AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Guitarist ever?

Ultimate Omega enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-12-2008 04:08 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Greatest Guitarist ever?

Okay, this is a mature discussion, I dont wanna hear any "Kirk Hammett is teh sUxorz!!!" or "Yngwie Egosteen sucks..."
    This is to discuss who is your favourite guitarist and why, its not 'Who is the best guitarist', because that would be down to the most technically skilled and there would only be one answer.

My fav would have to be Jason Becker, he was more than a guitar prodigy, he was playing note for note with the greatest when he was just 15, and recorded one of the most technically accomplished albums "speed metal symphony" when he was just 18. He is one of the most melodic guitarists and dosent just use speed for the sake of it, he uses it to a very melodic effect to compliment the song.

Member luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-21-2008 08:47 PM
    Threads

my first favorite would be ally and aj but that was a while ago. I forget the name of a heavy metalist that can make his guitar talk, I think he's cool

Member luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun has much to be proud of luvtoshikun's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-21-2008 08:47 PM
    Threads

my first favorite would be ally and aj but that was a while ago. I forget the name of a heavy metalist that can make his guitar talk, I think he's cool

Don Asterisco TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2019 06:04 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Parugin

The Amazing Mr. Steve Howe!
    It's no contest; he is the most skilled guitarist ever, capable of playing just about any style beautifully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Howe_(guitarist)
    http://www.stevehowe.com/

Ultimate Omega enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01 has a reputation beyond repute enigma unit 01's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by luvtoshikun View Post
    I think you might be talking about Steve Vai there, although theres other guitarists who can make their guitars 'talk'

Btw i checked out Steve Howe, hes pretty damn good but i still prefer mr Becker

Senior Member Arcxcia has a reputation beyond repute Arcxcia has a reputation beyond repute Arcxcia has a reputation beyond repute Arcxcia has a reputation beyond repute Arcxcia has a reputation beyond repute Arcxcia has a reputation beyond repute Arcxcia has a reputation beyond repute Arcxcia has a reputation beyond repute Arcxcia has a reputation beyond repute Arcxcia has a reputation beyond repute Arcxcia has a reputation beyond repute Arcxcia's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-08-2008 10:29 AM
    Threads

Yui!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sigs and Ava by me! And thank you for the Reps and Points-
    ~Donation needed; kindness really appreciated!~

Senior Member Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2011 12:14 PM
    Threads

This is a tough question for me. There are so many guitar players who have inspired me throughout the years, it'd be pretty difficult for me to pick just one so I won't. =D

Well, a huge influence on me has been John Frusciante, guitarist for the red hot chili peppers. I dig his style, it's like he's channeling Jimi Hendrix's soul in his playing.

John Mayer. Ok, before you all go off on me let me tell you. John Mayer...he is such...I mean, CHRIST he is a talented songwriter. One of the best, such a progressive blues style. He and similar guitarists are bringing back lead guitar, and I love it.

Claudio Sanchez (From Coheed and Cambria) Simply because he's responsible for the majority of the songwriting, which could not be tighter. So addictive, that music.

Skiwsgar Skwigelf, obviouslies he is the bests. He plays the fast notes n the solos and the scales n whatnot. It's a good things.

(Oh, and no offense to asterisk...I don't know if he (The Asterisk) plays guitar but Steve Howe does nothing for me, stylistically...but I was never a big yes fan).

And to Enigma, were you the one who originally thought Kirk Hammet was the best? I just wanted to know if you were the same person. Btw, Jason Becker is quite an astounding guitarist. Good choice.
    All The Ways You Wish Could Be? That's me

Don Asterisco TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk! has a reputation beyond repute TheAsterisk!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Talking I am one cool cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Masali View Post
    (Oh, and no offense to asterisk...I don't know if he (The Asterisk) plays guitar but Steve Howe does nothing for me, stylistically...but I was never a big yes fan).
    No problem; not everyone is capable of appreciating true genius.
    I called you a heretic in the other thread just to be a trouble maker. The only way you'd offend me is if you called Howe ugly.

Howe (HA! Homonym puns!) could you not just love that face? He's absolutely adorable!

He's a dog-face.

Senior Member Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

He's pretty.

Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

He's pretty.
    Good Masali. Good boy. You'll get a biscuit for that.

Senior Member gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-26-2009 12:34 PM
    Threads

Well that's a hard one =/ Well if we forget about "skill" and just think of the music itself I choose "Stefan Elmgren" from the swedish power metal band Hammerfall.

Their latest single: (Stefan is the "skinhead")

My sigs and avas

Need a friend? Just send a PM

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gaburieru View Post
    Well that's a hard one =/ Well if we forget about "skill" and just think of the music itself I choose "Stefan Elmgren" from the swedish power metal band Hammerfall.

Their latest single: (Stefan is the "skinhead")
    Well if we forget about guitar playing skill in a guitar playing topic and focus on entirely on the music, I pick Beethoven as the greatest Guitarist ever.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Senior Member gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru has a reputation beyond repute gaburieru's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-26-2009 12:34 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    Well if we forget about guitar playing skill in a guitar playing topic and focus on entirely on the music, I pick Beethoven as the greatest Guitarist ever.
    Have you ever heard him play?

OT: It's only a matter of time before the Miyavi/Gackt fangirls arrive... ^^

My sigs and avas

Need a friend? Just send a PM

Senior Member Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution's Avatar
    Nerdy
    Gifts Black Beauty LesPauls Mic TNG Communicator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-16-2012 12:28 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zeke Stryker XFIRE ID: Bignate101 Wii Code: 4265 2672 0811 8128

Let us not forget the man behind the six-stringed wonders of songs like YYZ, Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, and Red Barchetta.

Alex Lifeson from Rush, you have my vote.
    Kaitou Ace: Before she gets eaten by zombies,
    let's change the camera angle so you can see her panties.
    Kaitou Ace: repeat *100

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gaburieru View Post
    Have you ever heard him play?
    Can you prove I haven't?
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Senior Member Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution has a reputation beyond repute Alias-Revolution's Avatar
    Nerdy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

LOL

Kudos to MHP. Your logic is divine, my friend. No-one can really prove MHP hasn't found a lost ancient recording of some sort, decoded it with his 1337 haxXorZ skillz and heard ol' Ludwig bust out some mean licks on the axe.

You twisted my arm. Beethoven has my second vote.

Senior Member Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-27-2008 11:36 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: Wi-Fi broken now...

This has always been a difficult choice for me but... I'd have to go with Buckethead or Slash (Guns n' Roses).

Buckethead redefined guitar playing, and has such deep emotion about how he does it. Also the variety of his songs is amazing (Soothsayer compared to Android of Notre Dame for instance).

Slash is just amazing. Every single song he plays is amazing. And he has a top hat ^_^.

Although if we were talking bassists... that would be a different story
    Les Claypool or the guy from Rush (can't remember his name)
    It's a rat-flail.

Nerdy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Zenx View Post
    Les Claypool or the guy from Rush (can't remember his name)
    Like I said, Alex Lifeson. Rush's Guitarist.

Jumonji Baka Kawaii IV
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2009 09:27 AM
    Threads

John Frusciante... certainly. I've always loved RHCP, and one of the main reasons was because of his playing. I'm not the greatest guitarist in the world, but I'm heavily inspired by him. John Mayer is also an inspiration to me. I don't care whether people want to call him "pop crap" or whatever, but he can sing and play amazingly.
    Last edited by Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki; 01-02-2008 at 10:44 AM.

深く根ざした||傷は消えない
    Hide it, Hide it, Hide me

Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Alias-Revolution View Post
    Like I said, Alex Lifeson. Rush's Guitarist.
    Zenx might have meant Geddy Lee; bassists were mentioned in the previous line, and I would have to say that Lee is a better bassist than Lifeson is a guitarist.

Nerdy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Meh... I gotta give you that one. But I have to ask, do you think that just ecause of skill on the strings, or because he played the keyboard too?

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

And to Enigma, were you the one who originally thought Kirk Hammet was the best? I just wanted to know if you were the same person. Btw, Jason Becker is quite an astounding guitarist. Good choice.
    Yea, that was me. Kirk is still one of my favourites, i know he's not the most technically skilled (though still very), i love his solos and how he can make them sound so epic. But i have only recently discovered Becker and was blown away lol.

Btw, any you guys heard any Paul Gilbert?? That man knows his guitar lol
    Last edited by enigma unit 01; 01-02-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by enigma unit 01 View Post
    Yea, that was me. Kirk is still one of my favourites, i know he's not the most technically skilled (though still very), i love his solos and how he can make them sound so epic. But i have only recently discovered Becker and was blown away lol.

Btw, any you guys heard any Paul Gilbert?? That man knows his guitar lol
    Yeah, that man basically taught me how to shred. I like religiously followed his shred lessons. He makes shred make sense with his exceptional sense of rhythm.

John Frusciante... certainly. I've always loved RHCP, and one of the main reasons was because of his playing.

John Frusciante is my idol, hero, whatever you wanna say.

Senior Member lightyagami is infamous around these parts lightyagami is infamous around these parts lightyagami is infamous around these parts lightyagami is infamous around these parts lightyagami is infamous around these parts lightyagami is infamous around these parts lightyagami is infamous around these parts lightyagami is infamous around these parts lightyagami is infamous around these parts lightyagami is infamous around these parts lightyagami is infamous around these parts lightyagami's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-13-2012 03:29 PM
    Threads

Jimmy hendrix hands down. Close second Eric Clapton.
    Souda, Bokuga Kira da. I am justice. I AM KIRA!

lightyagami is the best troll i've ever seen
    -7,000 rep and counting baby!

"if you want to taste the ground feel free to attack me
    "- Kenshin Himura

YAOI SUCKS MORE BALLS THEN PARIS HILTON!!!

Gil
    Daring
    Gifts Globe Belle Floppy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Alias-Revolution View Post
    Meh... I gotta give you that one. But I have to ask, do you think that just because of skill on the strings, or because he played the keyboard too?
    Well, keyboards always get extra points from me, but I could say that based on guitar skills alone, too. Lee kind of sounds like the kiddie-pool Chris Squire (that's a good thing, really).
    In my not so humble opinion, Lifeson isn't really all that good. He's certainly above average, but there are a whole bundle of better choices for "greatest guitarist ever" than he.

I'd also like to add, for everyone else, that I see Clapton and Hendrix as terribly overated musicians that don't deserve the praise they always seem to recieve in topics like this one.
    Last edited by TheAsterisk!; 01-03-2008 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Thank God it satyed ELP and never became HELP.

Closed Thread

Thread Information