AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Is there a symbol for this?

Junior Member joshege is on a distinguished road joshege's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-02-2008 08:03 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Is there a symbol for this?

hey there
    this may seem like a strange request, but is there a single japanese symbol for something along the lines of "perseverance", or of meaning similar to that.
    thanks in advance

Member bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2008 01:48 AM
    Threads

Hello. ^^

First off, the "symbols" you're referring to are called "kanji". ^^;

Second: I did find something, thanks to Jeffrey's Japanese <-> English Dictionary. There's this: (it's read as "kon"...which sounds like "cone").

Mind you, I'm not sure how commonly used that word is, but there you go. Hope it helps. =)

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

A single symbol, or can it be a word?
    Off the top of my head,
    「忍」
    「耐」
    are some candidates. 根 by itself means root, but 「根性」 means spiritual strength, so that can be another.

Member bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7 has a reputation beyond repute bri_hime7's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Actually Datenshi, according to Jeffrey's, has several definitions. ^^;

根【こん】
    (n) (1) stick-to-itiveness; perseverance; persistence; (2) radical (esp. one that tends to ionize easily); (3) (math) root; (4) (Buddh) indriya (faculty of the body having a specific function, i.e. the sensory organs)

Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

This is why I'm wary of dictionaries, especially random Internet ones that sort of mechanically shuck out an answer. This may be a concept that is hard to grasp, but what the kanji signifies and what it's used to mean in real life are entirely different things. Remember that kanji is originally Chinese, and therefore there is a gap between the properties associated with it (from what it originally meant in Chinese) and what it's actually used for in the Japanese language.

It's somewhat similar to Latin and English or French today. "Lumen" supposedly means "light" in Latin, and there are very similar equivalents in English which appear to share the same roots (light, luminesence, illumination) but if you use the Latin word instead of the English one people won't know what the hell you're talking about.

In this case 根 does have the definition of perseverance, but it's not so much a defenition that the word itself holds within itself as a quality associated with it (possibly because the idea of roots firm in the ground relates to a person who perseveres) that becomes apparent only when it's fixed to another word, in this case, as I said, words like 根性 or 根気 (「性」="personality" 「気」="will", so the words would translate to "a persevering personality" "the will to persevere", respectively). You have to be wary of cases such as these when using a dictionary. The defenition you gave is not wrong, but rather simply inappropriate in this specific case.
    Last edited by Datenshi; 01-04-2008 at 08:47 PM.

紺碧の闇
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark has a reputation beyond repute AzureDark's Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Little Big Planet Sackboy Neko Tv Prinny
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2019 07:48 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: azutsukimiya

I'm amazed that bri_hime didn't recognise you Datenshi...

...so that you know where you can find me

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2009 08:17 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

I love a good kanji debate.

to the OP: can you give us a little bit more info on the kind of meaning/feeling you are trying to give? It might help us get the right kanji for you.

Pink is the new Pooky
    Party it up in Wallpapers
    | join the AF Gaia guild!
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

musing of a mod : Illuminated Spirits : Theme: uber_pink

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by AzureDark View Post
    I'm amazed that bri_hime didn't recognise you Datenshi...
    Oh I know who he is (and the amount of knowledge he has). I just wanted to bring that to his attention to see what he had to say. ^^

I always wondered why Jeffrey's had so many darn uses for a word listed (and why a lot of people [who I know have a higher grasp of Japanese than I do] didn't use that site too much).

Datenshi's explanation makes sense, and I appreciate his response. =)

PS: Datenshi...umm, are you a guy? 'Cuz I kinda said "he" in this post. xD
    Last edited by bri_hime7; 01-05-2008 at 07:11 PM.

Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I am, indeed, a guy. It's funny now that I think of it, the gender of my online persona has never been called into question before, despite the ambiguity of my handle name. But then, chances are people didn't care enough to bring it up.

Well, you're welcome,then

It might be interesting to know that most Japanese electronic dictionaries comes equipped with, along with your standard household Japanese-Japanese dictionary, a Kanji (Chinese)-Japanese dictionary (漢和辞典) to look up character usages in just such instances.

Closed Thread

Thread Information