AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: American accents?

tuxedo mask shane the ninja is a splendid one to behold shane the ninja is a splendid one to behold shane the ninja is a splendid one to behold shane the ninja is a splendid one to behold shane the ninja is a splendid one to behold shane the ninja is a splendid one to behold shane the ninja is a splendid one to behold shane the ninja's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-24-2013 07:07 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default American accents?

Is it me being typical english or do americans have the best accents?
    Destined to be alone for ever.

Taiga ga suki da. KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-28-2010 12:32 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I think the reasoning goes that Americans have no accents. Everyone who doesn't talk like an American will have an accent. I have a question though (that hopefully is still part of the thread's topic) If the British spoke English first and Americans just copied that, shouldn't it be the British who have no accents and Americans who have one? Just something to ponder on.
    Last edited by KuroTan; 09-14-2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason: I just noticed an embarrasing grammatical error.I am ashamed.

バン!バン!
    ---

|

---
    [sketches] | [sig thread]

-Property of Ky Love- Shirai Ryu Scorpion has a reputation beyond repute Shirai Ryu Scorpion has a reputation beyond repute Shirai Ryu Scorpion has a reputation beyond repute Shirai Ryu Scorpion has a reputation beyond repute Shirai Ryu Scorpion has a reputation beyond repute Shirai Ryu Scorpion has a reputation beyond repute Shirai Ryu Scorpion has a reputation beyond repute Shirai Ryu Scorpion has a reputation beyond repute Shirai Ryu Scorpion has a reputation beyond repute Shirai Ryu Scorpion has a reputation beyond repute Shirai Ryu Scorpion has a reputation beyond repute Shirai Ryu Scorpion's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2010 02:06 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cpt Fox McCloud

What?? American's dont have an accent only southren, and nothern people have the accents Shane you ok there buddy --Checks head for a fever-- Nope she's OK!

Member Mittens has a reputation beyond repute Mittens has a reputation beyond repute Mittens has a reputation beyond repute Mittens has a reputation beyond repute Mittens has a reputation beyond repute Mittens has a reputation beyond repute Mittens has a reputation beyond repute Mittens has a reputation beyond repute Mittens has a reputation beyond repute Mittens has a reputation beyond repute Mittens has a reputation beyond repute Mittens's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-13-2007 05:09 PM
    Threads

Well, I suppose we sound pretty all right when we speak, but personally I think British accents are the best. When spoken in that manner, everything automatically sounds more intelligent and elegant... haha.

Oh yes, we have accents, for sure. Well, okay, the majority are more like dialects... either way, I assure you, there are hundreds of different ways an American can speak. And, contrary to popular belief, we don't all sound like cowboys or country bumpkins. XD

Technically, since the most basic section of American people originated from England, Americans have created a separate accent, yes.
    The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.
    AF Blog. =3

Senior Member GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-03-2007 06:29 PM
    Threads

well, the way i see it, every country has an accent

but, the people in the country may not notice the accent because they live there, but people would think americans have accents because they do not live in america, and have not heard that type of speech before

BTW irish accents are the best :P

Star-Crossed Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2010 04:21 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0202-0359-4623-9027

For those who think Americans don't have an accent: You're wrong, everyone has an accent, it's foolish to think that just because -you're- American -you- don't have an accent.

Anyway, I like British, Aussie, and Swedish accents the most, their so cute. Scottish accents aren't bad either. Since I'm American I don't really know what our accent sounds like, if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Buruku; 09-14-2007 at 04:21 PM.
    A MaruDashi Creation

Senior Member overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2010 03:34 PM
    Threads

baka black - ignoring the effect of TV and its ability to standadies accests over a whole countru (eventually) there is a wide range of different accests even in one country like Great Britain - scottish/ southern/ upperclass (often taken as plain british)/ Welsh/ cockney (not hollywood but real) the list goes on and on.
    Oh and Shane - I thought they typical was the other way around - the americans like british accents.

sig by shougo amakousa
    Quote Eris:

There are no rules. They are just words on a piece of paper.

Senior Member Drunk_Squid has a reputation beyond repute Drunk_Squid has a reputation beyond repute Drunk_Squid has a reputation beyond repute Drunk_Squid has a reputation beyond repute Drunk_Squid has a reputation beyond repute Drunk_Squid has a reputation beyond repute Drunk_Squid has a reputation beyond repute Drunk_Squid has a reputation beyond repute Drunk_Squid has a reputation beyond repute Drunk_Squid has a reputation beyond repute Drunk_Squid has a reputation beyond repute Drunk_Squid's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-21-2010 12:17 PM
    Threads

You have Texas accents, Southern Bileball Belt accents, ect. I myself have no accent.

Oh yes, and by the way, most learned Americans speak English better and more properly than most British folks because a lot of them have extremely cockney accents that involve too much jibberish and jibber jabber thrown into their sentences with short indescribable words that are meaningless only to show that they are British and can talk funny.

Taiga ga suki da. KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan has a reputation beyond repute KuroTan's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
    baka black - ignoring the effect of TV and its ability to standadies accests over a whole countru (eventually) there is a wide range of different accests even in one country like Great Britain - scottish/ southern/ upperclass (often taken as plain british)/ Welsh/ cockney (not hollywood but real) the list goes on and on.
    lol. I know that. Living in Brunei thought me how different some Brits are in the way they talk.

*Side info* Brunei is a really small country in the island of Borneo. The reason there are a lot of British there is because they have a garrison there for the Gurkhas (Nepali shock troops for people who don't know). And probably because the whole island basically has been monopolized by Shell for their oil.^^'

バン!バン!
    ---

|

---

The Character Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken has a reputation beyond repute Zantetsuken's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-22-2007 10:12 PM
    Threads

Southern, Pennslyvania Dutch, etc.

But the best has to be America's creation of the Valley Girl. lol

All I need is hand grenades.

Why rob a bank? Rob a drug dealer. What are they gonna do? Call the cops?

MySpace
    http://www.Otaku-Gamer.com

Her nickname at age 11. Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti has a reputation beyond repute Reniti's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2010 05:44 PM
    Threads

Everyone has an accent. Seriously.

To the Britain, they don't have accents at all. To them, we have the accents. It depends on where you were raised. Some British, I bet, could fake an "American Accent" like a few of us can fake a British accent.

Edit; Crap. I didn't answer the question.

Gil
    Amused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo_Burossamu View Post
    Some British, I bet, could fake an "American Accent" like a few of us can fake a British accent.
    I present actor Hugh Laurie (guy who plays Dr. House if you don't know him.) as evidence of that statement.

バン!バン!
    ---

|

---

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I dislike American English in general. It's systematic abuse of the English language. Just take the case of "Aluminum." Seriously, that's just wrong on so many levels.

I'll take a good Aussie or British accent before an American, any day.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

im in a great dream Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari has a reputation beyond repute Kawairashii hikari's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-05-2010 11:24 AM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: *thinks* idk

Quote Originally Posted by baka_black View Post
    If the British spoke English first and American's just copied that, shouldn't it be the British who have no accents and American's who have one? Just something to ponder on.
    yea that is something to wonder about, and actually i HAVE thought about that from time to time, we should be the one's to have accents and for them to have no accents but i guess that sets us apart from the rest of the world...cause it seems like all of the world has accents and we don't (except for Southern Americans)

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    Well, I suppose we sound pretty all right when we speak, but personally I think British accents are the best. When spoken in that manner, everything automatically sounds more intelligent and elegant... haha.
    i agree with that as well i luff Britsh accents though, it's something that i just so plainly crave to hear, it might be the reason why i like Pirates of the Carribean so much ^_^
    LOVE YA: HEG <33 PON, KIBUM <3

"Oh oh oh oh Oppareul saranghae. Ah ah ah ah manhi manhihae." - Girls Generstion "Oh"

Star-Crossed Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

It seems like whenever someone foreign trys to immitate an American accent, they always do a Texas one, like we're all from Texas.

Then they usually say something like "HOWDY Y'ALL!!"

A MaruDashi Creation

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

lol There are so many American accents. I personally love my Cali accent, thank you very much. I don't mind Texan accents, but most Southern and Philly and Brooklyn accents annoy me. lol Sorry guys. I don't like Midwest ones either, they talk too damn slow!

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Senior Member Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali has a reputation beyond repute Masali's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2011 12:14 PM
    Threads

Philly accent...sort of. It's a Philly suburb accent, which I can't even classify. It's different enough from a philly accent that when I hear a Philadelphian accent I'm like "wow, what a retard"
    Last edited by Masali; 09-14-2007 at 06:06 PM.
    All The Ways You Wish Could Be? That's me

Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I've always thought that most of the American accents sound the same, save for southern and heavy Brooklyn, but how many people actually have a real Brooklyn accent? I never hear it anymore. Then you have the "Black people accents" (sorry didn't know what else to call it lol) I swear sometimes it seems like their starting their own language!

And midwest people don't talk "slow" Mary, you just talk super fast.

If I had to imagin being from somewhere else and hearing an American accent, I would think it was somewhat obnoxious sounding, maybe a tad harsh. I've heard people say we sound nasaly. I know that compared to the British, we speak more from the 'middle' or 'back' of our mouths, rather then on the tip.

If I switch from an American to British accent I can feel the difference, British accents feel very light and on the tip of the tongue.

A MaruDashi Creation

LUCKY DUCK Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus has a reputation beyond repute Capernicus's Avatar
    Gil
    Gay
    Gifts Xmas Tree Favorite Heart
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-05-2010 10:49 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 2405-1826-7239-5951

That was utter nonesense, Brooke!

You talk like a snail

Back, by popular demand! Now with new avy.

Just Some Color Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala has a reputation beyond repute Fabala's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-08-2016 01:16 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Of course everyone has an accent o.O You just don't hear your own or that of those with accents like yours. And, certainly, some are stronger or more distinctive than others. Apparently the Dutch accent is less strong than most, which is probably why I've been told I don't have much of one. People out here in Aussieland can't figure out if I'm American, Irish, or Canadian. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    I dislike American English in general. It's systematic abuse of the English language. Just take the case of "Aluminum." Seriously, that's just wrong on so many levels.

I'll take a good Aussie or British accent before an American, any day.
    Ah, the age-old "aluminum" versus "aluminium" debate. Did you know it was originally written and pronounced "aluminum" (the way Americans say and spell it), but was changed to "aluminium" to better fit in with the names of other elements?

So both are correct ;p I take things like this to heart because being an American in Aussieland I'm teased for saying things like that.

Don't even get me started on to-may-to and to-mah-to. Bah!

Senior Member GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP has much to be proud of GGP's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-03-2007 06:29 PM
    Threads

i have an irish-american accent, its kinda cool

Got Jesus? GodOrDevil? is on a distinguished road GodOrDevil?'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-22-2007 11:02 PM
    Threads

Wow, I guess that I'm the only person who is a sucker for French accents on here. Also, I love german accents,

Junior Member Curiositykills has much to be proud of Curiositykills has much to be proud of Curiositykills has much to be proud of Curiositykills has much to be proud of Curiositykills has much to be proud of Curiositykills has much to be proud of Curiositykills has much to be proud of Curiositykills has much to be proud of Curiositykills has much to be proud of Curiositykills's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-14-2007 08:01 PM
    why shouldu get to know that bit of info? o.O
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by The Janitor View Post
    I've always thought that most of the American accents sound the same, save for southern and heavy Brooklyn, but how many people actually have a real Brooklyn accent? I never hear it anymore. Then you have the "Black people accents" (sorry didn't know what else to call it lol) I swear sometimes it seems like their starting their own language!
    I hear deep Brooklyn accents all of the time, I guess it really depends on where you live....and I am black lol so yea i know what you're talking about right there many black people say stuff a different way than some other people so I guess it is like we're speaking our own language, I know some people state that I sound like or have an accent like if I was from New York when in actual reality i am from Maryland...

but yes I think we do have the best accents aside from the British...

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2020 05:11 PM
    Threads

I live in southern california. And i really don't have an accent. I just have a deep voice.

SPARKLE SPARKLE!!! Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra has a reputation beyond repute Myrra's Avatar
    Gil
    Ornery
    Gifts Tsubasa Mokona Eva Penpen
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-12-2015 07:17 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

*laughs* I'm like a connoisseur of accents. I make it a habit to listen to the way people speak and take note of where they live which makes it easier for me to identify where other people are from.
    I'm a sucker for a lovely accent, be it a true (American) southern accent, an Aussie accent (I can identify a few of their regional accents), or my favourite which is my b/f's accent which isn't quite a true scouser accent. So I'm biased. Sue me.
    Anime-Tron

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Mom: Iris Brother: Cypher Sister: LPS Boyfriend: Rodimus
    Siggy by DPBM

Closed Thread

Thread Information