AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Help with some lines in "moete hero" of captain Tsubasa

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Pablo Miranda is on a distinguished road Pablo Miranda's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-06-2009 09:19 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Help with some lines in "moete hero" of captain Tsubasa

Ok, the first one is like this: 罪だねサンバ

The literal translation I give is "criminal zamba", but the non literal translation could be "tremendous zamba".

Then in this one the kanji is イモと言うなら、勝手にいいな

I am really lost with that one, because for me IMO is "potato" , and I don't think this the real meaning in the sentence.

May be it is a japanese saying, so I hope somebody helps me with this.

Thanks in advance.

Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan has a reputation beyond repute Rizuchan's Avatar
    Gil
    sunshine
    Gifts Clannad Botan Snowman Neko Tv
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2020 10:22 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rizuchan01 PSN ID: rizuchan01 Steam ID: rizuchan

The first one is just a matter of opinion, I think. I'd personally opt for 'criminal', but that's just me. But then, it really matters what context it's in.
    By the way, I think you mean "samba", not "zamba" ^-^;

That's what I got out of the second line as well. I tried googling it to see if I could find a similar phrase or something, but all I was able to find was a French translation of the song, which (with what I can tell from my very limited knowledge of French) agrees that the word is "potato". :/

Pablo Miranda is on a distinguished road Pablo Miranda's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-06-2009 09:19 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Mmmmm yes, so the phrase could be "if you say he is a potato, it's your problem" hahaha sounds preety weird, but it's the translation.

Oh yes, I wanted to tell you that as far as I know, there are 2 big styles of samba, one is written "samba" and the other one is written "zamba".

But as in japanese you write a word in katakana depending on the sound of the word, and as "zamba" and "samba" have the same phonetics, in this case, I can use any of them as well.

Ok, thanks for helping me.

VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-07-2008 05:25 PM
    The Land That Public Transport Forgot, Great Britain :)
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I would say "samba" as well, if there's no dakuten on the "sa" to make it "za".
    ザンバ - "ZANBA" (or zamba, depending how you transliterate the ン.)
    サンバ - "SANBA" (or ditto above with the ン)

But that's sort of splitting hairs...but while on the subject of phonetics in kana...

I don't know the song in question, but if the whole of the line is "罪だねサンバ"...

Literally I'd read that as "it's a crime, right? The samba" (Tsumi da ne SANBA). That's not a very neat translation, but it might work as "it's criminal, you know, the samba" or just "The samba's criminal". It depends how much emphasis you give the "ne" ^_^.

Maybe it's just me but I don't read 罪だね as an adjective, rather as a phrase in its own right.

You might want to substitute a more equivalent word for criminal but I don't think I'd use tremendous...it doesn't convey the same kind of feeling...?

As for the potato phrase...I read it as "if you're a potato you can do what you want" :S (or he, I, whatever the pronoun is that fits the context of the song as a whole).

勝手に (Katte ni) = follow own will (either something doing something of its own accord, or someone acting selfishly or in their own interests).

イモと言う (IMO to iu) - the thing known as a potato, the thing called a potato

なら (nara) - if (given that)

いいな (ii na) - it's okay (informal).

Having said all of that, it's also just dawned on me that the Japanese use the same kanji 勝手(katte) to mean kitchen so it might be a play on words or it might not - the phrase might simply be meant to say

"if its a potato, it belongs in the kitchen"

Without seeing the whole thing in context, I'm not sure ^_^ :P

Vraie
    Vraie's Tenchi Muyou & Fushigi Yuugi Fanfiction at FFnet
    ----------------------------
    遥かなる時空の中で
    Reasons why the Hachiyou should never come to the Miko's world #1

泰明:問題ない。神子の世界では和歌ではなくカラオケなるものをするそうだ。
    永泉:空の。。。
    頼久:桶?!
    -----------------------------
    Avatar: Nakamoto Shou from Sotsugyou M.

Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

To throw in a cent, since イモ (potato) are found in the ground, it is sometimes used as a derogatory term for people from the provinces, or a person with unrefined manners and tastes. So maybe that's the case here.

"If you want to call me unrefined, that's your problem."
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Maroko has much to be proud of Maroko has much to be proud of Maroko has much to be proud of Maroko has much to be proud of Maroko has much to be proud of Maroko has much to be proud of Maroko has much to be proud of Maroko has much to be proud of Maroko has much to be proud of Maroko has much to be proud of Maroko's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-28-2008 06:57 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I agree with Vraie about the first sentence. 罪だね would be translated as "Samba,is a crime, isn'it?". If it were "罪なサンバ", it could be translated as criminal samba, or cruel samba, that sounds better. But also, it depends on the context, maybe if you write the whole sentence or paragraph it would be easier to state the true idea.

Closed Thread

Thread Information