AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So what happened with AnimeWallpapers.Com?

Hybrid View

Ace Kaitous YOU Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace has a reputation beyond repute Kaitou Ace's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Hat Rayman Baboon With A Gun Bioshock Syringe
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-23-2024 09:22 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    AL Lyrics
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: kaitou ace42 PSN ID: kaitou42 Steam ID: kaitou_ace

Post So what happened with AnimeWallpapers.Com?

Ok. This has been long in coming, but I wanted to hold off on telling the full story until things were a bit underway. Now please bear with me, as this is going to be somewhat long, but I'd rather give more detail then less in a matter such as this.

As some of you may know, AnimeWallpapers.Com was started by Philip Mak (pmak) way back in the year 2000. Since that time it has grown to be the largest anime wallpapers site.

Unfortunately on February 13, 2007 pmak passed away. It was very sudden, and the multitude of sites that he was running went down, as the server payments stopped. A server admin (Hongli), who was helping him manage the systems, was able to back up most of his content, and set the sites up on a new server. When pmak's mother contacted Hongli, about her sons' estate, he decided that this was a prime opportunity, and using his access to fake emails from pmak to GoDaddy and moved most of the domain names and sites that pmak was running over to Enom.

Hongli has posted in this forum as "Foo Bar Widget", pretending he had legitimate claim to the sites. Also unfortunately, during this time, pmak and I were not on speaking terms due to the animelyrics situation of a few months prior, so my first knowledge of any of this came with the posts from Hongli. Being the suspicious kind, I reached out to a few business partners of pmaks' whom I knew from our past dealings, and was eventually able to piece together what happened.

Despite our differences of opinion here, he was a friend of mine, and it's also simply not right, for his mother to have to be fighting a legal battle over the work her son spent most of his life on. Princess Minako and I felt we had to reach out to his mother and offer her any help and support we could, to try and correct the situation.

Both GoDaddy and Enom weren't interested in helping us, as the domains were moved from one registrar to the other, and Enom was hiding his identity behind their whois protection service. Each registrar simply pointed us to the other in an attempt to give us the runaround. They were simply not concerned with this issue, claiming that since the emails came from the registrant's account, the transfer was legitimate, even though the emails came almost a month after pmaks' passing. There are still other domains that they are holding, which unfortunately we don't have the means to easily go after.

We spent most of the summer dealing with the registrars. After being contacted by our lawyer, Hongli decided to register "getanimewallpapers.com" and redirect all "animewallpapers.com" traffic there, thus pretty much ruining the status of the domain. In the end, we felt we had at least enough ground to file a motion with ICANN, the central domain authority, to try and recover the animewallpapers.com name.

After taking about a month, the panel, thankfully ruled in our favor on the arbitration, a decision which you can read here: http://domains.adrforum.com/domains/...ns/1043246.htm as all UDRP rulings are public.

After going through all this, and finally recovering the names, Kitty (pmak's mother) was very kind in offering the domains to me, with a very fair offer, in the hopes that we can continue and build the site in the way her son would've wanted it to run, as opposed to going with an ad agency, which could've paid a larger sum, but would've been unlikely to maintain the site correctly.

As Hongli was also running animelyrics.tv, and because we agreed that having two sites with nearly duplicate content was unwieldy, we took control of that domain as well, and it is currently redirecting to the animelyrics.com site.

Right now, I, and all of us here on the anime globe network, are working hard to restore animewallpapers.com and to build it up into the site it should be. The site is about 60% complete right now, and while work on it will continue into the near (and probably far) future, I wanted to make sure that some of the actual story came through as to what really happened.

I would like to ask for your help in rebuilding the sites, both with any comments/suggestions you can give us for what the site should be able to do, and in any content submissions you can make to help us take off and grow further.

Thank you for reading all of this, and I hope that some things are a bit clearer now then they used to be.

- Igor Bass / Kaitou Ace
    - Princess Minako

Taiga ga suki da. KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2010 12:32 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I see. So that was the reason the site seemed a bit dead then? I'm glad that got settled. It seems a little disrespectful and unethical to be stealing somebody's domain, from a deceased man no less.

I'm sure the forums has enough talent to make animewallpapers grow. Though it might not be much, I'll do what I can too.^^

バン!バン!
    ---

|

---
    [sketches] | [sig thread]

Senior Member In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz has a reputation beyond repute In0kz's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts Ladybug Hare Ramen
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-26-2012 02:29 PM
    Threads

thanks for lettin us know

__________________________________________________ __________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sig/avvy by
    Bankai Kurosaki

Jose does not forgive! Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose has a reputation beyond repute Jose's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2011 08:27 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: PMMEFORTHIS

Yes, yes I'm sorry about pmak but whatever i can do to help ask and i will do it

Has no life (~_~) Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena has much to be proud of Eternal Serena's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-06-2007 10:35 AM
    Threads

I was wondering why I stopped getting updates in my email! So that's what happened...it's a shame that pmak passed from us, he did a wonderful job with the website, I've always been a big fan of it.
    Which leads to the fact that I'm even more thrilled that you guys have managed to save it! Great job Iggy, Minako-chan and everyone else who put effort into this. I'm really proud of you guys. Keep up the great work! I will always support animewallpapers.com and everyone who is involved.
    P.S. See if anyone can find wallpapers for "Karin" ~_^

~E.S.

The pain in pleasure often becomes the pleasure of pain.
    Thanks for watching as I fall...
    Beauty is a curse on this world. It keeps us all from knowing who the real monsters are.

Senior Member ChibiSasukex has a reputation beyond repute ChibiSasukex has a reputation beyond repute ChibiSasukex has a reputation beyond repute ChibiSasukex has a reputation beyond repute ChibiSasukex has a reputation beyond repute ChibiSasukex has a reputation beyond repute ChibiSasukex has a reputation beyond repute ChibiSasukex has a reputation beyond repute ChibiSasukex has a reputation beyond repute ChibiSasukex has a reputation beyond repute ChibiSasukex has a reputation beyond repute ChibiSasukex's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-01-2010 09:44 AM
    Threads

sorry to hear about pmak's death but i do hope you can get some help
    Heske ~ Cousin

Miss I ~ sister

[~] Gummy Bears & Muffins rule [~]

K N Cousin

Member Defender has a brilliant future Defender has a brilliant future Defender has a brilliant future Defender has a brilliant future Defender has a brilliant future Defender has a brilliant future Defender has a brilliant future Defender has a brilliant future Defender has a brilliant future Defender has a brilliant future Defender has a brilliant future Defender's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-10-2007 12:32 PM
    Threads

Wow, that's sad to hear, but I'm glad it's worked out ok in the end.

As far as what I'd like to see on animewallpapers? My GREATEST complain over the years was the lack of any wallpapers over 1024x768 in size. Displays are pretty large these days and people like to run at high resolutions like 1280 & 1600, and the wallpaper collections should reflect that I think.

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-13-2009 08:17 AM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

This really isn't the thread for posting what changes should be made. This is just an update thread. Perhaps Ace will start a suggestions thread once things are more settled down. Thank you for your continued support.

Pink is the new Pooky
    Party it up in Wallpapers
    | join the AF Gaia guild!
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

musing of a mod : Illuminated Spirits : Theme: uber_pink

Senior Member Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key has a reputation beyond repute Key's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-29-2008 02:22 PM
    Threads

Wow...long explanation...

Thanks for the details. And so sorry to hear the admin passed away.

Hope to see the site improve as it continues to grow.

[Edit]
    The site is running slow...Uploading the page took almost 2-3 mins. There's times when I tried to upload the page, it went jammed.
    Maybe that's just me, with my modem...

Off Topic

Defender:
    Not to say that higher res is bad. But if you've come across 1600x1200 res, as the normal desktop size, and not widescreen, it should be fine with your desktop screen size.
    Still, I like high res. ^^
    Last edited by Key; 11-14-2007 at 11:29 AM.
    Me? I'm a wallpaper critique...

Minitokyo ll ComicFiesta ll KAMCAO

::
    Cosplay Plan::
    - Ise Nanao
    - Yubari Gogo

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan has a reputation beyond repute MistressPookyChan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

It might be running slow because a bunch of us have been updating the files and getting everything fixed. Thanks for letting us know!

Pink is the new Pooky
    "Spilt coffee has a sad remembrance of old"- from a plastic bag seen on the train

Junior Member Cindy23 is on a distinguished road Cindy23's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-16-2007 04:39 PM
    Threads

I was wondering too... thanks

The Janitor Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados has a reputation beyond repute Variados's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-12-2011 10:55 AM
    Threads

Now...I am sad. This is a very complicated story and very sad. Thanks for sharing and I know the site will be better than ever.

YAY... It appear that BOREDOM strikes quite often!!

Junior Member ph15h is on a distinguished road ph15h's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-05-2007 03:40 PM
    Threads

haven't been on the forum until today, but used to go to the site all the time... I'm pretty good with tech stuff... so if you guys need nething, just ask

Junior Member aarcane is on a distinguished road aarcane's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-05-2007 11:01 PM
    Threads

I've never been an active member of the community but a user and lover of the site for some time. I am an experienced PHP developer, and would love to help if I can. I've enabled recieving mails if you'd like to contact me.

my suggestion to improve the site is to allow wallpapers of all resolutions, and to allow narrowing of browse/search results by resolution. preferably at a top level.

Member elephant_lost has a reputation beyond repute elephant_lost has a reputation beyond repute elephant_lost has a reputation beyond repute elephant_lost has a reputation beyond repute elephant_lost has a reputation beyond repute elephant_lost has a reputation beyond repute elephant_lost has a reputation beyond repute elephant_lost has a reputation beyond repute elephant_lost has a reputation beyond repute elephant_lost has a reputation beyond repute elephant_lost has a reputation beyond repute elephant_lost's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-23-2007 12:53 PM
    Threads

I used to visit that site alot and was wondering what happened (not as a member, just as a viewer), now I know and it is saddening
    And Who Will Stand To Greet The Guiding Light;
    It's Lonely When There's No One Left To Fight

Thanks to Cathryn

Junior Member Neijirou_Urashima is on a distinguished road Neijirou_Urashima's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-08-2007 08:10 AM
    Threads

Default If Only I could........

What!???? PMak already passed away??? I'm really sorry to hear that. I've not gone to this site just for a while, no so long, but....... i never knew that he already passed away. The last time I went there, animewallpapars still showing the ads of an RO private server, and I downloaded gundam seed wallpapers. It's really nostalgic went there, when all the anime titles listed in left table.
    Hearing PMak passed away really made me sad, I has been starting to go to this site since 4 years ago. And just for a while absent, he went out for forever.
    Anyway, thanks for your information, that makes me remember a lot 'bout him.
    Eh, I forget something, thanks for bringin back animewallpapers for us.
    I'd like to help you, but I don't know what I can do...........
    Last edited by Neijirou_Urashima; 12-08-2007 at 08:51 AM.

Junior Member Tifa_Yagami is on a distinguished road Tifa_Yagami's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-09-2007 03:36 PM
    Threads

i have some of the old wallpapers in my comp that i dont see back on. Can i submit these?

☃ Snowmen! ☃
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

Some of my walls got deleted too. We'll have a new submissions thread once the site is cleaned up.

Pink is the new Pooky

Junior Member wrylock is on a distinguished road wrylock's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-14-2007 03:40 AM
    Threads

Default wow..

so that what had happened..so sad to here..thanks to kaitou for doing all of this..^^..thanks..

BuLmA's Protector Aya_Strawberrie ♥ has a reputation beyond repute Aya_Strawberrie ♥ has a reputation beyond repute Aya_Strawberrie ♥ has a reputation beyond repute Aya_Strawberrie ♥ has a reputation beyond repute Aya_Strawberrie ♥ has a reputation beyond repute Aya_Strawberrie ♥ has a reputation beyond repute Aya_Strawberrie ♥ has a reputation beyond repute Aya_Strawberrie ♥ has a reputation beyond repute Aya_Strawberrie ♥ has a reputation beyond repute Aya_Strawberrie ♥ has a reputation beyond repute Aya_Strawberrie ♥ has a reputation beyond repute Aya_Strawberrie ♥'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-14-2010 10:35 AM
    Threads

Question

Too bad about Pmak's death...
    But thank u for the explanation.....
    ~Avvy nd Sig Made by AWESOME GoodyLucky!

~Sig Made by AWESOME Mini!
    ~ThaNKs a Looot, Ma FrieNDs~

LaFF is BeauTifuL
    ~Learn from ur mistake, and dont do that again..

Junior Member Alexsis23 is a jewel in the rough Alexsis23 is a jewel in the rough Alexsis23 is a jewel in the rough Alexsis23 is a jewel in the rough Alexsis23's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-25-2008 03:14 PM
    Threads

I wish for Good Luck and Fortune to you and your friends...
    Best Regards

Senior Member Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth has a reputation beyond repute Darrmyth's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-09-2009 05:42 PM
    Threads

Thank you for making sure animewallpaper.com is alive and well, if it was not for that site then i would have never have come to this site, nor would i was ever knew of this sites existance, thank you for saving animewallpapers.com

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    St. Celestine.

--\/-- घ फोना ईाूहील् --/\-- I Have Returned--\/--

Senior Member escaflownemoon is a splendid one to behold escaflownemoon is a splendid one to behold escaflownemoon is a splendid one to behold escaflownemoon is a splendid one to behold escaflownemoon is a splendid one to behold escaflownemoon is a splendid one to behold escaflownemoon is a splendid one to behold escaflownemoon's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-25-2009 07:58 PM
    Threads
    AW Wallpapers

It is sad to hear this news as I used to be a frequent member at the animeforums but glad that animewallpaper still exist and is updated. Thanks for all the hard work. Keep up the good work.

Junior Member inmoltalrain is just really nice inmoltalrain is just really nice inmoltalrain is just really nice inmoltalrain is just really nice inmoltalrain's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-11-2008 04:23 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: will post 2moro

Man, i almost fell sorry for all the truble u guys when though for "us"
    and a moment of silent for the death...

Well guys keep up the good work.
    Every happy family is happy like everyone else... Every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

I was kinda Bore, so i change one of the eyes~~!
    ^_^

Cut it and send it, and Good Luck

Junior Member GM Delphine is on a distinguished road GM Delphine's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-19-2008 11:11 PM
    Threads

I'm a GM from TalonRO, one of the original GM team with Phil on AnimaRO.

I just want to say thank you for working with Phil's mother on kicking Hongli's butt. When Phil passed away, Hongli also stole AnimaRO. That was something we didn't anticipate and was not able to prevent. Because we were so shocked and weren't able to obtain evidence, Phil's mother wasn't able to sue Hongli for all that he stole from AnimaRO.

What's more tragic was although we knew what happened, we could not convince our player base that Hongli's not to be trusted, and Hongli robbed Phil's mother of his estate.

We always regretted that we weren't able to help, and even resulted in AnimaRO splitting into two servers: AnthemRO and TalonRO. Knowing you helped Phil's mother obtain evidence and prove the server belonged to him, really means a lot to me personally.

Thank you. Thanks to you, Hongli's no longer on the AnthemRO staff. I have no way to know if he's profiting off AnthemRO still, or if he's disguised as another GM on their staff, but I'm just happy he's gone, and got what he deserved.

Phil trusted him. It's absolutely despicable he would do something like this to his own best friend.

P.S. If you do feel sorry for Phil and angry that Hongli robbed something else as well, please don't flame AnthemRO's website. This happened over a year ago and has been resolved in court. I think we got our players involved enough that now I just want both servers' players to enjoy their games and not worry about the drama.
    Last edited by GM Delphine; 05-19-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information