AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Lets all laugh at my translations

Junior Member YoshiSato is on a distinguished road YoshiSato's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-20-2007 10:43 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Cool Lets all laugh at my translations

I'm trying to translate some song titles into English because I can't find any already translated titles. Does anyone mind telling me how badly I botched the job. All I used was a dictionary and some context (these are from the Fate / Stay Night OST)

Here's what I got so far. No need to hold back on the laughter.

洗礼 - Baptism
    運命の夜 - Night of Fate
    魔術師 - Magician
    聖杯 - The Holy Grail
    英雄王 - The Hero King

That's all I can come up with so far.

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang has a reputation beyond repute tetekmakhang's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-10-2008 03:59 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

You can add a 'the' to make it The Baptism and The Magician. Japanese doesn't have this concept of 'the', so it's totally optional and completely up to the translator.

Night of Fate would sound better as Fateful Night

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous has a reputation beyond repute Unknownymous's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-25-2008 11:32 PM
    Threads

*looks at topic title* o_o
    AHAHA THAT'S SO FUNNY MAN. They're pretty accurate, but since you told us to laugh... LOLOLOLOLO D: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL LOOOOOOOOOL AHAHAHA WAHAHAHAHA!

Magician can also be translated into different Japanese words, depending on what kind of magician it is. Your translation is more like somebody who poofs stuff up out of nothing (think Akazukin Chacha). It can also be an illusionist.

Other ways to translate it would include 魔法使い (mahou tsukai), which usually means witch/wizard, or somebody who uses actual magic (魔法 = magic, 使い = user).

Finally, there's also the term 妖術者 (youjutsusha; from 妖術 [youjutsu], which means, but not literally, black magic). The term can be translated into sorcerer, but always with a connotation of being dark or even evil. You'd see this term in games sometimes, if one of the bad guys is a sorcerer, who's trapped your princess in a tower or something. They also used this term for people who placed curses on others, or those who used spirits as magic.

I'd have translated 英雄王 as King Hero, but it's just a matter of personal taste.

Good job in general, though.

下げ下げ下げ下げ

In case any of you want to correct, question, comment on, or suggest anything to me regarding my translations or use of Japanese, please do. My sources of learning have all been listening to people and kinda forcing my brain to interpret, rather than actually translate like a dictionary.
    I understand I'll make many mistakes (I'd be surprised if I translate something mistake-free) but you have to understand that I'm doing my best.

Closed Thread

Thread Information