AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Do you prefer to watch Anime in Japanese with English subs or in English?

Senior Member inOue has a reputation beyond repute inOue has a reputation beyond repute inOue has a reputation beyond repute inOue has a reputation beyond repute inOue has a reputation beyond repute inOue has a reputation beyond repute inOue has a reputation beyond repute inOue has a reputation beyond repute inOue has a reputation beyond repute inOue has a reputation beyond repute inOue has a reputation beyond repute inOue's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-26-2011 10:34 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

i prefer watching in japanese with english subs..
    Last edited by inOue; 01-03-2008 at 12:40 AM.
    MOVE ON. DO SOMETHING BETTER.

Senior Member Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki has a reputation beyond repute Musaki's Avatar
    Gil
    Bashful
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-02-2014 04:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Japanese version sounds much more better then english version
    Osteoarthritis how many will you save: I am a proud supporter of the fight against Osteoarthritis

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=7XJ7ZG4C5ZGW8

Member Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-22-2008 10:36 AM
    Threads

I don't really care either english or japanese.As long as I think the anime is good.I haven't been able to watch them in japanese though.Over all I'd say it's all the same.But it's hard to read and watch at the same time.
    Last edited by Renzoil; 01-08-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Remember me!
    Need me!
    I can provide you with everything!
    I am love.
    Find me, and walk beside me.(*

Junior Member Linkhero is on a distinguished road Linkhero's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-03-2008 01:07 PM
    Threads

Usually with english subs but some animes like Trigun are much better in English

Junior Member Snarf103 has a brilliant future Snarf103 has a brilliant future Snarf103 has a brilliant future Snarf103 has a brilliant future Snarf103 has a brilliant future Snarf103 has a brilliant future Snarf103 has a brilliant future Snarf103 has a brilliant future Snarf103 has a brilliant future Snarf103 has a brilliant future Snarf103 has a brilliant future Snarf103's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-18-2008 09:58 AM
    Threads

i only watch them in japanese with english subs, except if there is no other way :P

Member kavz30 is a splendid one to behold kavz30 is a splendid one to behold kavz30 is a splendid one to behold kavz30 is a splendid one to behold kavz30 is a splendid one to behold kavz30 is a splendid one to behold kavz30 is a splendid one to behold kavz30's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-07-2008 03:39 AM
    Threads

:-) I prefer it in Japanese with English subtitles.

Senior Member Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx has a reputation beyond repute Zenx's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-27-2008 11:36 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: Wi-Fi broken now...

Subs... I generally dislike the english dubs. Naruto (when I liked it <_<) had bad dubs IMO and the Death Note dubs are absolutely horrid (Ryuk), again IMO.
    It's a rat-flail.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit has a reputation beyond repute VraieEsprit's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-07-2008 05:25 PM
    The Land That Public Transport Forgot, Great Britain :)
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Since Fushigi Yuugi, I watch everything in Japanese with English subs, (or without subs if there isn't a subbed version since my Japanese has got to the point where I can watch an episode and know what's going on pretty clearly without them, even if I haven't got the fine tuning down).

The English dub for Yuugi is terrible, and if I'd watched it in English first I wouldn't have stuck with it at all. It's not just the awful voices for certain characters (cough Miaka and Hotohori cough), but the rewriting of the dialogue. I hate when it's "censored" by English dubbing (the thing that sticks in my mind is a comment Amiboshi-as-Chiriko makes to Nuriko which refers to Nuriko's sexuality and in the English dub it's completely altered to a non-sexuality related comment).

So since then, everything has been in Japanese with subs.

I would still watch Tenchi Muyou in English because I did years ago when I first saw it. But I also have a very strong respect for several of the Japanese seiyuu and actively look for shows they've been involved in. So English would rather defeat the object in those cases.

Besides, if I didn't watch in Japanese, I would have missed out on a lot *lol* I watched Kurenai no Tsuki (Haruka Naru Toki no Naka De 3 TV special) which hasn't even been subbed yet, and really enjoyed it...and am reading the HaruToki 1 manga...none of that's been released in English yet and may never be. Geneon have quit distributing things like Saiunkoku and Kyou Kara Maou, too - so who knows if and when shows like that will be dubbed and distributed properly in English?

That's not to say I have any issue with people who watch anime in English though. As far as I'm concerned it's an individual choice - it doesn't make you any more or less of a fan regardless of the language you watch it in.

As for reading and watching - I read really quickly and it becomes a habit. I just get annoyed when something is subbed in a language I don't understand, even if I understand the audio. Heck, even Japanese things where I can understand more of what I'm listening to than the subs (ie Chinese, etc). My eyes are automatically drawn to the subs and then I lose track of what's going on. So in those situations raw Japanese suits me better.

It pretty much means I'll only watch subbed anime if it's subbed in English or French. Even if it's the only version available, and even though my Japanese listening skills aren't too bad these days, I won't watch it if it's been subbed in Chinese or Italian or anything like that because it's too distracting. (And the subbers always put subs over written Japanese on the screen, too...which is annoying!)

Vraie
    Last edited by VraieEsprit; 01-05-2008 at 07:07 AM.
    Vraie's Tenchi Muyou & Fushigi Yuugi Fanfiction at FFnet
    ----------------------------
    遥かなる時空の中で
    Reasons why the Hachiyou should never come to the Miko's world #1

泰明:問題ない。神子の世界では和歌ではなくカラオケなるものをするそうだ。
    永泉:空の。。。
    頼久:桶?!
    -----------------------------
    Avatar: Nakamoto Shou from Sotsugyou M.

Member Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil has much to be proud of Renzoil's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-22-2008 10:36 AM
    Threads

I told a few friend s about this topic and they said they'd rather watch anime with english dubs.I like both.If I've watched an anime for a while in english I'll watch it in japanese with subs.

Remember me!
    Need me!
    I can provide you with everything!
    I am love.
    Find me, and walk beside me.(*

Illusionary. Rhoswen has a reputation beyond repute Rhoswen has a reputation beyond repute Rhoswen has a reputation beyond repute Rhoswen has a reputation beyond repute Rhoswen has a reputation beyond repute Rhoswen has a reputation beyond repute Rhoswen has a reputation beyond repute Rhoswen has a reputation beyond repute Rhoswen has a reputation beyond repute Rhoswen has a reputation beyond repute Rhoswen has a reputation beyond repute Rhoswen's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-17-2008 01:29 PM
    Threads

I prefer the English version.
    I agree that the voices in Japanese sound a lot better.
    However, I would rather watch the anime without missing anything than to read the subtitles at the bottom while watching the anime.
    Lol, I find reading the subtitles annoying. =P

Senior Member Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50 has a reputation beyond repute Gero50's Avatar
    Gil
    Inspired
    Gifts Pokedex 025 - Pikachu
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-05-2012 01:07 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Well that is hard to say

It really doesn't matter to me
    However i will agree that the japamese version is better and more complete then the dub, although sometimes it is kinda nice to hear and understand what they're saying 2
    Gero Server Guru

Nice Boat Captain Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa. has a reputation beyond repute Hideki Motosuwa.'s Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Strawberry Nunchaku Blue Saber
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-09-2021 05:03 AM
    The Hellish Death Realms where demons dwell (a.k.a. Planet Earth)
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Dubs pretty much suck, but I still give them credit. Obviously it sounds natural in Japanese! And if you think the English dub sucks(no offense to the Chinese) you should hear the Chinese dubs! I mean, a boy sounds like a girl! All voices are high pitched too, even the guys. But not all English dubs are bad, the DBZ dubs are better(in Japanese sub, it sounds like Goku was sucking on helium!). And the dubs for Chobits, and DearS weren't bad.

Member xXshinigamiXx has a reputation beyond repute xXshinigamiXx has a reputation beyond repute xXshinigamiXx has a reputation beyond repute xXshinigamiXx has a reputation beyond repute xXshinigamiXx has a reputation beyond repute xXshinigamiXx has a reputation beyond repute xXshinigamiXx has a reputation beyond repute xXshinigamiXx has a reputation beyond repute xXshinigamiXx has a reputation beyond repute xXshinigamiXx has a reputation beyond repute xXshinigamiXx has a reputation beyond repute xXshinigamiXx's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2008 06:27 PM
    Threads

It depends for me, I think the Japanese voices always sound much better, but it kind of sucks having to read subs the whole time and sometimes having to pause to read a lot of text, so I guess English for me.

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 11:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Depends COMPLETELY on which series it is and the company that's doing it.

I for one can NOT watch the Full Metal Panic series in Japanese. And the Japanese version of Nerima Daikon Brothers REALLY SUCKS. It was amazing....because Greg Ayres, Luci Christan, and Chris Patton are much more talented in acting AND singing than the original seiyuu for Hideki, Mako, and Ichiro.

Senior Member Souji Seta has a reputation beyond repute Souji Seta has a reputation beyond repute Souji Seta has a reputation beyond repute Souji Seta has a reputation beyond repute Souji Seta has a reputation beyond repute Souji Seta has a reputation beyond repute Souji Seta has a reputation beyond repute Souji Seta has a reputation beyond repute Souji Seta has a reputation beyond repute Souji Seta has a reputation beyond repute Souji Seta has a reputation beyond repute Souji Seta's Avatar
    Gil
    Pensive
    Gifts Manekineko
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-10-2011 07:37 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Hmm, I like anime in japanese better because in the english dubbed edition, they tend to change the script. Some animes are way better in english though like Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo (my opinion only, please do not get offended).

It ain't really a pain in reading subs for me because I don't read them. I can speak japanese anyway (not that I'm bragging).

Senior Member 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan has a reputation beyond repute 小美ドクロchan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2010 11:58 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Hmm, I like anime in japanese better because in the english dubbed edition, they tend to change the script.
    In my opinion, if they change the script to make it funnier (which ADV and Animeworks does A LOT) it's a-okay with me. XD

死神 Saiyuko has a reputation beyond repute Saiyuko has a reputation beyond repute Saiyuko has a reputation beyond repute Saiyuko has a reputation beyond repute Saiyuko has a reputation beyond repute Saiyuko has a reputation beyond repute Saiyuko has a reputation beyond repute Saiyuko has a reputation beyond repute Saiyuko has a reputation beyond repute Saiyuko has a reputation beyond repute Saiyuko has a reputation beyond repute Saiyuko's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-07-2009 02:22 PM
    Threads

Usually japanese with subtitles.Sometimes in english.
    My Youtube Page
    A touhou fan. Yay for Danmaku.

Member larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-09-2008 08:36 PM
    Threads

First consideration: Which is cheaper and less of a hassle. I usually try to go for the dub because reading subtitles gets tiring, but many dubs suck so I go for the subs usually. The only good dubs I've seen are pretty much all of the adult swim anime, the Funimation dub of One Piece is pretty good.

On a Side Note, many people I know, including one of my friends, cannot stand any dubs, they always find SOMETHING wrong with them. I try to point out to my friend, how cheap he is so, I don't know why he can't lower his standards. I've watched anime in Japanese THEN English and usually don't see problems. The problems I see is the material changes in teen anime lowered to kid-level, like Naruto. They took out Rock Lee's Drunken fist!! A family friend's kid I know who's 10 could realize he was drunk. Either he is one of the coolest 10 year old kid I've ever seen or the editing is laughable.

i'm desu and i know it. Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi has a reputation beyond repute Konata Izumi's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-21-2012 02:33 AM
    Threads

I usually like watching RAW, most of the time mainly to get good quality screenshots and I can get the main idea of the episode. English subs for Fruits Basket were pretty good, better than Naruto's at least.

Member Airrazor has a reputation beyond repute Airrazor has a reputation beyond repute Airrazor has a reputation beyond repute Airrazor has a reputation beyond repute Airrazor has a reputation beyond repute Airrazor has a reputation beyond repute Airrazor has a reputation beyond repute Airrazor has a reputation beyond repute Airrazor has a reputation beyond repute Airrazor has a reputation beyond repute Airrazor has a reputation beyond repute Airrazor's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-03-2008 01:27 PM
    Threads

Exclamation

I don't like dubs.I prefer watching them in japanese but with english subs.I like the original voices,in english or another language dubbed sounds creepyXD.

Daeva's black rose poison.ivy has a reputation beyond repute poison.ivy has a reputation beyond repute poison.ivy has a reputation beyond repute poison.ivy has a reputation beyond repute poison.ivy has a reputation beyond repute poison.ivy has a reputation beyond repute poison.ivy has a reputation beyond repute poison.ivy has a reputation beyond repute poison.ivy has a reputation beyond repute poison.ivy has a reputation beyond repute poison.ivy has a reputation beyond repute poison.ivy's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-05-2008 01:33 PM
    Threads

Japanese with English subs. No explanation needed, I believe. Ohhh, okay. English voices are irritating.
    !!! Exception>>> Golden boy. It sounds awesome in English.

Hot gift from Midnight Rider Teh Great! Thank you :3

Thank you for the awesome sig, Serated!
    -art thread-[VF]-myspace-

Senior Member Marshmallow Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow Fluff has a reputation beyond repute Marshmallow Fluff's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-16-2010 07:23 PM
    Threads

I like to watch anime in Japanese with English subtitles.

It sounds much more better than English. : ]
    >:B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch has a reputation beyond repute rf switch's Avatar
    Gil
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-23-2014 05:35 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lots of bits PSN ID: rf_switch Steam ID: lotsofbits

I like watching it in Japanese with English subs...then in English with English subs to see if the dub and sub tell the same story...Then If I put something on as I'm tired and going to bed it will be English because well I don't want to read in that situation.

Also sometimes if the English dub is really bad I'll watch it with that. It just gives it a little something....special? I dunno..The Bad dubs can be entertaining at times...

And I swear todays "bad" English dubs are nowhere near as bad as most of the English dubs from 15+ years ago...

Member larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm has a reputation beyond repute larivermm's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-09-2008 08:36 PM
    Threads

Tenchi Muyo Dubbed from the 80s.

......................[shudders]................

I luv Irish+mac n'cheez NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2009 02:25 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: No Wii

Quote Originally Posted by larivermm View Post
    Tenchi Muyo Dubbed from the 80s.

......................[shudders]................
    Correction: Tenchi Muyo wasn't Dubbed Untill 1992.
    If Anyone has a question about the Anime Industry, be it "What to buy?" Or my opinion on a certain topic. Feel Free to IM Me.

Note: Please make it ledgible and readable before you send it(No Chatspeak please)

Note: Any Questions on "Where can I get things for free" or Piracy issues: Will be met with a Fist of an Angry God(Ignored)

Closed Thread

Thread Information