AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com


User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51

Thread: A discussion of manga vs American comics

  1. #26
    boopaloop! Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111's Avatar
    Gil
    87,937.30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-05-2010 08:24 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Under your bed
    Age
    27
    Threads
    58
    Posts
    4,127
    Rep Power
    2159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    Seriously how many romance comics come out a year in the u.s? If the u.s comic industry ever wants to be on the same level as manga they need viable genres that get new entries on a regular basis.
    Seriously, why would we want romance comics to come out?

    face·less –adjective 2.lacking personal distinction or identity


  2. #27
    Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    77,827.33
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 05:41 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    29
    Threads
    77
    Posts
    4,488
    Blog Entries
    219
    AW Wallpapers
    12
    Rep Power
    2836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faceless111 View Post
    Seriously, why would we want romance comics to come out?
    I read one directed at 15 year old American girls.

    But thats it really...
    And yes, Why DO we want Romance comics?
    Big woop, one sub-genre that pollutes book shelves, Television, Movies, and even Video Games to an extent.

    However, there were a TON of Romance Comics back in the 50's-60's during the Golden Age of comics...But, oh wait, Comics Code came by, then those series all failed.

  3. #28
    Senior Member Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem's Avatar
    Gil
    24,126.31
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2008 03:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Threads
    50
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    @Rem: But, 90% of manga is either stereotypical shojo cruft, or stereotypical shonen cruft. It's a silly argument to lambaste American comics for being overly genre-centric when most manga is too.
    But you're wrong, there is more than just shonen and shojo You're trying to say seinen, redisu, josei and a slew of others don't exsist. But the fact is there is a manga out there for any age group and there is a lot of it. And even if there was only shonen and shojo those are just demographics, that cover DOZENS of genres. And not only that were talking demographics that aren't even on the same spectrum in terms of content and style. Saying 90% of manga is just shonen and shojo is pretty much saying manga spans every genre out there with many contrasting styles. You just can't clump manga together like that it simply doesn't work.

    Why DO we want Romance comics?
    I don't know, perhaps to get an untapped market into a dying industry? Just because you wont read them doesn't mean they wouldn't help the industry.
    Last edited by Rem; 08-17-2007 at 01:15 AM.

  4. #29
    There's nothing new Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000 has a reputation beyond repute Manhattan_Project_2000's Avatar
    Gender
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-04-2011 12:27 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    AAAAAAAA!
    Age
    31
    Threads
    163
    Posts
    9,496
    Blog Entries
    106
    Rep Power
    5831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Deadpool- View Post
    I clicked on that link. Upon seeing the cover scans, I knew it was a trap. Please tell me someone paid you to read it.
    Ehhh, I dunno if I'll stick around. We'll see.

    The List of Hate, My self-indulgent journal-thing.
    Last Post:
    Video Vomit 05/11/11

  5. #30
    Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    77,827.33
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 05:41 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    29
    Threads
    77
    Posts
    4,488
    Blog Entries
    219
    AW Wallpapers
    12
    Rep Power
    2836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan_Project_2000 View Post
    I clicked on that link. Upon seeing the cover scans, I knew it was a trap. Please tell me someone paid you to read it.
    No.
    But Anonymous told me to read it.
    I'm a lemming with no mind of my own.

    But rest assured. I never wasted any of my actual money to read this.

    and Rem...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...hing_companies

    Here, Knock yourself out.
    If you want other comic book genre's, or non-super hero comics, then look.
    Theres plenty of diffrent genre's in there for all age groups.

    I don't know, perhaps to get an untapped market into a dying industry? Just because you wont read them doesn't mean they wouldn't help the industry.
    They already TRIED Romance comics. They FAILED.
    And the industry isn't dying, trust me.
    Take Marvel and DC.
    Mostly Super Hero comics, right? They can't POSSIBLY make much money, Right? After all, it's only ONE Genre.
    Wrong.
    The money they AREN'T making from comic books?
    They're making from Movies, TV shows, Cartoons, Video Games, Toys, a butt ton of merchandise with such crap as posters, childrens back packs, character statues, trading card games, ect ect.
    And all of these things also help boast comic sales in the longe run. A little kid gets back from seeing Spider-Man 2 with his parents, he wants to go out and buy spider-man comics and merchandise.
    Last edited by -Batman-; 08-17-2007 at 01:39 AM.

  6. #31
    boopaloop! Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111's Avatar
    Gil
    87,937.30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-05-2010 08:24 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Under your bed
    Age
    27
    Threads
    58
    Posts
    4,127
    Rep Power
    2159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    I don't know, perhaps to get an untapped market into a dying industry? Just because you wont read them doesn't mean they wouldn't help the industry.
    There are many more discontinued manga series than American series because there's just too many. Romance comics wouldn't help the industry, all the series would most likely be killed after the first 15-20 issues. If it's targeted towards teen girls, they're probably too big on manga to give American comics a chance and won't buy the American comics anyways. And I highly doubt it would bring in much revenue.

    face·less –adjective 2.lacking personal distinction or identity


  7. #32
    Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    77,827.33
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 05:41 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    29
    Threads
    77
    Posts
    4,488
    Blog Entries
    219
    AW Wallpapers
    12
    Rep Power
    2836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faceless111 View Post
    If it's targeted towards teen girls, they're probably too big on manga to give American comics a chance and won't buy the American comics anyways. And I highly doubt it would bring in much revenue.
    Yeah, this is pretty much accurate.
    ...Which makes me wonder why Spider-Man loves mary jane sells...

  8. #33
    Senior Member Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem's Avatar
    Gil
    24,126.31
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2008 03:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Threads
    50
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    They already TRIED Romance comics. They FAILED.
    Yes, they did try, they tried 40 years ago. Given the fact that romance manga is increadibly popular with girls in todays market. I see no reason in the world why american creators couldn't produce them and make a mint.

    The money they AREN'T making from comic books?
    Who cares? Just because they can sell a lot of spider man crap means the character is popular not that the comic industry isn't dying in the U.s. Comic book shops have been dying year after year until now where I think there's like 2000 real comic shops in the states. How many crashes has the comic industry had again?
    There are many more discontinued manga series than American series because there's just too many
    What do you mean by discountinued? That the mangaka isn't making any more or that a publisher dropped it? In which case the only publishers that drop things regularly is tokyopop and ADV, the ladder of which hardly puts stuff out any more anyway.
    Romance comics wouldn't help the industry, all the series would most likely be killed after the first 15-20 issues.
    Your arguement has no base at all, romance manga are selling very well. And if they are marketed the right way the could do the same for american comics.
    If it's targeted towards teen girls, they're probably too big on manga to give American comics a chance and won't buy the American comics anyways. And I highly doubt it would bring in much revenue.
    Again this has no basis at all, especially since no one has really tried to push for it. How can you say it will fail when girls are buying romance manga and for a span of 20 years they even did well in the U.s.

    Putting the romance aside you guys are getting bogged down from the main point. American comics need more viable genres, romance is only one of them.

  9. #34
    boopaloop! Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111's Avatar
    Gil
    87,937.30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-05-2010 08:24 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Under your bed
    Age
    27
    Threads
    58
    Posts
    4,127
    Rep Power
    2159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    What do you mean by discountinued? That the mangaka isn't making any more or that a publisher dropped it? In which case the only publishers that drop things regularly is tokyopop and ADV, the ladder of which hardly puts stuff out any more anyway.

    Your arguement has no base at all, romance manga are selling very well. And if they are marketed the right way the could do the same for american comics.

    Again this has no basis at all, especially since no one has really tried to push for it. How can you say it will fail when girls are buying romance manga and for a span of 20 years they even did well in the U.s.

    Putting the romance aside you guys are getting bogged down from the main point. American comics need more viable genres, romance is only one of them.
    There's really only one way to interpret "discontinued" in this case. They stop publishing them.

    Romance manga is selling well to the japanophiles who wouldn't pick up an American comic book to save their lives.

    And you keep saying we need more genres. Why? We got horror, comedy, mystery, action/adventure, fantasy, sci-fi, movie-based, game-based, samurai drama, and I'll even say romance (Spider-Man loves Mary Jane). Manga has too many branches, all of which could be more easily clumped together in accurate filing.

    face·less –adjective 2.lacking personal distinction or identity


  10. #35
    Senior Member Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem's Avatar
    Gil
    24,126.31
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2008 03:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Threads
    50
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Why? We got horror, comedy, mystery, action/adventure, fantasy, sci-fi, movie-based, game-based, samurai drama, and I'll even say romance (Spider-Man loves Mary Jane). Manga has too many branches, all of which could be more easily clumped together in accurate filing.
    What do you mean we have? How many samuari dramas come out in american comics? All I can think of is the 20 year old ronin. And the last part is just none sense we have as many branches of manga as they are needed.
    There's really only one way to interpret "discontinued" in this case. They stop publishing them.
    For the sake of arguement let's just say you're right, what does that have to do at all with needing more genres?
    Romance manga is selling well to the japanophiles who wouldn't pick up an American comic book to save their lives.
    Because no american comic books cater to what they like. My bosses 8 year old daughter buys spider man loves mary jane monthy. If they made more romance comics I'm sure she would buy those too.

    Look at horror for a minute, I'm a huge horror fan and have picked up mars attacks, hell raiser, the walking dead, aliens whatever. But anything decent at all coming out in that genre is sporadic at best. If they tried to revive horror comics I know I would start buying them again.

  11. #36
    Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    77,827.33
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 05:41 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    29
    Threads
    77
    Posts
    4,488
    Blog Entries
    219
    AW Wallpapers
    12
    Rep Power
    2836

    Default

    Who cares? Just because they can sell a lot of spider man crap means the character is popular not that the comic industry isn't dying in the U.s. Comic book shops have been dying year after year until now where I think there's like 2000 real comic shops in the states. How many crashes has the comic industry had again?
    Here's the thing champ, the industry isn't dying. It WAS dying, back in the 90's. However, since about 2002, comic sales have been increasing, and the industry has been taking in more and more money each year (Not counting 07, since the year isn't finished yet).
    All of that "Crap" they push and sell, that helps SELL comics. It helps get people INTERESTED in the characters again. If they're interested in the characters, they buy the comics. So far it's been working. Slowly. But working. Grant it, it isn't where it used to be, but it isn't failing like it was back in the 90's either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    What do you mean we have? How many samuari dramas come out in american comics?
    Many, if you would have clicked that link I gave a few posts up, you would have found some.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Noir
    Here, take this for example. It's called looking for yourself.

    Look at horror for a minute, I'm a huge horror fan and have picked up mars attacks, hell raiser, the walking dead, aliens whatever. But anything decent at all coming out in that genre is sporadic at best. If they tried to revive horror comics I know I would start buying them again.
    ...You're a horror fan...Yet you've never picked up the Army of Darkness comics?

  12. #37
    boopaloop! Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111's Avatar
    Gil
    87,937.30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-05-2010 08:24 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Under your bed
    Age
    27
    Threads
    58
    Posts
    4,127
    Rep Power
    2159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    For the sake of arguement let's just say you're right, what does that have to do at all with needing more genres?
    Supply and demand, my friend. Too much supply and not enough demands means the series will be discontinued. More genres? By more genres, do you mean we should copy the Japanese and create sub-genres for every branch out there? Because I've already told you that American publishers create a lot of genres already. So I don't think it'll matter if we branch out in the romance department to make genres such as boy x boy, boy x girl, girl x girl. There's three "genres" of Japanese manga right there and that's not what we need.

    face·less –adjective 2.lacking personal distinction or identity


  13. #38
    Senior Member Knightmare has a reputation beyond repute Knightmare has a reputation beyond repute Knightmare has a reputation beyond repute Knightmare has a reputation beyond repute Knightmare has a reputation beyond repute Knightmare has a reputation beyond repute Knightmare has a reputation beyond repute Knightmare has a reputation beyond repute Knightmare has a reputation beyond repute Knightmare has a reputation beyond repute Knightmare has a reputation beyond repute Knightmare's Avatar
    Gil
    75.45
    Gender
    My Mood
    Bored
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-05-2012 07:19 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In your Dreams.
    Threads
    4
    Posts
    223
    Rep Power
    92

    Default

    And dont forget the shamefull killing off of Capt America that was in the news CNN, Fox News, even Howard Stern was talking about it, so many people whent out and bought Capt America #25 they were sold out the first day.
    In seeking wisdom thou art wise; in imagining that thou hast attained it - thou art a fool. - Lord Chesterfield

  14. #39
    Senior Member Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem's Avatar
    Gil
    24,126.31
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2008 03:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Threads
    50
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    So far it's been working. Slowly. But working. Grant it, it isn't where it used to be, but it isn't failing like it was back in the 90's either.
    If it's working why don't I ever see children in comic shops. You know who I do see? Grown men, people who have been fans since they were kids. Those are the ONLY people I ever see buying comics. I think this is partly because american comics simply aren't aimed at children anymore. They know it's adults who are reading and the comcis have gotten much darker because of it. More lines aimed at younger kids would help to be sure.
    ...You're a horror fan...Yet you've never picked up the Army of Darkness comics?
    Nope, I'm sure it's fine but I've found most of the movie based comics to be increadibly bland. So I just skipepd over it, and I've also stopped buying alien comics since they were pretty much all crap. More original horror lines would be great. I would love an invasion of the bodysnatcher style comic.

    Many, if you would have clicked that link I gave a few posts up, you would have found some.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Noir
    Here, take this for example. It's called looking for yourself.
    It's wonderful that they are making series like that, and is why image is the only publisher I ever buy anything from anymore. But it's a drop in the bucket, the industry needs more stuff like that.

    And faceless I found just about everything in your post wrong, but I don't really want to nitpick the whole thing.
    Last edited by Rem; 08-17-2007 at 04:36 PM.

  15. #40
    Star-Crossed Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku has a reputation beyond repute Buruku's Avatar
    Gil
    78,544.10
    Gender
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-17-2010 05:21 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    29
    Threads
    112
    Posts
    3,140
    Blog Entries
    495
    Rep Power
    4641
    Gamer IDs

    Wii Code: 0202-0359-4623-9027

    Default

    Well I guess I'll give my input on what the discussion is currently focused on.

    I think American Comics have made a small comback, which I believe to be only because of all the current superhero movies being made. I don't feel the American Comic industry is "well-off" at all. Please do not mistake that as a bash towards American comics, as I enjoy them as much as Japanese comics, but I'm not going to pretend the industry isn't hurting simply because I like them.

    Reasons:

    1. The best kind of success happens when you appeal to a large audiance, especially newer generations. American comics are failing to do this in comparison to other printed media. I am well aware from outside resources, as well as whats been said in this thread that there are and has been other genres of American Comics. However, are these comics being marketed? Where are they? Why aren't more being made regularily?

    2. That kind of brings me to my next point, is marketing: There simply isn't enough. Mechandise and movies being made is a big help, but only to the comics that the movies are being made after. Also, the people who buy the merchandise like toys, lunch boxes, clothes, are children, and I never ever ever see kids with Comics, so how effective is it really?

    3. It's undeniable that the main A. comic consumers are older people, people that grew up reading them. Obviously you have younger people like the ones on this forum, but as the age drops so do the numbers of those that buy/read them. If the American Comic industry doesn't start doing something new, or actually try to Market to younger buyers, then it's slowly going to go downhill. (Even more so)

    Anyway, those are my thoughts for now. I would like to turn some of the discussion over to manga, so we can complain about that a little.
    A MaruDashi Creation

  16. #41
    The-devil-bringeR lordrellik8 has a reputation beyond repute lordrellik8 has a reputation beyond repute lordrellik8 has a reputation beyond repute lordrellik8 has a reputation beyond repute lordrellik8 has a reputation beyond repute lordrellik8 has a reputation beyond repute lordrellik8 has a reputation beyond repute lordrellik8 has a reputation beyond repute lordrellik8 has a reputation beyond repute lordrellik8 has a reputation beyond repute lordrellik8 has a reputation beyond repute lordrellik8's Avatar
    Gil
    11,560.00
    Gender
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-24-2010 04:16 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Next-to-the-reapeR
    Age
    28
    Threads
    29
    Posts
    578
    Rep Power
    1717

    Cool ?

    I think manga is better the american comic,
    I just do.

    You know what I'm saying!
    Non mihi, Non tibi, Sed nobis!
    Not for me, Not for you, But for us!

    Xbox Live Gamertag: lordrellik8
    Feel free to add me as a friend.

  17. #42
    Senior Member Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem's Avatar
    Gil
    24,126.31
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2008 03:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Threads
    50
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    There are non super hero comics out there to be sure, Dark horse and the DC vertigo line are both awesome. And image has a mix, but 80% of comics are still super hero based. And what sucks is that remaining 20% is NOT what is getting to people. Most of the stores I go to that carry american comics will have a mess of trade paper backs for super hero books and maybe 300 or V for vendetta. People just aren't seeing Fell or DMZ, or whatever.

    The market is lopsided to begin with and to add insult to injury the stuff out there that isn't super hero bases is impossible to find outside of a comic book shop. And just forget about things done by indie publishers. Unless you're already a comics fan you just wont find out about other stuff and that's a huge problem. The only place I ever see ads for comics is in OTHER comics. Plus those comics that aren't super hero related are still pretty much for males in there teens and up. You need books for women and kids, that's one of the reasons manga sells so well.
    Last edited by Rem; 08-17-2007 at 05:37 PM.

  18. #43
    Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    15,196.52
    Gender
    Gifts Cancer IPhone Ramen
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-21-2016 10:01 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan
    Age
    33
    Threads
    77
    Posts
    1,417
    Rep Power
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    And dont forget the shamefull killing off of Capt America that was in the news CNN, Fox News, even Howard Stern was talking about it, so many people whent out and bought Capt America #25 they were sold out the first day.
    I remember that was the same with Superman dying 15 years ago. Even President Bush at the time was talking about it and mourned for his death!!!

    Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

  19. #44
    boopaloop! Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111's Avatar
    Gil
    87,937.30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-05-2010 08:24 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Under your bed
    Age
    27
    Threads
    58
    Posts
    4,127
    Rep Power
    2159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    And faceless I found just about everything in your post wrong, but I don't really want to nitpick the whole thing.
    Please expand, otherwise I'll have no choice but to completely ignore you.

    face·less –adjective 2.lacking personal distinction or identity


  20. #45
    Senior Member Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem's Avatar
    Gil
    24,126.31
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2008 03:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Threads
    50
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faceless111 View Post
    Please expand, otherwise I'll have no choice but to completely ignore you.
    I wouldn't care if you did. I have already stated several times why romance comcis would be good for the industry. I don't feel like argueing in a loop with you. Especially since you're argument boils down to the fact you personally don't want romance comics and the genres they bring and that you don't think they would add anything.

  21. #46
    Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    77,827.33
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 05:41 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    29
    Threads
    77
    Posts
    4,488
    Blog Entries
    219
    AW Wallpapers
    12
    Rep Power
    2836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    If it's working why don't I ever see children in comic shops.
    I've been going to the same comic shop for 15 years, since I was a child.
    To this day I still see children go into the same comic shop, and I still see children buying comics. And I go to this shop 4-8 times a month.

    You know who I do see? Grown men, people who have been fans since they were kids. Those are the ONLY people I ever see buying comics.
    It depends on where you live and where the shop is located, truthfully.

    I think this is partly because american comics simply aren't aimed at children anymore.
    There are plenty aimed at kids. A lot of comics published by DC and Marvel are like E rated video games. You can be 13 or 30 and still enjoy them. The rest are like T rated games. A few girls in the occasional bikini, some blood, and the occasional Damn, Hell, Arse, ect.
    All the adult aimed Grand Theft Auto level things from those companies will have Vertigo (DC) or MAX (Marvel) imprints.
    And some companies only publish adult material, you're right, which is fine. Take Darkhorse, they publish both adult oriented comic books AND Manga. Thats fine since diffrent companies will publish diffrent things.

    It's wonderful that they are making series like that, and is why image is the only publisher I ever buy anything from anymore. But it's a drop in the bucket, the industry needs more stuff like that.
    It's getting there. Remember, MOST of these companies in the past few years have been losing their older staff members. Be in due to retirement or seeking other career paths. Yadda Yadda.
    They've been getting Newer, Younger artists and writters in who KNOW what people like you want. You can't expect a massive change over night, it takes time.
    Even in Super Hero comics, i've noticed a drastic change in how things work these past couple of years. Change is a gradule thing, and the increase in comic sales every year for the past five years or so is proof of this. And I've also been seeing more and more works outside of the super hero genre, as well as more and more works with mixed art styles from other countries (Like European and Japanese comics) On the flip side, i've seen some manga publishers publish super hero manga.
    Obviously these companies need to compete with japanese manga, they're awair of this, they've been doing plenty of experiments with diffrent things to see what appeals and what doesn't.
    But they can't forsake the works they've already put their hearts into.

    They also can't commision a dozen and one new genre's in the period of a year or two, because if all of those comics do fail, guess what? Then they're really screwed, thats a ton of money wasted. Jumping headfirst into projects because the other guy is doing it is just as bad for buisness as not doing anything new at all.
    Give it some time. Most companies only started these changes around 2000 or so, which is about the same time Manga became popular in the united states and in mainstream US media. These same companies have also, let me repeat, been doing steadily better than they were in the 90's because of it.

  22. #47
    Senior Member Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem's Avatar
    Gil
    24,126.31
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2008 03:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Threads
    50
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    I've been going to the same comic shop for 15 years, since I was a child.
    To this day I still see children go into the same comic shop, and I still see children buying comics. And I go to this shop 4-8 times a month.
    Were at a stand still here since were both giving anecdotal evidence.

    There are plenty aimed at kids. A lot of comics published by DC and Marvel are like E rated video games.
    For the sake of arguement lets say there are a lot of kids comics out there, they still are not the ones making it to mainstream stores. And you can't deny american comics have gotten MUCH darker over the past ten or so years. The amount of violence has just gone through the roof, compare the content of a 60s era captain america to one of todays.
    i've seen some manga publishers publish super hero manga
    All I can think of here is that non manga OEL crap that tokyopop put out, I don't follow them but I recall one being about super heroes.
    Jumping headfirst into projects because the other guy is doing it is just as bad for buisness as not doing anything new at all
    It isn't really any worse than the huge mega cross overs that have been getting luke warm reception. Or killing off huge characters just to get attention. Or just trying to rip off that big eye sweat drop crap liked they did with that joke "mangaverse." I hope you're right about new blood pushing in more bold directions. I love comics in any fashion and want only the best for the U.s industry. I just don't know if the comics industry could survive another crash. Only time will tell to see how they shape up though.

  23. #48
    boopaloop! Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111 has a reputation beyond repute Faceless111's Avatar
    Gil
    87,937.30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-05-2010 08:24 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Under your bed
    Age
    27
    Threads
    58
    Posts
    4,127
    Rep Power
    2159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    I wouldn't care if you did. I have already stated several times why romance comcis would be good for the industry. I don't feel like argueing in a loop with you. Especially since you're argument boils down to the fact you personally don't want romance comics and the genres they bring and that you don't think they would add anything.
    Loops? You keep saying American comics need more genres. That's loopy. We don't need more genres just because manga comes up with a new genre at every corner. Trying to expand massively could bring about another collapse, so I don't think we should take hints from manga industries. Besides, there's already American publishers that print manga and I doubt if we divide into more genres within manga publications that it'll help sales. The American industries are wider than you give them credit for.

    BTW, I'd just like to say that I see plenty of kids shopping at my comic book store too.

    face·less –adjective 2.lacking personal distinction or identity


  24. #49
    Senior Member -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman- has a reputation beyond repute -Batman-'s Avatar
    Gil
    77,827.33
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-07-2011 05:41 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    29
    Threads
    77
    Posts
    4,488
    Blog Entries
    219
    AW Wallpapers
    12
    Rep Power
    2836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    Were at a stand still here since were both giving anecdotal evidence.
    yay stand stills.

    For the sake of arguement lets say there are a lot of kids comics out there, they still are not the ones making it to mainstream stores.
    This is true, however, define mainstream stores?
    If we're talking about things like Walmart or something, I never see manga in places like that either. The only place I see manga outside of comic shops are book stores.
    I do agree they should have a bit more in terms of titles directed at children, because i've seen the current ones. Most are based on The Simpsons and crappy Nickolodean and Cartoon Network toons (Teen Titans GO! However, based on the cartoon network show, sold well to my understanding), so most of them aren't even worth mentioning.
    They did try this a few years ago over at Marvel to draw in new readers with the Ultimate line, as the 60 something years of continuity probably caused a lot of newer generations to stray away from comics, and it's been succeeding well...but they can't come out with a new Ultimate line every 15-20 years.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Marvel
    ^If you read the link you'll see what I mean.

    And you can't deny american comics have gotten MUCH darker over the past ten or so years. The amount of violence has just gone through the roof, compare the content of a 60s era captain america to one of todays.
    Of course they have, but look at it from a larger perspective.
    What form of media hasn't gotten more violent or just over-all darker as time passes? Movies, Music, Video Games...They've ALL gotten more violent.
    The reason comics back then weren't so violent is because the comics code was still in effect for just about every publisher. Once companies started breaking away from it, they were allowed to do much more.
    And since American Comic Books were basically censored to the extreme from the 1930's, up untill the 1990's, can you BLAME them for wanting darker comics?

    All I can think of here is that non manga OEL crap that tokyopop put out, I don't follow them but I recall one being about super heroes.
    I was actually talking about things like this.

    Unrelated note to the argument: ^The link above was an awsome Manga.

    It isn't really any worse than the huge mega cross overs that have been getting luke warm reception. Or killing off huge characters just to get attention
    Actually, Killing off huge characters or Cross Overs can be a good thing.
    Annihilation had a great reception. World War Hulk IS getting a great reception, and killing cap was more of a symbolisim thing. It wasn't a pointless death like jean greys or supermans, just so they could say "ZOMG, <name> Is DEAD! BAWW"

    Or just trying to rip off that big eye sweat drop crap liked they did with that joke "mangaverse."
    ...They're making another one btw.
    I was sad when I heard this.
    But that joke mangaverse is what I was talking about with experimenting. They see how popular manga has become, so they tested to see how well it would sell if they were to try it.
    Obviously it failed horribly (Seriously, Incredible Hulk is Godzilla, everyone but Spider-Man and Wolverine are Women, Black Cat is a freakin' android, and like...30 main characters died every issue)
    Now, imagine if Marvel made an entire series of mangaverse things off the bat. That would have ended them.
    Ultimate for example (again), only started off as One ongoing comic. it was popular, so they expanded and made more. Ultimate is still pretty solid in sales terms.

    I hope you're right about new blood pushing in more bold directions. I love comics in any fashion and want only the best for the U.s industry. I just don't know if the comics industry could survive another crash. Only time will tell to see how they shape up though.
    Right, and don't get me wrong I've got nothing against manga either. Just that all of the series I like are over, and I can't stand the newer series that everyone eats up because of the kawaiiness crap most seem to have.
    But as it stands right now, Comic sales in the US have been improving.

  25. #50
    Senior Member Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem has much to be proud of Rem's Avatar
    Gil
    24,126.31
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-19-2008 03:15 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Threads
    50
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    This is true, however, define mainstream stores?
    Wallmart would by great, they do carry naruto and shonen jump after all. But I mean stores like FYE or hell ever borders since their selection is lacking when it comes to U.s stuff.

    I was actually talking about things like this.
    Oh THAT'S what you meant, yeah the guy who wrote blame also worked on a wolverine mini series. I got confused because you see to me even though japanese creators did them they are still comic books. Just like if frank miller made a sequel to lone wolf and cub or whatever for the japanese to me that's manga. It's all about who it's for, but that TOTALLY unrelated.
    Ultimate for example (again), only started off as One ongoing comic. it was popular, so they expanded and made more. Ultimate is still pretty solid in sales terms.
    Ultimate was great though, the whole mangaverse was just a wretched idea from the start. Manga isn't popular because it's drawn in a certain style. It's popular because of the way it written. And how character driven it is, they just didn't get it and they still don't clearly.
    Right, and don't get me wrong I've got nothing against manga either. Just that all of the series I like are over, and I can't stand the newer series that everyone eats up because of the kawaiiness crap most seem to have.
    See we aren't so differen't after all lol.

Closed Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Anime Vs Manga
    By [BlackDeath] in forum General Anime & Manga
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 09:16 PM
  2. Fonts used in Manga
    By Hera in forum General Anime & Manga
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 03:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts