AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: recommendations: boogiepop phantom?

Junior Member feverfew is on a distinguished road feverfew's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-17-2007 04:32 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default recommendations: boogiepop phantom?

Hi forum,

i'm new here and somewhat new to anime. i watched evangelion a while ago and absolutely adored it..but it wasn't until i watched boogiepop phantom that i completely and totally fell in love with a series!

now i'm looking for some more anime that i might also enjoy to that same "OH GOD I LOVE IT!!" extent. lain was suggested to me, but something about it wasn't as captivating as bp and eva. same with paranoia agent and ghost in the shell (although i seem to enjoy the series more than the movie?). on the contrary, fullmetal alchemist the movie was fantastic, but the series seemed to drag a bit.

it's not that darker anime appeals to me either..i've seen hellsing and thought it was only "okay." same with vampire hunter d and blood.

i think i will greatly enjoy bleach and pet shop of horrors from the manga i have read, but bleach hasn't come out yet (?) and i can't find psoh.

and i bought the entire ayashi no ceres to be VERY, VERY disappointed. apparently, i am not a romance fan.

this is probably confusing! but is there anyone that can make some suggestions for anime i might enjoy? that was: philosophical, not romance-based, and not trying too hard to be "dark." ..i think.

thanks a million!

Senior Member overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2010 03:34 PM
    Threads

Well on the philosophical front I would recommend the Ghost in the Shell series. Start with the movies (usually sold in a double pack today) both ar e good and if you like them then you could try and T.V. series. After that thier is the film Akira.
    Another solid try would be Cowboy Bebop - very popular series - think it like a space western setting (think like Fire Fly).
    In the slightly darker side (but not much) you might like Witch Hunter Robin - takes a while to get off the groud but picks up later on in the series - not standing at the top but not sitting a the bottom.
    For mech you could try Rahxephon (spelling might be wrong) I haven't seen this myself but as I have just started watching Neon genesis I have heard about this anime - apparently similar style and some consider it better.

sig by shougo amakousa
    Quote Eris:

There are no rules. They are just words on a piece of paper.

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

You know, half the stuff you suggested Over was already mentioned by the thread starter -__-;;

I would suggest Noir. Not very philosophical, but I guess you can say its a bit dark.

Egro Proxy is another good series [imo] that you might wanna check out.

I'll post more if I think of any

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Senior Member overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2010 03:34 PM
    Threads

I have yet to perfect the art of skim reading - missed the ghost refrence in his post - feels stupid

sig by shougo amakousa
    Quote Eris:

There are no rules. They are just words on a piece of paper.

Senior Member mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-15-2008 08:51 AM
    Threads

tsukihime/lunar legends might fit you, its a bit dark and has a great story, but it does have some lovin in it tho
    Higurashi no naku koro ni has great originality and is one of thoes mindblowin animes
    mind game, its kinda strange, but if you can appriciate it for, its a great movie that goes ways most animes dont, not to dark tho
    hope theese might help

-d-
    MR PANTSU FOR PRESIDENT!!
    Mr Pantsu's has watched list
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/MrPantsu

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

thank you so much!

over, i'm actually glad you mentioned gits, because i've wondered if i should give the movie a second chance...maybe i'll like it better the second time around?

is there an english title for higurashi no naku koro ni? i've actually looked for that and been unable to find it.

noir, ergo proxy, and cowboy bebop are now on my "to watch" list ^^

The Greekest Letter in the Alphabet. Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega has a reputation beyond repute Ωmega's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-17-2021 05:53 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Marooroo Steam ID: Maru_Mod_Dashi

Oh, if you pick up a manga series, I'd suggest Priest. A very dark series indeed [I dont think theres an anime for it though]

.-.
    (o.o)
    |=|
    __|__
    //.=|=.\\
    // .=|=. \\
    \\ .=|=. //
    \\(_=_)//
    (:| |: )
    || ||
    () ()
    || ||
    || ||
    ==' '==

Senior Member mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu has much to be proud of mr pantsu's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-15-2008 08:51 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by feverfew View Post
    is there an english title for higurashi no naku koro ni? i've actually looked for that and been unable to find it.
    yea theres a couple of them actually hehe

-When They Cry
    -The Moment the Cicadas Cry
    -When Cicadas Cry

ps. you might wanna check out monster and red garden too
    Last edited by mr pantsu; 09-10-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: ps'ing
    MR PANTSU FOR PRESIDENT!!
    Mr Pantsu's has watched list
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/MrPantsu

Legend Thousand Eyes has a spectacular aura about Thousand Eyes has a spectacular aura about Thousand Eyes has a spectacular aura about Thousand Eyes's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-17-2011 08:32 PM
    Threads

Boogiepop Phantom is one of the best psychological thriller Anime series that I've seen. It's also one of my top five favourites, because I love the way it depicts each affected character's narration. There's always a crossover with each character and the perspective-changes are awesome.

Other recommendations are Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu and Noein. You might also like Twilight Q.
    Last edited by Thousand Eyes; 09-17-2007 at 02:49 PM.
    More than a thousand problems. Less than a thousand solutions.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

thanks again for all the suggestions! higurashi no naku koro ti has been just what i was looking for and noir was a surprisingly good series as well. i started tsukihime and like what i've seen so far!

you're a helpful group ^_^

Closed Thread

Thread Information