AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: How Japanese is Japanese Anime/Manga

Junior Member Cheyenneke is on a distinguished road Cheyenneke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-31-2007 09:38 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default How Japanese is Japanese Anime/Manga

Hi everyone,
    I am writing an essay about cultural imperialsm (globalization) in east asia, emphasizing the influence of Japanese culture. Now is my question, do you feel that Japanese anime/manga represents Japanese society (can you give some examples), or do you feel that it perhaps reflects western society or a broader asian society (examples, if you have any).

I would love for you to help me, good answers (opinions) could be used in my essay if you allow me to. Perhaps you know of any internetsites that address this question, that information is welcome too. If you have an answer, please post it as fast as you can, or email it directly to me ([email protected]) because the essay is due wednesday

I hope anyone can help me,
    All best Cheyenneke.

Keiko here~~~ Interpreter has a reputation beyond repute Interpreter has a reputation beyond repute Interpreter has a reputation beyond repute Interpreter has a reputation beyond repute Interpreter has a reputation beyond repute Interpreter has a reputation beyond repute Interpreter has a reputation beyond repute Interpreter has a reputation beyond repute Interpreter has a reputation beyond repute Interpreter has a reputation beyond repute Interpreter has a reputation beyond repute Interpreter's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-07-2009 05:46 PM
    Threads

Can I just give my opinion?

I think that anime/manga,in general, came from japan. but if to say that it represents the japanese society, I believe that it is a wrong perception, since there are many different anime/manga that did not take place in japan, like Kyou Kara Maou, that mostly took place in an alternate universe, or Victoria Emma, where the entire story is held in England. I think the perfect answer to your question is, japanese anime/manga can represent any society it chooses to represent. Therefore, we cannot loophole all the anime/manga to just one criteria, whether it represents the japanese society or the western society, though there are anime/manga that gives that kind of impression, like Tactics. I might have missed a point or what, but I hope you can finish your essay on time! :-)
    Legend_S. Forever a great friend, will never forget you. R.I.P.

Made by dearest sis akari_aurion! XP Arigatou ne~

Junior Member Cheyenneke is on a distinguished road Cheyenneke's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-31-2007 09:38 AM
    Threads

Default What about Japanese identity

Keiko_90,
    I agree with your point about how the setting of an anime series or film does not have to be in Japan, but what about Japanese identity. Do you, or does anyone feel that perhaps Japanese values and morals are hidden in anime, even if the series is set in England?
    All best,
    Cheyenneke

Senior Member ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo has a reputation beyond repute ParaParaJMo's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    01-14-2024 08:26 PM
    Threads

Well, I wouldn't say all anime does. I mean, does Record of Lodoss War that does not take place in Japan mean it doesn't reflect Japanese culture or society? Who knows. Maybe we don't know because we aren't Japanese and there are some elements that are critical of Japanese society.

I'll start with something easy, like GTO, short for Great Teacher Onizuka. It's probably Fujisawa-sensei's critique of the Japanese education system. It gives a foreign viewer some accuracy of how a Japanese school system works. Like they wear uniforms, students stay in one class while teachers go to other classrooms, it's highly exam based. It also emphasizes the problems that Japanese students have on themselves such as school-withdraw, etc. It also talks about the teacher's roles to Japanese society. I think material such as this is a good example of how Japanese it is.

An old boxing manga called Ashita no Joe made back in the late 1960s talked about the poor people during post World War II. How Japan even 20 years after the war was still struggling and how Joe was like their role model. In a way, he's Japan's Rocky Balboa. He came from nothing and made it to the top. It is also a satire about women in Japanese society through Yoko, Joe's love interest, who is trying to be a boxing promoter in what is still dominantly a man's sport worldwide and she's doing it in a male dominated society and people are telling her she can't do it.

Initial D talks about Japan's under ground racing culture in the country side miles away from Tokyo. It also covers other society problems such as Enjo Kosai (compensated dating, a fancy way of saying prostitution) through Takumi's lover interest Natsuki with a nameless rich man who is just known as "The Benz Driver."

And you can get political with Sanctuary. It's about how two best friends want to take over Japan. One friend enters politics, and one becomes the head of the yakuza and they want to combine forces to change the nation.

I think some people like to write manga for fun. Like with King of Bandit Jing, and then there are some mangas that talk about Japanese society or culture.
    Check out my anime reviews at: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/users/hajimenojmo[/URL] and http://blog.honeyfeed.fm/

Closed Thread

Thread Information