AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Staph Outbreak

Senior Member Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-28-2008 11:32 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Staph Outbreak

Apparently, the recent rash of antibiotic-resistant Staph infections has spread even to the Midwest. There have been six confirmed cases in Omaha, NE, and even more in various places in Virginia.

A Staph infection, for those of you who might not know, starts when the Staphylococcus aureus virus gets into the bloodstream, usually through an open cut or wound. It's very resistant to medications, and approximately 20% of cases are fatal. Just as a footnote, Wikipedia's article isn't accurate.

The symptoms of a Staph infection are wounds that don't heal, excessive swelling, excessive weeping and oozing of the wound, and high fever. It's spread by sharing clothing, bedding, towels, and sometimes by sharing drinks. Staph infections are generally only seen in hospitals.

Does anyone know anyone who lives in the Staph-infected areas? What're the general suggestions for getting the infections under control?
    ~Synesthete Extraordinaire~

PSA: If you're going to bad-rep me, do these three things.
    1. Learn which one is bad-rep. Green=good.
    2. Grow a pair and tell me to my face. Average amount that I check reputation: About once every three weeks or so.
    3. Sign the bad rep. At least have the guts to announce that it was you.

SNAPE KILLS YOUR MOM AT THE END OF BOOK SEVEN.

Senior Member Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia has a reputation beyond repute Acnologia's Avatar
    Gil
    Tired
    Gifts Present Bomb Aquarius
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2014 05:45 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I haven't been wounded in years.
    I don't really do anything rough enough for it.

ein, zwei, drei, vier bin endlich weg von Dir
    fünf, sechs, sieben, acht Du hast jetzt keine Macht

Top Gun bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame has a reputation beyond repute bakakame's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-10-2010 08:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It is a normal health concern around the highschool football field, especially with players constantly being thrown to the ground and them going to the bench and using the same towells. Though I don't recall anyone getting Staph while I was there, which amazes me considering the normal sanitation levels at that school.

Senior Member Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan has a reputation beyond repute Momokachan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-28-2008 11:32 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Shirayuki View Post
    I haven't been wounded in years.
    I don't really do anything rough enough for it.
    The thing with Staph, though, is that it can get in through even the tiniest cut. You have to watch everything, no matter how trivial it seems. My mother, who works in a California hospital, has had at least one Staph infection in the last five years, because she didn't watch a paper cut close enough.
    ~Synesthete Extraordinaire~

PSA: If you're going to bad-rep me, do these three things.
    1. Learn which one is bad-rep. Green=good.
    2. Grow a pair and tell me to my face. Average amount that I check reputation: About once every three weeks or so.
    3. Sign the bad rep. At least have the guts to announce that it was you.

SNAPE KILLS YOUR MOM AT THE END OF BOOK SEVEN.

HTC love MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2009 12:42 AM
    Threads

It's mainly a hospital issue. There are many antibiotic resistant bacteria now [curse you plasmids] but it's not a new thing. We can keep on changing penicillin types as its effectiveness decreases. However, Russia is the only country that is using phages to treat patients. It requires the solution of phages to come into direct contact with the infection and therefore is quite invasive. Thus no other trials have been conducted elsewhere although many pharmaceutical companies are looking at other applications of phages.

I don't see this becoming a big problem. Sure the spread of resistance between bacteria is rapid but we are developing new drugs at a rapid rate. I like the idea of using phages but it would be too difficult to integrate into the current medical system. Can you imagine having to go to some special medical facility to have a tube inserted into your infection, say leg, several times a week? Going to the doctors and getting a prescription to then have the drug in your hand is much more effective and allows more people to be treated simultaneously.

Golden staph is one of the best known examples of antibiotic resistant bacteria but there are many others out there. The only thing we can do now is to limit how we administer antibiotics by not introducing certain penicillins derivatives so that we can use them in special cases. One might look at it as a trump card. If you use it all the time, it won’t have the same effect.

Corrupted Data Inc. CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Cookie Ice Cream Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2014 09:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Wow, this isn't my field so this is the first time that I've heard of Staph. XD Thanks for telling. And I don't know if anyone here is infected or how to prevent/treat it, sorry.

Mini_Twilight's Slave Bean Bandit has a reputation beyond repute Bean Bandit has a reputation beyond repute Bean Bandit has a reputation beyond repute Bean Bandit has a reputation beyond repute Bean Bandit has a reputation beyond repute Bean Bandit has a reputation beyond repute Bean Bandit has a reputation beyond repute Bean Bandit has a reputation beyond repute Bean Bandit has a reputation beyond repute Bean Bandit has a reputation beyond repute Bean Bandit has a reputation beyond repute Bean Bandit's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-16-2008 09:01 PM
    Threads

Staph infections can be very serious and dangerous. I have a website on a wrester who had that infection. Here is what he wrote about it.

I was wrestling in a soiled wrestling ring in Albany, NY, and took a halfhearted bump. The mat was so dirty that my right leg stuck to it. As I twisted free, I wrenched my knee. A couple days later, I rubbed my leg against another dirty canvas in St. Petersburg, Florida, coming away with mat burn on my elbow. When the grime penetrated the raw exposed skin, the bacteria traveled down my body and settled in my already inflamed knee.
    A few days after that, outside of Philadelphia, I was startled awake in my hotel room. My knee was inflated like a balloon, with red lines streaking up my thigh to my groin area. I called the desk clerk, who directed me to a hospital in Chester, Pennsylvania.
    Hobbling into the emergency room, I told the doctor on duty, "I need to get this knee drained, I'm the World Wide Wrestling Federation Champion, and I have to defend the belt tonight against Bruno Sammartino."
    The doctor was unimpressed: "Fine, lets take the fluid out and send it to the lab, and find out what's in you knee."
    When the results came back, he was more frantic. I had a staph infection, and needed to be checked into the hospital.
    "Can't you just drain the knee?" I implored.
    "We can. But if you check out your going to die."
    In the operating room, the doctor gave me a local anesthetic, tied down my arms with velcro straps, sliced me down to the bone, pulled apart my skin and tissue with a pair of grippers, and began scraping chunks off my knee bone. The bone itself wasn't numb, and the when the scalpel scratched against it, I nearly leaped through the ceiling. The pain was unbelievable.
    Staph infection are prone to athletes definetly.
    Last edited by Bean Bandit; 10-23-2007 at 09:25 PM.

100% Vitamin C Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan has a reputation beyond repute Ami~chan's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-21-2008 08:57 PM
    Threads

I'm glad I swim. Chlorine kills a whole lot of stuff.

Back in high school, I had two guy friends who had staph at one time. Both were on the football team.

All I can say is this: Keep your cuts and scrapes clean! Germ-Ex Bomb Time!
    -Back! From Outer Space!-
    -Soldats Royal Family-

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2020 05:11 PM
    Threads

well the good thing is that it can't be transmitted through the air. But still crazy stuff, but it is pretty much going to turn out like the avian bird flu virus, everyone is in a panic now, and 1 month later, britney spears robs a bank and commits suicide becomes the new "big" news.

May precipitate OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2018 11:48 PM
    Threads

But don't staph infections only seriously affect those with lower immune systems?

Tru Fax: Princess Minako wrestled Jesus... and won

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Nah, it can infect anyone. It is common in hawaii, australia, and other common humid areas with coral. Surfers who fall off the wave and are cut by the coral and then it becoms infected and with the humidity it just makes it a breeding ground. Animals can also become the carrier. The thing that makes it bad is that the infection causes a pustial lesion on the skin and the virus can diffuse into the blood stream and can create toxic shock syndrome.

May precipitate OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud has a reputation beyond repute OminousCloud's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by International 4-8818 View Post
    Nah, it can infect anyone. It is common in hawaii, australia, and other common humid areas with coral. Surfers who fall off the wave and are cut by the coral and then it becoms infected and with the humidity it just makes it a breeding ground. Animals can also become the carrier. The thing that makes it bad is that the infection causes a pustial lesion on the skin and the virus can diffuse into the blood stream and can create toxic shock syndrome.
    Yer I know that! But I thought the more serious symptoms most commonly affect those with lower immune systems. Pimples are the most common forms of staph infections. If you pop one and don't clean the area properly it's really easy for the virus to enter the blood stream. But if you have a high immune system your body should be able to destroy the virus before chaos and mayhem occurs.... right?

Member Steee'heven has a reputation beyond repute Steee'heven has a reputation beyond repute Steee'heven has a reputation beyond repute Steee'heven has a reputation beyond repute Steee'heven has a reputation beyond repute Steee'heven has a reputation beyond repute Steee'heven has a reputation beyond repute Steee'heven has a reputation beyond repute Steee'heven has a reputation beyond repute Steee'heven has a reputation beyond repute Steee'heven has a reputation beyond repute Steee'heven's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-25-2007 01:18 PM
    Threads

Staph is rampant now all over the country (US). It mainly flourishes in hospitals and nursing homes where it can thrive because of close contact.

THing with it though is that it can't really be cured with basic antibiotics that you would be prescribed by your doctor, as it's an infection. The only thing doctor's can really do is give you something to help the pain and to try andcontain it so the infection doesn't spread into any organs.

Controlling the infection? I guess wash your hands, eat your beans,and don't cut yourself and run around in hospital rooms.

Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Twilight View Post
    Yer I know that! But I thought the more serious symptoms most commonly affect those with lower immune systems. Pimples are the most common forms of staph infections. If you pop one and don't clean the area properly it's really easy for the virus to enter the blood stream. But if you have a high immune system your body should be able to destroy the virus before chaos and mayhem occurs.... right?
    low or high immune system, your still going to get it.

Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

low or high immune system, your still going to get it.
    WOOOOSH!

I'm referring to the progression of the infection...

Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Oh, so are you saying that it is like AID's. It weakens the immune system?

Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Oh, so are you saying that it is like AID's. It weakens the immune system?
    No... I'm saying that if you get infected, the more serious symptoms occur to those with lower immune systems, whereas those with higher immune systems can destroy the virus more effectively and might not even develop symptoms at all.

Troll, do not feed! Thingle is infamous around these parts Thingle is infamous around these parts Thingle is infamous around these parts Thingle is infamous around these parts Thingle is infamous around these parts Thingle is infamous around these parts Thingle is infamous around these parts Thingle is infamous around these parts Thingle is infamous around these parts Thingle is infamous around these parts Thingle is infamous around these parts Thingle's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-29-2008 11:25 PM
    Threads

Don't worry. Because after its ravaging, all that's left are the strongest citizens of the country. At least, you get rid of the physically weak organisms.
    Or the mentally strongest, those who would watch their actions.

A stronger America. Just as Kerry would say.
    Last edited by Thingle; 10-23-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Twilight View Post
    No... I'm saying that if you get infected, the more serious symptoms occur to those with lower immune systems, whereas those with higher immune systems can destroy the virus more effectively and might not even develop symptoms at all.
    oh oh, then yes, people with more anti-bodies of course will have a high chance of fighting off the infection. And visa versa.

Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

oh oh, then yes, people with more anti-bodies of course will have a high chance of fighting off the infection. And visa versa.
    Higher immune system does not equal more antibodies. It equals more effective antibodies. You could have a billion antibodies but they could all be deficient which would mean you have a low immune system.

Hazzah for the small details

Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

HTC love MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO has a reputation beyond repute MomijiTMO's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-09-2009 12:42 AM
    Threads

But still crazy stuff, but it is pretty much going to turn out like the avian bird flu virus....
    You just compared a virus to a bacterium.

I can't believe what people are saying. Like Mini_Twilight said, this bacteria is everywhere. However it is one type of bacteria that appears to be antibiotic resistant. That does not mean that all staphylococcus aureus has this combination of genes on their plasmid. The point is that it can occur, it does occur and it’s a problem.

AIDS is the condition brought on by HIV. Since you probably don’t know, the host cells for the HIV virus are several immune cells which renders the immune system useless. IT IS TOTALLY UNREALATED.

If you are going to start bring onboard terminologies or theories, have them backed or don’t say anything.

This extends well beyond this species. Plasmids can be transmitted between different bacteria, hence why it can occur that all of the sudden bacteria are resistant to all known penicillin derivatives. Since hospitals are full of bacteria and patients with different antibiotics, one can easily see why it's mainly a hospital problem.
    Last edited by MomijiTMO; 10-23-2007 at 11:39 PM.

There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gil
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 11:27 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
    Actually, he compared one "epidemic" to another. Thus saying that this Staph outbreak is probably much ado about nothing.
    Last edited by Manhattan_Project_2000; 10-23-2007 at 11:47 PM.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

i was not comparing the virus to the bacteria, i was comparing how the NEWS REPORT of the avian virus will die down in the media along with the staph infection

Gil
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post

I can't believe what people are saying. Like Mini_Twilight said, this bacteria is everywhere. However it is one type of bacteria that appears to be antibiotic resistant. That does not mean that all staphylococcus aureus has this combination of genes on their plasmid. The point is that it can occur, it does occur and it’s a problem.

AIDS is the condition brought on by HIV. Since you probably don’t know, the host cells for the HIV virus are several immune cells which renders the immune system useless. IT IS TOTALLY UNREALATED.

If you are going to start bring onboard terminologies or theories, have them backed or don’t say anything.

This extends well beyond this species. Plasmids can be transmitted between different bacteria, hence why it can occur that all of the sudden bacteria are resistant to all known penicillin derivatives. Since hospitals are full of bacteria and patients with different antibiotics, one can easily see why it's mainly a hospital problem.
    Very true, if I had my way I'd subject them all to restriction enzymes mwahahaha

you know the very first examples of emos.

But there are so many problems with that, it's a work in progress, I might even get a Nobel Prize xD

Edit: has it really reached epidemic proportions?
    Last edited by OminousCloud; 10-23-2007 at 11:49 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information