AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: AF Banner Ads(an actual discussion this time)

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Xmas Tree Aquarius Cancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-10-2011 01:25 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    The Netherword of the Collective Unconscious
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: shibbidydoowop

Default AF Banner Ads(an actual discussion this time)

Alrighty, I remember there being a thread about this, but it seems to have been deleted, most likely due to the fact that there wasn't much of an actual topic. Mine, however, has one.

I was going through AF as normal when I noticed one particular banner ad, which was in fact several smaller images(and I assume links) as opposed to the one large one, which is the norm. They were promoting some... mature material. I managed the link to one image, and have yet to come across the ad again. Here it is:

EDIT: Found it!

So, the topics at hand are as follows: In your opinion, should the content of the banner ads have any bearing on the content of the site? Do Kaitou and Minako have any power over what's being advertised? If not, do you think that's a fair practice for advertisers to follow?

As for the content of the ads in question, they were certainly implying things the site's known for frowning upon when it comes to casual discussion, if not outright closing the thread. In fact, I believe the discussion about soliciting a dead hooker would probably result in a ban, or at least a severe warning.

Personally, I feel that the site should be dictating the content of the ads and vice versa, and if the administration isn't able to then the advertisers are playing kind of dirty. If you can sell dead hookers and/or dead hooker photos, you should be able to discuss dead hookers and/or dead hooker photos. If you have no say in what ads are put on your site by one advertiser, then find another advertiser that will at least adhere to a consistent level of content. If no advertisers are offering that, then the advertisers are operating unethically, in my opinion.

Now, I would like to hear from the rest of you. What do you think?
    Last edited by Sanosuke23; 01-21-2008 at 06:41 AM.
    Visit the Toy Dungeon Studios Store and buy a shirt or zipper pull, damnit!

Senior Member rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch's Avatar
    Gil
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2014 05:35 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lots of bits PSN ID: rf_switch Steam ID: lotsofbits

No Girlfriend???
    READ THAT!

Senior Member Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23 has a reputation beyond repute Sanosuke23's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by rf switch View Post
    No Girlfriend???
    READ THAT!
    I assumed that was for a dating site, which while odd isn't particularly inappropriate.

Senior Member Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2008 07:19 PM
    Threads

Nah, those banners don't effect me whatsoever. I don't mind having a dead hooker being advertised to me, it's not like it hasn't been done (irl) before. (supposedly some guy game this girl anti-freeze and snapped pictures of her)

But becaase of the number of younger posters, and not forgetting the immature ones, I would have to say, change the banners to something more appropiate for an Anime forum.

Unless they wanna scare away all the spammers, Narutards and kids with the Adult material, then I have no problem.

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ikaruga View Post
    Nah, those banners don't effect me whatsoever. I don't mind having a dead hooker being advertised to me, it's not like it hasn't been done (irl) before. (supposedly some guy game this girl anti-freeze and snapped pictures of her)

But becaase of the number of younger posters, and not forgetting the immature ones, I would have to say, change the banners to something more appropiate for an Anime forum.

Unless they wanna scare away all the spammers, Narutards and kids with the Adult material, then I have no problem.
    Well see that's the thing, I'm not offended by them, nor do I care if they go up or down. It just made me think: Should the content of the ads dictate the content of the site? Do site owners get to dictate what is and isn't advertised on their site? If not, is that right?

Senior Member Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga has a reputation beyond repute Ikaruga's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Sanosuke23 View Post
    Well see that's the thing, I'm not offended by them, nor do I care if they go up or down. It just made me think: Should the content of the ads dictate the content of the site? Do site owners get to dictate what is and isn't advertised on their site? If not, is that right?
    Well I would imagine that most forums would be able to selectively choose which ads are shown and which shouldn't.

But then again, you gotta think about the money in advertising. The members might just click onto those ads and generate some money for the forums, or surely just advertising them generates some money. With these adult ads, I'd imagine they would generate more than normal Anime merchandise..

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Well I would imagine that most forums would be able to selectively choose which ads are shown and which shouldn't.

But then again, you gotta think about the money in advertising. The members might just click onto those ads and generate some money for the forums, or surely just advertising them generates some money. With these adult ads, I'd imagine they would generate more than normal Anime merchandise..
    Yes, I do agree with that much. But then, this site is widely presented as being appropriate for someone around the age of 13. Hence the thought provocation.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Lol well we'll just have to wait until some moderator who see's this topic can give us the answer, or maybe we should send a PM around to the moderators and see what they think?

That is, if this was just simply a "taking" thread, or if it's something you want to take into action.

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Lol well we'll just have to wait until some moderator who see's this topic can give us the answer, or maybe we should send a PM around to the moderators and see what they think?

That is, if this was just simply a "taking" thread, or if it's something you want to take into action.
    No, I posted topics for discussion, and the subject matter it sprang from. If any action is taken by the staff regarding these ads it makes no difference, the topics for discussion still stand.

Besides, I've already mentioned it to Dorian Grey and we both laughed and laughed.

boopaloop! Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-19-2013 11:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I personally don't think these ads should show up on the site.

If you see one, PM a staff member with a screen shot.

We are actually trying our best to get rid of them. I think the main reason we'd want to get rid of them, is because this site isn't aimed at Adults. It's aimed at kids and teenagers, and most kids and teenagers shouldn't be looking at that anyway.
    making emo kids[/URL] cry since 1998

███ ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-07-2008 08:45 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Grey View Post
    I personally don't think these ads should show up on the site.

If you see one, PM a staff member with a screen shot.

We are actually trying our best to get rid of them. I think the main reason we'd want to get rid of them, is because this site isn't aimed at Adults. It's aimed at kids and teenagers, and most kids and teenagers shouldn't be looking at that anyway.

Some adults aren't mature enough either, like me for instance.
    ████████████

SPQR Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat has a reputation beyond repute Sagat's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-04-2009 08:57 PM
    Threads

I had wondered what was going on when I saw the ads for dead hooker, college party pics and sexy chicas considering that topics like drugs and sexual matters are largely frowned on.

SPARKLE SPARKLE!!! Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra's Avatar
    Gil
    Ornery
    Gifts Tsubasa Mokona Eva Penpen
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-12-2015 07:17 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

OMG...there it is now! I've spent hours refreshing the pages on here trying to get that ad to show up and suddenly it appears as I'm posting! >__<
    From my understanding of the situation, Ace is doing his best to get rid of the inappropriate ads. Depending on the company responsible for the advertising it can be as simple as something he can remove himself or as complicated as trying to get someone at the company to search for the offending ad and removing it.
    As Ai mentioned, take a screen shot (press the Print Screen key) and send it to one of the admins (Ace or Jakiao preferably) or to one of the mods currently online. We'll forward it to the appropriate person.
    Anime-Tron

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Mom: Iris Brother: Cypher Sister: LPS Boyfriend: Rodimus
    Siggy by DPBM

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Okay, but none of this is contributing to my awesome discussion topics much. =/

boopaloop! Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys has a reputation beyond repute Daenerys's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-19-2013 11:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

That's cos it's not really a good discussion. I told you so!
    making emo kids[/URL] cry since 1998

I has Return-ified. -Kitsune- has a reputation beyond repute -Kitsune- has a reputation beyond repute -Kitsune- has a reputation beyond repute -Kitsune- has a reputation beyond repute -Kitsune- has a reputation beyond repute -Kitsune- has a reputation beyond repute -Kitsune- has a reputation beyond repute -Kitsune- has a reputation beyond repute -Kitsune- has a reputation beyond repute -Kitsune- has a reputation beyond repute -Kitsune- has a reputation beyond repute -Kitsune-'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-08-2013 06:47 PM
    Threads

Wow, those ads are actually at the top of my page right now... wierd.

Yeah, the first time I saw those ads, my immediate response was "Wtf?! o.O". I'm sure Kaitou and the other mods/admins are doing their best to eliminate them. Have any of you noticed that the "No Girlfriend???? Click here!" ad appears about ten times as much as the other ones?
    Last edited by -Kitsune-; 01-21-2008 at 10:54 AM.
    Current obsession: Shin Megami Tensei Persona 4 <3

Uber-love to .Savage for this amazing set~ x3

Gifts:Simple1|Goodylucky|Karuto

~Facebook

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

I've always seen those ads when I'm on this board.. Though I've been tempted to see what the DEAD HOOKER is all about...

Remove them before I become even more tainted..
    Last edited by Ikaruga; 01-21-2008 at 11:03 AM.

~Lolitaloid~ Asriel has a reputation beyond repute Asriel has a reputation beyond repute Asriel has a reputation beyond repute Asriel has a reputation beyond repute Asriel has a reputation beyond repute Asriel has a reputation beyond repute Asriel has a reputation beyond repute Asriel has a reputation beyond repute Asriel has a reputation beyond repute Asriel has a reputation beyond repute Asriel has a reputation beyond repute Asriel's Avatar
    Gil
    In Love
    Gifts 151 - Mew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2011 06:46 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune~girl View Post
    Wow, those ads are actually at the top of my page right now... wierd.

Yeah, the first time I saw those ads, my immediate response was "Wtf?! o.O". I'm sure Kaitou and the other mods/admins are doing their best to eliminate them. Have any of you noticed that the "No Girlfriend???? Click here!" ad appears about ten times as much as the other ones?

Yes I have seen that that "no girlfrined" one appears way to many times at the top of my screen.First time I saw it, I said W....T.....F........is that?
    Those are totally repulsive and stupid and its starting to annoy me.
    Set by me.

I was Hieko.

Ich hab flotten Otto PanzerJager has a reputation beyond repute PanzerJager has a reputation beyond repute PanzerJager has a reputation beyond repute PanzerJager has a reputation beyond repute PanzerJager has a reputation beyond repute PanzerJager has a reputation beyond repute PanzerJager has a reputation beyond repute PanzerJager has a reputation beyond repute PanzerJager has a reputation beyond repute PanzerJager has a reputation beyond repute PanzerJager has a reputation beyond repute PanzerJager's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-18-2008 08:54 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Hieko View Post
    Yes I have seen that that "no girlfrined" one appears way to many times at the top of my screen.First time I saw it, I said W....T.....F........is that?
    Those are totally repulsive and stupid and its starting to annoy me.
    Reminds me of the car ads on TV.. they usually appear way to many times, are completely repulsive and have annoyed me ever since I saw the fist one..

Take one of the original scion commercials, which features a playdoh~ish Godzilla thing and lots of screaming japanese people.. That made me go "W....T.....F........" too..

Star-Crossed Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2010 04:21 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0202-0359-4623-9027

Yeah, I noticed this awhile back.

I clicked on a link expecting to see dead hookers! Did I see any? Noooo. I'm sick of AF's false advertisement.
    A MaruDashi Creation

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2020 05:11 PM
    Threads

Well you just made my sunday afternoon very interesting. Dead hookers?

¤Ultimate Fear Inducer¤ Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter has a reputation beyond repute Perpetual Specter's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-19-2009 06:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Those ads irritate me as well.Especially that "No Girlfriend?" one because it shows up way more than any of the other ads.I hope the site admins can find some solution to be rid of or cut down the number of these ads.=/

Member Lady_Yui has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Yui has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Yui has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Yui has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Yui has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Yui has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Yui has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Yui has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Yui has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Yui has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Yui has a reputation beyond repute Lady_Yui's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2008 03:03 PM
    Threads

I don't really care when I see them because I'm older, and I see porn pictures as ads on other websites.

BUT I do think they are inappropriate on a forum that's mainly for kids and teens that shouldn't be looking at stuff like that. If they do look at porn, etc, they can do it on their own time, not at an anime message board.
    Live. Love. Laugh.

Originally Umi-Chan on AnimeGlobe

Closed Thread

Thread Information