan View Post
    Anime was inspired by the early Disney style of large eyes. They took this concept and exaggerated it a bit. The reason for the bright-colored hair and eyes is to distinguish the characters from each other.

If you think about it, characters with ONLY black hair and dark eyes would be very boring to watch.

If you are familar with Rumiko Takahashi's works (Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2) most of her characters look quite Japanese (ignoring the large eyes) unless they are not humans or foreign.
    She's right. Anyways, I'd like to know how the Japanese feel about the Chinese starring in their live-action movies, like DBZ for example. Are they like, too shy to play the roles? I think it would be nice to see the Japanese portray their anime characters, but(no offense to the Japanese) Japanese people aren't really that tall, neither are the Chinese. >.<;

Oh, Hi-deeki, imagine... your kind not eating raw fish! ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE38SKRT4ak

Taiga ga suki da. KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2010 12:32 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

They might not look like Japanese, but I don't think they look European either.^^;

バン!バン!
    ---

|

---
    [sketches] | [sig thread]

Nice Boat Captain Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by baka_black View Post
    They might not look like Japanese, but I don't think they look European either.^^;
    Some anime characters that are supposed to be human don't even look human! Oh wait... isn't that American animation? My niece think some anime characters look Hispanic. -_-; What i've noticed is, why aren't there any Asian looking people(besides Japanese) and African Americans, Hispanic, etc people in anime?

Member Lelouch of the rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Lelouch of the rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Lelouch of the rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Lelouch of the rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Lelouch of the rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Lelouch of the rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Lelouch of the rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Lelouch of the rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Lelouch of the rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Lelouch of the rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Lelouch of the rebellion has a reputation beyond repute Lelouch of the rebellion's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-21-2008 09:30 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Chii Motosuwa View Post
    She's right. Anyways, I'd like to know how the Japanese feel about the Chinese starring in their live-action movies, like DBZ for example. Are they like, too shy to play the roles? I think it would be nice to see the Japanese portray their anime characters, but(no offense to the Japanese) Japanese people aren't really that tall, neither are the Chinese. >.<;
    Do you know who the tallest man in the NBA is right now? Yao Ming. LOL isn't that hilarious they are stereotyped as small (for the most part they are) but the sport of giants, is led by a chinese man.

Also try reading prince of tennis they look pretty japanese. Same with Flame of recca

Jumonji Baka Kawaii IV
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2009 09:27 AM
    Threads

Some anime characters that are supposed to be human don't even look human! Oh wait... isn't that American animation? My niece think some anime characters look Hispanic. -_-; What i've noticed is, why aren't there any Asian looking people(besides Japanese) and African Americans, Hispanic, etc people in anime?
    Because the Japanese aren't surrounded by these races generally. Especially Hispanic. Hence why most African-American anime characters are male, bald, and have big lips. They're just going off by what they see.

深く根ざした||傷は消えない
    Hide it, Hide it, Hide me

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

There are. Anime with them is not that common but it's out there. See Full Metal Panic for reference.

Senior Member Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome's Avatar
    Gil
    Depressed
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-29-2014 10:36 AM
    Threads

There's a black guy in Ikki Tousen. There are actually alot of other people races in anime rather than japanese they just pale in comparison of the amount of japanese in anime. Also it's not like that in all manga, you may have to look close but you can usually spot japanese or asian characteristics in a character, such as Kei Fu in Negima
    Samuraipanda [STAFF] 2008-04-02 00:26:25
    i would like to touch her bun
    Katybear [MOD] 2008-04-02 00:27:45
    O.o .... Whos bun? lol
    Metronome [VIP] 2008-04-02 00:28:01
    Uh-oh...thought you were hibernating, so you gonna maul him now or later? X3
    Welcome Back, Metronome! There have been 527419 posts, 29053 threads and 53924 blog entries since your last visit at 04:33 AM 06-05-2009.
    LOL oops...

boopaloop! Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-19-2013 11:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I dont think the whole disney thing is true... I mean, if it were true, then how come there's so many old school mangas, drawing and art, that have been around long before Disney?
    making emo kids[/URL] cry since 1998

Senior Member Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome has a reputation beyond repute Metronome's Avatar
    Gil
    Depressed
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-29-2014 10:36 AM
    Threads

You're right Dorian, seeing as the first anime can be traced back to 1907 far before the Disney era. Though some believe manga was highly influenced by the American style of Disney I find it almost impossible to believe they did not have a certain style before that point
    Samuraipanda [STAFF] 2008-04-02 00:26:25
    i would like to touch her bun
    Katybear [MOD] 2008-04-02 00:27:45
    O.o .... Whos bun? lol
    Metronome [VIP] 2008-04-02 00:28:01
    Uh-oh...thought you were hibernating, so you gonna maul him now or later? X3
    Welcome Back, Metronome! There have been 527419 posts, 29053 threads and 53924 blog entries since your last visit at 04:33 AM 06-05-2009.
    LOL oops...

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Wow....I guess the Disney thing isn't true then! I didn't know it was THAT old...XD;

Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lelouch of the rebellion View Post
    Do you know who the tallest man in the NBA is right now? Yao Ming. LOL isn't that hilarious they are stereotyped as small (for the most part they are) but the sport of giants, is led by a chinese man.

Also try reading prince of tennis they look pretty japanese. Same with Flame of recca
    Yeah, that is kind of funny, but the thing is, I'm Chinese and I'm quite average for my height, but I'm taller than any of the other Asians in my school, I used to be the shortest, even shorter than the Asian girls.

PS: I heard that Disney or the ol' Popeye cartoons inspired the, "Father of Anime." I don't really remember this article, but I'm just saying.

Member Zoga is a name known to all Zoga is a name known to all Zoga is a name known to all Zoga is a name known to all Zoga is a name known to all Zoga is a name known to all Zoga's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-21-2008 01:50 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlight166 View Post
    I'm a relatively new fan of manga and I've noticed that nearly all of characters in manga and anime look European and not Japanese. Does anybody know why?

Because we European are hot.

Nonconfirmist Goatherder Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov has a reputation beyond repute Aizmov's Avatar
    Gil
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-20-2016 06:43 PM
    Threads

It is not like they look European or African either

Quote Originally Posted by Zoga View Post
    Because we European are hot.
    keep telling yourself that

crazy and insane lameness shirogane_hitsugaya has a reputation beyond repute shirogane_hitsugaya has a reputation beyond repute shirogane_hitsugaya has a reputation beyond repute shirogane_hitsugaya has a reputation beyond repute shirogane_hitsugaya has a reputation beyond repute shirogane_hitsugaya has a reputation beyond repute shirogane_hitsugaya has a reputation beyond repute shirogane_hitsugaya has a reputation beyond repute shirogane_hitsugaya has a reputation beyond repute shirogane_hitsugaya has a reputation beyond repute shirogane_hitsugaya has a reputation beyond repute shirogane_hitsugaya's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-25-2008 09:11 PM
    Threads

don't get it.....how is that so....???

Sig made by Aya_TemariSan...Thanks, Aya!!! I love you!!!>.0

Senior Member allaboutyou3678 has a reputation beyond repute allaboutyou3678 has a reputation beyond repute allaboutyou3678 has a reputation beyond repute allaboutyou3678 has a reputation beyond repute allaboutyou3678 has a reputation beyond repute allaboutyou3678 has a reputation beyond repute allaboutyou3678 has a reputation beyond repute allaboutyou3678 has a reputation beyond repute allaboutyou3678 has a reputation beyond repute allaboutyou3678 has a reputation beyond repute allaboutyou3678 has a reputation beyond repute allaboutyou3678's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-03-2008 08:41 PM
    Threads

I don't think it because manga is general black and white since inking every character to have that Asian skin pigmentation would be a little to time consuming and pointless. Just a guess though. If you meant as in appearances anime characters don't look anything often(meaing not European not black not hispanic or North American).

I luv Irish+mac n'cheez NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2009 02:25 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: No Wii

Anime simply? is heavily influenced by the west, if you notice? 95 &#37; of Anime characters are Caucasian, this to me shows that the Anime Industry, based on it's coloring, as wel as the Manga Industry, is heavily influenced by the west and doesn't really go with the culture of the country it's from

That's just my opinion anyway.
    If Anyone has a question about the Anime Industry, be it "What to buy?" Or my opinion on a certain topic. Feel Free to IM Me.

Note: Please make it ledgible and readable before you send it(No Chatspeak please)

Note: Any Questions on "Where can I get things for free" or Piracy issues: Will be met with a Fist of an Angry God(Ignored)

Gil
    Tired
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

The Japanese should draw a character after me, because I look Japanese in appearance. Anyways, aren't people forgetting about DBZ??

Senior Member Tayuya+ has a reputation beyond repute Tayuya+ has a reputation beyond repute Tayuya+ has a reputation beyond repute Tayuya+ has a reputation beyond repute Tayuya+ has a reputation beyond repute Tayuya+ has a reputation beyond repute Tayuya+ has a reputation beyond repute Tayuya+ has a reputation beyond repute Tayuya+ has a reputation beyond repute Tayuya+ has a reputation beyond repute Tayuya+ has a reputation beyond repute Tayuya+'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-08-2008 05:53 PM
    Threads

It does seem like most anime characters look White. There are some exceptions though!

Kouhei Morioka from Moon Phase looks pretty Japanese.

I'd also say Rin Sohma from Fruits Basket looks Asian.

Lewis from Blood+ is African American.

But, it does seem like the majority of anime characters look Caucasian.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Anime simply? is heavily influenced by the west, if you notice? 95 % of Anime characters are Caucasian, this to me shows that the Anime Industry, based on it's coloring, as wel as the Manga Industry, is heavily influenced by the west and doesn't really go with the culture of the country it's from
    I sincerely don't mean to rant, but I find just can't let that go.

1. Anime, like many things in Japanese culture, is heavily influenced by foreign cultures (traditionally China and Korea and then the West roughly before and after the Meiji Restoration). But historically Japanese are also very adept at taking foreign items and assimilating them so they are distinctly their own (e.g. wearing a black suit and tie to a Buddhist funeral). I think anime is a good example. Anyhow, if anime doesn't "go with" the culture of Japan, where exactly does it "go with"? I have a hard time imagining Lucky Star coming from the U.S., but that may just be me.

2. As for the question of color, I don't quite understand what you mean, because what are you supposed to color Japanese-looking anime characters with on a white page...*ergh, it pains me to even say this* yellow? And don't give me eye or hair color either, because only when the day I see a Caucasian with purple eyes or naturally green hair would that argument begin to make sense.

3. I assume you haven't read a lot of manga beyond the current mainstream because if you look far back enough at manga before the whole moe-style drawing (amazingly colored eyes/hair) took to force you would see that isn't true at all. But far more importantly, what made (and makes) manga unique in the first place is far from the way the people were drawn, but the freer layout of pictures and letters that allows for more dynamic sequences. Which incidentally I believe was first perfected by Tezuka Osamu, but that would be another argument entirely.
    Last edited by Datenshi; 03-01-2008 at 01:06 AM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Don Asterisco TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2019 06:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Parugin

Because they are pictures. Drawings. Not very realistic or lifelike drawings.
    They don't look like Europenas or caucaisians, either. They just look like peculiar cartoons.

Ahh...the simplicity in my answer is...exhilirating...

As for anime not reflecting the contemporary culture of Japan...well...I don't know much about Japan and I don't pretend to, but I do know that they'll put just about anything on TV over there, so anime doesn't strike me as out of place at all.
    The culture of Japan has changed rapidly over the last couple of centuries, and the contemporary culture has some but little to do with the traditional Japanese culture. It's a fairly westernized country today.

Closed Thread

Thread Information