AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: How in the world do I translate this joke?

Junior Member Ivyna J. Spyder is on a distinguished road Ivyna J. Spyder's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-13-2007 01:53 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default How in the world do I translate this joke?

I'm at the end of my rope with this one! It's a joke involving Japanese dialects, and everyone knows how tricky it is to translate those into English and keep the same idea...

Quick background: In the episode I'm translating, this guy Dedede wanted to eat some crab, so he orders one and it's really a MONSTER crab, but it's been defeated and cooked up...

エスカル:先生お待ちどうさん、これがホンマの蟹魔獣の味どすえ。
    Thanks for waiting, now here's the true taste of the crab demon beast.
    食べておみーん、なんちゃって。
    Give it a try. (Here's one- I'm told he's speaking in a kind of old fashioned way here, as my friend put it "He's speaking in sort of an old way which women in the hotel had spoked in the past because the crab is rich dish in Japan from the past." The way I translated it probably doesn't fit but I'm not sure what a good equivalent would be.)

デデデ:ふん、アホボケカス、そないな気味の悪い化けもん、食えるかいちゅうてんねん、あぁ?ならおのれが 食うたらええやないけ、え?どうやねん?
    You idiot, is that creepy demon beast even edible? Why don’t you eat it? Hm? (Is this correct? Kansai is so weird ;_; )

エスカル:ちょっと陛下何で関西弁になっちゃってんの、それ?
    Wait, Your Majesty, why did you just start speaking in a Kansai accent? (The character doesn't normally speak that way.)

My friend believes that Dedede started speaking in the Kansai accent because he misunderstood the kind of accent Escargon was using and was trying to imitate him.

I just have no idea how to convey this in subtitles! I know Kansai tends to become a Southern accent in dubs, though I'm not sure how that'd work in a sub. What kind of accent would Escargon's line be? I don't know what it's equivalent might be...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is A Girl ;)
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug has a reputation beyond repute LavaBug's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-14-2014 10:22 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Why dont you just write an explanation note about that guy speaking another dialect instead of trying to come up with something else that possibly won't work in a written way?

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    royal_ken is a jewel in the rough royal_ken is a jewel in the rough royal_ken is a jewel in the rough royal_ken is a jewel in the rough royal_ken's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-13-2008 05:40 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

I see you're translating tensai bakabon hehe

Eskaru's accent sounds like the ones used in Kyoto which is fairly close to Osaka but they sound a bit different from each other.

I agree with lavabug that a written explanation might be the best to show the differences in accent.

Dedede talks quite aggressively with his accent (sounds like he's looking for a fight). The Kansai accent doesn't exactly sound pretty and people might spontaneously use it to sound demeaning. If I translate the line you've put up, it goes like this...

デデデ:ふん、アホボケカス、そないな気味の悪い化けもん、食えるかいちゅうてんねん、あぁ? ならおのれが 食うたらええやないけ、え?どうやねん?
    Heh, you idiot, there's no way I'd eat that creepy monster. Aa? Then, why don’t you eat it? Hm? What're you going to do?

Junior Member Ivyna J. Spyder is on a distinguished road Ivyna J. Spyder's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-13-2007 01:53 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by LavaBug View Post
    Why dont you just write an explanation note about that guy speaking another dialect instead of trying to come up with something else that possibly won't work in a written way?
    That's the option of last resort. I'm not a fan of big long explanations on a sub that makes you have to pause to read it, ya know? But I guess in this case there's no avoiding! Curse those accents...

Quote Originally Posted by royal_ken View Post
    Dedede talks quite aggressively with his accent (sounds like he's looking for a fight). The Kansai accent doesn't exactly sound pretty and people might spontaneously use it to sound demeaning. If I translate the line you've put up, it goes like this...

デデデ:ふん、アホボケカス、そないな気味の悪い化けもん、食えるかいちゅうてんねん、あぁ? ならおのれが 食うたらええやないけ、え?どうやねん?
    Heh, you idiot, there's no way I'd eat that creepy monster. Aa? Then, why don’t you eat it? Hm? What're you going to do?
    Ah, that looks perfect. XD Actually a friend of mine had translated that line since I get so lost when it comes to Kansai dialects...

Any idea for Escargon's line though? I mean, it's gotta have more meaning to it than what I wrote (what exactly is that 'nanchatte' part? I'm having trouble finding it.)

Thanks!

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    royal_ken is a jewel in the rough royal_ken is a jewel in the rough royal_ken is a jewel in the rough royal_ken is a jewel in the rough royal_ken's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-13-2008 05:40 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

The phrase nanchatte is used when someone makes a joke really. As a vague example, it's like saying "it's raining, not". You add, nanchatte after you say something odd basically. I haven't watched this episode so I don't know exactly what Escargon's referring to but he might have just changed the wording of "Tabetemi" -> "Tabeteomi-n".

食べておみーん、なんちゃって
    Have a bite, just kidding

That's how I would translate the line literally but you'll have to show a change in wording to make it work. Write a queer way of asking someone to eat I guess hehe

Closed Thread

Thread Information