AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: School Rumble - Luchador

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts Clannad Botan Snowman Neko Tv
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2020 10:22 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rizuchan01 PSN ID: rizuchan01 Steam ID: rizuchan

Default School Rumble - Luchador

http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/sch...2/luchador.htm

I submitted the romaji a long time ago, but this is the translation I'm working on. It's pretty straightforward but there's a couple little things I need some help with.

If you love him
    Take him by force!
    It's irritating

AH! That's that!
    WO! This's this!
    OH! That's that! [1]
    Isn't that right!?
    (Viva! El niña!) [2]

Luchador! That's what I am!
    Luchador! So I can't ever give up!
    I came here for the sole purpose of fighting the greatest fighter in the world!
    Luchador! Though that's what I am
    Luchador! Somehow, my size is a "D!"
    The greatest woman in the world: my name is Gonzales!

Though you fall in love, that's that, this's this!

If you love him
    Take him with your life at stake!
    It's irritating!

AH! That's that!
    WO! This's this!
    OH! That's that![1]
    Isn't that right!?
    (Thor hammer!)

AH! That's that!
    WO! This's this!
    OH! That's that![1]
    Isn't that right!?
    (Thor hammer!)

[1]AH! ソレハソレ!
     WO! コレハコレ!
     OH! アレハアレ!

both ソレ and アレ mean "that"... is there any way I could phrase it to distinguish between the two?

[2] ビバ! エルニーニャ!
    If it wasn't obvious from the title, the character is mexican... so I figured this is Spanish. I have it above as "Viva! El niña!" which seems to make sense, but I thought 'el' with 'niña' isn't right... and my more Spanish educated friend agrees. Are there any other idea to what this means, or do the writers just suck at Spanish?

Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-25-2009 07:57 PM
    Threads

それはそれ、これはこれ -> This is an idiom indicating that the speaker feels that two seemingly related matters are in fact unrelated.

eg.
    a> 料理を作るのは絶対いや!
    b> いつでも手伝ってあげるっていったんじゃないか?!
    a> それはそれ、これはこれ!

> Though you fall in love
    Should be: Though I may fall in love (subject is the singer)

>If you love him
    >Take him by force!
    >It's irritating

I think it would be more natural to translate "Iraira suru zo" as "It's driving me nuts!". Similarly, the next matching stanza could be translated more naturally as well.

Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

> Though you fall in love
    Should be: Though I may fall in love (subject is the singer)
    I don't think the subject is the singer. The reason for this is because in the series, the singer Lala has a sort of friend/rival Ichijou. Ichijou likes a boy that doesn't like her back and Lala is always telling her something along the lines of "Just take him by force!"

I understood the idiom, I think saying "that's that, this is this" in English has a pretty much equivelent meaning (Though it tends to be a bit ruder sounding, I think)

"It's driving me nuts" is a good way of putting "iraira suru zo" though, I think I'll use that if you don't mind ^-^

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 1
    Kikyosama has a reputation beyond repute Kikyosama has a reputation beyond repute Kikyosama has a reputation beyond repute Kikyosama has a reputation beyond repute Kikyosama has a reputation beyond repute Kikyosama has a reputation beyond repute Kikyosama has a reputation beyond repute Kikyosama has a reputation beyond repute Kikyosama has a reputation beyond repute Kikyosama has a reputation beyond repute Kikyosama has a reputation beyond repute Kikyosama's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-08-2014 05:10 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I think "Viva! La Niña" or "Viva! El Niño"
    La is she
    El is he
    Niña is she
    Niño is he

I sure ^.^

殺してやるカカロット。
    Koroshite yaru Kakarotto.
    Te mataré Kakarot.
    Et mataré Kakarot.

Mukashi no ore ni modoritakattanda!!!!

Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift is just really nice Soulshift's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

The main theme of the song seems to be: "I may have many attributes (strength, desire to fight) that may make it seem that I am a man, but I am in fact a woman!"

This is why I feel that the line should read "Though I may fall in love" -

> I came here for the sole purpose of fighting the greatest fighter in the world!
    > Though I may fall in love, that's that and this is this!

Also, El nina also makes sense here - combining the masculine "El" (he) with the feminine "Niña"

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

Yea, I'm sure you all know about the character (I hope... you wouldn't be doing this if you haven't watched SukuRan, no?) and relate from it.

...so that you know where you can find me

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by AzureDark View Post
    Yea, I'm sure you all know about the character (I hope... you wouldn't be doing this if you haven't watched SukuRan, no?) and relate from it.
    Er... no. I'm just getting this from reading the lyrics.

It's just that the line "koi mosuru keredo sore wa sore kore wa kore!" would be very awkward if it were referring to another person and not to the singer. It's hard to put my finger on the reason.

I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Gil
    sunshine
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

I think Azuredark was talking to me? Anyway, I love Sukuran far more than I should...

It's just that the line "koi mosuru keredo sore wa sore kore wa kore!" would be very awkward if it were referring to another person and not to the singer. It's hard to put my finger on the reason.
    I understand what you're saying. I think the lyricist probably made the subject ambiguous on purpose, so it could apply to either...

But I was thinking about it, and the first stanza at least, the subject should definitely be Ichijou (or at least 'you' whoever that might be) rather than Lala.
    "If you love him, then take him by force! [The fact that you're not doing so] is irritating!/driving me nuts!"
    but if its
    "If I'm in love, I'll take them by force! It's irritating!"
    There's nothing for her to be irritated about if she's talking about herself.

The line you're talking about I think could go either way, I chose 'you' as the subject to match with the beginning, but perhaps it should be more ambiguous? like "Though one falls in love, that's that, this is this!"

Also, El nina also makes sense here - combining the masculine "El" (he) with the feminine "Niña"
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks for that one!

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Rizuchan View Post
    There's nothing for her to be irritated about if she's talking about herself.
    Yeah, that's probably right then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizuchan View Post
    The line you're talking about I think could go either way, I chose 'you' as the subject to match with the beginning, but perhaps it should be more ambiguous? like "Though one falls in love, that's that, this is this!"
    Well again, I still think the も makes it unambiguously first person, but of course I could be wrong

Gil
    sunshine
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Well again, I still think the も makes it unambiguously first person, but of course I could be wrong
    Ok, ok, you win. If you're so sure about it, you're probably right. I think that takes care of everything I was unsure about, so I guess I'll fix this up and submit it. Thanks a lot!

Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

As a sort of footnote to clarify any doubts, I think I can put a finger on Soulshift's feeling.

The nuance of 「(それは/確かに)~もするけど」 is: "indeed, it may be true that I do X (=fall in love), but... (that's that and this is this)".

You can see that there is a nuance of admitting a fact, of giving away ground in an argument. It's logical to assume that when a subject is admitting X, then the subject is making the statement (you usually don't admit to another person's mistakes).

However, if the singer is speaking from a God-like, all knowing vantage point, or is a close friend of the subject with shared responsibility/interests, then there is a possibilty that 「...も」 is spoken in second-person.

So to conclude, there's really no way of knowing. But I see the OP had made a decision in any case so I guess that's that.

*Edit*
    On a side note, I rather disagree with the concept that the translator should be entirely knowledgeable with the anime from which the lyrics he/she is translating comes from :-D. It seems that most of the time the contents of the song has either nothing to do with the anime or at the most makes a few allusions in the general direction. Or maybe I'm just saying this because most of the time I don't know my (*coughwhatnoswearingcough*) flowers from the name of the song when I post D:
    Last edited by Datenshi; 02-15-2008 at 05:46 AM.

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

I was talking about that in the case of the Spanish gender-mixup argument. If you don't know how Lala looked (and took the song shallow) you would think it's another case of supeingo.

...so that you know where you can find me

Closed Thread

Thread Information